Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

sigher posted:

The D-Pad being useless (so far) is weird,

Raise your hand if you knew that using the left d-pad button temporarily expanded your minimap a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

sigher posted:

Just got to Ferenia and I'm not sure what to do against this first encounter, nothing seems to work against him unless I'm missing some visual cues...

The Chozo Soldier? Just pump missiles into him, and flash shift over him when he comes up to melee you (or counter the white melee strike)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Jesus christ every single one of these emmi encounters has been absolutely infuriating, reminds me of resistance 2 where every 10 feet theres another one shot kill "puzzle". otherwise I'm loving it.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 16, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Jesus christ every single one of these emmi encounters has been absolutely infuriating, reminds me of resistance 2 where every 10 feet theres another one shot kill "puzzle". otherwise I'm loving it.

There's literally one fool proof method to doing each one with not issues at all. For instance one has grapple points everywhere, you don't even need to look at the emmi once; until you do the absolutely gripping and exciting "stand at the end of a long corridor holding down shoot" sequence of course.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The biggest flaw in the EMMI encounters is that they're too short and they respawn you too quickly, allowing people to brute force their way through instead of engaging in a thrilling game of cat and mouse. Hopefully this error will be corrected in Metroid Dread 2.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, I was following a speedrun for my "under 4 hours" playthrough (normal mode; I'll try hard mode next) and overall kept up well (though he finished with 1:52 or something, and I'm sitting at 2:34 before the final boss) and realized once I got to the final boss that he/I never picked up the space jump. Not the worst news ever, but it makes the second phase of Raven's Beak a bitch. I could go back for it; I just don't want to risk the time going by too much while I go get it and back.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
hilariously, the only time I've gotten the QTE escape on emmi was the time I just put my controller down because I got caught only to be like wait what? oh poo poo! then immediately died because my adrenaline was through the roof.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Other M has like 3 unskippable first person pixel hunts and that's a crime.

One of those is why I never beat it, I never found where it was and I wasn't enjoying anything else in it much so I bounced after,

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

The biggest flaw in the EMMI encounters is that they're too short and they respawn you too quickly, allowing people to brute force their way through instead of engaging in a thrilling game of cat and mouse. Hopefully this error will be corrected in Metroid Dread 2.

Unless they also make the EMMIs more "fair" or better design some of the later sections, I feel like that'd make it so much worse/more frustrating.

The last two EMMis really have the problem of basically just spawning on top of you, and never patrolling away.
https://i.imgur.com/2P5SjkV.mp4
Like the gently caress is this?

The cloak is basically a trap, and the correct way to do this section is to go as fast as you can.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ROJO posted:

The Chozo Soldier? Just pump missiles into him, and flash shift over him when he comes up to melee you (or counter the white melee strike)

Thanks, it didn't seem to take damage and just tanked it all. Glad that's done with.

This dude it confirmed my suspicion that some attacks can have random start-ups. This red Melee attack can either be dodged at your own leisure or you won't be dodging it unless you're precognative to it's 0 frame start-up. I'm pretty sure the EMMI kills do the same thing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Oxyclean posted:

Unless they also make the EMMIs more "fair" or better design some of the later sections, I feel like that'd make it so much worse/more frustrating.

The last two EMMis really have the problem of basically just spawning on top of you, and never patrolling away.

The cloak is basically a trap, and the correct way to do this section is to go as fast as you can.

Seems like there was a pretty good opening to move to the right, and then either keep going that way or double back left through the door below depending on which way you're going. You don't need to perfectly ghost the level without ever getting detected, just use the cloak enough to get past.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The cloak is not an instant win button. Samus's extreme mobility and speed allow her to outpace Emmi's pretty easily and your goal is to reach the point where you can lose sight of them. Even then you don't want to stand still.

I think the #1 thing people get wrong about the cloak is that the invisibility is not the primary feature it offers. It's the lack of sound when moving.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Hopefully this error will be corrected in Metroid Dread 2.

I want to see what a Metroid game is like when you start out fully powered, and then sacrifice powers after each boss or area and then end is trying to defeat the final boss and then escape finally stripped down to just lemon blaster.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Seems like there was a pretty good opening to move to the right, and then either keep going that way or double back left through the door below depending on which way you're going. You don't need to perfectly ghost the level without ever getting detected, just use the cloak enough to get past.
To progress this section, you're going left to right.

