Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Oh man I used one of those as a very young kid at a science museum and never saw one since then so I always thought I imagined it until right now, it's such a weird idea

They're still all over Chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Coins, SNES/N64/Gamecube stuff.

One for the cool precious metals and historical value, the other because I'm a stereotypical nostalgic idiot and who doesn't like a good self-wank once and awhile

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Shame Boy posted:

Oh man I used one of those as a very young kid at a science museum and never saw one since then so I always thought I imagined it until right now, it's such a weird idea
Staple of Chicago attractions. They smell so incredible. Kind of bumming myself out that I'll probably never see/smell one again.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slugworth posted:

Staple of Chicago attractions. They smell so incredible. Kind of bumming myself out that I'll probably never see/smell one again.

Chicago still exists and the zoo is free

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Imagined posted:

The zoo in my city still maintains and even updates these old Mold-A-Rama machines, and I've tried to collect every mold they put out.

That is incredible, I wish I had the forethought to save all the ones I got over the years. Those machines were so cool.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Slimy Hog posted:

They're still all over Chicago

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, and I love those loving things! I think the only one I currently own is from a visit to the Museum of Science and Industry in 2004, but I would like to have more of them.

As others have pointed out, the smell is unique and unforgettable.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Y'all are making me jealous with the injection mold machine. The only thing I've ever seen that comes close is the old emboss a penny for 51c machines and that's nowhere near as cool.

Also I've decided gently caress it and gonna start with letterpress blocks more seriously. Rounded all mine up and put them in a small box on my desk for now.

My rule is going to be to only buy designs that make me go holy poo poo that's awesome, though I may have hosed that up already pending auction results. At least I'll have something to look for in antique malls if I ever hit one up again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

As others have pointed out, the smell is unique and unforgettable.

Probably why I still remember it despite being like 5 years old when I used one, that smell is burned into my memory forever :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Turbinosamente posted:

Y'all are making me jealous with the injection mold machine. The only thing I've ever seen that comes close is the old emboss a penny for 51c machines and that's nowhere near as cool.

Also I've decided gently caress it and gonna start with letterpress blocks more seriously. Rounded all mine up and put them in a small box on my desk for now.

My rule is going to be to only buy designs that make me go holy poo poo that's awesome, though I may have hosed that up already pending auction results. At least I'll have something to look for in antique malls if I ever hit one up again.

That's really cool! And inspired me to finally get off my rear end and start on my next linocut, so double thanks for posting it :)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Trabant posted:

That's really cool! And inspired me to finally get off my rear end and start on my next linocut, so double thanks for posting it :)

You're welcome! I just like tiny artwork myself, don't do any printmaking. Though I'm sure one day I'll get the bright idea to ink one of these up and try to use it like a normal stamp.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Slimy Hog posted:

Chicago still exists and the zoo is free
It's a thousand miles away from me, and wouldn't necessarily be a priority during future visits, is all.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Turbinosamente posted:

You're welcome! I just like tiny artwork myself, don't do any printmaking. Though I'm sure one day I'll get the bright idea to ink one of these up and try to use it like a normal stamp.

Oh I absolutely couldn't resist, but that's from someone who already has the inks/brayer/etc. Just don't underestimate the amount of pressure you'll need to achieve a decent print. The good news is that it can be achieved by hand and a spoon (e.g.), although I admit I say that having only lino experience.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I have a small but tasteful collection of books of myth and folklore. It's always the section I go to at a used book store. Most of it is on this shelf:

For the most part, I've arranged it by region, left-to-right starting the international date line and moving east. Some of my favorites:

Folklore of American Weather

Every page of this little book has a fascinating nugget or two on it. I love the specificity of the topic and the quick breezy style.

Myths of the Norsemen

Published in 1908, this was in shockingly good condition. I don't know anything about bookbinding, but this still has pages that haven't been separated. I'm a bit torn about it, because I'm always interested in different renderings of Norse mythology, but I can't really read it without cutting the pages, and I have no idea how to do that. I still love having found this one.

Mongolian Folktales

Not quite as quirky as the last two, I just love the illustrations in here, which are all actually paper cut art done by a Mongolian artist. Beautiful stuff.

Collecting myths and folklore is fun because of the variety of ways people attempt to reconcile with source texts/oral traditions in a modern written format. The same set of stories can be interpreted extremely differently by two different editors/retellers. It's also great to see different folkloric stories rendered by widely-separated cultures, like when a story from Sweden is told very similarly to one from Japan, just with slight aesthetic differences. Really fun.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Trabant posted:

Oh I absolutely couldn't resist, but that's from someone who already has the inks/brayer/etc. Just don't underestimate the amount of pressure you'll need to achieve a decent print. The good news is that it can be achieved by hand and a spoon (e.g.), although I admit I say that having only lino experience.

