Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

stev posted:

gently caress yeah, I hit 100% items in only 11:47:20. I guess the reason I never came close in any other Metroidvania is because none of them have Dread's incredibly useful map.

Guess I better finish the game now.

The Map is one thing Dread got almost absolutely right. It iterates on the previous maps perfectly. I love seeing the terrain when I zoom in, and the flashing rooms when something is undiscovered is great too. The icons could use some work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm a little surprised people like the map so much, because I thought it was... okay, some parts were good, but some parts were just terrible. The way it paints individual tiles rather than something chunkier drives me insane and it makes it really hard to look at. The map is just incredibly busy overall, with overlapping lines and shaded blocks everywhere. I like that they let you filter icons because they know you want to go vacuum up powerups you didn't pick up the first time around - but why do you have to zoom around and find one of the (dimly lit, semitransparent) icons of that kind you already found once in order to do it? Why can't I just select "power bomb" from a menu or something and have them all light up? Why are all the icons I already have on the map by default, and why can't I toggle them off?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

FooF posted:

My thoughts on the ending is a little different than the consensus I've been reading here. On my second playthrough, when Quiet Robe reactivates the EMMIs, he says something to the effect of "I'm counting on you." At first, I thought he was referring to the EMMI: as in, he was counting on the EMMI to get Samus' DNA because now he's fully under Raven Beak's control. Upon reflection, he's talking about Samus. I think Quiet Robe knew Raven Beak's plan of jump-starting Samus' Metroid metamorphosis and the only way to get her to fully mature is continue to challenge her to the point of breakthrough. The EMMIs still posed a challenge and would help her achieve that end state. Also, even though QR was reanimated by the X, I don't think at any point he was ever controlled. The Thoha genes or whatever granted him immunity to the X, just as they had control over Metroids. Thus, the ending makes sense: QR is still his honorable self and sees that by sacrificing himself, he can save Samus. It has little to do with what the X wants or how the SA-X treated Samus in Fusion: QR never lost control. If anything, he was prescient enough to realize that if Samus achieved Metroid-status, she'd murder Raven Beak and need to come back to the ship (which she'd destroy if she touched it). I think QR was just a few steps ahead the whole time, even going so far as to *expect* to be infected by the X

Personally the way I saw it isn't so much that Quiet Robe can control the X; the Thoha tribe wouldn't have made the Metroids otherwise if their tribe could control the X too even on assimilation, but more that we probably misunderstood the X from the beginning. For the most part, the only sapient beings we saw the X mimic in Fusion was Samus, and she's on her galactic warrior Doomguy energy 90% of the time anyway, and a random scientist whom we now know worked for a super fringe Federation group and might have been pretty sus himself. Arguably Ridley is sentient and mostly prefers to be a screeching space dragon most of the time even if he can be sapient, but after Other M... we know this was a clone who was just feral and lacked any kind of training or education in anything. Outside of that, the X are only taking over already belligerent and territorial creatures and sometimes organic components of robots.

In Dread, the X that seemingly took the corpse of Kraid and that experiment monster got Raven Beak and seems like a feral abomination from the start even before you add all of Raven Beak's baggage. With Quiet Robe though? A small X got him and maybe the memories and benevolent personality of the host can have a tremendous effect on how the X version turns out. Even QR-X was still doing QR's mannerisms and everything, and goes out of its way to ensure that the single biggest threat to its existence survives. I don't think QR was necessarily in control, but I don't think he was a puppet; this was probably the ideal symbiotic relationship that we'll ever see between a host and an X.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Just cleared the final boss, the 3rd phase was an arse, but it was a really fun ending sequence and game overall

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I wonder if this is why there is such a massive, clunky story dump in the middle of the game. Maybe they planned to sprinkle major plot beats throughout the game but were forced to cut down on that stuff once Nintendo started putting pressure on the project.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

The big question is, why did QR-X unhack the EMMIes?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JordanKai posted:

I wonder if this is why there is such a massive, clunky story dump in the middle of the game. Maybe they planned to sprinkle major plot beats throughout the game but were forced to cut down on that stuff once Nintendo started putting pressure on the project.

Isn't that the cutscene with the unfinished-looking effect on Samus' armor? If so that makes sense.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MechaX posted:

I don't think QR was necessarily in control, but I don't think he was a puppet; this was probably the ideal symbiotic relationship that we'll ever see between a host and an X.
the only awkward part of this theory is that the x killed itself. like we know from fusion that samus absorbs the x by her ~metroid genes~ gobbling up the x like delicious forbidden fruit gummy, so unless they are gonna write some new explanation for it somehow "living on" within samus that x just straight up sacrificed itself

stev posted:

Isn't that the cutscene with the unfinished-looking effect on Samus' armor? If so that makes sense.
what does that mean?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked the SA-X AND the no armor Space Pirate section from Zero Mission better than Dreads stealth. Probably because I immediately played those sections in Dread like the other ones where I always just ran full speed, AND they give you invisibility on top of everything to help you if you screw up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
My first sub-4 in a Metroid game (41% items):

I'm quite proud of it. GOD this game is good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Darko posted:

I liked the SA-X AND the no armor Space Pirate section from Zero Mission better than Dreads stealth. Probably because I immediately played those sections in Dread like the other ones where I always just ran full speed, AND they give you invisibility on top of everything to help you if you screw up.

