Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lol that's honestly a really cute concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's cute, but that thing has no hooves.

Edit: maybe it does, I missed it's spindly legs and thought it was floating for some reason.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Screw it edit it all away.

2 more of these.
https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1449053666539941890

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1449053944144072707

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 15, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Those are dope as hell.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Now that is what Secret Lair art should aspire to. Beautiful!

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYJLXvJdWSY

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

These are cool but they should have picked more popular creatures!! Who the hell is casting Metal Work Colossus in 2021 lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That kids art thing owns

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

These are cool but they should have picked more popular creatures!! Who the hell is casting Metal Work Colossus in 2021 lol

Timmy and Tammy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just realized that Champion of the Perished is a play on Champion of the Parish from OG Innistrad

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Yeah, why didn't these children draw something fun sounding like "Dark Confidant" or "Snapcaster Mage" smdh

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Mind Flayer is actually really funnily bad to me. Like the cards are not made to be particularly pushed or anything, Dustin has cheaper analogues, and Lucas's ability is kind of weak. but those can be excused to some extent since they're paired commanders that have 2 colors and you can build around. The Mind Flayer wants to be a 7 mana "draw 1 extra card per turn for each opponent" effect. At a baseline draw an extra card per turn effects that scale up tend to cost 5 (Curse of Surveillance, Honden of Seeing Winds), with black of course having the really popular Phyrexian Arena and Underworld Connections at 3 for non-scaling ones (Connections does need 1 extra mana each turn).

But then Mind Flayer doesn't actually draw you a card each turn effectively. In fact, if it could play stolen lands then it'd be much closer to drawing an extra card per opponent per turn, but it doesn't do that. It only allows casting permanent spells, meaning for even the most creature heavy decks this is like drawing half an extra card per turn. In most cases it'll be drawing like 0.3-0.4 cards per turn per opponent, which becomes extremely crappy on a 7 mana card. And it also makes the payoff significantly harder to achieve as well.

Finally, looking at the payoff, you get a 9/9 vanilla creature. In a lot of ways this actually ends up being worse than just having the enchantment, as it now becomes vulnerable to creature removal, and has no evasion or any way to protect itself. This is where they could have put a really flavorful ability that protects/reanimates itself by sacrificing the stolen permanents or something, but nope. Just a 9/9 vanilla that can be chumped freely and does nothing more if you actually achieve the condition, which the triggered ability again does a really poor job of doing in normal cases.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The children's artwork owns. That's gimmick art I can get behind

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

The Mind Flayer is actually really funnily bad to me. Like the cards are not made to be particularly pushed or anything, Dustin has cheaper analogues, and Lucas's ability is kind of weak. but those can be excused to some extent since they're paired commanders that have 2 colors and you can build around. The Mind Flayer wants to be a 7 mana "draw 1 extra card per turn for each opponent" effect. At a baseline draw an extra card per turn effects that scale up tend to cost 5 (Curse of Surveillance, Honden of Seeing Winds), with black of course having the really popular Phyrexian Arena and Underworld Connections at 3 for non-scaling ones (Connections does need 1 extra mana each turn).

But then Mind Flayer doesn't actually draw you a card each turn effectively. In fact, if it could play stolen lands then it'd be much closer to drawing an extra card per opponent per turn, but it doesn't do that. It only allows casting permanent spells, meaning for even the most creature heavy decks this is like drawing half an extra card per turn. In most cases it'll be drawing like 0.3-0.4 cards per turn per opponent, which becomes extremely crappy on a 7 mana card. And it also makes the payoff significantly harder to achieve as well.

Finally, looking at the payoff, you get a 9/9 vanilla creature. In a lot of ways this actually ends up being worse than just having the enchantment, as it now becomes vulnerable to creature removal, and has no evasion or any way to protect itself. This is where they could have put a really flavorful ability that protects/reanimates itself by sacrificing the stolen permanents or something, but nope. Just a 9/9 vanilla that can be chumped freely and does nothing more if you actually achieve the condition, which the triggered ability again does a really poor job of doing in normal cases.

I'm obviously not experienced much with Magic but this is the first card I've seen that pulls from the bottom of opponents' decks. Aside from the thematic quality (the upside-down place), doesn't this alter the deal a bit, e.g., when someone mulligans they put their discard on the bottom, and certain other card effects also have you stick stuff at the bottom of your deck? Obviously as soon as you have even one deck shuffle effect that goes out the window, and you can't exactly get the flayer card out quickly, so maybe it's irrelevant.

Mostly though I think it's the theme. The monster draws from the upside-down place, first you get attacked by corruptions of your own people, and then eventually it breaks through into the world and attacks you directly. Compared to the weaker themes in the mechanics of the various Friends, this seems more connected to the monster's flavor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

Hey Craterhoof and Mulldrifter are definitely playable but all three so far are pretty catchy designs for kids. One's a big thumb, the other is a bright blue fish with wings and the third is a big lego man.

