Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Comatoast posted:

Erm, the "Files" app can connect to smb shares. I use this feature to manually copy my keepass database to my phone every so often. It's a simple copy/paste operation into a folder on the phone.

Anytime I leave the network the SMB share is on and try to re-connect to it, I have to press the eject button and re-connect to it entirely, which is a bit irritating.

On top of the fact the Files app chugs on big files and I've had to restart the whole ipad to get it to unstick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hmm I’ll check it out. I’ve heard lots of good things about procreate

Also I’d like to think that the open source copy of procreate would just be called “fuckin”, sort of like The GIMP
Should be able to download coloring pages for anything that can load images. Or just use the built in markup functionality or Notes to draw on images.

Arivia posted:

Right, but I'm not trying to manually copy and paste things. I want to sync these folders. The app I found does that.
Guess it's too late now, but I would've said to try Readdle Documents or PDF Expert, cause the basic file management/sync stuff is part of the free base afaik.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

japtor posted:

Guess it's too late now, but I would've said to try Readdle Documents or PDF Expert, cause the basic file management/sync stuff is part of the free base afaik.

I did try those. Syncing was supported to cloud services that aren't iCloud, as I noted, so I'd be paying $15 a month to Google for the ~250GB of PDFs that fit on my iPad storage normally.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Maybe try pCloud? I grabbed it a while back when Dropbox stopped working on Linux, and it’s pretty awesome. Super fast, encrypted, and works with everything.

They have a sale going for 500gb for $175 lifetime at the moment.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

I did try those. Syncing was supported to cloud services that aren't iCloud, as I noted, so I'd be paying $15 a month to Google for the ~250GB of PDFs that fit on my iPad storage normally.

And disregarding the time spent uploading and downloading, and using up your data

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

You can sync to a local SMB share too :confused: (unless that’s like a paid thing now, but didn’t see any sign of that)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone got any thoughts on the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard? I only learned of it recently and I think it might be perfect for my needs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

japtor posted:

You can sync to a local SMB share too :confused: (unless that’s like a paid thing now, but didn’t see any sign of that)

I did not see anything like that on readdle’s website, mind linking me to it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Well poo poo, I’m an idiot. Thanks to you and Japtor.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Anyone got any thoughts on the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard? I only learned of it recently and I think it might be perfect for my needs.

I got one back when Apple first released the trackpad update for iPadOS (I think it was 14.1?) The trackpad wasn't super great at the time and it really was slow and jittered a lot but tbh I haven't touched it since. I assumed it was because it being new at the time, Apple was the only one who really put the secret sauce into getting the movement just right on the trackpad. I'd have to imagine now that the Combo Touch should be way better.

As far as the feel of it and all, I did like the keys and the fact that it had function keys was also awesome.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arivia posted:

:cheerdoge: hopefully it works how you need, I keep like 30gb of pdfs synced but it's from a box account so dunno firsthand

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

No problem, haven’t used it in a while but tested it out before posting. Basically just connect to a server, then from the little dot menu on the right you can choose to sync a folder.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
My Smart Keyboard Folio has stopped connecting entirely to my device after about 20 months. What’s a good alternative to explore if I can’t get it replaced?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What is the easiest way to stream my own videos to my iPad?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of keyboards; is the Magic Keyboard the absolute best, or is it hyped? Any alternatives that are as good (or almost as good) as it? Damned expensive.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have small computer with a hard drive attached set to network share and just use nPlayer to access it. You can also use Plex but I get some weird compatibilities with it

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of keyboards; is the Magic Keyboard the absolute best, or is it hyped? Any alternatives that are as good (or almost as good) as it? Damned expensive.

There are the Brydge keyboards and I think a new model is getting ready to come out this month?

The magic keyboard is pretty dang good though. I just wish it was more lappable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

japtor posted:

No problem, haven’t used it in a while but tested it out before posting. Basically just connect to a server, then from the little dot menu on the right you can choose to sync a folder.

I ended up sticking with FileBrowser Pro because it allows for background syncing instead of Documents which is like "i need to be in the foreground and the iPad needs to be on and not asleep for all 30 hours of syncing." Going through Files to open stuff up in PDF Expert is working great, though. I miss folder-wide text searches, but I can do that on my PC.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Logitech's Combo Touch/Folio Touch are highly recommended as well. The thing is, if you have AppleCare+ it covers an Apple keyboard as well, but only an Apple keyboard, so buying the Magic Keyboard is far and away the best option in that case.

e: when i was researching keyboards brydge's keyboards seemed to have a bunch of minor annoyances that got worse over time, stuff like not using the smart connector and not using the standard trackpad support apparently gets worse over time. the Logitech options are pretty standard with what Apple wants you to do and very compatible in that respect.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 19, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Protocol7 posted:

There are the Brydge keyboards and I think a new model is getting ready to come out this month?