I do actually have a brayer, hand burnishing tool, my lovely lino cuts from high school/college, and a tube of speedball whatever ink from then that's probably shot by now... I just also collect way too many crafting/art hobbies and have way too many supplies. Right now I'm doing collages, cross stitches, and practicing bass guitar, because I can do it in front of a computer. Got loads of others that are messy or smelly crafts that need to be done in the basement, like anything with enamel paints.

Reading up a bit on letterpress stuff it appears the ideal is just enough pressure to transfer the ink without embossing the paper at all as too much force can ruin the dies. No idea how well you could achieve that by hand and not smear it or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, finally had an opportunity to take some pictures.

My major hobby is roleplaying games, so I collect a lot of books for that. Stuff on the white shelf is double-shelved, with other books I don’t reference nearly as much behind the first selection. I mostly game master, so my books are all close to my desk for me to reference and use while prepping for sessions.

But since I actually use those books for an active hobby, going by that other thread in this subforum that’s not a collection. After some thinking, my largest collection is probably the year or so in undergrad I went a little adhd/depressive crazy and tried to collect all the PS2 games I could possibly be interested in, so mostly RPGs or games with female protagonists. A lot of these have never been played. I bought Mana Khemia 2 without ever touching Mana Khemia 1.

I have some other stuff hanging around, like coins that are unusually shiny or cool (I live in Canada so there’s a good chance of any given quarter being some new art thing).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Tickets. I actually was about to give up doing it but I met a friend who also did and it made me decide to keep going.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Rick posted:

Tickets. I actually was about to give up doing it but I met a friend who also did and it made me decide to keep going.

Concerts, parking or speeding?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Minolta camera straps. I'd say cameras but I use all of my cameras, and if I don't I sell them. But the Minolta straps are definitely a collection.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Concerts, parking or speeding?

Concerts/movies. Parking tickets seem to spontaneously degrade in weeks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rick posted:

Concerts/movies. Parking tickets seem to spontaneously degrade in weeks.

I was hoping you’d say you collected tech support tickets.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I collect miniature arcade machines:

Yes, they are playable. No, I don't play any of them

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Ok sure but come on, really, what’s your punching machine high score?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, fine. Sound on, cause this thing rules

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r1eahvdBtU1udxgdd_720.mp4

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

flavor.flv posted:

I collect miniature arcade machines:

Oh hey I have all of those little ones in the bottom right of your second photo, too!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well, you should come talk about it! I just made a thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982791

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Mister Facetious posted:

And I've got a jar filled with two pounds of nickels and dimes because who uses them anymore
You should bring those to a bank and exchange them for bills, they'll probably be happy to have coinage :v:

I collect strange and unusual trading card games (my favorite is the Beyblade one -- it's genuinely novel!), books (approximately half of them have been read), a small amount of cool rocks, and.. so on.

Oh, and music. I like to keep an eye out for genres I don't have much or any of. I'm pretty sure my rarest item is a CD release of the 1978 Watership Down movie soundtrack. You can find a few on Amazon right now, but when I got it they were few and far between; the vinyl is far more common.

Digitally, I collect art from the internet. I like a wide variety of subjects and styles, and I've considered making a thread in PMF (or looking for a relevant one in PYF). Maybe I'll do that after all! Also, drat you DeviantArt redesign for making it difficult to download pics! :mad:

In dumber collections, I also have art supplies that I might maybe use, and a vast array of links that I will definitely read/watch/look at someday :downs:
Highly recommend Wikidpad if you are also a link collector who favors desktop. I also put my post drafts and poo poo there, it's really handy.

Guacala posted:

I collect local mining artifacts. Old rail road spikes, telegraphs, letters, and maps.
That's cool as hell and reminds me that I also have a collection of local history things, which I scanned and uploaded here :3:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ayin posted:

Oh, and music. I like to keep an eye out for genres I don't have much or any of. I'm pretty sure my rarest item is a CD release of the 1978 Watership Down movie soundtrack. You can find a few on Amazon right now, but when I got it they were few and far between; the vinyl is far more common.

