Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Played 2 rounds of Paint the Roses. Absolute cracker of a game, 100% an easy back.
Please go check this one out.

Got into an argument about valid clue placement. Player had a Hard Difficulty card. Which can be Shape to Shape, Colour to Colour, or Colour to Shape.
They put down 4 clues, and we had a 10min+ discussion about how this couldn't be valid, as we could only see 3 combinations.

Turns out they were 100% correct and we hadn't considered both sides of Colour to Shape AND Shape to Colour :v:
Wish I took a screenshot to show the example.

What a great game. I could easily see myself being able to play with anyone from newbie gamers to strategists and still enjoying the time.

Didn't reach FULLY FUNDED IN 0.1 ATO SECONDS/4,000,000% FUNDED which they were hoping for, which is gonna be my guess.

The cars did look super bland though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

While we're at the top of the page.

I missed Bardwood Grove in my round-up the other day.
Tableau builder/deck builder where you're creating a tune, and you're trying to maximise the points you have before the tempo gets too quick and you HAVE to sing it.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Just wanted to say I appreciate the roundups.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mouzer posted:

Big same, Infinitum and Nazzadan in the metal thread are doing the lord's good work.

Seems like Paint the Roses goes to the same niche as a Hanabi?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

While we're at the top of the page.

I missed Bardwood Grove in my round-up the other day.
Tableau builder/deck builder where you're creating a tune, and you're trying to maximise the points you have before the tempo gets too quick and you HAVE to sing it.

This is by the same folks that made Merchant's Cove, which is a neat but simple asymmetric game where you are trying to score victory points by filling orders, but each player has their own minigame. So, one player might be doing basically a roll and write, one player is doing simple Bejeweled, one player is playing a dice game, one player is doing tile matching. It's neat if you have people with a lot of varied tastes and you want to rope them all into one game. There's also a little bit of worker placement which allows for player interaction. My understanding is that you can also play the bards from this new game in Merchant's Cove as a crossover.

I backed Merchant's Cove and like it quite a bit, although it seems like they're still having all sorts of fulfillment issues to certain countries. I'll probably end up backing this one.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 14, 2021

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

Mouzer posted:

For reals, you are doing my shelfs a great service. My wallet can't handle it, but so many great things would fly past without the help of the ending soon roundups you share.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mouzer posted:

Deathlove posted:

Big same, Infinitum and Nazzadan in the metal thread are doing the lord's good work.

PurplPenisEata posted:

For reals, you are doing my shelfs a great service. My wallet can't handle it, but so many great things would fly past without the help of the ending soon roundups you share.

:tipshat:

I am def linking stuff that I personally find interesting, or the threads, but I'm also only going to link board games that are either going to be
A.) Great
B.) Interesting to someone
C.) Unique.

It's good to know people are getting some use out of it though.

Deathlove posted:

Seems like Paint the Roses goes to the same niche as a Hanabi?

It's 100% filling that same 'limited communication' niche that Hanabi does.
Except it's even better than that! As rather than the other players telling YOU things about YOUR cards, you have to place tiles for others to infer your INTENT.
You can talk about any body elses clues BUT your own, so once you place that tile down you can't talk about it - and everybody else to has to scratch their heads as to why.
Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it's very very hard.

It's absolutely fantastic.

There were a couple of occasions where the tiles available for the current player to lay down didn't match the card in their hand, but by strategically placing the tile down they could help the rest of the table to deduce earlier clues we couldn't solve.
It's less of Hanabi's "This is a good card, this is a bad card" stuff, and more ACTUAL deducing a solution from the limited information on the board.

And it's great! The whole table is talking and everybody is involved with figuring out "Why the hell did they place it here? This was a much better spot!" Even as the current player, when all you can do is sit there and be silent, just hearing all the other players talking about what solution MIGHT be, hearing someone say the RIGHT solution and then talk themselves out of it is so much fun from how frustrated it makes you as you scream internally.