There's a big pool of water to the right, I'd have to drop the cloak after a moment or two and then the EMMI would have been alerted and on my rear end instantly.

To the left would have basically been the same. The grapple door seems to be there to waste time/give you a chance to make noise. The solution is pretty much to just Flash dash across the gap so you don't even touch the water. which I could have probably done in this instance but it just didn't really dawn on me until a later attempt. The fact the AI is bouncing between the ceiling and floor feels almost janky. Again, cloak seems next to useless in this scenario since I would have been better just gunning it from the get go.

It's not the end of the world, but it doesn't surprise me one bit people brute force when the latter sections become really unforgiving.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Oxyclean posted:

the correct way to do this section is to go as fast as you can.

I got some use out of the cloak, but absolutely yes. The Emmi can be a screen away from you as you run, but if you go through a door and come back out, it'll reset it's patrol to be right outside. Plot a course and keep going.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The EMMI are annoying because they know where you are even if you cloak.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Khanstant posted:

I want to see what a Metroid game is like when you start out fully powered, and then sacrifice powers after each boss or area and then end is trying to defeat the final boss and then escape finally stripped down to just lemon blaster.

you weren't the only one https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5387.msg69226.html

It's a romhack of Super Metroid where you start with every item and each "pickup" location removes the corresponding ability from Samus.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

uPen posted:

The EMMI are annoying because they know where you are even if you cloak.

They know where you were even after you cloak. That's what all the pinging is about when you're not cloaked, they're hearing you and moving to that location.

This is my point! People don't learn how the system works! The EMMI encounters are actually really cool and fun once you get a feel for it!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

They know where you were even after you cloak. That's what all the pinging is about when you're not cloaked, they're hearing you and moving to that location.

This is my point! People don't learn how the system works! The EMMI encounters are actually really cool and fun once you get a feel for it!
:emptyquote:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Snake Maze posted:

Run to a T junction with a yellow alert going, cloak before choosing which direction to go. No matter which direction you pick the EMMI will always go down the corridor you chose, even though you've been cloaked from the decision point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm not the only one who thinks that they probably moved around item pick ups and you were supposed to get the wave beam from the Experiment Z fight right? He shoots the same colored beams at you.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah this is basically where I'm at.

Like, the best way to handle an EMMI is to run until they ping you, then activate cloak and keep running; the EMMI will typically reach your ping and search around there for a while, giving you plenty of time to widen the gap.

Pretty much the only time this doesn't work is in the exact section Oxyclean is talking about, because it's incredibly narrow and difficult for you to actually get around the EMMI. It's my least favorite EMMI section by far.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I'm not the only one who thinks that they probably moved around item pick ups and you were supposed to get the wave beam from the Experiment Z fight right? He shoots the same colored beams at you.

I do find myself wondering what that Core-X had. Felt very mean to tease us with that powerup we don't get.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

uPen posted:

Run to a T junction with a yellow alert going, cloak before choosing which direction to go. No matter which direction you pick the EMMI will always go down the corridor you chose, even though you've been cloaked from the decision point.

this is not correct

Oxyclean posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2P5SjkV.mp4

a supremely lovely hiding spot is what it is
also you don’t need to wait for the emmi to get that far away before it’s “safe” to make a run for it.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 16, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oxyclean posted:

Sorry, normally I agree that the cloak is a problem but come on, at least hide in a corner or something. You should have gotten caught fifty times over doing that.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ImpAtom posted:

The Chozo it possessed had the ability to control Metroids. Based off its mannerisms it somehow either took over or guided the X to Samus, who then absorbed it, unlocking the ability to control Metroids and thus herself.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll just accept they could also control the X. I was worried for a second Samus was actually gonna die :ohdear:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Augus posted:

also you don’t need to wait for the emmi to get that far away before it’s “safe” to make a run for it.

lovely or not, it really shouldn't double back to where it just searched without anything alerting it to do so.

The cloak is dumb and bad and I hate the person who thought Metroid needed any form of stealth.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sorry, normally I agree that the cloak is a problem but come on, at least hide in a corner or something. You should have gotten caught fifty times over doing that.