Snapcaster's just a Dude

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If they let you draw from the bottom of your own deck it'd be abusable, I bet. There's effects where cards go to the bottom of the library because the designer wanted for sure for you to not find that card again easily. But since it's your opponents' decks I don't think it's that significant, other than changing the way your opponents decide to scry.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

ilmucche posted:

it's a little lovely for the professional artists to seemingly willfully misinterpret parts of the kids' sketches, but as long as the kids are happy who cares

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

resistentialism posted:

If they let you draw from the bottom of your own deck it'd be abusable, I bet. There's effects where cards go to the bottom of the library because the designer wanted for sure for you to not find that card again easily. But since it's your opponents' decks I don't think it's that significant, other than changing the way your opponents decide to scry.

Yeah, unfortunately, Black doesn't have too many "bottom of deck" effects

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Abottom+color%3DB

I love the flavor, but I'm having trouble coming up with combos it could be abused with as a commander

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's a little lovely for the professional artists to seemingly willfully misinterpret parts of the kids' sketches, but as long as the kids are happy who cares

this is an incredible take

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

dragon enthusiast posted:

agreed and also they should all be dragons am i right

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

neaden posted:

New secret lair accidentally revealed on Arena
https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1449050103780716556?s=20
Looks like a charity fundraiser for kids.

Aranan posted:

Maybe a series of cards where kids illustrate something, then a professional artist does art based on the kid's?

Isn't extra life next week?
Last Extra Life promo set was Plneswalkers and their kids, right?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Only let's you do your library, but its the only similar effect I can think of.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

There are a few artifacts that let you tuck cards from your opponents' graveyards on the bottom of their library

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If mill effects worked based on the bottom of your library, maybe people would understand them better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PleasantDirge posted:

Do it D&D style and give cards abilities like "The filthiest" and "chicken fucker" and I'm 100% in on the John Waters collection. We only do 3 things in Maryland: Crab cakes, football lacrosse, and filth!

FTFY

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fatherboxx posted:

Babs Command 3BG
Sorcery

Choose two

Kill everyone now - destroy all creaures
Condone first degree murder - exile target creature
Advocate cannibalism - gain 1 life for each creature that left battlefield this turn
Eat poo poo - return up to 2 target permanents from your graveyard to your hand

Eat poo poo shouldn't target so it can get back creatures that died from Kill everyone now, imo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Eat poo poo shouldn't target so it can get back creatures that died from Kill everyone now, imo.

Also should swap the destroy and exile effects, so you can exile the one obnoxious recurring threat while blowing up the rest of the board.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'd make Condone first-degree murder Planeswalker removal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Celler Door is black

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Vessel of Endless Rest, Junktroller, Cogwork Archivist, Cellar Door and Reito Lantern all do the deed

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

they updated will's card

(they forgot this one though)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ilmucche posted:

if you enjoy this sort of gimmick, there is a professional animator and artist, Thomas Romain, who lives in japan with his wife and two young sons. When his sons draw things, he takes those and draws incredibly beautiful watercolor interpretations of them. he released a book and apparently is planning on releasing a second one, I got the first one and it's wonderful.
https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/1062732245830516736

definitely worth checking out if the concept appeals to you, and his making-of videos are fascinating as well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:lol: at this in the Arena deals today:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Lol yes, please, rub salt in the wound

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Yawgmoth posted:

Look, they've got about 200,000 full-art digital Trickeries that they need to unload, of course it's going be on sale

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm sure the person who played a First Sliver Brawl deck that cascaded into Trickery against me is happy about this. Others may not care about it anymore but not them.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

5 AlrunDragon decks in a row on Bo3 ladder. Ugh.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I made the Halloween qualifier through limited. This is the third I've made that way and keep 0-2ing because I don't know what is happening in constructed at all. Anybody have thoughts on the current historic meta?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Put all of the broken cards in a deck with a mana base you can't afford, duh.

I am almost done crafting all of my Pathways. Will probably do Shocks next. I don't really play historic, and only do constructed for dailies, though. But like all formats, I figured that as long as I have a good mana base I can play whatever.

Been enjoying Jump In and the Harvestide event. Jump In packa have 8 lands each, a big improvement over 9 lands in Jumpstart. The curves seem better as well. Some of the Jumpstart packs have way too many 5-drops.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 17, 2021

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rides Naked posted:

I made the Halloween qualifier through limited. This is the third I've made that way and keep 0-2ing because I don't know what is happening in constructed at all. Anybody have thoughts on the current historic meta?

Here's a snapshot of it with full sideboards.

https://mtgazone.com/historic-bo3-metagame-tier-list/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
FWIW I took a little break from grinding in Historic because it got boring but post-JS I've spruced up my old Jund Sacrifice/Bolas' Citadel deck and it's doing great on the ladder. It's very flexible, and I haven't seen many other people playing it, so a lot of players don't seem to know how to combat its slipperiness. It has a remarkable ability to pick apart most creature-based decks.

Decklist:

4 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204
4 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
4 Prosperous Innkeeper (AFR) 200
1 Swamp (AFR) 273
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79
4 Woe Strider (THB) 123
1 Phyrexian Tower (JMP) 493
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
2 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
2 Yawgmoth, Thran Physician (MH1) 116
3 Blightstep Pathway (KHM) 252
3 Blooming Marsh (KLR) 280
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
4 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
4 Collected Company (AKR) 186

Dropping a citadel, flooding the board with creatures, and then using citadel's ability + Mayhem Devil to blow away your opponent will never not be fun, especially when your opponent has you on your back foot.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 17, 2021