The magic keyboard is pretty dang good though. I just wish it was more lappable.

Arivia posted:

I ended up sticking with FileBrowser Pro because it allows for background syncing instead of Documents which is like "i need to be in the foreground and the iPad needs to be on and not asleep for all 30 hours of syncing." Going through Files to open stuff up in PDF Expert is working great, though. I miss folder-wide text searches, but I can do that on my PC.

Logitech's Combo Touch/Folio Touch are highly recommended as well. The thing is, if you have AppleCare+ it covers an Apple keyboard as well, but only an Apple keyboard, so buying the Magic Keyboard is far and away the best option in that case.

e: when i was researching keyboards brydge's keyboards seemed to have a bunch of minor annoyances that got worse over time, stuff like not using the smart connector and not using the standard trackpad support apparently gets worse over time. the Logitech options are pretty standard with what Apple wants you to do and very compatible in that respect.

Cool thanks. I'll check them out. Didn't know there was a new model coming out as well. I don't have AppleCare+, and chose not to get it as I'm paying for insurance where they already replace poo poo if dropped with no decrease value when it comes to electronics.

Edit: Looking closer at the different keyboards, the Magic Keyboard doesn't seem to have edge protection on the iPad. Even with the insurance I mentioned, I don't want to ruin it. It's super nice to use without a case, but I'm scared to gently caress it up. Especially as I'm going to be using the iPad in more rugged conditions sometimes. Looking at the Logitech Combo touch, it's a case (with edge protection) that you can detach the keyboard from (which I really like) so that you get the best of two worlds. The stand is much better than on my current case (Smart Folio) that always seem to be too angled to be comfortable to watch stuff on. A shame because it was drat expensive...

The Bryde one doesn't have edge protection neither, so front runner is the Logitech stuff. Good thing I asked because I didn't even think of this before!

Also to follow up on the lidar stuff that I wanted to use (and bought the iPad for). Cool stuff and will be useful for 3D scanning and 3D printing. Also been using some different apps to scan, and it's pretty useful to get a decent 3D visualization. Also been using magicplan to make a floor plan of the family house that needs renovating. Sometimes superfast to use lidar, and sometimes it needs the normal corner recognition that uses the camera. I bought a bluetooth laser measurer and it works great with magicplan. What took me 2 hours doing it manually and making the plan in some floor planner program, now took me like 15 minutes.
Do you need lidar? Absolutely not. But I mean, the iPad itself is super nice... so I am super happy with it anyway.
Looking forward to finding the time to get into 3D printing stuff I scanned with the lidar though, as well as using it to design and weld stuff for my electric bike as well (going to scan it so I can design custom stuff for it and see how it looks before I spend time making it).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 19, 2021

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

anothergod posted:

I use Universal Media Server on my PC which hosts the videos and then nPlayer on iPad (although plenty of other apps like VLC or Infuse do the same) to watch them.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

anothergod posted:

i use plex

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I ended up buying a Logitech Combo Touch for my 11”. I love this thing - but it’s particularly unlappable if that matters to you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the best PDF reader? iBooks works great as a UI, but the organization is garbage and it bloats file sizes for some reason. I dropped <500mb in and now iBooks is using 2gb, and I need to put like 10 gigs more PDFs on here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the best PDF reader? iBooks works great as a UI, but the organization is garbage and it bloats file sizes for some reason. I dropped <500mb in and now iBooks is using 2gb, and I need to put like 10 gigs more PDFs on here.

Someone dust off the old thread title.

edit: Goodreader used to be the universal recommendation for pdf viewers, not sure if that is still the case.

withak fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 20, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Lexicon posted:

I ended up buying a Logitech Combo Touch for my 11”. I love this thing - but it’s particularly unlappable if that matters to you.

I think I'll take un-lapable over expensive with little protection and no way to detach the keyboard or set different viewing angles. The Magic Keyboard also seems to wobble when typing, even on a table (at least from what I've seen on YouTube clips). I'm trying to think how lapable my Surface Pro 3 was (I think those are 12").
Thanks for the input. :)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Bottom Liner posted:

This might be a strange suggestion, but have you tried a comic reader like Chunky? Image rendering is great and the UI stays out of the way.

I haven't done any testing with large libraries and it might be missing PDF-specific features you'd want, but it might be worth a shot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

Ah, yeah that's nice. I wonder how much of that is PDF Expert just being paranoid about background limitations. Not sure if anything has changed (this was waaay back) but there was basically a 10 minute background limit and wasn't necessarily guaranteed.

