Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh, I've just remembered a set I do like, actually. Look up a two-parter called Orguss 02.

Some good characters and a neat setting. Also, it's a spin-off of Macross and the events that happen in that series. Though really that's just a neat little thing that factors in little.

It's a six parter, which is why I didn't bring it up, but yeah. It's good. Kinda weak mech fights, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I've never seen the full six parter, only the condensed two parter that they released.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

All great recs people! Thanks a ton!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was flipping through a list of Alternate History shows and I saw one called Konpeki No Kantai, Blue Water Fleet. Apparently it's about Admiral Yamamoto falling through a time portal after his plane was shot down and he gets to redo the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, take over the USA and then save Europe from Hitler with superior Japanese technology.

Is the series actually as nakedly pro imperialist as that premise suggests?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk but if you find subs for the last third give me a heads up

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I was flipping through a list of Alternate History shows and I saw one called Konpeki No Kantai, Blue Water Fleet. Apparently it's about Admiral Yamamoto falling through a time portal after his plane was shot down and he gets to redo the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, take over the USA and then save Europe from Hitler with superior Japanese technology.

Is the series actually as nakedly pro imperialist as that premise suggests?

"What if we won WWII" is certainly a take. :yikes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They'll print anything these days. Or back then, in this case.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seems mundane compared to Sei Michaela Gakuen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dogsicle posted:

seems mundane compared to Sei Michaela Gakuen

The synopsis seems a little brief for this one. Is it about a soldier reborn as a girl fighting in the Holy Crusade crusades or just a general crusade? Either way unless there's some real batshit crazy stuff in there that seems more funny than yikes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The synopsis seems a little brief for this one. Is it about a soldier reborn as a girl fighting in the Holy Crusade crusades or just a general crusade? Either way unless there's some real batshit crazy stuff in there that seems more funny than yikes.

https://collectr.blogspot.com/2014/07/sei-michaela-gakuen-hyouryuuki.html?m=1

it is funny, there's just way more weird time poo poo going on than most of the alt history stuff i've come across

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't get what the big deal is, feels like the usual hyperfocus on Japan revanchism because they're a client state of the US than being genuinely appalled at imperialism. Stuff like this is the entirety of the US alt history fiction market!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't get what the big deal is, feels like the usual hyperfocus on Japan revanchism because they're a client state of the US than being genuinely appalled at imperialism. Stuff like this is the entirety of the US alt history fiction market!

it probably depends on whether the aggressors are depicted as evil or not - like, most 'germans won ww2!' stuff is written as 'the germans are obviously bad and people are suffering'

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I was thinking more pro confederate stuff, should have specified

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

The US alt history fiction market is completely overrun by nazis and imperialism fetishists who see Starship Troopers as an ideal to live up to, so I'm not sure you're contradicting my point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dogsicle posted:

https://collectr.blogspot.com/2014/07/sei-michaela-gakuen-hyouryuuki.html?m=1

it is funny, there's just way more weird time poo poo going on than most of the alt history stuff i've come across

Oh wait a minute, the English title Sins of the Sisters sounds way more familiar. I have seen this, the first episode was loving crazy and then the second one was just kind of boring right? Like a fully grown Demon man ripping his way out of a woman's womb levels of crazy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

All us fiction is blatant imperialist propaganda, take a seat americant’s

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i will not

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

KillHour posted:

The US alt history fiction market is completely overrun by nazis and imperialism fetishists who see Starship Troopers as an ideal to live up to, so I'm not sure you're contradicting my point.

I just don't know why the op mentioned it at all other than to do some virtue signaling, from the way their post was written its obvious they didn't intend to genuinely watch it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Apologies because its part of the derail, but wanted to mention one alt-fiction author, Harry Turtledove, who wrote 'Guns of the South' basically detailing white nationalists with a time machine helping the CSA out in the US Civil War.

Turns out Turtledove is a pretty woke old dude and his twitter is a great follow because its just always occasional white supremacists / chuds etc that followed him thinking he was a kindred spirit and he just mercilessly dunks on them. It's nice to see and he seems like a genuinely good dude.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GorfZaplen posted:

I just don't know why the op mentioned it at all other than to do some virtue signaling, from the way their post was written its obvious they didn't intend to genuinely watch it.

