Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Those two belugas in CetOps seemed like fun. I hope we get more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

(LD 2x10) The Xindi-Aquatics are probably on big ships like the Galaxy, Cetacean Ops on Cerritos looked pretty small for anything more than two horny belugas.

Big enough for a little skinnydipping, though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Decided Who Watches the Watchers would be daughter's first Trek. Prime directive, starfleet principles, new worlds, dece ep.

She dug it and when we started The Defector she was worried it would be "just a space battle" and wanted more like the first.

She gets trek.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Decided Who Watches the Watchers would be daughter's first Trek. Prime directive, starfleet principles, new worlds, dece ep.

She dug it and when we started The Defector she was worried it would be "just a space battle" and wanted more like the first.

She gets trek.

You are a good parental unit.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

now show her spock's brain

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

now show her spock's brain

I like how bones makes a remote control to run spocks body which, ok whatever the show plays fast and loose with the in universe rules of cybernetics and it is a low budget way to bring him to the planet to get restored.

But the control console has like 4 buttons and apparently one is "grab nearest woman" lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

It was literally a Hail Mary gambit to stave off cancellation because Les Moonves had been sharpening the axe for years and the insane online outrage buzz over it was enough to get it a last chance fourth season.

The fourth season also got Enterprise close enough to the magic 100-episode syndication number (ended up at 98). A lot of people forget this aspect of the season 4 renewal.

But it was always going to be the last season unless the ratings rebounded to season 1 levels, which everyone knew was never going to happen.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Owlbear Camus posted:

But the control console has like 4 buttons and apparently one is "grab nearest woman" lol

Tracks with roddenberry's vision.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Axe-man posted:

Tracks with roddenberry's vision.

The great bird (talons) of the galaxy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The other thing that impressed me is she was pointing out that it was weird the proto-vulcans spoke English and had garb and dwellings that were basically identifiable from human culture and I had to explain to her that basically sometimes things happen for 48 Minute TV Show Reasons and one of those TV show contrivances was the "universal translator" and not making the aliens too alien.

Anyway the reason I'm getting her into it is she's super into RPGs and I'm starting up that Star Trek Adventures campaign and want to include her. On that note, there's a plot I want to run by the Trekkie Brain Trust:

The players' ship, an Ambassador class, is warping to bring whatever to wherever, who cares, and at warp the saucer seperates-- unbidden by anyone on the bridge!

The Star Drive fucks off, stolen by Maquis conspirators. The basic structure is a whodunnit as at least one person, possibly more still in the saucer must have been co-conspirators as for plot reasons it's physically impossible to do without someone in both sections. The saucer can coast a bit in the warp bubble but can't really give chase, and ultimately would end up stranded.

What would you add to punch up this basic concept? Maybe having to deal with a conveniently passing by third party (ooh, Ferengi could be good) to hitch a ride in hot pursuit?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Still watching through Enterprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLvtoKZfxY

Fun, but largely retreading old ground conceptually, and since Archer is so much of the main character, the rest of the command staff don't get to do much. I guess it's a bit of a new twist for the new nazi ubermensch leader to be a spoiled brat playing like a poor baby every time science daddy catches him up to something, but it doesn't exactly make it any more interesting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Owlbear Camus posted:

The other thing that impressed me is she was pointing out that it was weird the proto-vulcans spoke English and had garb and dwellings that were basically identifiable from human culture and I had to explain to her that basically sometimes things happen for 48 Minute TV Show Reasons and one of those TV show contrivances was the "universal translator" and not making the aliens too alien.

Anyway the reason I'm getting her into it is she's super into RPGs and I'm starting up that Star Trek Adventures campaign and want to include her. On that note, there's a plot I want to run by the Trekkie Brain Trust:

The players' ship, an Ambassador class, is warping to bring whatever to wherever, who cares, and at warp the saucer seperates-- unbidden by anyone on the bridge!

The Star Drive fucks off, stolen by Maquis conspirators. The basic structure is a whodunnit as at least one person, possibly more still in the saucer must have been co-conspirators as for plot reasons it's physically impossible to do without someone in both sections. The saucer can coast a bit in the warp bubble but can't really give chase, and ultimately would end up stranded.

What would you add to punch up this basic concept? Maybe having to deal with a conveniently passing by third party (ooh, Ferengi could be good) to hitch a ride in hot pursuit?

1) I am almost positive than in both Probert's original design and Sternbach's final design, the Ambassador class did not have the ability to separate.

2) If it did, the stardrive section wouldn't be able to gently caress off on its own, really, as it has no impulse engines.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Timby posted:

1) I am almost positive than in both Probert's original design and Sternbach's final design, the Ambassador class did not have the ability to separate.

2) If it did, the stardrive section wouldn't be able to gently caress off on its own, really, as it has no impulse engines.

Weird, the game rules give it saucer sep.

Regardless, assume it's a Galaxy then, what else can I do to dress up the conceit?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The ambassador's impulse engines are on the neck so the stardrive would get them. And at the very least it would be able to perform an emergency 'needs-a-starbase-to-reconnect' separation, that's a standard feature since TOS. But it's easy to say it could separate properly if you need it to, there's nothing specifically saying it can't. Maybe with a little impulse engine on the saucer you can't see when docked.

The ambassador's got a small shuttlebay on the saucer as well as the main one on the stardrive, so you might want to work those in (or have them sabotaged if it's inconvenient. Could have the thiefs blow the emergency shuttlebay roof panels - the squares above the hangar doors - and let them all fall out at warp)

I assume this would all be happening out away from Fed space, or step one would be to call up a nearby ship to give chase.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 15, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Owlbear Camus posted:

Maquis conspirators on the saucer section would likely want to try and sabotage communications so that the crew can't warn Starfleet and/or the Cardassians, or call for help.

