Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There are certainly very good cordless electric leaf blowers on the commercial market. The backpack models have multi-hour runtimes and can easily push leafs, sticks, and even sand or gravel. If you need more power than that, buy a rake.

https://youtu.be/oftRmjzX5Lk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
leaf blowers are much like lifted trucks and the entire purpose of them is to be loud and annoying to everyone to demonstrate that yes, I can afford to care about leaves. i don't actually know what people use them for besides giving the maintenance guy something to do at strip malls. it seems like you either have a lawn small enough that it would be easier to just rake or a property huge enough that you need something more than a leaf blower anyway.

anyway i was mostly thinking of weed whackers and chainsaws which get a ton of use so i don't know how you could ever replace them with electrics, at least right now. imagine how many batteries it would take to get through an oak tree lmfao.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 17, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Electric leaf blowers and chainsaws and hedge trimmers are great and work great, banning gasoline operated ones would be great. We could even still have gasoline lawnmowers because the electric ones aren't as good, yet. They're different pieces of machinery guys.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Larry Parrish posted:

leaf blowers are much like lifted trucks and the entire purpose of them is to be loud and annoying to everyone to demonstrate that yes, I can afford to care about leaves. i don't actually know what people use them for besides giving the maintenance guy something to do at strip malls. it seems like you either have a lawn small enough that it would be easier to just rake or a property huge enough that you need something more than a leaf blower anyway.

it's one of those Things That Gardeners Do even though I'm sure if you asked most homeowners "do you need leaves blown around for 10 minutes by a guy with an engine on his back?' they'd probably say no. My guess is most people who hire gardeners don't really care one way or the other and therefore the status quo remains.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fond memories of opening the dominos at 9 am on Sunday. I'd get to work early and smoke a few cigarettes and without fail every day the maintenance guy/gardener would water the three lovely ornamental pear trees and then proceed to blow a massive cloud of grit and gravel bits across the strip mall parking lot, to the point that some of the windows were visibly sandblasted.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Oh yeah, most leaf blowing appears to be total make-work activity. I would assume that landscaping companies are terrified that people will forget that they're around if they can't hear them.

Also electric chainsaws, weed-wackers, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. definitely seem up to the task for most jobs.

https://youtu.be/ABTPoByMDgY

https://youtu.be/WRwdppBdWJQ

https://youtu.be/I6i-oFSk3fc

https://youtu.be/3UA3l2rIY7M

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 17, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The California thread unable to figure out the use of leafblowers because there are no deciduous trees near them is pretty funny.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bunch of people who never did any real yard work posting up in here. Raking and sweeping poo poo up takes way longer. And if you're a gardener who needs to do x number of houses each day you don't have time for that.

Definitely ban the things, they're loud as poo poo and emit ridiculous levels of pollutants for their size, but I assure you there are plenty of use cases for a blower. Hopefully the cleaner tech continues to advance.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Y'all know the guv signed the bill, right?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article254416318.html posted:

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill into law on Saturday that will phase out the sale of gas-powered leaf blowers, lawn mowers and other small off-road engines by as soon as 2024.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Apparently if you're a driver in Contra Costa county you can hit and kill cyclists in the bike lane and face 0 charges:
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a37081489/jets-assistant-coach-gregg-knapp-hit-by-a-driver/

quote:

Knapp, 58, who lived in Danville, was riding in a bike lane near the intersection of Dougherty Road and Bollinger Canyon Road when the driver hit him from behind around 2:50 p.m. The driver did stop to help. Knapp was sent to the John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where he was hospitalized in critical condition.

The Contra Costa County District Attorney blamed the collision on the driver’s inattention, but that it was not enough to press criminal charges. In fact, the driver has not received any negligence charge or other citation, and the police have stated that the investigation is closed.

Cars continue to be the apex predator in America
E: dude literally swerved into the bike lane and struck him

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 17, 2021

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Bunch of people who never did any real yard work posting up in here. Raking and sweeping poo poo up takes way longer. And if you're a gardener who needs to do x number of houses each day you don't have time for that.

Definitely ban the things, they're loud as poo poo and emit ridiculous levels of pollutants for their size, but I assure you there are plenty of use cases for a blower. Hopefully the cleaner tech continues to advance.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that leaf blowers have literally zero use. It's just that it's completely unnecessary to run them every single week when the vast majority of yards don't have any significant debris accumulation. Most yards only need leaf blowing every couple of months max. Most of the time they're literally just blowing dust around the yard. I've seen gardeners use leaf blowers on a xeriscaped lawn for gently caress's sake.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Y'all know the guv signed the bill, right?

I'll believe it when it happens. DC enacted a ban on gas leaf-blowers in 2018 slated to begin in 2022, but the ubiquitous landscaping companies certainly haven't made any equipment changes yet. They're absolutely everywhere pushing a handful of leafs from one lawn to the next. I'd guess that the service comes through our apartment complex three times a week at least. I'm assuming that they'll wait until the day before the deadline and then complain that they don't have time to deal with this "useless job-killing legislation".