Even better you can't just take the Easy or Medium cards all the time, as the Queen is constantly speeding up to catch you, so you have to go for those Hard cards a lot.
Guess right and she moves her current speed.
Guess wrong and she moves DOUBLE her current speed.
Super easy when she's only moving 1 space at a time at the beginning, INSANELY deadly once she's moving 4-5 spaces at a time.

Like I will 100% back a game like Verdant, from the same crew as Calico, and go "Yup, this is going to be a solid game at a stellar price. Can't wait."
or I'll back and recommend something like Beast as I think it's unique, the artwork is gorgeous, I'm a massive hidden movement + 1 vs many nerd, and I know it's something that has potential to be really special.
I think Paint the Roses is one of those games that I could play with any age group and any skill level, and still have a blast - I'm not trying to be wanky about it, but I feel it's a game that belongs in everyones collection.

I'm coming to recognise that I won't gush about something this much unless I really enjoy it and want others to back, and I am totally gushing about how good Paint the Roses is right now.
:siren: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northstargames/paint-the-roses-a-cooperative-puzzle-game-in-wonderland :siren:

Get a crew together and play the base game on TTS/Tabletopia, you won't regret it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'm dropping down to single deck from deluxe (one deck galaxy) or $1,ive spent too much lately on board games and need to dial it back. I wasn't terribly thrilled with the digital game so I feel like I'd be dropping a hundred including shipping to get something I could play with a few coworkers on a lark.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I'm dropping down to single deck from deluxe (one deck galaxy) or $1,ive spent too much lately on board games and need to dial it back. I wasn't terribly thrilled with the digital game so I feel like I'd be dropping a hundred including shipping to get something I could play with a few coworkers on a lark.
The deluxe upgrade ($20 for plastic cards and foil embossed tokens) seems worthless to me, especially when the base game is only $25.
I'd say stick with the cheap tier.

I'm surprised they're not offering a playmat this time, though.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Backed Psychic Pizza Deliverers thanks to the thread, so kudos for that! It looks fun and quirky.
I absolutely hate the artstyle they have for Paint The Roses and the shipping costs to EU are insane, so that's sadly a pass.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

High Tension Wire posted:

I absolutely hate the artstyle they have for Paint The Roses and the shipping costs to EU are insane, so that's sadly a pass.

I don't know how easy it is to buy where you are, but you might want to check out Shipwreck Arcana. It has the same idea of placing things to try to get other players to infer what you're holding. It's also pretty small so hopefully shipping charges wouldn't be bad.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like One Deck Dungeon quite a bit and I even just backed ODG at the basic level. It's not really a game that needs extra bling, and I don't think I've ever played ODD with more than one other person.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I figured I'd get both because I have a gaming group that meets once a month or so

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Sefer posted:

I don't know how easy it is to buy where you are, but you might want to check out Shipwreck Arcana. It has the same idea of placing things to try to get other players to infer what you're holding. It's also pretty small so hopefully shipping charges wouldn't be bad.

Looks really interesting! Sadly the company only ships the games internationally (from US that is) periodically. Looks like they have been available mainly through and during KS-campaigns.

The Psychic Pizza Deliverers shipping was only 9€ 'cause they ship from Germany. Even with VAT I think it is still a reasonable prize overall for the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I feel bad for all the Europeans having to deal with this new VAT nonsense on top of global shipping price hikes.

Absolute double whammy for a lot of smaller games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Infinitum posted:

:tipshat:

I am def linking stuff that I personally find interesting, or the threads, but I'm also only going to link board games that are either going to be
A.) Great
B.) Interesting to someone
C.) Unique.

It's good to know people are getting some use out of it though.

It's 100% filling that same 'limited communication' niche that Hanabi does.
Except it's even better than that! As rather than the other players telling YOU things about YOUR cards, you have to place tiles for others to infer your INTENT.
You can talk about any body elses clues BUT your own, so once you place that tile down you can't talk about it - and everybody else to has to scratch their heads as to why.
Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it's very very hard.

It's absolutely fantastic.