There's a surprising amount of albums that are plentiful on vinyl or cassette but hard to find on CD. Probably the most famous artist I've got is a Roger Daltrey solo album: Under a Raging Moon. Scratch that, I just remembered I have a CD copy of the Wings Back to the Egg because I wanted a physical copy of Wonderful Christmas Time on a modern format and it was the only way to get it as it was thrown on there as a bonus track. If you look on Ebay right now you can find CD copies to both of these albums but they cost as much or more than a brand new CD release owing to the hard to come by factor. There's quite a dead zone in the late 80s and early 90s for slightly less beloved albums, even from wildly popular musicians. Hell it was only in the last year that Brian May realized his solo albums were out of print and got on rereleasing them both physically and digitally. Lots of untapped stuff out there to explore is what I'm getting at.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ll add some pictures later but I just collect boring stuff and nothing weird: board games, whiskey, and comics.

My wife used to have a bunch of weird collecting hobbies and I’ll see if I can find pictures of those. She used to have dozens of ceramic cows and squirrels that were just unnerving. The cows were like the previous moments of creepy cow figurines.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Where I work was a cigar factory 100 years ago. So I buy and display memoribila from that company in my office. Things like business letters holiday cards ane such. I'm not endorcing smoking, I'm preserving history.

Also vintage tv shows on reel 32mm, 90s rock band autographs and sports cards.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 27, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm poor and don't have space so I only collect dumb poo poo in videogames. But to be honest I don't think there's anything in real life I'd be a collector of if I could, it's not really part of my mindset

I do like to read about other people's collections, though. I might not get what drive people to do it but I find somewhat zen to read people talking about their collections like uh, this entire thread.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

falz posted:

7 pages and I'd hoped some cool sneakerhead would've emerged by now.

Guessing Venn diagram overlap with goons is pretty slim.

i collect sneakers. i regret displaying them like this because it's not like i've got a massive wardrobe the size of 12 rooms where 'shoes' has a section. as it is i'm guessing every girl who has seen it searches for the switch that spins them around to reveal severed heads or whatever. still it's my hobby and this thread is about collecting poo poo so here it is i guess. the towers are just under 6' tall.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Marching Powder, Disney + has a show called the world according to Jeff Goldblum, they send him places to discover new things and one of the first episodes is the world of sneaker collecting.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Marching Powder posted:

i collect sneakers. i regret displaying them like this because it's not like i've got a massive wardrobe the size of 12 rooms where 'shoes' has a section. as it is i'm guessing every girl who has seen it searches for the switch that spins them around to reveal severed heads or whatever. still it's my hobby and this thread is about collecting poo poo so here it is i guess. the towers are just under 6' tall.

I don’t know anything about sneakers, rare/valuable/vintage or not, but I like the way you displayed them.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

learnincurve posted:

Marching Powder, Disney + has a show called the world according to Jeff Goldblum, they send him places to discover new things and one of the first episodes is the world of sneaker collecting.

i don't know if i want to know what jeff goldblum thinks about me and people like me but it sounds rad as hell so i might just track this down

JnnyThndrs posted:

I don’t know anything about sneakers, rare/valuable/vintage or not, but I like the way you displayed them.

thanks, dawg.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Marching Powder posted:

i don't know if i want to know what jeff goldblum thinks about me and people like me but it sounds rad as hell so i might just track this down

It’s kinda goofy but fun, worth watching

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh it’s super wholesome, like he’s a madman, but he’s genuinely interested in all these new things they get him to do and see.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Vaporwave cassettes! Yes I do listen to them.

Thats a lotta money right there lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AEMINAL posted:

Vaporwave cassettes! Yes I do listen to them.

Thats a lotta money right there lol

As someone who has a proper hi-fi stack with a really nice casette deck in it, I have to look down my nose and sneer at people who buy modern stuff on casette, what with it just being ferric tape with no dolby.

Also as someone who has a proper hi-fi stack with a really nice casette deck in it in tyool 2021, I've already self-owned so darn hard that nothing else actually matters.

(Cool tapes :shobon:)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Shame Boy posted:

As someone who has a proper hi-fi stack with a really nice casette deck in it, I have to look down my nose and sneer at people who buy modern stuff on casette, what with it just being ferric tape with no dolby.

Also as someone who has a proper hi-fi stack with a really nice casette deck in it in tyool 2021, I've already self-owned so darn hard that nothing else actually matters.

(Cool tapes :shobon:)

can't believe you didnt mention my jazz cup chode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AEMINAL posted:

can't believe you didnt mention my jazz cup chode.

It seemed like too obvious a bait :colbert: