Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I know Lost Judgment lets you beat up delinquent teenagers, but what's a video game where you can own annoyingly precocious 8-year olds? Those kids are the loving worst and nobody in our society gives them enough poo poo!

fridge corn posted:

Actually flag talk has reminded me of the time

*puts on Bust Rodd brand posting gloves*

I was dating this girl in high school and she had come from this big time navy family. Like her grandfather was some high ranking naval officer in ww2, her dad was some high ranking naval officer, both her older brothers were in the navy blah blah blah. Anyway first time I brought her round mine and took her to my room, I had at the time a big american flag pinned on the wall above my bed which I had hung upside-down. Over top of it I pinned the Soviet tank flag that my dad had brought back with him from his trip to st Petersburg in 1972, which was smaller than the american flag so it made for a nice effect. Anyway, the moment she saw the flag display she started crying and asked me to take it down

*takes off the Bust Rodd gloves*

I took her home

Bust Rodd posted:

… uuuh, how exactly do you think the US military behaves any differently, and why would the military of Seattle, WA make you think of the IDF before it makes you think of the US Army, the most destructive imperial force on Earth since the British East India Trading company?

Like were you playing the game and the whole time going “these Americans in American military gear in America behaving extremely Americanly are ACTUALLY the horrible warlike Israelis, which means the hooting tree people MUST be Palestinians!”

Because… uh… that maybe invites you to look at whether or not you’re confirming your own biases about Israel & Palestine without actually thinking about what the actual text of the game is and skipping straight to the (pretty much imaginary) subtext that you think Neil Druckman forced, either consciously or unconsciously, his personal views of Palestinians as hooting tree people and that was maintained throughout the game written and crafted by 300+ people.

I mean it’s possible that your interpretation is correct, it just seems like a truly incredible reach to think that’s what he’s doing, and you’re just presuming that he’s anti-Palestinian because he’s Israeli.

Bust Rodd posted:

*standing in the little league bleachers, embarrassing myself and my wife as I bleat encouragement like a goat while you round the posting bases* “THAT’S MY BOY! LET’S loving GOOOOO!”

:pusheen:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

old and busted thread is on FIRE today

I'm saving this for posterity :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Neal! posted:

I mean sure, you could try to isolate that and say "oh no that's just about Ellie" but I think that right there is the actual reach because after hearing that quote I just can't buy that's it's a simple coincidence that the WLF soldiers are the ones being lynched by the Scars or many of the other ways its been pointed out that each side is coded IDF and Hamas. I don't think every take on why it's coded that way is true, some people really are reaching but it's certainly not out of nowhere that people have come to the conclusion that if the Israel/Palestine conflict inspired one aspect of the game it probably inspired others.

You can draw real world parallels between the WLF and IDF etc. and I wouldn't say you are outright wrong, although I don't think it's as cut and dry as a 1:1 comparison. it might have served as inspiration. But it's kind of missing the point of the game. Which is about isolating people within these factions and humanizing them all despite their conflicting world views. The ideologies of the groups the characters align with are pretty inconsequential and are not portrayed as wholly good or bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

:pusheen:

I'm saving this for posterity :five:

Don't appropriate me. I agree with Bust Rodd!!! :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

drat dude, nice work! And I didnt even start refusing to stand for the pledge of allegiance until I was in 7th grade :patriot:

2nd grade :smugbert:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Even if the WLF and Seraphites are a direct I/P metaphor (which I don’t think they really are, but just for the sake of argument), the WLF aren’t exactly shown in a good light. They’re depicted as child killing torturers, like, extremely blatantly.

If anything the game’s narrative is extremely critical of what they do, even if you as the player are expected to slaughter the Seraphites by the dozen. (But that’s what you do to everyone, so no shock there.)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

the cherry on top is how Pregnant Dina wishing for a life of peace for her new baby and talking about how Jews had to survive the Holocaust and they’ve always been persecuted means that the game is clearly depicting Israel as being in the right.

holy poo poo lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I know Lost Judgment lets you beat up delinquent teenagers, but what's a video game where you can own annoyingly precocious 8-year olds? Those kids are the loving worst and nobody in our society gives them enough poo poo!

I believe Deus Ex: Invisible War was the last mainstream game to feature child NPCs that you could kill

After that it's all Fallout 3 Lamplighters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want to be clear that I am in no way advocating for the wholesale murder of children, only annoying little shits who played Gavroche in the touring cast of Les Mis once and think they’re some Broadway legend now. Shut the gently caress up Randy Stein nobody cares!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yakuza 0 and Kiwami let you dunk on small children in minigames, and there’s even substories about it!

You do have to enjoy horny bug lady wrestling to get the most out of it, but then again who doesn’t?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

mycot posted:

. I'll admit Abby's annoyed me more because I could not care about her million friends it is a very strange choice to characterize them after they're dead.

