Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Did anyone else come up with these non-solutions?

1) When trying to land on the quantum moon I realized that I needed something to always look at it. The Nomai built a device that tracks all the planets and moons. I figured out that I could put my camera onto the moving tile that represents the quantum moon, and then always have something looking at it, therefore freezing it in place! This didn't work but I maintain it was a better solution than holding onto a photograph.

I'm really surprised they never did anything with that one. I tried so many experiments with that, thinking it was a matter of timing or placement, that I needed to put my probe facing one specific way then align myself with it on another body far away in the right conditions, like, wish they'd at least throw an achievement bone because think it's a pretty sensible thing to explore and tinker with, especially before you have all the lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

uPen posted:

This makes me curious, what happens when you get to the middle of the ringworld? I'd assume it works like the 0g cave but who knows what trickery they've employed to make the dlc work so well.

You can use trainers on PC to give you infinite jetpack. You basically just get sucked into the gravity on the opposite side as soon as you pass the center.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there a gradient to the gravity as you get closer or is it just "this way down, 1G" no matter the height? I can imagine them doing the latter for simplicity's sake if they knew that the only way to get higher than a certain level would be speedrunner tricks like scout jumping or using cheats.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like it's the latter, they just made a cylindrical volume that exerts 1G towards the closest point on the surface at all times. If it were true centrifugal gravity you'd be able to "orbit" inside just by getting enough speed in the opposite direction of the spin and I don't think that works either.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I can't believe that I only actually understood the Ash Twin Project after my second playthrough. I didn't really realize that at some point the loop was intended to end. It somehow didn't occur to me that on the final loop the probe cannon would just report "hey I found the Eye, here are its coordinates" and the Nomai could then just not trigger the supernova. This is way less crazy than sticking yourself in a 22-minute loop where the sun always gets destroyed no matter what. The player's condition is an accident, not the intended functionality of the system.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

blastron posted:

Is there a gradient to the gravity as you get closer or is it just "this way down, 1G" no matter the height? I can imagine them doing the latter for simplicity's sake if they knew that the only way to get higher than a certain level would be speedrunner tricks like scout jumping or using cheats.

Yup, the latter. Things go a little bit mental with the camera when you hit dead center because you just get flung in the opposite direction to the one you came from.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think I need a hint for echoes. I've explored every lead I know of and there's just 1 thing left that I know will provide more information I need, but I don't know where I'll find how to get past the fireplace all the goats are looking at in the sleep dimension closest to where you enter the stranger. I haven't found a way to get the one in front of the fireplace to look away or get the goats out of there, so I inevitably get noscoped trying to slip past it. If there's something in the game that hints at how to get past this, I either missed it or it went over my head.

I've reached the secret slide rooms in the other 2 sleep dimension areas and applied what I learned from them to open 2 out of the 3 seals on the vault in its sleep (or death :haw:) zone, so it seems like getting past this one is the last thing I need to do.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I think I need a hint for echoes. I've explored every lead I know of and there's just 1 thing left that I know will provide more information I need, but I don't know where I'll find how to get past the fireplace all the goats are looking at in the sleep dimension closest to where you enter the stranger. I haven't found a way to get the one in front of the fireplace to look away or get the goats out of there, so I inevitably get noscoped trying to slip past it. If there's something in the game that hints at how to get past this, I either missed it or it went over my head.

I've reached the secret slide rooms in the other 2 sleep dimension areas and applied what I learned from them to open 2 out of the 3 seals on the vault in its sleep (or death :haw:) zone, so it seems like getting past this one is the last thing I need to do.

Light hint: What fire are you trying to get there from, and when?

Medium hint: Have you heard the screams in the dream world when a tower falls in the real world?

The answer: The first tower falling kills everyone in the first zone. That’s your chance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Have you ever been in the first tower when the dam breaks? Think about what happens when that happens and what might happen to the people that are also using that tower.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

But also, "goats"?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was watching someone play the game on youtube, and something they mentioned made me think of something. Do the elk people never accidentally slip and fall into the water? Also, do they realize they are dead? Do they get notified of when they die? Does someone not realize they have died and then then put their lantern out and then just disappear forever? Or do they walk up to an alarm one day and notice it isn't making any sound and then realize they are dead?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If they did slip and fall in the water in the dream world, surely they’d just burn any slides that they’re in, and delete all evidence they existed. (I’m joking, but they did burn the reel that shows what happens to the one who tested the first prototype artifact and exploded)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

blastron posted:

Light hint: What fire are you trying to get there from, and when?

thanks! exactly what I needed. Appreciate keeping it vague.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Triarii posted:

But also, "goats"?!

