Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KakerMix posted:

I tell you, I am absolutely enjoying my time in Germany. The stark, STARK difference between a functional society and Florida is amazing.
I think it was a Volvo exec from Sweden who complained to the governor of Florida about the state of the roads there because on a demo drive a bunch of the Volvo's driver assistance features wouldn't work because the lines on the road were so faded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Wheeee posted:

it's been a while so perhaps it's changed, but i love the experience of driving from Alberta to Saskatchewan on the trans-canada, gliding along beautiful smooth black pavement with a razor-sharp transition precisely on the border to feeling like you just drove onto a fuckin side road
It's gotten better in recent years, but it used to be you could tell with your eyes closed when you crossed into Pennsylvania. From any direction.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, poo poo, you can do that from county to county.

The same with road conditions during snow. My neighborhood can be pristine but then there's rutted slush on the local business route. The difference being my road is the township's responsibility and they do pretty well. The business route is a state road and it's considered secondary to the highways so it isn't touched as much.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ilkhan posted:

We really should be building more trains/tracks. Most of our transcontinental train issues arise because we run almost all East/West train traffic through the rail clusterfuck that is Chicago.

The problem with this is the existence of the heavily subsidized National Airspace System, and the 737. As long as those two things exist, passenger rail travel in the US will only be available in fringe situations, like Acela.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just want a better choice for driving on a sub 300 mile trip. Yeah, I could fly, but I would end up spending more time loving around at the airport.

I have a friend that lives near DC, 240ish miles away from me. It's just shy of a 4 hour drive and it isn't a BAD drive by any means, but I would sure love for it to be a 90-120 minute train trip instead. I would sure visit a lot more often.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Russia is getting hit with the double whammy of chip shortages driving vehicle prices up and 7.5% inflation.

That's $34,400 USD for a rebadged Skoda Rapide. Last year MSRP was 1.4m rubles, this year it's 1.8m, dealers are asking 2.4m.

The Lada Vesta Sport MSRP is 1,209,900 rubles, or around $16,800. This dealer is asking 1,745,900 ruble, or around $24,300.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 12, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrYenko posted:

The problem with this is the existence of the heavily subsidized National Airspace System, and the 737. As long as those two things exist, passenger rail travel in the US will only be available in fringe situations, like Acela.
Agreed. But still we can dream. Airplanes are fast. Cars are cheap. Rail is... Neither.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I just want a better choice for driving on a sub 300 mile trip. Yeah, I could fly, but I would end up spending more time loving around at the airport.

I have a friend that lives near DC, 240ish miles away from me. It's just shy of a 4 hour drive and it isn't a BAD drive by any means, but I would sure love for it to be a 90-120 minute train trip instead. I would sure visit a lot more often.

I used to live in DC and took Amtrak to get to my sister's graduation in Boston. Travel time was 8 hours - exactly the same as driving because I wasn't gonna pay the $$$ for Acela. Still better than driving because I could just screw around on my phone or sleep! I just had to hop on (3 AM lol) and get off at 11 AM, they had beer and microwaved burgers if you got hungry :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At first glance, take Japan

Either of the non-local bullet trains from Tokyo to Kyoto? Like $125 and 2.5hr.
Local carrier flight is like $90 round trip and is roughly half the time

You end up saving a decent chunk of money with the flight even after the airport specific train fees to/from the airport and train station, but the time ends up being a wash once you figure in security / boarding / etc. Still worth trying though. If I were going from Tokyo to Hokkaido or whatever I'd for sure fly though since the time delta is much more in favor of flying.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ilkhan posted:

Agreed. But still we can dream. Airplanes are fast. Cars are cheap. Rail is... Neither.

It works fine in a bunch of other countries. Riding the train from Tokyo to Osaka is a hell of a lot more pleasant doesn’t really take any more time than flying. And those aren’t especially fast by modern high speed rail standards.

Rail is expensive and slow in the US because it is not heavily subsidized the way cars and air travel are.

For trips of a few hundred miles high speed rail is the sweet spot.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 12, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I'm a bit confused: are you saying the APR of the loan influences how likely someone is to pay it back?

Yes. If you qualify for a 0 APR loan you probably have many other positive factors in your credit profile.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

For trips of a few hundred miles high speed rail is the sweet spot.

Especially if combined with local rail.

Part of the issue for flying for sub 300 mile trips is I already have to drive 27 miles to get to the airport which, depending on the time of day, could take almost an hour. Then park and schlep to the terminal and get through security. Suddenly I'm already 2 hours into the journey and haven't gotten anywhere.

Meanwhile, if I could drive 5 minutes and park at a light rail station that then took 15 minutes to bring me to a high speed rail station, I could potentially be under way 30 minutes after leaving my house and be almost at my destination by the 2 hour mark. I would arrive rested, having relaxed for two hours watching TV, reading, or playing video games.

It frustrates me to no end that we have the technology to do this and we have the money to do it but we won't do it, ever and even if we started now the project probably wouldn't be done in my lifetime.