There were a couple of occasions where the tiles available for the current player to lay down didn't match the card in their hand, but by strategically placing the tile down they could help the rest of the table to deduce earlier clues we couldn't solve.
It's less of Hanabi's "This is a good card, this is a bad card" stuff, and more ACTUAL deducing a solution from the limited information on the board.

And it's great! The whole table is talking and everybody is involved with figuring out "Why the hell did they place it here? This was a much better spot!" Even as the current player, when all you can do is sit there and be silent, just hearing all the other players talking about what solution MIGHT be, hearing someone say the RIGHT solution and then talk themselves out of it is so much fun from how frustrated it makes you as you scream internally.

Even better you can't just take the Easy or Medium cards all the time, as the Queen is constantly speeding up to catch you, so you have to go for those Hard cards a lot.
Guess right and she moves her current speed.
Guess wrong and she moves DOUBLE her current speed.
Super easy when she's only moving 1 space at a time at the beginning, INSANELY deadly once she's moving 4-5 spaces at a time.

Like I will 100% back a game like Verdant, from the same crew as Calico, and go "Yup, this is going to be a solid game at a stellar price. Can't wait."
or I'll back and recommend something like Beast as I think it's unique, the artwork is gorgeous, I'm a massive hidden movement + 1 vs many nerd, and I know it's something that has potential to be really special.
I think Paint the Roses is one of those games that I could play with any age group and any skill level, and still have a blast - I'm not trying to be wanky about it, but I feel it's a game that belongs in everyones collection.

I'm coming to recognise that I won't gush about something this much unless I really enjoy it and want others to back, and I am totally gushing about how good Paint the Roses is right now.
:siren: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northstargames/paint-the-roses-a-cooperative-puzzle-game-in-wonderland :siren:

Get a crew together and play the base game on TTS/Tabletopia, you won't regret it.

I'm reading through the rules and page and I'm having trouble figuring out the flow.

Can you describe, I dunno, a couple turns?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

The deluxe upgrade ($20 for plastic cards and foil embossed tokens) seems worthless to me, especially when the base game is only $25.
I'd say stick with the cheap tier.

I'm surprised they're not offering a playmat this time, though.

Should be fairly easy to sleeve up the cards anyway yeah?

Think I'll go in for base level on it. Shipping and vat suuuuck

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 14, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Any thoughts on hero.exe? It looks a little cheesecakey but a bit of a battle network based game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroexegame/heroexe

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Any thoughts on hero.exe? It looks a little cheesecakey but a bit of a battle network based game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroexegame/heroexe

Not really a TG but I've been hankering for a MMBN game for a long time now.

Not a fan of the art but :20bux: is fine, if they can deliver.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Any idea how much of the art is in the base game? Words cannot describe how much I hate the character art.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Curiosity: a cat-themed cooperative deckbuilding game

Looks cute. Also claims to be eco friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNz3kT7w1Q

quote:

Curiosity is a cat-themed cooperative deck building campaign. In this game, players will work together to escape the Catacombs, defeat Guardians, unlock powerful new Classes, and prevent the impending Cataclysm before it's too late! Players will build their decks that they will keep for the entire campaign.

The more you play the game, the more content is unlocked.

Rulebook
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13UScO4HOekGS-fyUOHMIQjE8pJVWvXhM/view

Sounds like a simple enough deckbuilder but I like the idea of a coop deckbuilding game where you're unlocking more content as you go through. My only major concern is that their stretch goals include a couple other gameplay modes and the kickstarter hasn't hit its goal yet so I don't know if they'll raise enough for those specific new modes to be unlocked or if they'll cancel it if they don't continuously bring in cash. Another concern I have is wondering how difficult it will be to keep stuff properly sorted between campaign and arcade modes. Since arcade lets you use anything you've unlocked but campaign has you using whatever you started game 1 with, I'm wondering whether it'll just expect the player to jot down every card they had in their deck or if there will be some easier way of keeping track of the stuff you used for the campaign, stuff received through campaign progression, and stuff the players use to play arcade mode.