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 17, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Seph posted:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that leaf blowers have literally zero use. It's just that it's completely unnecessary to run them every single week when the vast majority of yards don't have any significant debris accumulation. Most yards only need leaf blowing every couple of months max. Most of the time they're literally just blowing dust around the yard. I've seen gardeners use leaf blowers on a xeriscaped lawn for gently caress's sake.

My "yard" in LA (I use this term loosely, more like concrete patio with a ceremonial patch of grass) would need leaf blowing like, every other week due to the amount of palm seeds and leaves from the eucalyptus next door.

I got a small 18V leaf blower, it worked great for this.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Seph posted:

Yeah, I can believe they get used a lot more than necessary. People are dumb.

Kaal posted:

I'll believe it when it happens. DC enacted a ban on gas leaf-blowers in 2018 slated to begin in 2022, but the ubiquitous landscaping companies certainly haven't made any equipment changes yet. They're absolutely everywhere pushing a handful of leafs from one lawn to the next. I'd guess that the service comes through our apartment complex three times a week at least. I'm assuming that they'll wait until the day before the deadline and then complain that they don't have time to deal with this "useless job-killing legislation".

And this language is in the bill

quote:

Those regulations shall apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as the state board determines is feasible, whichever is later.

So if the board determines that they can't feasibly apply the regulations prior to 2035 then the law permits them to set that as the target date. Guess we'll see how effective the industry lobbyists are.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

no hay camino posted:

Apparently if you're a driver in Contra Costa county you can hit and kill cyclists in the bike lane and face 0 charges:
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a37081489/jets-assistant-coach-gregg-knapp-hit-by-a-driver/

Cars continue to be the apex predator in America
E: dude literally swerved into the bike lane and struck him

This is true everywhere in the US.

If you want to murder someone, use a car and put them on a bike.

You'll get away with it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Kaal posted:

Sort of like how California mandated more humane conditions for livestock in 2018 to begin in 2022 and the pork industry didn't believe it would actually happen then said "oh gently caress" about mid-August this year realizing that like 2/3rds of pork won't be able to be sold in California and it takes a year for a pig to be ready for slaughter.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jaxyon posted:

You'll get away with it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And this language is in the bill

So if the board determines that they can't feasibly apply the regulations prior to 2035 then the law permits them to set that as the target date. Guess we'll see how effective the industry lobbyists are.

Yeah, I was going to point that out, since most people aren't reading AB-1346. In addition they have 5 considerations to go by when promulgating regulations, and they're also authorized to fund commercial rebates/incentives... so ARB really isn't required to "ban" any of this stuff by 2024, but rather regulate things as is feasible.

Not that necessarily people should trust that ARB is going to make good decisions, but ARB is probably going to make better case-by-case decisions after community input through the rulemaking process, than some random legislator looking for another accomplishment for their next campaign. We'll see what happens.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jaxyon posted:

You'll get away with it.

Homo automovilis is so successful it's killing the whole planet

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The was a story from a few weeks ago in Texas where some guy was trying to roll coal on a group of cyclists, hosed up and ended up swerving into the whole group and sending three guys to the hospital. He then admitted at the scene to having done it and said something like "I'm going to jail for this aren't I?" Except lol nope he got off scot-free.

quote:

The teenager’s lawyer, Rick DeToto, described his client as “a young man in high school with college aspirations” and “a very new and inexperienced driver” in a statement to the Houston Chronicle. He said the teenager stopped immediately after hitting the cyclists, tried to help them, called 911 and cooperated with police.

In a different statement to KPRC, DeToto said the fact that police didn’t arrest his client the day of the crash means they don’t think he did anything illegal. “After their investigation, they decided not to charge my client and did not even issue him a traffic ticket. Clearly, they determined a crime had not occurred.”

Look he's a wonderful and bright young man who just didn't know any better: how could such a young and inexperienced driver know intentionally trying to cover cyclists in exhaust fumes multiple times could end up causing a harmful incident? Anyway clearly he did nothing wrong, please move along.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sydin posted:

The was a story from a few weeks ago in Texas where some guy was trying to roll coal on a group of cyclists, hosed up and ended up swerving into the whole group and sending three guys to the hospital. He then admitted at the scene to having done it and said something like "I'm going to jail for this aren't I?" Except lol nope he got off scot-free.

Look he's a wonderful and bright young man who just didn't know any better: how could such a young and inexperienced driver know intentionally trying to cover cyclists in exhaust fumes multiple times could end up causing a harmful incident? Anyway clearly he did nothing wrong, please move along.

Last I heard it had been referred to a grand jury, but it is incredibly infuriating that he was able to just go about his business after the incident.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Recall Gavin for govt ovvereach on my lawnmower

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I for one welcome the absence of the zooming leaf blower chorus a few times a week.

