Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've seen that pic somewhere recently. Probably some £200 per head meal somewhere.

Oh yeah, some English / Mexican fusion place. Apparently it cost £70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faintingincoils:

There’s a particular strain of benevolent racism that this picture invokes in Americans, whereby no Mexican person can want to cook it using modern equipment or techniques or in fusion with other cuisines or traditions, and everything must be tex-mex. sort of similar to the people who’d look at a gymkhana menu and say ‘but I can get a £5 vindaloo at the spice of Asia so why do they need to that?’

Looks tasty. Gonna have to add it to the post plague hope it stays open list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've read a few books that are in a new genre of "climate change apocalypse fiction", and whenever they get to "rewilding" as a solution, it always turns out that future humans think they can recreate "Nature" by just planting some grass and a single tree. I think of that whenever I walk by a "Green".

"climate apocalypse fiction" sounds like the most miserably lovely genre possible, since the fiction is going to be so much more optimistic than anything that will actually happen

one big hint is how "climate" isn't even the only major issue that humanity faces in the medium term

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think specifically that is supposed to be "fusion mexican" that uses only ingredients local to london.

Which I would suggest is not really very mexican?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It doesnt.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I think specifically that is supposed to be "fusion mexican" that uses only ingredients local to london.

Which I would suggest is not really very mexican?

But the food is cooked by a Mexican head chef who is big on the field to fork philosophy, so it couldn’t be anything else?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Eco-terrorism is a touchy subject, since it hasn't been actualised yet.
That reminded me of 'eco-nuts are evil and must be destroyed by red-blooded American manly men' technothriller Rainbow Six, in which millionaire author and supposed research genius Tom Clancey forgot that summer comes at different times of year in the northern and southern hemispheres. Which kind of seriously damaged the plot.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

A nicely kept lawn looks nice. If you live somewhere you need to water the grass then obviously that's dumb but it's nice in summer being able to just chill on the grass with a book.

Also having short grass makes it easier to see where the neighbourhood cats have shat so you don't accidentally sit/step in it

There are ways to achieve that which don't involve grass. Clover is one alternative.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

But the food is cooked by a Mexican head chef who is big on the field to fork philosophy, so it couldn’t be anything else?

I would suggest that if I went to say, japan, and tried to cook something using ingredients I could source there, it would not be "english food" despite it being cooked by an anglo.

Like I think if you refer to food by a place you are usually referring to the food that is prepared commonly in that place, and to transplant it to another place you would have to transfer both the preparation knowledge and at least some of the ingredients.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Jeremy Brett put his heart and soul into that series and was pretty ill towards the end.

Interesting to read up on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Brett
Wow I had no idea about any of that, I have even more respect for the man.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

jaete posted:

"climate apocalypse fiction" sounds like the most miserably lovely genre possible, since the fiction is going to be so much more optimistic than anything that will actually happen

one big hint is how "climate" isn't even the only major issue that humanity faces in the medium term

Yeah a lot of those books are extremely Liberal with a capital L, very technocratic, in a beep boop managerial way. For example in "The Ministry for the Future", one of the eventual solutions to climate change is just "blockchain". There's no context that makes it sensical, either.

I still like reading them though, they introduce some interesting concepts that help me think about the future. It's kinda like how in the really old sci-fi books, characters would fly to space on a zeppelin or something. The book is a bit confused, but it's got the spirit.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest that if I went to say, japan, and tried to cook something using ingredients I could source there, it would not be "english food" despite it being cooked by an anglo.

Like I think if you refer to food by a place you are usually referring to the food that is prepared commonly in that place, and to transplant it to another place you would have to transfer both the preparation knowledge and at least some of the ingredients.

If you opened a restaurant that had a beef and teriyaki pudding I’d try it. And say that it was definitely an English-fusion dish?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Thursday evening 7pm zoom thing:

You have to register in advance:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcudeioqj0qG9a9EZn9LlMyNqyWms3wW3Zy

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

There’s a particular strain of benevolent racism that this picture invokes in Americans, whereby no Mexican person can want to cook it using modern equipment or techniques or in fusion with other cuisines or traditions, and everything must be tex-mex. sort of similar to the people who’d look at a gymkhana menu and say ‘but I can get a £5 vindaloo at the spice of Asia so why do they need to that?’