Yeah wtf

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I was watching someone play the game on youtube, and something they mentioned made me think of something. Do the elk people never accidentally slip and fall into the water? Also, do they realize they are dead? Do they get notified of when they die? Does someone not realize they have died and then then put their lantern out and then just disappear forever? Or do they walk up to an alarm one day and notice it isn't making any sound and then realize they are dead?

they 100% all know they’re dead; they all consciously chose to let themselves rot away in the simulation instead of having a ‘real’ life. so even if they don’t have a ‘sense’ of being dead, i doubt any of them ever planned to wake up

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The beds in each flame room are completely full, except for the one that's implied to be the Prisoner's, and their lanterns are all lit as far as I can remember. Maybe they're just really sure-footed.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

dmboogie posted:

they 100% all know they’re dead; they all consciously chose to let themselves rot away in the simulation instead of having a ‘real’ life. so even if they don’t have a ‘sense’ of being dead, i doubt any of them ever planned to wake up

It's debatable that they intended to let their physical bodies die, even if all of them being sim-side at once is pretty suspicous, but considering we find some ghost matter even inside the Stranger it didn't matter once the Interloper entered the system.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ardryn posted:

It's debatable that they intended to let their physical bodies die, even if all of them being sim-side at once is pretty suspicous, but considering we find some ghost matter even inside the Stranger it didn't matter once the Interloper entered the system.

i dunno it's technically ambiguous how long it took between the prisoner freeing the signal and the Nomai showing up, but i find it hard to believe any of the strangers were alive by the time they got there

like they'd either have to have 1. astonishingly long lifespans or 2. be raising countless new generations of children on a spaceship they hate being on

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

i dunno it's technically ambiguous how long it took between the prisoner freeing the signal and the Nomai showing up, but i find it hard to believe any of the strangers were alive by the time they got there

like they'd either have to have 1. astonishingly long lifespans or 2. be raising countless new generations of children on a spaceship they hate being on

I guess it does depend on how fast the eye signal 'travels' seeing as the Prisoner didn't seem to have left the signal on for very long before being found out. That's definitely one thing the slides don't really bother conveying even when showing things that should take longer than they appear to, like the slide showing the only time something affects the realworld from inside the simworld.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The protagonist definitely seems to think that there was a huge gap between the Prisoner turning off the cloak and the Nomai receiving the signal. Their slideshow shows the owl aliens' bodies decomposing and the trees in the Stranger dying before it get to the signal still going through space.

There had to at least have been a gap for Dark Bramble to explode, the Hourglass Twins to lose their water, and Brittle Hollow to sprout some ice caps from someplace, but it's not clear how long those things would actually take.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So here's a simulation observation:
Why is there a burned house with an Eye of the Universe sculpture in it at Starlit Cove?

The Strangers didn't build the simulation until after they realized the Eye was dangerous and they burned the pseudo-temples in the ringworld.

Why model a burned out tiny cottage?

I don't think it's coincidence that the cottage ruins are at Starlit Cove, while the empty bed implied to be The Prisoner's is at the Cinder Isles. Near the most prominent burned building and the house with the face scratched off of a portrait of The Prisoner.

I'm starting to think The Prisoner's house in Starlit Cove was "burned". We've seen other Strangers' living quarters in the various simulation areas, it makes sense that they had one too.

That would tie in with The Prisoner always seeming to have a telescope: the one at the burned house in Starlit Cove, the one in their cell, and the one they have in the final message they leave for us.

It could be that The Prisoner was exceptionally devout to the religion of The Eye, which is why they had the symbol in their house in the simulation.

The Strangers tried their hardest to damnatio memoriae The Prisoner, or if nothing else: to make an example of them. I think that extends to burning their simulated home down and leaving the ruins as a testament to what happens to Eye-worshippers now that the Eye's nature has become known.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Shwoo posted:

The protagonist definitely seems to think that there was a huge gap between the Prisoner turning off the cloak and the Nomai receiving the signal. Their slideshow shows the owl aliens' bodies decomposing and the trees in the Stranger dying before it get to the signal still going through space.

There had to at least have been a gap for Dark Bramble to explode, the Hourglass Twins to lose their water, and Brittle Hollow to sprout some ice caps from someplace, but it's not clear how long those things would actually take.

Oh, i hadn't even noticed the different states of the planets in the earlier slides.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

well that's the DLC done. amazing how well they managed to repeat the strengths of the original game with totally nonlinear exploration and progress through knowledge, not game mechanics. Which was really enhanced this time around by having extremely little text. also similar to outer wilds in that there is some really annoying, obnoxious stuff which 5 minutes later didn't bother me at all because I had just learned some extremely cool new thing. these devs are incredible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Questions: a few minutes into the loop, the stranger's lights flicker and the screen pointed toward the solar system glitches for a bit. this is also what triggers the dam to start breaking. What is happening here? something is crashing into the stranger?

Where is the stranger's eye suppression satellite and why did it lose connection? presumably it's still blocking the eye's signal, unless hearthian technology is simply unable to detect it.