I don't know what my neighbors do with those things for 30 mins at a stretch, no one's combined yard/sidewalk/driveway around me is bigger than about 1000 sf, and I could probably collect a typical week's accumulation of leaves, dead grass, and dust into one solid handful.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6NRn9Zd7TQ

Probably need to convert it into a gif with subtitles. The longer cut has the girlfriend stuff. Probably the best thing to come out of that dumb recall. :v:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

FOOD GROWS WHERE LEAVES BLOW

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I miss the bear.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

withak posted:

I for one welcome the absence of the zooming leaf blower chorus a few times a week.

I don't know what my neighbors do with those things for 30 mins at a stretch, no one's combined yard/sidewalk/driveway around me is bigger than about 1000 sf, and I could probably collect a typical week's accumulation of leaves, dead grass, and dust into one solid handful.

Occasional use of a leafblower for residential landscaping is one thing. But the all-day job of landscaping a major site is hellish and is a job that should be done by robots. Hours a day use of those things must be doing terrible damage to the worker's hearing and joints, ear protection doesn't help if you have the noise source in a backpack and it's vibrating the small bones in your inner ear against each other. It's one of the cruelest, most damaging "unskilled" jobs out there and I feel really bad for everyone I see shaking their body to pieces for minimum wage.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah South Pasadena just banned gas leaf blowers, but enforcement doesn't kick in until October of 2022. And yeah 90% of the time they're just blowing dust around.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

The California thread unable to figure out the use of leafblowers because there are no deciduous trees near them is pretty funny.

there's plenty around me but it's rural so you just kind of let them stay where they are, unless you actually have a lawn or you have a small pasture or some other place where you need not-native grass. it's important to let the mulch layers grow.

and if you have a firebreak you really should have cut most of the low branches away anyway if not outright cut down the non-evergreens which is gonna halt leaf buildup

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Kestral posted:

Gas-powered landscaping equipment should be phased out. The problem, as I understand it from friends who are in the business, is that there are no viable electric replacements yet. Apparently the type of electric mowers that can handle wet grass - which is to say, the type they're usually dealing with - are corded, which presents some fairly obvious difficulties; the battery-powered types don't have the cutting strength, and just get hopelessly snarled.

Ahh yes, famously the most common landscaping task in California these days: Cutting wet grass.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

cmerepaul posted:

Ahh yes, famously the most common landscaping task in California these days: Cutting wet grass.

Sprinklers are still running, especially on institutional / corporate landscaping.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kestral posted:

Sprinklers are still running, especially on institutional / corporate landscaping.

I would love to see the developer tears generated by some kind of 'all commercial property, including condos/etc, must have no outdoor plant watering'. How will they sell office leases without those little grass knolls with tiny lovely decorative trees dividing the parking lot?!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Larry Parrish posted:

also this is literally the gas emissions version of the we should ban pools and lawns thing lol. someone find the state 2020 water use pie chart where residential use (including pools and lawns and laundry) was like 2% of total usage lol.

i understand where you're coming from but the first step to solving many of these problems seems to be 'bring back the ELF' and 'punish planned obsolescence with the death penalty'

This is sort of beside your point, but landscaping is 5% of water usage in CA (from that chart). It is equal to all other "urban" water usage. Relevant to this page (I think) is, when cities want to cut back on water usage, they should start with landscaping.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im still seeing a simple and cost effective option here, especially because all it costs is probably a few hundred calfire man-hours: simply imminent domain and then burn every almond orchard in the state after banning any further orchards. this will both save far more water (although not on the urban local level, I guess) and probably cost less than regulating landscapers (well, if they actually did it. i recall last time there was state water restrictions absolutely nobody got fined). it's also probably more popular.

not that I don't think landscaping is stupid and largely should be restricted on principle, I just hate farmers more than I hate people's stupid imported grass lawns

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We could probably do well to do come kind of incentive-based works project switching from sprinklers to drip feeds

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

FilthyImp posted:

We could probably do well to do come kind of incentive-based works project switching from sprinklers to drip feeds

Drip feeds don't reduce water usage, they just allow farmer to plant more land with the same water. If they run out of land, they sell the water to someone else, who uses it. Water efficiency is really besides the point when talking about Ag water usage.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FilthyImp posted:

...for means-tested, underserved communities.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Are there environmentally friendly methods to build more water storage capacity in the fewer good rain years near metro areas? I assume it's expensive and will take a long time, if possible. Let's start working on that now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FilthyImp posted:

You do know California already is? From a sprinkler site, but the data are accurate.

droll posted:

Are there environmentally friendly methods to build more water storage capacity in the fewer good rain years near metro areas? I assume it's expensive and will take a long time, if possible. Let's start working on that now.
Um. It's called a reservoir, and they take up a lot of land. And would take up much the same amount of cubic space in tanks. Water storage capacity works better in climates where it rains regularly and you're just evening out the gaps. Much of California has a "Mediterranean climate" where there's no significant rain for six months. Six months' worth of water consumption is a lot to store, and we aren't even getting the rain we used to two decades ago.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychomax
Apr 4, 2009
I'm starting to get the feeling that all these water saving mandates are for the sole purpose of... freeing up more water for the almond orchards and other water vampires...