Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't get the koala joke!

I had to look it up too, but O'Connor saw a giant koala holding up the universe during his ascension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

pik_d posted:

I had to look it up too, but O'Connor saw a giant koala holding up the universe during his ascension.

Why is he smiling? WHAT DOES HE KNOW???

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

I love this show. I just wish we weren't going to have to wait another 9 months or so for the new episodes. Also wonder if the Rutherford stuff will tie into Freeman's arrest somehow. Possibly S31 messed with him and for once the people in charge actually remember they are supposed to be bad guys.

The interview with McMahan touches on Freeman's arrest somewhat, it sounds like all the pieces are already in play. I'm betting Rumdar was a better spy than we think.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Martytoof posted:

I want to show this to a friend but they’re only casually acquainted with Star Trek. I’m a little worried that a non-insignificant portion of the humour is still a little too predicated on knowing what they’re making fun of — I find that my biggest laughs still happen when they send off some Trek trope, but I might try it as an experiment.

I’d love to read any reviews of LD from the perspective of someone for whom this is their first Trek, or the first Trek they’re actually consuming in earnest.

That’s actually kind of me. I hadn’t really been into Star Trek, always into Star Wars (because I like fighter planes) and started on Trek once the pandemic hit. I knew some of the lore just from years of nerd cultural osmosis though. And I’ve always enjoyed the films. I had kind of jumped around to all the different series trying to find one that seemed to most entertaining to me, then I decided “I’ll just watch the series’ in chronological order!” So I wound up watching half a season of Enterprise before I decided to just dig in to TNG. And by the time I got around to TNG again (it was the series I started out with) Lower Decks had premiered and I’m a sucker for animation so I dived in. I had to do a lot of reading after each episode to get all the references and jokes, but doing that taught me a ton about the lore and the universe so I actually enjoyed that. And by the end of season 1 I was basically in love with Star Trek. So it might be a good idea!

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 15, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't get the koala joke!

One day you will!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I feel like Lower Decks will hit us with a genuinely emotional gut punch at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For me, the answer to the question of why cartoon Trek is best Trek going is that it loving gave me all I ever wanted, which was just another ship and another crew in the normal continuity past DS9. Have them.going on episodic adventures with light continuity encountering weird things and moral dilemmas. I don’t know why they just won’t make this loving show for real instead of a cartoon or literally letting other companies make this show. Lower Decks feels a piece of TNG/VOY/DS9 and that's why it’s so good.

Speaking of, “Who the gently caress is Jadiza Dax I don’t know who that is”

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Dilithium, as covered, is used to regulate matter/antimatter, which is the fuel on starships, but antimatter itself technically isn't an energy source: it takes slightly more energy to make matter into antimatter than you get back by reacting it. It's incredibly energy-dense per kilogram and when reacting it you get super-high amounts of energy back very very fast, though, so in order to allow starships to be able to drive around they make antimatter in solar systems where energy is plentiful and then use it to fuel up starships. (Specifically, antideuterium, so they can use the same tank of matter for the matter half as the fusion reactors.) Otherwise the entire ship would need to be reactors and they could still only go up to like a warp three. (That's still how they do small shuttles though, the smallest shuttles are fusion-driven warp)

Hold up, what media did the fusion-driven warp bit come from?

MikeJF posted:

Her being Captain Freeman's old friend is yet another tease at Freeman and child Mariner having been on the Enterprise-D.

There's this whole bit too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGIzX3MBzw

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

:eyepop: That is some loving 4d chess if they based her design off some random child extra. Holy poo poo.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Martytoof posted:

- Has Tendi actually been portrayed as being super gifted? If so I think I just kind of missed it because she’s been a super background character. Her reassignment also felt like it came out of left field, but mainly because I was left thinking like.. “ok, I guess??” Not complaining about seeing her on the bridge or away missions though, just felt odd.

Absolutely she has yes. She genetically engineered The Dog:

Memory Alpha posted:

The Dog was a genetically engineered lifeform created by Ensign D'Vana Tendi in 2380, during her free time aboard the USS Cerritos.

Tendi created The Dog from inert carbon, hand-edited all six billion sequences that were encoded in her DNA, which included the reorganization of her mitochondria, and her protein bonds successfully accepted the Cas9 snipping without any cellular degradation. The end result made her 5% faster and 6% smarter than a typical dog.

Although she was modeled after a domestic dog from Earth, The Dog had abilities beyond those of normal canines, including the ability to shape-shift, walk on walls, have her eyes become bat-winged creatures and fly out of her mouth, speak in a language recognizable by the universal translator, hover, and spit lightning. Tendi deliberately gave The Dog these features, as Orion did not have dogs, and Tendi mistakenly believed these were attributes of "normal" dogs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I feel like Lower Decks will hit us with a genuinely emotional gut punch at some point.