I forget exactly where this is, but there's a nomai message that says 3 masks have activated and paired with someone: one on timber hearth, one on giant's deep, and one in the probe cannon's tracking module. The first one is you, the second one is the other hearthian on giant's deep, but what is the probe cannon mask pairing with?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Questions: a few minutes into the loop, the stranger's lights flicker and the screen pointed toward the solar system glitches for a bit. this is also what triggers the dam to start breaking. What is happening here? something is crashing into the stranger?

The ship senses the sun is about to go supernova and deploys the solar sails to get away.

quote:

Where is the stranger's eye suppression satellite and why did it lose connection? presumably it's still blocking the eye's signal, unless hearthian technology is simply unable to detect it.

In orbit around the eye. You can see it at the end of the game if you look closely. Presumably the owlkin broke the controls to keep anyone else from turning off the suppression satellite

quote:

I forget exactly where this is, but there's a nomai message that says 3 masks have activated and paired with someone: one on timber hearth, one on giant's deep, and one in the probe cannon's tracking module. The first one is you, the second one is the other hearthian on giant's deep, but what is the probe cannon mask pairing with?

The probe to find the eye.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nth Doctor posted:

So here's a simulation observation:
Why is there a burned house with an Eye of the Universe sculpture in it at Starlit Cove?

The Strangers didn't build the simulation until after they realized the Eye was dangerous and they burned the pseudo-temples in the ringworld.

Why model a burned out tiny cottage?

I don't think it's coincidence that the cottage ruins are at Starlit Cove, while the empty bed implied to be The Prisoner's is at the Cinder Isles. Near the most prominent burned building and the house with the face scratched off of a portrait of The Prisoner.

I'm starting to think The Prisoner's house in Starlit Cove was "burned". We've seen other Strangers' living quarters in the various simulation areas, it makes sense that they had one too.

That would tie in with The Prisoner always seeming to have a telescope: the one at the burned house in Starlit Cove, the one in their cell, and the one they have in the final message they leave for us.

It could be that The Prisoner was exceptionally devout to the religion of The Eye, which is why they had the symbol in their house in the simulation.

The Strangers tried their hardest to damnatio memoriae The Prisoner, or if nothing else: to make an example of them. I think that extends to burning their simulated home down and leaving the ruins as a testament to what happens to Eye-worshippers now that the Eye's nature has become known.

drat, just wanted to say thank you for this, it makes perfect sense.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I believe this is the colony thing detecting the sun about to go kablooey and unfurling it's solar sails, which puts strain on the dam.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

They use the ash twin project to send the results of the probing back in time so they know where not to launch it and can point it somewhere else next time. There just, aren't any Nomai left to observe it because they don't have enough energy to use the ATP until the sun goes supernova and they're long dead by that point.

Have you been to the tracking module?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
How is the DLC like Rendezvous with Rama? Let me count the ways.

Cylindrical spacecraft that uses rotation to create artificial gravity.
Many mysterious aspects which the exploring crew gradually uncovers.
Central body of water that experiences a tidal wave midway through the story due to the activation of a reactionless drive.
Benign on the surface level but creepy poo poo going on below.
Ends up escaping the star system.
Really loving cool.
Has no known sequels.
Has no known sequels.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I think I've finished the DLC: I met the prisoner and they showed me a cartoon of the two of us sailing off into the sunset. They seem nice, for someone who's been in solitary confinement for a million years.

The only orange dot I have is in the dream gorge vault, where I'm probably missing a reel

I definitely did some things in the wrong way:

- I figured out the "drop the lantern, see the matrix" mechanic on my own, so I saw the second invisible bridge in the canyon and bypassed the stealth section.
- Not sure this is wrong, but in the well area, you can survive the drop from the first building to the right of the entrance and land right in front of the alarm statue, bypassing the first guard

Wingnut Ninja posted:

How is the DLC like Rendezvous with Rama? Let me count the ways.
I don't know if the devs have said anything, but yeah. It's definitely Rama more than any other centrifugal ringworld type thingy. - are we still spoilering the basic concept of the DLC? We probably should

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I had a sudden hankering to watch someone start the game and clicked the first blind-playthrough stream Twitch gave me and it's a really good one!

https://twitch.tv/itstwiggie

I'm only about halfway through the video but the timing on some of the poo poo in the first few loops is absolutely perfect :allears: including a REALLY weird thing happening that chat has to shut itself up from trying to work out wtf happened so as not to spoil.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Thanks for the twitch link. I've recently discovered that I find it more rewarding to watch smart people play puzzle games for the first time than it is to watch seasoned veterans speedrun games they already know. The Sudoku channel Cracking The Cryptic has recently been first-time-playing The Witness and Baba Is You and it's so great to watch their faces light up when they discover something new or come to a critical realization, especially when you already know the answer. It's like giving a kid a present and watching them joyfully unwrap it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm starting to think that every first session of Outer Wilds consists of a person just going "What's that? What is that???? What IS that?!" in delighted confusion until the sun explodes and I love it every time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm starting to think that every first session of Outer Wilds consists of a person just going "What's that? What is that???? What IS that?!" in delighted confusion until the sun explodes and I love it every time.

