Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dramicus posted:

I'm excited for this thing for all sorts of reasons, but one of the biggest is that whenever travel goes back to some sense of normality, I'll be able to cut my travel kit down to a steam deck, an ipad+keyboard and a phone. I used to lug a powerful laptop everywhere and it was always a pain having to get it out every time I passed through security. It will be sweet to have this on flights and then dock it hotel tvs or whatever.

we'll have a steam deck 2 before travel ever goes back to any sense of normal lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Im hoping ff14 will run on it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

FF14s not WoW level toaster friendly, but I've definitely played it on worse laptops than this. As long as you're happy with medium/low and occasionally sub 30fps

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

we'll have a steam deck 2 before travel ever goes back to any sense of normal lol

Well so long as this kind of device class is firmly established by then, all's good.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Why bring the ipad? The steam deck is all the tablet you'll ever need

Indeed, it is all you'll ever need, full stop

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So this thing is just a Switch but with worse games?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

So this thing is just a Switch but with worse games?

extremely low effort troll. you can do better than this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
dont see how posting facts is a troll

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux posted:

Name one good switch game. I値l wait.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Stux posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Here I'll try with the same amount of effort:

Nintendo is for babies, Genesis rules

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Name one good switch game. I値l wait.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/hentai-vs-evil-switch/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It will run it just fine. I run it on the neo and it works great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

flavor.flv posted:

iPad has better graphics

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

You would think but he posted that through awful app for switch. Thing costs 60 bucks.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

Typing emails and occasionally showing stuff to clients. Mostly work-related laptoppy stuff. You are right about the deck being the only thing that I'd need for personal stuff.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I read up on this a little. The non-steam version seems to run ok on Linux via Lutrix. Some minor issues with a few specific cutscenes.
The steam version has other issues that I imagine will be ironed out officially or worked around by fans.

People also play the game on lower-end hardware and portable Windows machines. It will run, but the real questions are how well, and what the performance difference is between Steam OS and Windows 10/11.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I read up on this a little. The non-steam version seems to run ok on Linux via Lutrix. Some minor issues with a few specific cutscenes.
The steam version has other issues that I imagine will be ironed out officially or worked around by fans.

People also play the game on lower-end hardware and portable Windows machines. It will run, but the real questions are how well, and what the performance difference is between Steam OS and Windows 10/11.

FWIW, I don't recall any problems playing* non-Steam FFXIV on Pop!_OS w/Lutris around a year ago.

In my experience with Linux gaming, if an MMO is reasonably popular and not completely broken, hiccups are resolved quickly. Players are really motivated to get back into their grinding. :)

* Getting it installed required maybe an hour of reading and fiddling.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The proton db thing says it's gold rated so that's good news

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a new official Twitter account showing footage of games running on the thing.

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1448754721733308435
https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1448788812318973953

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
Do we know if it's possible to replace the emmc module with an m.2 nvme ssd as I understood that both emmc and ssd use the m.2 form factor/inteface?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes it is possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Replacing the drive it ships with won't be a super simple process, though it is possible, yes. The storage drive it ships with is specially chosen for low electromagnetic interference and has an EMI shield placed around both sides of it, attached to the drive's PCB. I'm not sure if the shielding will be reusable or how that works. The drive is placed directly on top of the wifi module, so wireless connectivity could be impaired depending on the drive you choose.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Replacing the drive it ships with won't be a super simple process, though it is possible, yes. The storage drive it ships with is specially chosen for low electromagnetic interference and has an EMI shield placed around both sides of it, attached to the drive's PCB. I'm not sure if the shielding will be reusable or how that works. The drive is placed directly on top of the wifi module, so wireless connectivity could be impaired depending on the drive you choose.

Cool, maybe could just use something like this then.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00041293/
https://www.amazon.com/Fabric-EMI-Shielding-Grounding-Block-Anti-Radiation-Electromagnetic/dp/B07N4RBCBN?th=1

Was afraid my plans with the 64gb emmc version were totally boned when I head it was either emmc OR m.2 ssd

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Valve seems to be really emphasizing that micro SD cards will be fast enough. I知 cautiously optimistic that will be the case. If not, I知 sure there will eventually be aftermarket shielded NVMEs that come out if the deck really takes off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Valve seems to be really emphasizing that micro SD cards will be fast enough. I知 cautiously optimistic that will be the case. If not, I知 sure there will eventually be aftermarket shielded NVMEs that come out if the deck really takes off.

I'm expecting them to be about HDD speed, which is good enough for plenty of games, but quite slow for many others.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

When I downloaded Metroid Dread it was on the SD card at first, load times improved dramatically when I moved it to the Switch. Monster Hunter had the same thing going on IIRC.

Is there reason to believe the Deck will have better SD performance than the Switch does?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nah. SD stanks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FBS posted:

When I downloaded Metroid Dread it was on the SD card at first, load times improved dramatically when I moved it to the Switch. Monster Hunter had the same thing going on IIRC.

Is there reason to believe the Deck will have better SD performance than the Switch does?

itll be like playing off a platter drive on pc, which is worse

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I知 planning on just using the 512gb model痴 built-in drive for pc games and an sd card for emulator roms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That痴 what most people should do unless your one of those people who love having multiple games installed at once.

Which even with how big games are now can put you at three and that is a large amount

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
How is N64 emulation going on the Deck these days?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

They work perfectly fine on the Switch. Perhaps some load times will be a couple seconds longer than on the SSD, but I don't think it will be noticeable most of the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How is N64 emulation going on the Deck these days?

how would we know

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dramicus posted:

They work perfectly fine on the Switch. Perhaps some load times will be a couple seconds longer than on the SSD, but I don't think it will be noticeable most of the time.

it will be the same as a platter drive. you are not loading switch games, youre loading pc games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

That痴 what most people should do unless your one of those people who love having multiple games installed at once.

Which even with how big games are now can put you at three and that is a large amount
tbf if you have three games installed that max out the Deck, one of them is probably a GAAS game like Destiny 2 or an MMO like FF14 and you're just gonna be playing those forever

if you play indie games though, you'll be fine. I've got 38 games installed and 20-some demos installed and my steamapps folder is 140GB.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm a bit out of the loop on Linux stuff, but doesn't filesystem compression work much better on Linux than it does on Windows?

That might be an option to squeeze out a bit more capacity

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The question is a bit facetious given recent events, so a serious rephrasing: Is Mupen64Plus still the best Linux-native N64 emulator, and still the best approach for N64 emulation (vs. Project64 on Wine)? Every time I've tried--which is about once a decade--it it's been a disaster.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Does the steam deck support ufs microsd cards? If so, that'll be why valve is deeply suggesting microsd with minimal loss. UFS has a data rate of 500 mb/s. Which doesn't sound amazing until you realize that normal microsd cards are generally around 40mb/s with some special ones that peak at 120mb/s. Right now, the only company offering them far as I could tell is samsung. And at least from amazon, only the 64 and 128gb models are available. The 256gb model isn't available. I've been looking but haven't seen any other option. For me, the research was originally triggered as the framework laptop supports ufs on the microsd reader and was thinking of using that as a boot drive for linux.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You mean UHS? It supports UHS-I, which maxes out at 104MB/sec officially or up to 180MB/sec with some extensions that bend the standard a bit (unclear if the Deck supports that part)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

its a platter drive.