Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Holy gently caress. :stare: (Hardy Boys conclusion [?] spoiler): That final handshake and then Esprit de Corps actually chiming in on Titus' thoughts after commenting he has a firm handshake like a cop. God drat, what a masterstroke of game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I really wish I could completely forget this game and play it like the first time all over again; this thread is going to be awesome in two days.

Doing yet another playthrough, I finally decided to do save-file edits and max out all my stats for this last one so I can see all the dialogue and things I might have missed. It basically turns you into a crazy person when you have 24 different thoughts popping up for every single mundane piece of dialogue, but it made me appreciate that the real meat and joy of the game is all the passive checks that I never saw, not the active ones.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Holy gently caress. :stare: (Hardy Boys conclusion [?] spoiler): That final handshake and then Esprit de Corps actually chiming in on Titus' thoughts after commenting he has a firm handshake like a cop. God drat, what a masterstroke of game design.

Remember, the RCM is not like a real world police force. They aren't funded by the coalition, they're funded by the people. The coalition acknowledges them because without the RCM there's no law west of the river.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Just beat this last weekend and noticed theres a 3.7 gig update, whats that all about

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

PageMaster posted:

I really wish I could completely forget this game and play it like the first time all over again;

Have you considered drinking heavily then wandering an environmental Alzheimer's-radiation field?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Just beat this last weekend and noticed theres a 3.7 gig update, whats that all about

The maximum text size is *much* bigger now, and they cut a few gigs off the install size

I guess they're backporting changes from the Switch version

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

PageMaster posted:

I really wish I could completely forget this game and play it like the first time all over again; this thread is going to be awesome in two days.

Doing yet another playthrough, I finally decided to do save-file edits and max out all my stats for this last one so I can see all the dialogue and things I might have missed. It basically turns you into a crazy person when you have 24 different thoughts popping up for every single mundane piece of dialogue, but it made me appreciate that the real meat and joy of the game is all the passive checks that I never saw, not the active ones.

There's a glitch to get max stats without save-editing, for those who don't want to poke around with that - if you use a controller to open the pause menu and go to the title menu during character creation, the next time you open character creation it'll glitch out and load debug character stats at random, one of which has maxed stats. It's sort of a pain to do over and over again though, and thankfully it isn't counted in speedrun timing anymore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sit on my Jace posted:

There's a glitch to get max stats without save-editing, for those who don't want to poke around with that - if you use a controller to open the pause menu and go to the title menu during character creation, the next time you open character creation it'll glitch out and load debug character stats at random, one of which has maxed stats. It's sort of a pain to do over and over again though, and thankfully it isn't counted in speedrun timing anymore.

You are cumshitter and I claim my $5

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
who the hell is speed running disco elysium imo they should add a patch that makes the boat trip last several hours if it starts within a certain threshold of play time

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I'm actually interested now. What are the key quests you absolutely must complete? Can you just skip everything and go straight to the shivers check on the coast? Does the game acknowledge such degenerate behaviour?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I don't think the shivers check even comes up until you need to search the coast. You can skip the body but you still need to pass the interrogations IIRC.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I'm actually interested now. What are the key quests you absolutely must complete? Can you just skip everything and go straight to the shivers check on the coast? Does the game acknowledge such degenerate behaviour?

IIRC you must Pay for your room days 1 and 2. Do the two white checks with Tidus Hardie. (or the three fails option.) Have it be day 3 so you can cross the river. Then shivers check and all that stuff.

But not watched a speedrun so no idea what they do and if/what you can skip with glitches.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I can't imagine anybody speedrunning this. Which is why I am watching the run right now.

Day 1: Put on pants, Bum money from Joyce, read man from hejmdall for the whole day, briefly look at the body.
Day 2: Pay Garte, re-read man from hejmdall for the whole day. Leave kim behind. Pass the checks with Titus and Klasje.
Day 3: Get the Ruby quest, Grab the bullet from the shack?, do the mural checks, do the endgame.
Day X: Go to the island without kim, listen to the whole boat song... go directly to the deserter. Chase of the phasmid.

No idea what the bullet is used for, and no idea that you could finish the titus/klasje stuff without listening to the tape.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think you have to find the bullet to continue questioning the washerwoman about Ruby, which is what allows you to make the shivers check at the Feld building.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

PageMaster posted:

Got this for xbox and just started playing this for the first time. This poo poo's crazy. Fuckin hobocop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sit on my Jace posted:

The nice thing is that this doesn't disable achievements unlike the Cuno reform school mod

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Stolen from rapidly going deaf

fun hater posted:

sire, you must play your greatest role yet

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad that this complete stranger who I have never met agrees with me that max stats are the way the game was meant to be played.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I actually do think it’s worth a run just to see everything chiming in and to experience how quickly the clock moves

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really is funny how Cuno just breaks the brains of a certain kind of person and they refuse to engage or demand a cheat code.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really is funny how Cuno just breaks the brains of a certain kind of person and they refuse to engage or demand a cheat code.