It's hard to get someone interested in Outer Wilds without spoiling the supernova/time loop, but it is always very special when someone goes into it completely blind and doesn't know that's a thing that's going to happen.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's hard to get someone interested in Outer Wilds without spoiling the supernova/time loop, but it is always very special when someone goes into it completely blind and doesn't know that's a thing that's going to happen.

I managed to get my Brother-In-Law to go in *almost* completely blind using the "please just trust me bro" technique. The texts he's sent me have been great.

He finished the base game a week ago and had this to say after processing everything:

quote:

So it's been a couple days, I've been blasting the soundtrack all week, I watched that 55 min documentary on the game, I feel like I'm ready.

I was slightly worried that the journey would be far better than the destination but that wasn't the case, the destination was just as good as the game itself. I must have been in denial about my ability to save the universe because at some point at the actual eye of the universe my stomach somewhat dropped when I realized that there was no stopping it, there's only observing it. Which was a really beautiful, melancholic way to end it all.

I absolutely love the (somewhat recent?) literary trope of there being multiple layers of weirdness as you go through a black hole (or just the Eye in this case). The whole sequence was cathartic as well as melancholic as I said. The composer did a fantastic job, I'll be listening to his soundtrack a lot more.

The level design also felt groundbreaking, I never thought a game could use it's lore as the only thing to keep you playing. So many assassin's Creed games I collect the lore and don't spend a second reading it because I know I won't be able to follow it anyway. But this game pulled it off. The tutorial design was fantastic as well (including the quantum tower tutorial).
But Outer Wilds is going on my list of games that changed my life, I'm not sure exactly how it has, but you just don't feel quite like the same person after you finish it

I can't wait for him to play through the DLC. Since he's already nerding out about the soundtrack for the game, I looking forward to his reaction to THAT key change when you tell The Prisoner the history of the Nomai and Hearthians

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Hahahaha that is really the best. The magic is still there afterwards imo. There are still questions that pop into my head sometimes.

I collected some very awed impressions from my friends as I'd occasionally get a discord message one evening going 'HOly gently caress I JUST FIGURED X OUT that was insane!!!'

Speaking of your DLC spoiler textI was pretty much crying when I heard THAT key change. there have not been many pieces of art to provoke that reaction for me
Curious to see if it touches others as much as it did me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Some fun associations I’ve seen blind LP/streamers make :
One person had the supernova happen just as they set the locator on the Attlerock to the Eye.

I’ve seen two people playing the DLC view the reel where the Stranger discover the Eye, and think the astonished gasp it does with his freaky monster mouth is actually it being mutated by Eye’s influence.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve seen two people playing the DLC view the reel where the Stranger discover the Eye, and think the astonished gasp it does with his freaky monster mouth is actually it being mutated by Eye’s influence.

Lol what? Game design must be a nightmare, like you see the owl seeing a vision where the eye and then the owls catch on fire I think? And then rot away, then they make an exaggerated expression of shock, idk how you jump to ‘the eye of the universe must be mutating them’, especially when we know what the eye of the universe does, and it’s not ‘influencing/mutating species to act poorly’

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Dr Christmas posted:

Thats what I thought too because I didn't advance the slide. My reaction was to kind of start panting and just rush out of the room, and just kind of stand there while my friend who was watching tried to make sense of it.[/i] Since it was so early, and therefore we knew nothing about what was going on, I was already kind of jumpy going into it. It's kind of frustrating to watch in hindsight, haha...

Then the dam broke

bop bop perano posted:

Lol what? Game design must be a nightmare, like you see the owl seeing a vision where the eye and then the owls catch on fire I think? And then rot away, then they make an exaggerated expression of shock, idk how you jump to ‘the eye of the universe must be mutating them’, especially when we know what the eye of the universe does, and it’s not ‘influencing/mutating species to act poorly’

Yeah, when I saw that slide MUCH later, my reaction was exactly "Oh that's just their mouth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mortons stork posted:

Speaking of your DLC spoiler textI was pretty much crying when I heard THAT key change. there have not been many pieces of art to provoke that reaction for me
Curious to see if it touches others as much as it did me.

Dude I can't even hear some of the music in the game today without having an emotional reaction and I still don't know what to call the feeling the ending gave me when I first experienced it. I also teared up in the moment spoilered. There's a unique tragic bond that transcends species and time and space that only occurs to people who meet in the last ~22 minutes of the universe with uncanny knowledge of the fate of the... everything.