It's no wonder that this generation holds on to the hope of self driving cars.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Train bathrooms are a lot bigger than airplane bathrooms, good for tuggin

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

bird with big dick posted:

Can't get into the mile high club in a train bathroom though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDozuzfVuY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PBCrunch posted:

Can't get into the mile high club in a train bathroom though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_railways

Go for it!

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Welp, just figured out that the Maverick XLT doesn't have parking sensors, for some reason this basic goddamn functionality doesn't exist in that trim. I guess I'm moving up to the Lariat, gonna see if I can change my order. I guess I'll get adaptive cruise control out of it too. I loving hate Ford's option packaging schemes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That's how Ford gets you.

The $65,000 Mach-E GT Performance Edition doesn't come with 360 cameras unless you add an additional $1900 Ford Co-Pilot 360 package which for no reason requires the $1500 panoramic roof.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Adaptive cruise owns tho so be happy that you get that also.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My next vehicle, whenever that is, must have ACC and cooled seats.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I really didn't want economy car 'leather' seats due to the Texas heat but whaddya gonna do

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

If we get a thread by Derpies about tuggin in AI I'm blaming you.

bull3964 posted:

Especially if combined with local rail.

Part of the issue for flying for sub 300 mile trips is I already have to drive 27 miles to get to the airport which, depending on the time of day, could take almost an hour. Then park and schlep to the terminal and get through security. Suddenly I'm already 2 hours into the journey and haven't gotten anywhere.

Meanwhile, if I could drive 5 minutes and park at a light rail station that then took 15 minutes to bring me to a high speed rail station, I could potentially be under way 30 minutes after leaving my house and be almost at my destination by the 2 hour mark. I would arrive rested, having relaxed for two hours watching TV, reading, or playing video games.

It frustrates me to no end that we have the technology to do this and we have the money to do it but we won't do it, ever and even if we started now the project probably wouldn't be done in my lifetime.

It's no wonder that this generation holds on to the hope of self driving cars.

Sydney / Melbourne by air is 1 hour flight time but...

Air
1hour to the airport
5-20mins to a terminal depening on which car park
1 hour to check in, security and all the other poo poo. 2 hours if it's an international/domestic partner flight
20mins to board
15 mins taxi at both end
15 mins to get the gently caress off the plane and get baggage
15 mins to get a rental or a taxi
30 mins CBD Melbourne at best.

5 hours at best and feeling extremely stressed and dirty

Drive
8 hours from my door to CBD Melbourne (890 kms and yeah I stop for piss and fuel and something to eat)
Much more relaxed.

Train

1.3 hours to Central
20-30mins boarding
13 hours XPT Melbourne overnight, food, slept, even showered.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Russian Bear posted:

My next vehicle, whenever that is, must have ACC and cooled seats.

Seriously, same. Both of these are life-changing.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

That's how Ford gets you.

The $65,000 Mach-E GT Performance Edition doesn't come with 360 cameras unless you add an additional $1900 Ford Co-Pilot 360 package which for no reason requires the $1500 panoramic roof.

I stopped at exactly this spot while shaking my head. I wanted a 360 camera but I want nothing to do with that roof.

But for serious, the Mach E is out for me as it doesn't have ventilated seats.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BXG6ojA4l8

absolutely love the new Civic interior, if i were in the market for a FWD car i can't think of anything else to seriously consider not counting hot hatches given how ridiculously tiny the mazda 3 is inside

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Powershift posted:

Russia is getting hit with the double whammy of chip shortages driving vehicle prices up and 7.5% inflation.

The US is at 5.3% for the year so far. CPI is up 8% and that's adjusting for inflation. Please look forward to your 1.8% CoL raise!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The mild climate and lack of cold winters means there's no frost heaving so wear and tear on the roads are much less. I don't have any stats to back it up but I also suspect that given the smaller physical distances and extensive rail network, there are fewer of the very large, heavy trucks that cause most of the wear and tear on road surfaces. That and having a reasonable budget for maintenance.

I think US states like West Virginia have similarly good roads for the same reasons.

Uh Japan gets real fuckin cold man. I did the fun2drive thing just outside tokyo and we had to cancel the Hakone leg of the drive because snow/ice closed a bunch of roads. Not only that but around Mt. Fuji and the lake where we could drive I didnt feel like the roads were any better than the twisty roads in Sydney where I live either (that said a lot of said fun roads in sydney have been resurfaced in the past decade)

up in Niseko during the snow season the roads were definitely just as bad as what I'd experienced in a BC winter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the US, roads are refinished by the cheapest contractor in the fastest time possible (in manhour terms, not time spent with the road closed or restricted) and then very little maintenance is done outside of cold patching potholes until things completely fall apart and then then spend the next 18 months refinishing again.

Repeat every 5 years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

The mild climate and lack of cold winters means there's no frost heaving so wear and tear on the roads are much less. I don't have any stats to back it up but I also suspect that given the smaller physical distances and extensive rail network, there are fewer of the very large, heavy trucks that cause most of the wear and tear on road surfaces. That and having a reasonable budget for maintenance.

I think US states like West Virginia have similarly good roads for the same reasons.