I don’t think people who haven’t gotten defiant themselves or seen people they care about get defiant like that are going to get Cuno.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I just bought this for the switch, it doesn't feel like it runs very well but I don't know how it's supposed to run. I spent 3 minutes not knowing how to leave Evart's office which I choose to believe was me acting in character as Harry.

I beat up Measurehead with a flying kick and was very sorry about it and now I am a Sorry Cop. I went 6 in physique and 2 in all other stats and am trying to be polite and helpful but my intrusive thoughts keep telling me to commit wanton acts of Sports.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

midnight lasagna posted:

I went 6 in physique and 2 in all other stats and am trying to be polite and helpful

lol good luck with that

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When I introduce new people to the game I mention that it frontloads some repulsive crap upfront, but that the game knows what it is doing and should be trusted to handle things well. Same with the plot surrounding Titus and the false rape accusations.

I don't have faith in most games to handle any of this type of content well and at first sign of it I would be put off as well. That being said, if you're going to just mash through everything and skip it all maybe just don't play the game at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I found some surprising thematic commonalities between Deltarune and Disco Elysium, including how they play with video game narrative conventions and the agency of the player character vs the player, but also that they both feature dudes who are spectacularly The Most Divorced.

Harry does not have Divorced energy, he has Breakup energy and those are totally different in my expert opinion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tylana posted:

Sadly, you must fail the Conceptualization check to get a fun fake name. (Not like, a good or useful one. But a fun one!) .

my favorite "pass failure" check was also Conceptualization trying to get the art supplies from Cindy by pitching an idea that's actually not bad and results in her refusing to give it to you because she doesn't want competition

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Harry does not have Divorced energy, he has Breakup energy and those are totally different in my expert opinion

incredibly so, yes

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Doccykins posted:

who the hell is speed running disco elysium imo they should add a patch that makes the boat trip last several hours if it starts within a certain threshold of play time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If you make it to the boat ride within ~90 minutes you spend the ride reminiscing about your past which, because you have no memory, means you're just replaying the game again until you get to the boat ride.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:eyepop:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

should be even higher imho

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Gracefully, as a game that isn't about the gameplay, it'll age finer than any of those. I like HL2 but lmao.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Did they add new quests since original release? I've completed a couple secret tasks I don't remember from the first couple runs, and I'm pretty deep down since crazy political side quest I definitely don't remember.

I figured this would have a crazy detailed wiki out of something but I couldn't find any secret task lists.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PageMaster posted:

Did they add new quests since original release? I've completed a couple secret tasks I don't remember from the first couple runs, and I'm pretty deep down since crazy political side quest I definitely don't remember.

I figured this would have a crazy detailed wiki out of something but I couldn't find any secret task lists.

There were a handful of fairly obscure tweaks. For example there is a new way to progress if you fail the shivers check at the feld building a few times. But the political vision quests were the main addition

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PageMaster posted:

Yeah each political stance got a vision quest in The Final Cut patch, same time as they added full voice acting

Not sure what you mean by secret tasks. I don't remember any new quests outside of the political quests, they're probably just ones you missed on your first playthroughs by choosing different dialogue options or failing hidden passive checks or something

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 14, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Isn't "secret task" just the game's term for if you complete a quest before it's assigned to you? On my first playthrough "close the water lock on Wednesday" was a secret task because I didn't interact with it on previous days.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
let us marvel that a dialogue-heavy game made by Estonian communists is the highest-rated game of all time in TYOOL 2021.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Patch notes are out, mostly UI improvements

quote:

BIGGER FONT SIZES.
Bigger and cleaner UI elements.
Lots of visual fixes for smoother, more coherent visual experience.
Fixes in credits.
Apple Silicon M1 processor support.
Due to optimisation, the game install size is significantly smaller.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Isn't "secret task" just the game's term for if you complete a quest before it's assigned to you? On my first playthrough "close the water lock on Wednesday" was a secret task because I didn't interact with it on previous days.
You might be right; or a quest that's never actually assigned in the first place? it was: "find solution to the strike deadlock" and when it popped on my screen it said "hidden (or secret) task complete". I never got this on my first playthrough which is why it surprised me and I figured it was actually secret, but it's probably common knowledge for most people. I had two other secret tasks complete but I can't remember what they were since it just lists them as "complete" in the journal and doesn't call them out as special in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how should i be spending my skill points? i’ve spent two so far just to unlock new thought slots or whatever but i should probably level up some actual skills too. i dunno what to pick though. my mental skills are all pretty strong while my physical skills are mediocre. i’m getting lots of useful and interesting insights from my mental skills and not much use out of my physical skills, but i’m moving slowly and still investigating the area around whirling-in-rags