The Maquis would need to lock down most of the stardrive section as presumably most of the crew would still be loyal to Starfleet. This would hamper the Maquis' ability to efficiently operate the ship as they're both trying to make sure it doesn't get retaken from them, and trying to operate a ship under emergency conditions with less than a skeleton crew.

Could have a dilemma be that there's a Cardassian warship in communications range - you can hail them, but they're likely to just attack and destroy the stardrive section, killing everyone on board. (Also, what was the ship transporting? I'm guessing it was in the stardrive section, and something important that would cause a lot of problems to lose.) Alternately, maybe the players want to try and keep the Cardassians from finding out, both because of aforementioned "seek and destroy" result, but also to prevent the incident from sparking renewed conflict with the Cardassians.

The Maquis co-conspirators are likely to have thought of changing the ~*prefix codes*~ for the stardrive section's computers... but did they remember/get around to change the codes on the shuttlecraft?

Other possible twists:

It's actually a Cardassian false-flag operation intended to sway intergalactic opinion and provide casus belli for another land-grab attempt.

Maybe the Maquis plan to take the stardrive section to a secret base where they mate a different saucer (or even a different shape/craft!) to the stardrive section.

The cargo was secret and the Maquis don't know they have it and it could cause a big problem if it gets hosed with.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Maybe with a little impulse engine on the saucer you can't see when docked.

Strictly speaking, the absence of an impulse exhaust doesn't have to mean there's no impulse drive present; see the lack of impulse exhaust grills on the Nebula and the D'Deridex.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, another possible twist: the Maquis are using the same tech that the Romulans used to brainwash Geordi in The Mind's Eye

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Other possible twists:

It's actually a Cardassian false-flag operation intended to sway intergalactic opinion and provide casus belli for another land-grab attempt.

Maybe the Maquis plan to take the stardrive section to a secret base where they mate a different saucer (or even a different shape/craft!) to the stardrive section.

The cargo was secret and the Maquis don't know they have it and it could cause a big problem if it gets hosed with.

The 'cargo' is an ambassador being secretly transported to under-the-table peace talks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I like this.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, I just binged all of Lower Decks and it's way better than it has any right to be.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Owlbear Camus posted:

Does the Ambassador class have a captain's yacht?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thundercracker posted:

Man, I just binged all of Lower Decks and it's way better than it has any right to be.
The finale of this season also had a few very very deep cuts from TNG

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

The finale of this season also had a few very very deep cuts from TNG

The Rubber Ducky Room and the fact that it’s off-limits is one of my all-time favorite gags now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I love how the hotjo travel mug (AKA the raktajino mug) is the first result when you google 'star trek coffee mug'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kinda neat that The Lower Decks had a refit Excelsior class with Sovereign nacelles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Timby posted:

Impulse engines often get eliminated because they don't have time and details won't really show up on SD anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Impulse engines often get eliminated because they don't have time and details won't really show up on SD anyway.

what? the big orange/red blocks are one of the most noticeable parts of a starship when watching star trek in SD

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

what? the big orange/red blocks are one of the most noticeable parts of a starship when watching star trek in SD

Maybe thrusters were what was meant?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You heard me

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's less that the details won't be noticed and more that a) they don't want to because it'll make the design awkward, b) it's an extra thing to wire up on a ship-of-the-week model and c) it'd make FX more complex since it's an extra motion pass so gently caress it. (Each light set needs a pass: there's one for general lighting, one for windows, one for the warp blues, one for the bussards, one for impulse. Sometimes they leave the bussards off when it's an angle when you won't notice.).

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

bull3964 posted:

Kinda neat that The Lower Decks had a refit Excelsior class with Sovereign nacelles.

I wonder if they considered giving it three nacelles. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fornax Disaster posted:

I wonder if they considered giving it three nacelles. :v:

The Lower Decks crew are good they will understand that three nacelles are the tools of evil.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Word of God is that it's a new modern class with the same form as the Excelsior, but larger. I guess on the basis that it's a very successful design.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

The landing approach for the main shuttlebay is pretty sporty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

The landing approach for the main shuttlebay is pretty sporty.

On the Phoenix you get to fly through a target!

And... we don't talk about the Melbourne.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

On the Phoenix you get to fly through a target!

And... we don't talk about the Melbourne.

Better hope that AWACS dish isn't active while you're coming in for a landing or you're gonna get fried with all sorts of electromagnetic or other nasty poo poo, just bzzzzzzt

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

I feel like this scenario needs a ticking clock to add some urgency. Maybe Maquis sabotage unwittingly released a deadly virus aboard the saucer. Or the Maquis locked out phaser control, and they have to find the traitor before it overloads. Maybe they have to find a way to stop the star drive section before it can reach its destination and destroy a civilian settlement.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I'm randomly bouncing between voyager and enterprise, I thought I'd post some live reactions here.

voyager Vulcan engineer just straight up demands to be married to b'lona in the teaser did I miss something, this is going to be wild.

"I assume this is your first pon far?" lmao Picardo is so good.

Take this incel to the holodeck to get his freak on. Or I guess or he could go to flight club?

I like the starfleet splunking uniforms

Just lol that Tom waits like 5 min before contacting voyager about neelixes broken leg

OMG of course this is some telepathic mind rape poo poo.

I feel so bad for this holo Vulcan actress

Tuvak: "you must gently caress her now Tom Pairs!"

The blood fever has been purged

What a terrible episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

This is precisely the reaction that I had to the episode, down to the egregious misspellings. Voyager was loving wild.