I forgot about no armor that’s the best version actually

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
QR-X's line about "counting on you" is meant to be interpreted originally as it talking to the EMMI but after the revelation that ADAM has been Bird Brain all this time making you go back and analyze his dialogue you are meant to go back to that line and definitely interpret it as QR-X talking to Samus. And the reason why Quiet Robe was able to maintain control after being eaten by an X is because it's space bird space magic and they ain't gotta explain poo poo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

QR-X's line about "counting on you" is meant to be interpreted originally as it talking to the EMMI but after the revelation that ADAM has been Bird Brain all this time making you go back and analyze his dialogue you are meant to go back to that line and definitely interpret it as QR-X talking to Samus. And the reason why Quiet Robe was able to maintain control after being eaten by an X is because it's space bird space magic and they ain't gotta explain poo poo

personally, even tho we only knew him for a minute of cutscene i'm fond of the interpretation that quiet robe is just that cool and chill. that's the whole explanation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

QR-X is repeating himself over and over while clicking the EMMIs on button, I think the implication is just that the X was repeating its host's last actions.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

JordanKai posted:

I also wonder if this is the reason for the sheer miniboss repeats later on.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Beat my first run under 8 hours with 100% and the game owns bones. I was lukewarm on Samus Returns, but they fixed a lot of its issues in Dread which is great. The game play is so smooth and fluid that I almost wish there were more shinespark challenges. Almost.

My biggest complaints are that bosses do too much damage for normal mode, and the last two EMMI sequences are bullshit. Also the soundtrack is unmemorable for a Metroid game.

I would give Dread a 10 out of 10. But Nintendo proved themselves to be cowards when they didn't show Raven Beak in his own Zero Suit. So sadly i must rate it -420/10 instead.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DemoneeHo posted:

My biggest complaints are that bosses do too much damage for normal mode

The final boss really made me realize this. I had a few times where literally no damage would be on screen, and I'd just die. And I couldn't figure it out until I realized it just took that long for it to count down so much damage. I appreciate the idea, but if I can't do something about it, it's just annoying.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Should I use the missiles or the charge beam to kill trash enemies? Also, does the wide bean do extra damage? Like, if all three projectiles hit does it do 3x damage?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hrist posted:

The final boss really made me realize this. I had a few times where literally no damage would be on screen, and I'd just die. And I couldn't figure it out until I realized it just took that long for it to count down so much damage. I appreciate the idea, but if I can't do something about it, it's just annoying.

I mean nothing that the final boss does is undodgeable, so you can do something about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you absolutely can do something about it or the fight would be unwinnable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The final boss seemed to do a lot less damage than the other bosses tbh, probably because of the length of the fight. Though any time I got bounced off the wall with his melee combo because I hosed an air dodge really hosed me up

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Really enjoying the game in spite of puzzling developer choices. The controls layout is hella awkward, and remembering in the middle of a boss battle how to properly fire the storm missiles. Holding down three buttons while aiming and dodging and also remembering to release X first, NOT R, because then you'll just shoot your beam instead!

The game itself has zero accessibility options. It's missing basic poo poo like colorblind mode or even subtitles for ambient speech. I'd understand if this was some indie dev, but given that it's one of the biggest titles of the year for a bestselling console. It reminds me of how lovely a company Nintendo is when it comes to accessibility, BoTW had this issue as well.

LifeLynx posted:

I really want a pro controller for this game, but since I don't do much Switch gaming, it seems like a waste to spend an extra $50 to make the controls on a ~10 hour game less frustrating.

Pro controller doesn't really fix it, the controls are just overly complicated.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
What is so complicated about holding down a shoulder button and pressing y?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Why would the game need subtitles for ambient speech when there is none? There are like four speaking characters and only one of them speaks English (or whatever your language is set to) and only in cutscenes.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

When you save at an ADAM save point there's a voice saying 'uploading data' (or something along those lines).