Looks tasty. Gonna have to add it to the post plague hope it stays open list

yeah no

the thing about the U.S. being in close proximity to Mexico means that a good number of the people looking at that picture in great askance are in fact familiar with one or more flavors of Mexican fusion (Korean being a great favorite locally), as well as the difference between restaurant Tex-Mex and actual (regional) Mexican foods (+ potentially stuff like pre-Columbian cooking with very different flavor profiles)

parochialism isn't the reason people are skeptical about fusion cuisine in the form of a tiny well-presented-but-for-£70-it-darned-well-ought-to-be plate of squash with half a tortilla thrown on top that (in it's original Twitter context) proudly proclaimed an absence of particular flavor profiles associated with Mexican cuisine in favor of mayonnaise

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Payndz posted:

That reminded me of 'eco-nuts are evil and must be destroyed by red-blooded American manly men' technothriller Rainbow Six, in which millionaire author and supposed research genius Tom Clancey forgot that summer comes at different times of year in the northern and southern hemispheres. Which kind of seriously damaged the plot.

He was a big strong American Man writing about stupid "Hippies", to him.

I genuinely don't think people are ready for it. There is a generation being born into a dying world, that's one big Material Condition. It's only a matter of time before people start getting extreme. What is "extreme" in the face of a dying world? There comes a point where anything is logical, sensible even. An animal backed into a corner. This is not an endorsement of anything. Just a prediction.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

So anything I cook, from sweet and sour chicken to fajitas to jollof rice, is now 'British cuisine' because I'm British but if my wife makes the same thing its American cuisine? I have to think you're trolling here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

This seems like a really weird combination of that particularly middle-class kind of gatekeeping over "authenticity" and the extremely annoying arguments about cultural appropriation. If you went to Japan and made roast beef, roast potatoes, assorted veg and a Yorkshire pudding that would most definitely be "English food" even if you struggled to source the parsnips and used a Japanese equivalent. You're about 300 years too late to try and claim that local ingredients should be - or even can be - only limited to things that grew naturally in a place before humans turned up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/1448343656163852290?s=20

He explains further down the thread:

First, a gas *shipper* is a company that itself provides those domestic *suppliers* which you deal with for your domestic needs with gas...

Various additional comments from him just picking out a couple:

...There is no operator of last resort system for the businesss customers of gas *suppliers* that exit the market, but the regulator Ofgem and the gas body Xoserve say they have a systemt to ensure business customers constinue to get their gas...

Further explanation of what a gas shipper does:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 14, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This seems like a really weird combination of that particularly middle-class kind of gatekeeping over "authenticity" and the extremely annoying arguments about cultural appropriation. If you went to Japan and made roast beef, roast potatoes, assorted veg and a Yorkshire pudding that would most definitely be "English food" even if you struggled to source the parsnips and used a Japanese equivalent. You're about 300 years too late to try and claim that local ingredients should be - or even can be - only limited to things that grew naturally in a place before humans turned up.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1447197982923935747

I think the equivalent in this case would be me making "yorkshire puddings" out of glutinous rice flour and "beef gravy" out of soy sauce.

I may be too late to suggest that local ingredients are limited in such a fashion but the guy who runs the restaurant apparently isn't. Because I have no idea what an orangery is for if not for growing citrus in the UK.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 14, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was today years old when I heard of Stallman.

I met him in person 20 years ago. I've also met Eric Raymond. Both different varieties of free software nutso.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think the equivalent in this case would be me making "yorkshire puddings" out of glutinous rice flour and "beef gravy" out of soy sauce.

When, to add, the proper ingredients are actually readily available.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/1448343656163852290?s=20

He explains further down the thread:

First, a gas *shipper* is a company that itself provides those domestic *suppliers* which you deal with for your domestic needs with gas...

Various additional comments from him just picking out a couple:

...There is no operator of last resort system for the businesss customers of gas *suppliers* that exit the market, but the regulator Ofgem and the gas body Xoserve say they have a systemt to ensure business customers constinue to get their gas...

Further explanation of what a gas shipper does:

Maybe there should be fewer layers between importers & customers. Y'know, less middlemen, fewer people taking a cup meaning more affordable energy? Maybe you could even combine the retailers, suppliers, shippers & importers into one company ran by the state whose purpose is not to make profit for shareholders but to supply people with energy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but then you wouldn't get to choose what colour box your stuff that all comes out of the same hopper at the same factory comes in, and that's communism.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I may be too late to suggest that local ingredients are limited in such a fashion but the guy who runs the restaurant apparently isn't. Because I have no idea what an orangery is for if not for growing citrus in the UK.