Some preview videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irx7z8IkX3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPp-3AddXqg

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Flamecraft has opened up to late pledges and I'm tempted to bail on the Tea for 2 Kickstarter and put the money into that instead. Have any goons managed to play it in some way shape or form?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Too Many Bones is one of the few KS'es I've seen where you can "all-in" at this point for four figures ($1,100). That's mind-boggling, especially since I'm just not sure the game content is what you would expect for that kind of money.

That said, I am studiously avoiding playthroughs of the game for a month to avoid temptation.

Flamecraft opinions, otoh, are also something I'd like.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Memnaelar posted:

Too Many Bones is one of the few KS'es I've seen where you can "all-in" at this point for four figures ($1,100). That's mind-boggling, especially since I'm just not sure the game content is what you would expect for that kind of money.

That said, I am studiously avoiding playthroughs of the game for a month to avoid temptation.

Flamecraft opinions, otoh, are also something I'd like.

The real all-in is the $675 one, that has all the content. That Ultimate Completitionist one has the trove chest storage and all the extra deluxe playmats and dice towers and promos and literally everything they've ever released for TMB. (edit) Their first update even says: "Note that many have *asked* for this pledge, but we do not expect (or even want!) many folks to go in on this. Trust us when we say that particularly if this is your first foray into Daelore, the Just Enough Bones tier and below will have plenty of gameplay to keep you busy for a long, long time."

Really, for anyone just getting into it, I'd say you could just grab Unbreakable as a standalone for $85, or buy the base set for $130, and see if you like it and then pick up extra gearlocks and stuff if you feel like you want more. And I say that as someone who has pretty much all of it except for some of the promo sets. There's no real FOMO on this stuff, it's usually all purchasable directly from them on their website (right now there's like, one gearlock that unavailable), so the only reason to go all-in is if absolutely you know you want everything and you want to get the bundle discount.

Of course, I say this as I punch in my $220 for all the new stuff because I'm an idiot

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 19, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

StarkRavingMad posted:

The real all-in is the $675 one, that has all the content. That Ultimate Completitionist one has the trove chest storage and all the extra deluxe playmats and dice towers and promos and literally everything they've ever released for TMB. (edit) Their first update even says: "Note that many have *asked* for this pledge, but we do not expect (or even want!) many folks to go in on this. Trust us when we say that particularly if this is your first foray into Daelore, the Just Enough Bones tier and below will have plenty of gameplay to keep you busy for a long, long time."

Really, for anyone just getting into it, I'd say you could just grab Unbreakable as a standalone for $85, or buy the base set for $130, and see if you like it and then pick up extra gearlocks and stuff if you feel like you want more. And I say that as someone who has pretty much all of it except for some of the promo sets. There's no real FOMO on this stuff, it's usually all purchasable directly from them on their website (right now there's like, one gearlock that unavailable), so the only reason to go all-in is if absolutely you know you want everything and you want to get the bundle discount.

Of course, I say this as I punch in my $220 for all the new stuff because I'm an idiot

The biggest thing I fear is that it fills a hole in my collection that I'm unaware I have. I just paid a ridiculous amount on HEXplore and LOVE it as my solo game of choice. Not really sure if I see TMB as either a solo or group hit for me but I've avoided looking too deeply into it for exactly the possibility that it might be. My shelf of shame is already too big... but I can always make room for more. Just not wanting to do that to my wallet too...

And yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Try it on TTS first. I found it had some charm but not nearly enough depth to stomach the cost and space, to say nothing of the weird component choices.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

Try it on TTS first. I found it had some charm but not nearly enough depth to stomach the cost and space, to say nothing of the weird component choices.

I really need to buy a copy of that. I feel like it might make me a much smarter KS backer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

New Batman game from Knight Games (Models?) launching on the 26th https://www.batmanescapefromarkhamasylum.com/

Idk much about the developer besides that it seems to be the one that did the Batman miniatures game, which I assume ended production in a bad way due to seeing them on firesale constantly in every miniature store?