Did you not see the end of season one!!!

Poor peanut hamper :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dr_rat posted:

Did you not see the end of season one!!!

Poor peanut hamper :(

Uh, peanut hamper was a total jerk, don't feel sorry for them.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This series really had me by the heart when it did a whole episode on the appropriate way to handle a toxic narcissist in your life (Shove them out the air airlock).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Uh, peanut hamper was a total jerk, don't feel sorry for them.

Yeah, they could of made admiral :cry:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Anyone else catch the art reference to the old TNG galaxy map?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That's another loving deep cut. This show, man...

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I feel like the Solvang getting destroyed by the Pakleds was a pretty serious gut punch. I was like “Holy poo poo, that whole crew is dead.”

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Of all the races they could chose to portray as a legitimate threat, the showrunners chose the Pakleds. And they've not only made it work, but have made it work well. I love that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Being intentionally malevolent? That's a bad guy. Being intentionally malevolent and using inherent stupidity as a means of engendering trust while also annoying everybody you come into contact with? That's a really bad guy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Anyone else catch the art reference to the old TNG galaxy map?

I was waiting for that to show up, it's been reused a lot. Like, it showed up in the Orville at one point, it's so iconic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

The interview with McMahan touches on Freeman's arrest somewhat, it sounds like all the pieces are already in play. I'm betting Rumdar was a better spy than we think.

I kind of hope this turns into a reveal the Pakleds are a lot more cunning than folks give them credit for. I mean they seem to be pretty decent at engineering even if the tech is stuff they stole.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I kind of hope this turns into a reveal the Pakleds are a lot more cunning than folks give them credit for. I mean they seem to be pretty decent at engineering even if the tech is stuff they stole.
Yeah that was supposed to be the point of the original episode; they were bad at communicating and language but otherwise as smart or smarter than the other major races and used their being misunderstood as leverage to leapfrog centuries in advancement by begging and stealing technology. It's actually an interesting idea but the original script played the comedy derpness up a bit too much, so itd be interesting to see if Lower Decks actually goes for the long con with them too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

look at all that pretty foreshadowing

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

zoux posted:

For me, the answer to the question of why cartoon Trek is best Trek going is that it loving gave me all I ever wanted, which was just another ship and another crew in the normal continuity past DS9. Have them.going on episodic adventures with light continuity encountering weird things and moral dilemmas. I don’t know why they just won’t make this loving show for real instead of a cartoon or literally letting other companies make this show. Lower Decks feels a piece of TNG/VOY/DS9 and that's why it’s so good.

Speaking of, “Who the gently caress is Jadiza Dax I don’t know who that is”

Yeah, I mean I know it's getting old hat at this point to point out how Discovery and Picard get too locked into 'fate of every living being in the universe is at stake' stuff, but this last LD episode really underscores that, in that they went for a more or less straight-up TNG episode here, and it feels like one of the best Star Trek episodes in years. I'm just constantly impressed by how well it toes the line between "heartfelt homage/celebration of star trek" and "just more star trek". It never feels like full-on parody, even though it's occasionally very funny (and consistently poking fun at star trek fandom". That whole exchange about Dax and Spock was my favourite moment in the episode, I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In theory that's what Strange New Worlds will be but to be honest as much as I like Mount there's so much baggage around the setting and the quasi-reboot and I don't really like how they've handled redesigning and retconning and I don't really know that I'm going to end up watching it because it just all irritates me with the faux-retro 'this is how it really was' and eh. That's probably just a me problem (I acknowledge I'm a bit of a grognard) and maybe SNW will work for all the people who want the cool weekly lower stakes adventures trek but it does seem dumb to offer that traditional Trek adventure show that's been clamored for with the albatross around the neck of being not!TOS instead of just doing one that can be itself.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 15, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MikeJF posted:

In theory that's what Strange New Worlds will be but to be honest as much as I like Mount there's so much baggage around the setting and the quasi-reboot and I don't really like how they've handled redesigning and retconning and I don't really know that I'm going to end up watching it because it just all irritates me with the faux-retro 'this is how it really was' and eh. That's probably just a me problem (I acknowledge I'm a bit of a grognard) and maybe SNW will work for all the people who want the cool weekly lower stakes adventures trek but it does seem dumb to offer that traditional Trek adventure show that's been clamored for with the albatross around the neck of being not!TOS instead of just doing one that can be itself.

I don't mind the redesigns - I think the Enterprise interior/exterior look amazing and I can't imagine the show ever working with 60's looking sets, but it does speak to that weird thing where I think the assumption in the TV world is that people love Kirk-era Star Trek the best, whereas it's completely obvious that Star Trek fandom loves TNG era Trek above all else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh it would never have worked with fully 1960s, but my opinion of modernization is that it's fine if they look basically the same when you cross your eyes really really hard, and you should work with modern ideas of technology and design fidelity but respect the styles and intentions of the time.