In this case I'd assume it has less to do with some sort of weird rejection of the extent to which pretty much every major cuisine changed in the 15th-16th centuries, and either more to do with their particular "farm to table" philosophy and the realities of running a restaurant (i.e. it doesn't matter that citrus can be successfully grown in the U.K. if it isn't readily available for purchase at an acceptable standard in a sufficiently large quantity), or (more cynically) because it's a helpful marketing gimmick to upsell food as high end while simultaneously anglicizing it into a presumably more marketable/palatable blandness (a suspicion not helped by the origin and framing of the photo).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but then you wouldn't get to choose what colour box your stuff that all comes out of the same hopper at the same factory comes in, and that's communism.

I forget about the illusion of choice.

The only thing worse is actual choice. When I had to get a new keyboard last month I just stared at the excessive choice on Amazon until my eyes glared over & I decided to try using a keyboard with no space bar. This last 2 weeks until I just bought a new version of the old keyboard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of my "frivolities" which I don't know if it technically counts because as we have established I use the thing a frankly absurd amount, is a nice mechanical keyboard, I have had filco majestouch ones for years (would actually be using the same one if i hadn't spilled stuff on it and broke it) and while they are expensive, about £100 I think, they are nice to type on. Keys feel good and clicky, and you can also pull them off and they're mostly sealed underneath so you can clean the keyboard well too, better than the membrane ones where they keys just sit on the membrane.

If I'm going to spend a lot of time pressing buttons I would like them to be at least nice buttons.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I have a Logitech that cost about £15 and works fine. Wish it had shortcut keys for skipping tracks on Winamp along with the Play/Pause button but guess I'll live with alt tabbing out of my mapgame to skip a song I'm not in the mood for.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

remembering how the R6 sniper gutshots a Red Army Faction guy so he dies slowly and goes into it in great detail because you, the reader, must also really just loving hate this commie unperson

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Lol okay yeah that's just rich people bullshit. What they've made there is a very small green salad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tiny green salads sleep furiously.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

I have a Logitech that cost about £15 and works fine. Wish it had shortcut keys for skipping tracks on Winamp along with the Play/Pause button but guess I'll live with alt tabbing out of my mapgame to skip a song I'm not in the mood for.

What's your current mapgame of choice?

Over lockdown some friends and I have been playing Civ 5 using a slightly fancier than PBEM system. A game takes about 6 months. It's the strangest mix of relaxing and infuriating. You only play for 5-10 minutes a day, maybe every other day, and after the early game flurry it's a lot of "load the save, press next turn" but when an ally's inevitable betrayal happens you get to watch the knife slide between your shoulder blades in slow motion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

If you ever get the chance to use a mechanical keyboard I'd recommend it, they are a lot nicer to type on I think if you do it a lot, but they are unfortunately quite pricey.

I also feel like they teach better habits too because you learn to moderate your typing force to keep them quieter, and the pressure feedback also makes you less prone to hammering the thing like I do with membrane boards, which I suspect is probably better for my fingers.

It's one of those things like proper cotton bedsheets/t shirts that I would rather spend the money on because they last quite a while and it just makes life better to have a bit more comfort.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

LGD posted:

In this case I'd assume it has less to do with some sort of weird rejection of the extent to which pretty much every major cuisine changed in the 15th-16th centuries, and either more to do with their particular "farm to table" philosophy and the realities of running a restaurant (i.e. it doesn't matter that citrus can be successfully grown in the U.K. if it isn't readily available for purchase at an acceptable standard in a sufficiently large quantity), or (more cynically) because it's a helpful marketing gimmick to upsell food as high end while simultaneously anglicizing it into a presumably more marketable/palatable blandness (a suspicion not helped by the origin and framing of the photo).

The menu has non-UK native ingredients though, the reaction seems to be entirely based off one American guys tweet and not looking at a menu that contains a shedload of traditionally Mexican peppers that probably grew in Sussex.

You can see some of what I originally talked about in the replies to that tweet.

Still think it looks tasty :reject:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

What's your current mapgame of choice?

Over lockdown some friends and I have been playing Civ 5 using a slightly fancier than PBEM system. A game takes about 6 months. It's the strangest mix of relaxing and infuriating. You only play for 5-10 minutes a day, maybe every other day, and after the early game flurry it's a lot of "load the save, press next turn" but when an ally's inevitable betrayal happens you get to watch the knife slide between your shoulder blades in slow motion.