Easy thing to get around if the local area gives a gently caress about it.

But unfortunately its mostly this

bull3964 posted:

In the US, roads are refinished by the cheapest contractor in the fastest time possible (in manhour terms, not time spent with the road closed or restricted) and then very little maintenance is done outside of cold patching potholes until things completely fall apart and then then spend the next 18 months refinishing again.

Repeat every 5 years.

I can say that West Virginia roads are pretty good, as are Kentuckies. Michigan while terrible, doesn't extend the terribleness to the Upper Peninsula.

Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, PA and its Toll road systems, and basically the entire midwest from the rockies to the great lakes is absolutely trash for road surface, condition, and bridge health.

I'd love to see rail make a huge comeback. Won't happen here. GM's heavy trucks and buses killed off city rail in the 50s then the 737 happened. Now there's a lot of this going around:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Because taxes may go up, someone may benefit from something that wasn't available to me, and/or why should I pay for something I don't use.

Similar logic to infrastructure really. Cycle repeats, everybody lobs suspension parts are their rolling dumpsters every year because long form thinking is hard.

KakerMix posted:

I tell you, I am absolutely enjoying my time in Germany. The stark, STARK difference between a functional society and Florida is amazing.

To be fair Florida is a stark difference from the other 49 states in this backwater.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Whoever came up with the concept of lowest-bidder bullshit should be drawn and quartered in public. Or if they're dead, resurrected and drawn and quartered.

It's been awhile since I've made the drive up 95 through from GA to NC through my home state of SC, but dropping off the bridge over the Savannah into 200mi of rutted, lovely, patched concrete that envies the roads of Fallujah, then popping back into the glassy asphalt over the NC border makes me want to loving scream.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Yes. If you qualify for a 0 APR loan you probably have many other positive factors in your credit profile.

Yup, but:

Russian Bear posted:

Oh that's not what I was intending. Ford is definitely interested in more money by dropping the FICO req so they can lend to more people. I'd hope it works something like this, their internal credit model looks at 6 factors let's say including FICO. Someone who meets all the criteria except the FICO score would normally be rejected under the old model. Or maybe their FICO is 5 points below the threshold or whatever (because the line has to be drawn at a number). So now they would approve this person. Is it a bad fiscal decision? Probably not, especially if we're talking a 0 APR loan. There are many reasons someone might not have a FICO score (immigrant, never had credit of any kind etc.), but otherwise have a solid financial situation.

I read that as you implying the opposite. Good credit/etc implies you can get/pay back a 0% loan, while getting a good loan doesn’t necessarily mean you can pay it back.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

I used to live in DC and took Amtrak to get to my sister's graduation in Boston. Travel time was 8 hours - exactly the same as driving because I wasn't gonna pay the $$$ for Acela. Still better than driving because I could just screw around on my phone or sleep! I just had to hop on (3 AM lol) and get off at 11 AM, they had beer and microwaved burgers if you got hungry :lol:

The Acela isn’t worth it between NY and Boston (gently caress you CT) but DC -> New York and DC -> Boston its 100% worth it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, but:

I read that as you implying the opposite. Good credit/etc implies you can get/pay back a 0% loan, while getting a good loan doesn’t necessarily mean you can pay it back.

That's up to Ford's credit risk model i suppose and what they are comfortable with (and by extensions ford's creditors). I'm sure they are using this opportunity of tight car supply and high values to sweeten their credit agreements.

Regarding roads. Our roads in Southern Arizona are pretty poo poo due to truck traffic but also huge diurnal temperature swings. New pavement has expansion joints in it usually in 2 years, so it feels like driving on rail tracks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Moving from Michigan to Florida was like night and day for road conditions. It's extremely rare to see a pothole here while in Michigan it can get so bad that highways turn to gravel.

Also Florida has reflectors in the lane lines because they never need to plow. No idea if that helps visibility any but probably?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Zero One posted:

Moving from Michigan to Florida was like night and day for road conditions. It's extremely rare to see a pothole here while in Michigan it can get so bad that highways turn to gravel.

Also Florida has reflectors in the lane lines because they never need to plow. No idea if that helps visibility any but probably?

Florida also depends on tourism and tourism traffic so they spend a little more on roads than, presumably, Michigan.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Lol we visited Branson Missouri once and the difference in roads vs the rest of the state is insane.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

The US is at 5.3% for the year so far. CPI is up 8% and that's adjusting for inflation. Please look forward to your 1.8% CoL raise!

The gently caress? I haven't gotten a raise since 2018

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Zero One posted:

In the snowy parts of :ca: the highway department carves little divots in the pavement so the reflectors are flush with the roadway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ryanrs posted:

In the snowy parts of :ca: the highway department carves little divots in the pavement so the reflectors are flush with the roadway.

I've seen this in Washington but then I think they just never ended up putting the reflectors in.

I don't understand why like none of the roads in this state have good lane paint or reflectors. In a light ran it all becomes invisible and picking a lane is a guessing game, even on interstates and major highways. For a rainy region this is a big problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/roadandtrack/status/1448325216858480653?s=21

All I can see is a Cylon.