Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I have no idea what the etiquette is. Do you get a bap before dogging and risk turning up with some ketchup stains down yourself, do you bring it in case they want a bite as a cheeky mid-shag snack, or do you go for a bap together afterwards? It's a social minefield quite frankly.

I think it depends on the hand-washing facilities available. Nobody wants to go dogging on a full stomach, but at the same time after a session I'd *definitely* want to wash at least my hands before handling food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Totally fine having state approved murder promoted on daytime TV. not a problem at all, normal country.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They're now officially to the right of Judge Death. "Living is the crime, the punishment is death" at least also implies a lack of discrimination.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but the actual quote is "The Crime is Life. The sentence is Death."

https://2000ad.com/news/the-crime-is-life-the-sentence-is-death/

I'm afraid the punishment for getting a quote wrong on the Internet, is also Death.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think it depends on the hand-washing facilities available. Nobody wants to go dogging on a full stomach, but at the same time after a session I'd *definitely* want to wash at least my hands before handling food.

Many people are still in the habit of carrying hand sanitiser with them. Should be fine.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
STARE INTO THE FIST OF JUDGE DREDD

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They're now officially to the right of Judge Death. "Living is the crime, the punishment is death" at least also implies a lack of discrimination.

I'm sorry to break it to you but it's been this way for a long time:

Independent posted:

At the National Security Council today Mr Cameron unveiled a series of measures that he said would crack down on people holding minority “extremist” views that differed from Britain’s consensus.

“For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',” he said.

Britain is too tolerant and should interfere more in people's lives, says David Cameron

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

Breaking the law of the sea is more serious than trespassing though, so shouldn't the border guards get the death penalty too?

Any border guard letting an illegal* through to be deported outside our borders to balance it out

*Horrible that people call other people illegal. Also this premise is from the novel the Wall, which is a far cheerier vision of our future than is likely

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

We're a hair's breadth away from the bits in Nineteen-Eighty-Four that don't get endlessly parroted by people who haven't read it:

George Orwell posted:

April 4th, 1984. Last night to the flicks. All war films. One very good one of a ship full of refugees being bombed somewhere in the Mediterranean. Audience much amused by shots of a great huge fat man trying to swim away with a helicopter after him, first you saw him wallowing along in the water like a porpoise, then you saw him through the helicopters gunsights, then he was full of holes and the sea round him turned pink and he sank as suddenly as though the holes had let in the water, audience shouting with laughter when he sank. Then you saw a lifeboat full of children with a helicopter hovering over it - there was a middle-aged woman might have been a Jewess sitting up in the bow with a little boy about three years old in her arms, little boy screaming with fright and hiding his head between her breasts as if he was trying to burrow right into her and the woman putting her arms round him and comforting him although she was blue with fright herself, all the time covering him up as much as possible as if she thought her arms could keep the bullets off him. Then the helicopter planted a 20 kilo bomb in among them terrific flash and the boat went all to matchwood. Then there was a wonderful shot of a child’s arm going up up up right up into the air a helicopter with a camera in its nose must have followed it up and there was a lot of applause from the party seats but a woman down in the prole part of the house suddenly started kicking up a fuss and shouting they didnt oughter of showed it not in front of kids they didnt it ain't right not in front of kids it ain't, until the police turned her turned her out. I don't suppose anything happened to her. Nobody cares what the proles say.

Who am I kidding? If newsreels were still a thing or a blockbuster film came out now with a graphic scene of helicopters strafing a boat of migrants in the Channel you'd get pretty much this right now. It's just hidden and fragmented in a million social media posts.

It's interesting and a little disturbing that Orwell picked up on exactly the same sort of tendencies - a mix of animal bloodlust (cheering as you bomb the boat full of forrins) and mawkish sentimentality (won't someone think of Our Children?) in people (the British people especially?) that is so evident today.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Reading the FT, as you do, when

quote:

Yet while the wheels of the global economy seem to be coming off, the British economy is being scraped face-first across the economic tarmac.

[snip]

[...] Having concluded that these random acts of self-sabotage were delivering the desired response, Netflix followed up with Chaos Kong, which simulates a much broader service failure.

Late in 2019, the British people decided that Chaos Kong would make a good prime minister and elected Boris Johnson by a large margin.

Now that's a comparison. The piece is otherwise very :brainworms:, but that's expected.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

It's the same attitude conservatives have to all criminal justice.
"The reason people commit crimes is that the punishments aren't strong enough. If we brought in the Death Penalty for every crime, no one would commit any crime!"

Pretty sure someone tried this in Imperial China and it backfired horribly. When everything from insurrection to petty theft is punishable by death, nicking a Jaffa cake will escalate to "I'm hosed anyway, YOLO armed insurrection time!".