I've gotten back into Victoria II.

Also been fannying about a bit with Civ-like Humankind but I'm still wrapping my head around it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had been looking at that, it does look a lot better than civ in some ways, I didn't really enjoy civ 6 and gently caress if i'm paying for all that DLC.

What do you think of it thus far?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know everyone *loves* hearing about other people's dreams so I thought I'd tell you all about the one that has literally just woken me up because it was so, so good. Two goons contacted me because they knew I had a 3D printer and knew "dodgy geezers" because they wanted help in 3D printing guns and getting bullets for them. This was because the police had declared they were no longer going to answer calls ever again and instead had released all these plans for building guns and other weapons onto the internet and told people to sort it out for themselves.

Anyway while the goons (generic, although one of them looked exactly like Aaron A Aaronson from Hot Fuzz - the fact I just rewatched that film is probably a big part of why this dream came up) were round my house printing out the guns and the dodgy geezers were there dropping off the bullets it came on the news that there was a massive gang going through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel killing people and urging everyone to go down there to stop them - so of course we all grabbed these guns (all different designs - mine was shaped like a torch although it did have a handy hook so you could keep it in a shirt. and I remember there was another one shaped like the handset from one of those trim phones and a third that was "gun" shaped except the trigger was at the bottom of the grip) and headed down there to "sort it all aaaaht"

It was only when we got to the entrance to the tunnel and cold hear the screaming that one of the dodgy geezers (who were two of my actual friends, who I feel compelled to point out are definitely *not* able to lay their hands on guns or ammunition) mentioned that the plans for the guns said that if you used conventional bullets in them they'd burst, but they'd been designed around that and if you stuffed the barrel with *fresh* dog poo poo they'd not burst, so we had to run around until we found a dog taking a poo poo then just ram it in there with our bare hands - luckily the dog owner took pity on us when she heard about our mission so gave us "uniforms" - T-shirts from a charity funrun (I can't remember the charity but it's a real one, with a logo of a daisy) and lanyards with little plastic babies attached to them (okay I think my dream might have been taking the piss at this point) and off we went into the tunnel.

Now opposite my normal dreams (which normally have tunnels in them that are smaller and scarier than I remember them) this time the tunnel was in fact a *garden* tunnel, a hundred feet across and lit with an artificial sun, and we headed into battle with maybe 50 people behind us who had been waiting at the tunnel entrance for people with guns to turn up. Except when we got there, there was no more fighting or gang, they'd all run out of the south entrance into Greenwich. We went to give chase but the police (who hadn't actually disbanded or anything, they just weren't taking calls) wouldn't let us in because we all stank of dog poo poo, and directed us to a "cow washing station" - actually a water cannon on an elaborate arm - set up outside the Cutty Sark, which did in fact have a cow giving itself a wash in it. So we had to work out a way of convincing it that we were cows, and asked a couple of kids to point the water cannon at us - and the water hitting me (and me realising it was going to blow me into a souvenir shop behind me) was where I woke up.

I've excised a huge amount of the lead-up to this, involving a car abandoned in Moscow, a job on a cow farm preparing it for some SV weirdo to inspect it, the fact the actual designers of the guns was a Mormon I'd worked with 20 years ago who was also involved in said cow-farm prep, a supermodel who couldn't understand what poor people were... it was a loving Snyder Cut of a dream. Anyway apologies for dreamchat, the dullest of all chats, but it just amused me so loving much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have far more interesting dreams than I do, which are either nonexistent or occasionally me going to work naked while all my teeth fall out (which doesn't really bother me, I just wish I wouldn't dream about going to work or dentist bills) or occasionally being killed by some horrible monster or something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Whenever I get hold of a weapon in a dream, it's always either a gun that doesn't fire or a sword that turns out to be far too blunt and floppy to do any damage, both of which definitely don't reflect on any sort of subconscious anxieties that I absolutely don't have.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When I get up proper I'm going to commission someone to turn that post into a comic

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm still recruiting for my Fallout: London political sim. Come on down to rebuild a green and pleasant land.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

feedmegin posted:

When, to add, the proper ingredients are actually readily available.

You can’t grow avocado in this country though, you’d have to fly it half way around the world. Like, the point of using local produce is for that reason, and to support local economies, both of which are good things.