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 20, 2021

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
It's almost over now, but the skinny minis second campaign seems like a good alternative to miniatures; the issue for me is that they only do 5e monster manual creatures, and the art is just... real bland? I'd love a similar concept with some weird monsters and more interesting imagery.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I’m kinda tired of Batman miniature games, but having you play villains fighting against or escaping from Batman is an interesting mixup. I feel them posturing to be “the biggest Batman project on Kickstarter” just means that they’re gonna be unnecessarily bloated on extras and expansions.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Desfore posted:

I’m kinda tired of Batman miniature games, but having you play villains fighting against or escaping from Batman is an interesting mixup. I feel them posturing to be “the biggest Batman project on Kickstarter” just means that they’re gonna be unnecessarily bloated on extras and expansions.

Amusingly the IDW one that was super delayed but apparently started arriving in US ports today allows you to play as the villains and fight or escape from Batman (or Batwoman, Batgirl, the Gray Ghost, Etrigan, Casey Jones, April O'Neil... these games are getting too big).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Desfore posted:

im not surprised to see the Knight Models pivot to this, they (and doubtless, dozens of other developers of mini games) have absolutely been seeing the exorbitant success of poo poo on Kickstarter and will absolutely be funded within a week + offer like 4 to 5 expansion boxes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Memnaelar posted:

I really need to buy a copy of that. I feel like it might make me a much smarter KS backer.

Some Kickstarters even do playtests over it. Cole Wehrle has a version of John Company 2d Edition up in the workshop that he keeps updating as he refines the rules, and he takes feedback over discord on it and really seems to consider and make changes based on what he's hearing back.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I do wonder if Knight is going to have trouble on kickstarter since they're typically more about "boutique" miniatures while your typical kickstarter boardgame has 70 PVC miniatures for $90.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

DLC Inc posted:

New Batman game from Knight Games (Models?) launching on the 26th https://www.batmanescapefromarkhamasylum.com/

Idk much about the developer besides that it seems to be the one that did the Batman miniatures game, which I assume ended production in a bad way due to seeing them on firesale constantly in every miniature store?

Ironically, no, I had to get told this by someone In The Know, but Knight continues to make and produce the Batman Miniatures game and it's alarmingly good, but they're bad at making to order and have changed to an amazon-only distribution system so every game store in the world has dumped them, creating the appearance that a completely alive game under active development is dead.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In RPG Kickstarter news, Questlandia Second Edition just launched. If it's anything like the first edition it's rules-light storygamey fantasy, and the pdf tier is only :10bux: if you feel like giving it a go.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

spectralent posted:

Ironically, no, I had to get told this by someone In The Know, but Knight continues to make and produce the Batman Miniatures game and it's alarmingly good, but they're bad at making to order and have changed to an amazon-only distribution system so every game store in the world has dumped them, creating the appearance that a completely alive game under active development is dead.

that is bizarre, though I also found out they're still fine just by recently perusing their site and apparently everything was back in stock. Anytime I visited their site early in the year they had loving nothing so that seems in-line with the "bad at made-to-order" bit. A family member actually requested a Batman miniature painted for Christmas so I guess I'll see the quality of this stuff soon enough----I ordered one yesterday.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ended up backing hero.exe. they made a stretch goal in the last surge of backers, missing out on the next stretch goal which would've been a semi-roguelike mode.

Instead it ended up with a beach episode, which I worry about in this already cheesecake looking game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

DLC Inc posted:

that is bizarre, though I also found out they're still fine just by recently perusing their site and apparently everything was back in stock. Anytime I visited their site early in the year they had loving nothing so that seems in-line with the "bad at made-to-order" bit. A family member actually requested a Batman miniature painted for Christmas so I guess I'll see the quality of this stuff soon enough----I ordered one yesterday.

Yeah, I really cannot understate how bewildering it is to burn every game store on the planet like that. If I see a game that on four or five stores looks like they're trying to fire-sale old stock and drop it, I assume it's dead! And have you tried searching "knight models batman" on amazon? You do not get their storefront let me tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

tag yourself in this image