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I have no idea what the etiquette is. Do you get a bap before dogging and risk turning up with some ketchup stains down yourself, do you bring it in case they want a bite as a cheeky mid-shag snack, or do you go for a bap together afterwards? It's a social minefield quite frankly.

I think with etiquette if you're dogging behind the cafe you buy something from the cafe. After all if you use a pub's toilet you buy a drink.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Reading the FT, as you do, when

Now that's a comparison. The piece is otherwise very :brainworms:, but that's expected.

He's stupid, he's dangerous, he's racist too.
He's my least favourite of the DK crew.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Someone's just walked into a Tory MP's surgery and repeatedly stabbed him.

https://news.sky.com/story/conservative-mp-david-amess-stabbed-multiple-times-in-incident-at-constituency-surgery-12434498

It's David Amess, in Leigh-on-Sea. Nothing further confirmed, though I'm sure Twitter can fulfil all your wild speculation needs

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/MirrorBreaking_/status/1448993432274354209

Yikes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jfc that's awful. My mind's already racing at how this will be weaponised.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
on the one hand:

stev posted:

My mind's already racing at how this will be weaponised.

on the other, he's a Tory, I can't be bothered to try and summon up even a gram of sympathy

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Isn't cutting, blood and knives generally something you'd expect from a surgery?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've no sympathy at all, but yeah, not looking forward to the blowback on this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Isn't cutting, blood and knives generally something you'd expect from a surgery?

would prefer a piece of cake to be cut up tbh

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Obvious leftist extremism, Keith will apologize.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Barry Foster posted:

I've no sympathy at all, but yeah, not looking forward to the blowback on this.

gently caress this guy, not for what he did, but for the inevitable legislative response

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty awful that MPs can't do the public facing part of their job without the fear of some lunatic murdering them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
He was in Brass Eye's Drug episode talking about Cake.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sinky posted:

Obvious leftist extremism, Keith will apologize.

Expect to see Angela Rayner calling Tories "scum" brought up a lot.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

sebzilla posted:

But not this, for some reason

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Can't wait for Patel to ban antifa without a shred of self awareness.

stev posted:

Except in this analogy they also want to apply the death penalty to all victims of crime too.
It's so much worse than the death penalty, it's framing the answer to 'they will die' as a big fat shrug, like so much right wing / tory answers to this kind of thing.

It's incredibly frustrating because you can point out all you like that people who are in situations like that will die if they aren't helped, and they'll keep saying that the person shouldn't have done something / should have done something else.

Like how homeless people should 'just get a job,' ignoring the fact that the person on the streets is there specifically because they were unable to get a job, whether from mental health issues, disability the government refused to support, or addiction issues the health service was ideologically opposed to treating. No, they should just get a job. When all the shelters are full, and the police keep moving you on every few months, and you have no permenant address, and are unsuitable for work.

The horrifying truth of the situation is that someone in that situation will die, given a long enough timeline or a harsh enough winter. What they need is help. What they especially don't need is a lecture from some smug oval office who's never experienced real hardship about what they should have done.

The metaphor i'd use is that a drowning person needs a float to grab onto, not a lecture about jumping into water: except that loops back to the actual, literal situation we're talking about.

Jesus it's nightmarish how spiteful some people are.

BalloonFish posted:

We're a hair's breadth away from the bits in Nineteen-Eighty-Four that don't get endlessly parroted by people who haven't read it:
As with modern life, the problem there is the people identifying with the attack helicopter.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 15, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/NealOKelly/status/1448995599274188800

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A stabbed Tory... i would like to express my lack of feeling about this occurrence. :silent:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Amess is a prominent Eurosceptic and opponent of LGBT rights. Could be to do with either of those, could be to do with broader government policy, could be to do with a personal matter.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe the assailant will turn out to be a Muslim and the the government and opposition can join forces to demonise a minority.

Oct 4, 2005

Total speculation but I imagine its a mental health issue

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Has anyone checked CSPAM to make sure the pit of leftist indoctrination hasn't struck again?

Even though it's inevitably going to turn out that the guy was a confused antivaxxer, this is going to be the tories very own Jo Cox to hammer what remains of the left.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Was a day or two ago they were going to rat out and punish doctors who wouldn't meet patients.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/YourSouthend/status/1448999488861913118

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sky said this heli landed 2 hours after it happened.
So it was not immediately fatal, hes getting worse, or its just in case needed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's heartening to know all the people who said Jo Cox's murderer was a lone wolf who sprung fully formed from the aether will immediately say Raynor personally did this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Priti Patel will say that the Air Ambulance should be immune from consequences if they decide to just not bother.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tesseraction posted:

It's heartening to know all the people who said Jo Cox's murderer was a lone wolf who sprung fully formed from the aether will immediately say Raynor personally did this.

Keith will take advantage of this opportunity to fire Raynor and rid himself of another internal rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tesseraction posted:

And conveniently forget Patel inciting people to attack 'activist' lawyers