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The final boss seemed to do a lot less damage than the other bosses tbh, probably because of the length of the fight. Though any time I got bounced off the wall with his melee combo because I hosed an air dodge really hosed me up

I feel like his induvidual attacks don't deal that much damage by themselves, but it's also very much possible for him to combo you like 3-4 times in a row and after that you will be hurting badly.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Damage on Normal isn't too awful but Hard is a different matter. I died to regular enemies more than once, as some of the later-game enemies were hitting for 200+ per attack. The only boss I struggled with on Hard was the flying electric beetle-thing. I still don't know how to avoid those homing attacks and on Hard, they hit like a truck. I cheesed it by Shinesparking it at the get-go but only barely beat it even then. Everything else I pretty much breezed through I even managed to land a Shinespark on Z-57, with 19 health left

Strangely enough the final boss only took two attempts. I find that his attacks are telegraphed well enough and the actual damage they do is much less than some other bosses. Plus, if you do it right, you're getting health/ammo off of him all the time. Again, hard but fair.

My Hard time completion was 5:07 with something like 43% items. Relative to my Normal clear (91%), I still didn't feel like I was lacking missiles or enough Energy Tanks. The game puts enough items on the "main path" that exploration is just gravy on top.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely have no idea how people play other games if Dread has too complex controls. Like I xan understand accessiblity but people act like pressing two buttons is the greatest challenge for all time and not a literal basic part of gaming

Like have you ever played a FPS? A Mega Man game? God forbid yoy discuss something like a fighting game, Monster Hunter, MMO or character action game.

Like at the absolute most you need to press two shoulder buttons and a face button and that forces you to stand still while doing it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 16, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

lol, you might as well turn in your antifa av at this point dude

not all people have full use of both of their hands

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think that people aren't used to first-party, big-release Nintendo games with this level of mechanical demand (which is distinct, IMO, from difficulty).

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
My pro controller would not register shoulder + button presses sometimes and pointing up meant samus would walk either left or right.

Too bad I realized this at the end of the game. Swapped over to an Dual Sense and had no problems since.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I've beaten plenty of hard games, and one thing I do appreciate that Dread has generous checkpoints. But a high budget first party release not to have full control config etc should be unacceptable at this point. It's like they saw everything that games have done in the past ten years and said... 'nah'.

Like some platinum games are pretty challenging, but they do come with easier difficulties. Souls games are hard, but they're not heavily reflex based and you can change your build/loadout to improve your chances against certain bosses.

In Dread, you're gonna play flappy bird, whether you like it or not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I cleared 100% normal mode pretty easy. This game loving owns bones. Started playing hard mode, but am definitely less committed to it. Once you figured out each boss fight it wasn't too hard to roll through with minimal damage taken.

I enjoyed the plot of this game, and I look forward to our next Samus story.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DoctorWhat posted:

I think that people aren't used to first-party, big-release Nintendo games with this level of mechanical demand (which is distinct, IMO, from difficulty).

Some of the items definitely take some skill to get to. I'm sure I didn't do everything in the optimal way, but I will say that it took genuine effort and a lot of repeating tasks to get some of the items.

One of the last items I got required building a speedboost in the minimal amount of area to boost, running with the booster charge through a door, slide through a blaster block, point down and blast through some more blaster blocks while falling, set off the speedboost midair, hit a sloped ledge running, lock down the boost, slide through another gap, drop down and boost midair again into a ramp, immediately hit down, drop down a ledge, and then boost again. I think it's a missile + tank.

It was the most ridiculous set of things to do, but I eventually got it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
IMO it's just really weird that free-aim is L+left stick when the right stick is right there and doesn't even have anything mapped to it. Missiles being a toggle would've been nice, too, particularly considering that the beam is basically worthless as a damage option.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would have liked being able to use the d-pad for movement, the amount of times I accidentally came out of morph ball during shinespark maneuvers was infuriating

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 16, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t even think the games controls are very complex. If you want them to be changeable fine but that’s a different thing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some of the items definitely take some skill to get to. I'm sure I didn't do everything in the optimal way, but I will say that it took genuine effort and a lot of repeating tasks to get some of the items.

One of the last items I got required building a speedboost in the minimal amount of area to boost, running with the booster charge through a door, slide through a blaster block, point down and blast through some more blaster blocks while falling, set off the speedboost midair, hit a sloped ledge running, lock down the boost, slide through another gap, drop down and boost midair again into a ramp, immediately hit down, drop down a ledge, and then boost again. I think it's a missile + tank.

It was the most ridiculous set of things to do, but I eventually got it.

That's the last item I got and it took me loving ages. Nailing every element of the sequence in one go is a real challenge.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I probably would have traded the entire counter mechanic for a dedicated missile button. Not that countering itself was bad per se, but I never found it particularly fun either in this or Samus Returns tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bio347 posted:

IMO it's just really weird that free-aim is L+left stick when the right stick is right there and doesn't even have anything mapped to it. Missiles being a toggle would've been nice, too, particularly considering that the beam is basically worthless as a damage option.

Fire is Y so you need your right thumb free for that.