That's a discussion that's been had many times, though: my big point here is that they've (supposedly) listened and made the style of series people wanted - but saddled it with a bunch of baggage to turn a subset of the people who wanted it off for any of a dozen reasons they may have to dislike the setting, they've given it a bunch of preexpectations in many viewers minds due to where it is and who the characters are, and they've limited what its possibilities for the show and ship and main characters to develop are. It's meant to serve the function of being the Cool Fun Chill Trek Exploring Show but can never just be "Cool Fun Chill Trek Exploring Show" because it's always going to be "TOS Enterprise Prequel Show with baby Spock and Uhura". And in the meantime people are watching Lower Decks do TNG episodes and wish there was a proper TNNG.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 15, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ban all prequels

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Martytoof posted:

I’d love to read any reviews of LD from the perspective of someone for whom this is their first Trek, or the first Trek they’re actually consuming in earnest.

I like it. It doesn't make me laugh out loud a whole lot, but I enjoy watching it.

I think the funniest episode for me was 2x09, which thinking about it may be because the broad concepts of the Vulcans and the Klingons are so well known that even my neonate rear end knows what they're going for.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Martytoof posted:

I want to show this to a friend but they’re only casually acquainted with Star Trek. I’m a little worried that a non-insignificant portion of the humour is still a little too predicated on knowing what they’re making fun of — I find that my biggest laughs still happen when they send off some Trek trope, but I might try it as an experiment.

My partner didn't know a thing about Star Trek until we met, and even then her only experience of it over the years was a couple of TOS and TNG episodes we occasionally caught on broadcast TV. She liked TOS for its 60s chintziness (but that's about it), and she liked TNG because she likes optimism and people getting along (and also she really loves Data).

She adores Lower Decks, it's probably her favourite show at the moment and she was really bummed out when I told her this week's episode was the last one. She freely admits there's loads of stuff that goes over her head but it doesn't bother her, because she likes the characters and their interactions and she really likes its ethos. It makes her a bit misty eyed from time to time, even.

Basically she likes and respects what she's seen of TNG, but it's maybe a bit too stuffy for her. So LDS is perfect for her.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Barry Foster posted:

Basically she likes and respects what she's seen of TNG, but it's maybe a bit too stuffy for her. So LDS is perfect for her.

Yeah, that same optimism about bettering ourselves but without the weird dictates about having no interpersonal conflict really makes LDS resonate for me. Despite the cartoony over the topness it's still a more grounded look at the Federation/Starfleet culture we saw in TNG, and as a kid who dreamed of living on the Ent-D back in the 90s I love that.

Now I'm just sad we have to wait for more.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shyrka posted:

Yeah, that same optimism about bettering ourselves but without the weird dictates about having no interpersonal conflict really makes LDS resonate for me. Despite the cartoony over the topness it's still a more grounded look at the Federation/Starfleet culture we saw in TNG, and as a kid who dreamed of living on the Ent-D back in the 90s I love that.

Now I'm just sad we have to wait for more.

Is there a good article somewhere that goes into the stodgy influence Roddenberry had on TNG in terms of what people were and weren't allowed to write into the stories? I sometimes see people reference the various restrictions writers had to push back against and am curious.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

The Grumbles posted:

Is there a good article somewhere that goes into the stodgy influence Roddenberry had on TNG in terms of what people were and weren't allowed to write into the stories? I sometimes see people reference the various restrictions writers had to push back against and am curious.

While it's not it's entire focus and there probably are better deep dives on Roddenberry in particular, I watched this recently enough that it's fresh in mind and it does go into some detail on Roddenberry's influence (and lack thereof as his health declined) on early TNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB08m-d1hhc

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Was that a Star Fleet Battles reference or diddolphins appear in Star Trek in other places?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 15, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MadScientistWorking posted:

Was that a Star Fleet Battles reference or diddolphins appear in Star Trek in other places?

"Cetacean Ops" was mentioned in TNG more than once and it was in the schematics but they never showed it on screen

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The other Star Trek, Sea Trek, did though

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's a ST4 joke reference that made its way as an easter egg into TNG. You can read it as 'starfleet has whales working in ships' or as 'after the probe incident every starship has a couple of whales for use in emergencies'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like to imagine each Starfleet vessel is built around a whale

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That Cetacean Ops scene does suggest that the Cali class really is pretty big, I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
With Cetacean Ops scratched off the list, what other silly apocrypha is on people's Lower Decks wishlist?

If Micheal Dorn ever cameos, I wanna see a family home holo-tape of Worf's bar mitzvah