You're right that I probably won't watch it. I just have a certain fascination with the kind of dreck that got OVA releases in the late 80s and 90s. So yeah, this is me gawking a bit at what looks like a nationalist screed about how they totally could have won the war if all those weak politicians and opponents in the army just got out of the Navy's way. I've watched some really hateful schlock in the past, I'm wondering if this one goes off the rails or if it's got any crazy leaps or if it's a more banal and boring alt-history story. Boring and hateful isn't worth a watch. Insane and hateful can be worth it to laugh.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 7, 2021

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I haven't really kept up with anime in recent years but I've been getting back in with Sonny Boy and its an amazing show and sort of reignited my interest in Anime as a whole. Ive got Odd Taxi next on my watchlist and was looking for some other must watch anime within the last 3 years or so. Is there any must watch stuff I should check out, I'm pretty open for any genre

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Terminal autist posted:

I haven't really kept up with anime in recent years but I've been getting back in with Sonny Boy and its an amazing show and sort of reignited my interest in Anime as a whole. Ive got Odd Taxi next on my watchlist and was looking for some other must watch anime within the last 3 years or so. Is there any must watch stuff I should check out, I'm pretty open for any genre

Akudama Drive

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Terminal autist posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chas McGill posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Has a chill OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-91y7BJ8QA

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

Mob Psycho 100 - both seasons

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mob Psycho 100 - both seasons

Was gonna rec the same

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Terminal autist posted:

Kaguya: Love is War has been a wide hit these past couple years, it's got two twelve-episode seasons out now.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Terminal autist posted:

Everything recommended so far plus Yuru Camp (aka Laid-Back Camp).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Terminal autist posted:

Boogiepop and Others

actually was a polarizing show at the time, but if you liked Sonny Boy i think it's worth going back to check out. it's not working with the otherworldly bright palettes of Sonny Boy, but does keep the grounded feel to character designs and movement, and the final arc does have some alternate dimension stuff that wouldn't be out of place in Sonny Boy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Boogiepop and Others

actually was a polarizing show at the time, but if you liked Sonny Boy i think it's worth going back to check out. it's not working with the otherworldly bright palettes of Sonny Boy, but does keep the grounded feel to character designs and movement, and the final arc does have some alternate dimension stuff that wouldn't be out of place in Sonny Boy.

I think it has the same director as well?

I mean, I ditched after four episodes because the structure was awkward and the character designs were too bland to keep track of things, especially with a cast that big, and what I saw from novel readers said that it ditched a lot of the heart, but it might be worth a look for Sonny Boy fans.

For an outside pick, maybe Wave: Listen to Me? It's about a woman who, after a bad breakup, accidentally gets a late night radio show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terminal autist posted:

March comes in like a lion

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

On-Gaku: Our Sound is easily one of the best anime of the past few years.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Terminal autist posted:

All the recs for you so far should be what you start with. But when you get through them and want some of the great but not season defining shows Id recommend Welcome to Demon School, SK8, Jujutsu Kaisen

B tier for after that would be Uzaki-chan, Re:Zero, and Demon Slayer.
* edit: Also watch My Roommate is a Cat. Its cute and fun but also doesnt shy from topics like depression and feeling lost and handles it very well.

As for me, Im looking for recs for dark comedy. Only thing I try to avoid is death game stuff so as long as it doesnt fit into that category anything else goes.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 15, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

As for me, Im looking for recs for dark comedy. Only thing I try to avoid is death game stuff so as long as it doesnt fit into that category anything else goes.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle might suit you; It's a lot of fun in general, has a great dub, and you will only feel sorry for the demons that kidnapped Sya after a few episodes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Already watched that one. Binged it towards the end of the season it aired, thought it was good fun.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Furnaceface posted:

All the recs for you so far should be what you start with. But when you get through them and want some of the great but not season defining shows Id recommend Welcome to Demon School, SK8, Jujutsu Kaisen

B tier for after that would be Uzaki-chan, Re:Zero, and Demon Slayer.
* edit: Also watch My Roommate is a Cat. Its cute and fun but also doesnt shy from topics like depression and feeling lost and handles it very well.

I despised re:Zero but I absolutely would recommend My Roommate is a Cat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings is wholesome af and definitely worth a watch. Highly recommended.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

What about Uramichi Oniisan from last season?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

If you wanna see school girls being horrible jerks, I'd recommend Asobi Asobase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

If you wanna see school girls being horrible jerks, I'd recommend Asobi Asobase.

If you want to see them tend bar instead, Hinamatsuri.

(Manga's better and more complete, but the anime is still pretty funny.)