Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

why is he so big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

:chefkiss:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

why is he so big

Among other things, to look impressive. The whole design is like that, head aside it's thin and narrow struts arranged in such a way to look enormous, like a bird puffing up its wings.

But also if you want to invade somewhere it can carry a few dozen thousand troops fine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I always took it that the Romulans are a smaller power and they know that if a war ever happens with the Federation the Federation would probably just drown them in resources so their ship design is just make something huge and intimidating that would show up and look imposing and hopefully not have to fire a single shot, just dazzling with the power of the Star Empire.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eimi posted:

I always took it that the Romulans are a smaller power and they know that if a war ever happens with the Federation the Federation would probably just drown them in resources so their ship design is just make something huge and intimidating that would show up and look imposing and hopefully not have to fire a single shot, just dazzling with the power of the Star Empire.

Maybe you could equate it to Japanese battleship design in WWII. They couldn't build a lot, so they built the biggest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite part of the Romulan Warbird was slotting the saucer section of the Enterprise-D micro machine into the empty hull area and imagining it was some sort of fusion Federation-Romulan ship

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Eimi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVIvmOPHOQ

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Star Trek ship scale never makes sense, all the ships are too big to really intuit, and all the ships are in the void of space with intentionally no frame of reference for how far things are from. And the listed numbers are always wrong.

Although maybe the negative space serves some kind of mechanical purpose like the Vulcan ring drives. Maybe even the Romulans could even have their own procedure for separating the crew quarters and junk from the main engines, and then the bigger target would be the one they could afford to lose. Maybe there was some weird poo poo in like the 2330s cruising around Federation and Romulan space that making sea cucumber functionality much more relevant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

My favorite part of the Romulan Warbird was slotting the saucer section of the Enterprise-D micro machine into the empty hull area and imagining it was some sort of fusion Federation-Romulan ship

I like the bit in the opening of Star Trek Armada where the Defiant does a bombing run through a Romulan warbird dropping mines inside as it goes. :dance:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I like the bit in the opening of Star Trek Armada where the Defiant does a bombing run through a Romulan warbird dropping mines inside as it goes. :dance:

That, and the fact that it's apparently a maneuver Worf created himself and trained the Defiant crew in executing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ked-Pw0mZyY&t=177s

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh man I am awash with emotions from that video

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Shatner is about to boldly go up in Jeff B's rocket. T minus ten minutes.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Number_6 posted:

Shatner is about to boldly go up in Jeff B's rocket. T minus ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhdlIor-do

In case anyone wants to watch captain kirk hop above the atmosphere.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
whats up with the romulan empire anyway, why not join federation or invite the federation to join them? same thing applies to the americas, why not make one big america for all americans, wouldn't that be rad?

p.s. are the Remans still around, hope they pop up in Picard.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tom Guycot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhdlIor-do

In case anyone wants to watch captain kirk hop above the atmosphere.

Did they have trouble popping the hatch on this? What happened here.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Khanstant posted:

whats up with the romulan empire anyway, why not join federation or invite the federation to join them? same thing applies to the americas, why not make one big america for all americans, wouldn't that be rad?

The Romulans not wanting to join the Federation makes sense, they fought a war to preserve their culture and accepted exile from Vulcan rather than conform, so them wanting to preserve their traditions from outside influence makes sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

In case anyone wants to watch captain kirk hop above into the upper atmosphere.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and other than the alliance during the Dominion War, the Romulans have never been on good terms with the Federation

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm certainly not going to go on spending much effort defending bezo's toy really, but isn't the whole point of the Karman line it technically passes for like 120 seconds, supposed to define the rough boundary between the atmosphere and outer space? I mean if we're getting technical the ISS still has atmospheric effects on it as well but it seems nitpicky to say the ISS is not above the atmosphere just because its still in the ionosphere.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and other than the alliance during the Dominion War, the Romulans have never been on good terms with the Federation

ITS A FAKEEE

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm certainly not going to go on spending much effort defending bezo's toy really, but isn't the whole point of the Karman line it technically passes for like 120 seconds, supposed to define the rough boundary between the atmosphere and outer space? I mean if we're getting technical the ISS still has atmospheric effects on it as well but it seems nitpicky to say the ISS is not above the atmosphere just because its still in the ionosphere.