But that’s exactly why they do it. You killed them, you probably felt good about it or justified in doing it. Now you get to sit there and see they aren’t evil monsters or mini-hitlers, they were mostly decent people like anyone else.

TLOU2 is a good game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sammus posted:

But that’s exactly why they do it. You killed them, you probably felt good about it or justified in doing it. Now you get to sit there and see they aren’t evil monsters or mini-hitlers, they were mostly decent people like anyone else.

TLOU2 is a good game.

You’re not wrong but I’d bring Owen back from the dead just to kill him again. He sucks!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Does TLOU2 have: a needlessly complicated leveling system, a needlessly gigantic open world map, and/or a horde mode

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Does TLOU2 have: a needlessly complicated leveling system, a needlessly gigantic open world map, and/or a horde mode

nope, it’s a good game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
tlou2 is the best metal gear game since 3.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I may have given TLOU2 a try if I didn't have TLOU so much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

Sadly no, even though it controls so well that a team co-op Left 4 Dead mode would be amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dewgy posted:

You’re not wrong but I’d bring Owen back from the dead just to kill him again. He sucks!

Owen is pretty much the only person who manages to avoid bloodlust in the entire game. He's good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

still lolling at that vice poo poo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also no Factions

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Also no Factions

lol

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

exquisite tea posted:

Fallout 2

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
One thing I do appreciate about modern Naughty Dog games is giving you all the shitpost filters after you beat the game for catharsis.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sammus posted:

TLOU2 is a good game.

It took me a while to realize Manny is even one of the bad guys because he only shows up in the prologue and then later in Abby's story.

Also at least two of Abby's crew never get any sort of backstory so they definitely had to cut some corners in the plot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

It took me a while to realize Manny is even one of the bad guys because he only shows up in the prologue and then later in Abby's story.

Also at least two of Abby's crew never get any sort of backstory so they definitely had to cut some corners in the plot.

Manny shows up right at the beginning of Abby's section.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Trying Resident Evil 7 for the first time. Is this basically what P.T. became? It immediate reminded me of it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Just that small intro part. It's pretty much first person RE4 after that. P.T. was what Kojima was working on before Konami fired him, it was gonna be a Silent Hill game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Just that small intro part. It's pretty much first person RE4 after that. P.T. was what Kojima was working on before Konami fired him, it was gonna be a Silent Hill game.

Yeah, RE7 starts off feeling a bit like an Outlast kind of game riiiiight until the moment you get a gun and then it's full RE.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah most of the game is more actiony but it will periodically slow down for a quiet dread sequence and those can be very affecting

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It sorta gets back to the survival horror scary stuff in the DLC, specifically the Banned Footage packs.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Inspector Hound posted:

Trying Resident Evil 7 for the first time. Is this basically what P.T. became? It immediate reminded me of it.

To be specific, the demo and beginning was inspired by P.T. but it’s not what P.T. became, since it was made by Konami and RE is Capcom

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

My hero! :swoon:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

mycot posted:

One thing I do appreciate about modern Naughty Dog games is giving you all the shitpost filters after you beat the game for catharsis.

I loved cel-shaded mode in Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

around the same time my cubscouts den mother dissolved her entire chapter after having a massive and very public breakdown because we wanted to play Bionic Commando during meetings instead of fold flags.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

RE7 Trip Report: it was pretty fun, and really incredible looking. The best parts are the slow, scary segments, but that house is so cramped and there's so many hallways that combat can be pretty tense too. I ran into a couple puzzles that reminded me of classic Resident Evil ones, replacing clock pendulums and repairing statues. I liked when I solved a particularly bizarre one and my guy wondered aloud, "who builds this stuff?" It's definitely something I'd been wondering since the plugs and keys and pressure plates in the first two games. Never figured out what I'm supposed to stick into the statue in order to take out the shotgun. Pretty cool, and another one that makes me yearn for a new The Thing survival horror game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Half of the lore items in RE1 were about the building of the house and why it's so messed up

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

around the same time my cubscouts den mother dissolved her entire chapter after having a massive and very public breakdown because we wanted to play Bionic Commando during meetings instead of fold flags.

The "public" part has me incredibly curious for more details, if you feel comfortable sharing. This was pre-social media, so I'm just imagining a lady screaming her lungs out in the town square or something, aha.

Picking up I Am Dead in the sale, if anyone's interested in opinions later. It's by some of the same folks that did Hohokum, I loved that little game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

The "public" part has me incredibly curious for more details, if you feel comfortable sharing. This was pre-social media, so I'm just imagining a lady screaming her lungs out in the town square or something, aha.

not so dramatic mostly just in front of like 10-15 kids and neighbors and poo poo, she was definitely screaming at one point but she had a mental breakdown right in front of us over our lack of patriotism in the presence of a sick rear end capcom game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

not so dramatic mostly just in front of like 10-15 kids and neighbors and poo poo, she was definitely screaming at one point but she had a mental breakdown right in front of us over our lack of patriotism in the presence of a sick rear end capcom game.

Cringe