And about the Logitech keyboard/trackpad, they worked with Apple on them (like with the Crayon), so they're the closest thing to first party without actually being first party. I don't know of any other trackpads that work similarly. Course there's been knockoff Pencils for a little while now, kinda wonder if there's knockoff trackpads that have figured out the "Magic" bits.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I use Universal Media Server on my PC which hosts the videos and then nPlayer on iPad (although plenty of other apps like VLC or Infuse do the same) to watch them.
Been using nPlayer for years, I just connect through SMB to my computer or NAS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone use the non-keyboard smart folio? I want something less chonky because as I get better with the pencil I use the keyboard less and less, but my experiences with their foldy-uppy folios have been hit and miss in the past.. either the magnets don't hold and the stand collapses or it doesn't have a big enough base to keep the ipad from falling over when in the most vertical mode.

Granted, this was with early generation stuff where the folio only attached to one edge of the ipad so I expect the full sandwich design will do better, but it seems better to ask.

Ideally there'd be a folio out there that also secures the pencil like the logitech keyboard one does but there appears to be jack and poo poo out there for that. Everything that has a design I like has pretty bad reviews.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

withak posted:

Someone dust off the old thread title.

edit: Goodreader used to be the universal recommendation for pdf viewers, not sure if that is still the case.

Goodreader has gone a long while without updates and is pretty long in the tooth. I'd try PDF expert first, see if you can handle the free features only or are willing to drop the $65 yearly. Most annoying thing that's locked away beyond the subscription is rotating PDF pages, but that's less of a pain on the iPad than it is on a fixed-screen device (laptop/desktop).

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Am I not doing it right w/ the official Apple folio for the iPad Mini? Standing it up is really precarious. Pretty much if I touch it it'll fall over....

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xzzy posted:

Anyone use the non-keyboard smart folio? I want something less chonky because as I get better with the pencil I use the keyboard less and less, but my experiences with their foldy-uppy folios have been hit and miss in the past.. either the magnets don't hold and the stand collapses or it doesn't have a big enough base to keep the ipad from falling over when in the most vertical mode.

Granted, this was with early generation stuff where the folio only attached to one edge of the ipad so I expect the full sandwich design will do better, but it seems better to ask.

Ideally there'd be a folio out there that also secures the pencil like the logitech keyboard one does but there appears to be jack and poo poo out there for that. Everything that has a design I like has pretty bad reviews.

I have one. Wouldn't really recommend it for the price. The pencil holding place is pretty clunky and you have to pull pretty hard and then press it in. Just as your previous experiences, the stand is sub optimal. It holds, but not at a great viewing angle, and it's hard to keep standing on soft surfaces (like when lying in bed). I'd give it a miss unless you get a very good deal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think I'll take un-lapable over expensive with little protection and no way to detach the keyboard or set different viewing angles. The Magic Keyboard also seems to wobble when typing, even on a table (at least from what I've seen on YouTube clips). I'm trying to think how lapable my Surface Pro 3 was (I think those are 12").
Thanks for the input. :)

For what it's worth, my experiences with the Magic Keyboard have been that it's very solid and doesn't wobble at all. There's obviously a metal plate to give the whole thing some rigidity - as long as you rest your palms on the keyboard to balance out the weight of the iPad on top it doesn't move at all, lap or desk. Because the keyboard is completely flat this feels very natural.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Is there really no way to turn off sounds for FaceTime and forwarded call notifications on iPad? Like yeah sometimes I use my iPad for those things but I don’t need yet another device ringing. Google seems to suggest the only thing I can do is upload a silent ringtone lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Make a custom focus mode?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Make a custom focus mode?

This is witchcraft but I'm down to dabble in the dark arts

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

Am I not doing it right w/ the official Apple folio for the iPad Mini? Standing it up is really precarious. Pretty much if I touch it it'll fall over....
Might be doing the same thing a lot of people did with the original folding cover...how are you folding the triangle? Folding it one way the triangle should be solid enough, while folding it the other way it'll basically fall apart with a light touch. And yes that means putting the inner side of the cover down on the surface is the right way.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

japtor posted:

Might be doing the same thing a lot of people did with the original folding cover...how are you folding the triangle? Folding it one way the triangle should be solid enough, while folding it the other way it'll basically fall apart with a light touch. And yes that means putting the inner side of the cover down on the surface is the right way.

Yup. Definitely was folding it the wrong way. lol

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Arivia posted:

For what it's worth, my experiences with the Magic Keyboard have been that it's very solid and doesn't wobble at all. There's obviously a metal plate to give the whole thing some rigidity - as long as you rest your palms on the keyboard to balance out the weight of the iPad on top it doesn't move at all, lap or desk. Because the keyboard is completely flat this feels very natural.

I love mine; the only problem i had was the Price. Now its my favourite keyboard to use out of everything i own / even older ergonomic desktop models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Arivia posted:

Ok, that's good to hear. I don't think it fits my use case though. Especially as I don't want to have the iPad exposed if not attached to the Magic Keyboard. Can't stand the price neither.