There's no real consensus: the Karman line is an administrative boundry more than anything, not really a scientific definition. Yeah ISS is definitely in the extreme upper atmosphere but also space (although I wouldn't call it outer space). Like so much of nature it's all a gradient so hard lines aren't easy to put down. There's a mode of thought I prefer that says space is the levels where you can reasonably orbit (i.e. you don't have to basically boost constantly and really be hovering), of course that then leads to arguments about what's reasonable (in fact I believe one end of that mode of thought is what lead to picking the Karman line height) but the one I favour has it more about 160km.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 13, 2021

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

No, the Remans aren't even mentioned in PIC, let alone make an appearance. I think Michael Chabon mentioned on his Instagram that he thought they were a dumb concept from a bad movie, so he decided to quietly omit them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Among all of the foes the Federation has faced none have done more to wipe that organization out than the Romulan Empire. Even the Xindi were only focused on Earth.

Granted, the whole operation was about preventing the Federation from existing, but even then the Xindi were only puppets.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 13, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

No, the Remans aren't even mentioned in PIC, let alone make an appearance. I think Michael Chabon mentioned on his Instagram that he thought they were a dumb concept from a bad movie, so he decided to quietly omit them.

A rare good call from the PIC team.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Just give us Worf captaining the Enterprise and absolutely cement his place for most Star Trek episodes forever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the Picard show is gonna structure itself around one movie's poo poo idea that dramatically changed the Star Trek universe, it's got no excuse for ignoring another movie's dumb idea that dramatically changed the Star Trek universe.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Especially when they both had essentially the same dumb, bald, revenge-obsessed, Romulan villain!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Especially when they both had essentially the same dumb, bald, revenge-obsessed, Romulan villain!

I mean Nero had at least a bit more going for him than Shinzon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Romulans kept excluding Remans from the evacuation process, even executing Reman families who might otherwise take up space on egress vessels; it was actually a point of tension and that was part of the reason there was pushback against Fed involvement in the disaster. Mars was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Maybe

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

There's no real consensus: the Karman line is an administrative boundry more than anything, not really a scientific definition. Yeah ISS is definitely in the extreme upper atmosphere but also space (although I wouldn't call it outer space). Like so much of nature it's all a gradient so hard lines aren't easy to put down. There's a mode of thought I prefer that says space is the levels where you can reasonably orbit (i.e. you don't have to basically boost constantly and really be hovering), of course that then leads to arguments about what's reasonable (in fact I believe one end of that mode of thought is what lead to picking the Karman line height) but the one I favour has it more about 160km.

Space obviously begins at one earth diameter away. If you're closer to mission control than some bloke in Australia is, you aren't really in space :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Marshal Radisic posted:

lmao at him trying to play arbiter here of dumb concepts

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tunicate posted:

Space obviously begins at one earth diameter away. If you're closer to mission control than some bloke in Australia is, you aren't really in space :colbert:

Nobody except (most of) the Apollo astronauts has ever been to space?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
It totally counts as space and it's totally absurd that of all the experts and resources we could send to space our society has elected to send a bookseller and an actor.

Like what are they gonna do up there. All the people who buy books and watch TV live down here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean Nero had at least a bit more going for him than Shinzon.
A lot of Nero’s scenes ended up getting cut for time which is unfortunate

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or put in the tie in comic that did an infinitely better job of setting him up as a villain the film.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Send Koening up instead. He seems more chill.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's apparently a JJ Abrams standard that all the scenes that would make the movie coherent and explain things are the ones that conveniently get cut for time while all the pew pew shouty "They fly now? THEY FLY NOW!" action scenes somehow manage to survive intact. See: Skywalker, the Rise of; Awakens, The Force.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They had to cut the entire subplot of what happened to Nero and his crew for the 20ish years between the start of the movie and when they take out like 6 ships as Kirk is just being assigned to the Enterprise. Like Nero just has this completely different look and it’s never discussed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Don't you think people might be a bit confused if we cut this out?

No.

....just "no"? Any followup?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think that movie was the first time I encountered the "this story doesn't make sense unless you read a comic book/novel/whatever first" phenomenon. It's real dumb.