Is that not a corner? It clearly did not know where I was, it didn't collide with me, it just arbitrarily decided to walk back and forth right over me, over and over, for basically no reason. This is basically the exact scenario cloak should work. Like, the mistake with cloak is trying to use it after being spotted, but when the EMMI still has tracking on you (that red circle.)

The only corners in that area are basically underwater, and the EMMI basically never gives you much space in that section.

Augus posted:

It's literally like seconds away at any time, with a big slow rear end pool of water. The second you uncloak, it books it for you, and it just looking at you stuns you, with basically no spots to break line of sight.

This section is incredibly unforgiving, and honestly the worst example of the EMMI mechanic because there's nowhere to evade the EMMI or loop it around. It's absolutely a section that will lead players to brute force.

e: Like, I get it that everyone wants to reflexively laugh at bad gameplay, but how can you look at the EMMI bouncing back and forth between the ceiling over and over and go "yeah that looks right." - Like it's deliberately designed to try to build tension, but it's a bit much.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 16, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the emmis are very thorough about searching wherever they last heard you, they don’t just wander off to some random corner of the planet. you should just run once they break line of sight with you, you’re a freaking cyborg ninja

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The cloak prevents detection, if you already are detected it's worthless.

Of course, you avoid detection through mobility, which the cloak prevents

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Enjoy, they're all identical

No tension, no fun, just tedium. Terrible execution on a good idea

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 16, 2021

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've only been through 3 EMMIs, but I'm fine with them. They are very fair. You can escape them with the right amount of effort, and they have just the right amount of tension. Best of all, the game checkpoints before them; so it's just a flavor win with no game loss.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I kept the cloak on the whole way through that section since you can let it burn energy after the gauge runs out. Sitting there after you turned it off was a dumbass move, it won't start recharging until you move. You also have flash and grapple as alternate mobility options, it's not like you must use the cloak for every emmi situation

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
There's two kinds of opinions about EMMIs: there's "good but wish they iterated a bit more and weren't so contained," and there's "I am bad at video games"

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Cloak protip: You can start a slide right before activating it, giving you some extra distance at full slide speed. I've been seeing some speedrunners doing this for the cloak doors, and that should be handy for getting away from the EMMI's "last known position" of you.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bleck posted:

There's two kinds of opinions about EMMIs: there's "good but wish they iterated a bit more and weren't so contained," and there's "I am bad at video games"

what about, the arm cannon aiming probably need a tweak so that you aren't shooting straight ahead or at the ceiling?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

brand engager posted:

I kept the cloak on the whole way through that section since you can let it burn energy after the gauge runs out. Sitting there after you turned it off was a dumbass move, it won't start recharging until you move. You also have flash and grapple as alternate mobility options, it's not like you must use the cloak for every emmi situation
No you're right, I eventually solved that section by zipping across the water with the flash. I don't really mind the EMMI sections after clearing the game on hard after I realized to use all my tools and mostly focus on moving. But it's interesting that a lot of new players fall into the trap of trying to hide. (Using what the game told you to do.)

But like, I was responding to someone going "the EMMI sections weren't punishing enough, they should have been more punishing so people wouldn't try to brute force them." and I think that's just a really bizarre take when it's so easy to fail sections like that one.

I'm sharing the clip mostly because I think the AI was being kind of unfair, but also janky in a funny way. Yeah, standing still when I was uncloaked was stupid but I had basically given up at that point since I felt like I had nowhere enough breathing room to get across.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mooseontheloose posted:

what about, the arm cannon aiming probably need a tweak so that you aren't shooting straight ahead or at the ceiling?

I accept this.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bleck posted:

I accept this.

That's the clunkiest part of the Emmi fights, aiming bloooooooows.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Genuinely I find the aiming to be fine when you don't need to be like, super precise

Basically I'm saying its good for fighting and kinda lovely for grappling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Samus aims it the same angle you have the stick pointed, is your joycon going bad?

E: also the emmi never enters the control unit rooms even after you blow the door, so you have a spot to get used to the aiming without the grabby robot breathing down your neck

brand engager fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 16, 2021