Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I think trying to Godwin Captain America is unfair because the dude has literally been fighting Nazis nonstop since he was 20 including the uncomfortable period of time he was sorta-cloned/sorta-transformed into a Nazi himself.

And even then while he himself was a Nazi, Steve killed the Red Skull. You just can't stop that dude from fightin' Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I thought Godwin was the idea that the first person to use Nazis as an analogy loses the argument. (Which worked better when literal Nazis weren't so much of a thing)

Godwin's law wasn't that anyone loses the argument, it was just that Nazi analogies were an inevitable element of any online (specifically on Usenet) argument that stretched on long enough. Later corollaries added that once you hit Nazi accusations, there was nowhere for the argument to go from there and the argument should be considered closed, and then that became "whoever invokes it loses," but that's not really what Godwin was observing. It's much more about how internet forums are not a good platform for sustained debate and that users turn to memetic hammers (Hitler analogies, but also, as Mike Godwin observed back in 1994, Godwin's Law itself) rather than any attempt to persuade or communicate. It's much more about how internet debate falls into predictable, tedious ruts.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Steve is unusually sassy in United States of Captain America. It's a slightly strange take on the character.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

TwoPair posted:

ANNNYWAY, here's a page from United States of Captain America #4

I recognize Falcon, Winter Soldier, and of course Steve Rodgers Cap. Who are the other three? I take it the guy in the black(-ish) suit in the first panel is US Agent?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MH Knights posted:

I recognize Falcon, Winter Soldier, and of course Steve Rodgers Cap. Who are the other three? I take it the guy in the black(-ish) suit in the first panel is US Agent?

Original Caps, do not steal.

The premise of the series is that there are a bunch of minor league Caps inspired by Steve and they're being attacked by someone impersonating Steve. Those two are the Captain America of the railways and the Fil-Am Cap.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Original Caps, do not steal.

The premise of the series is that there are a bunch of minor league Caps inspired by Steve and they're being attacked by someone impersonating Steve. Those two are the Captain America of the railways and the Fil-Am Cap.

Captain America of the Railways? So there's a Hobo Captain America?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ManiacClown posted:

Captain America of the Railways? So there's a Hobo Captain America?

Please tell me he's got a connection to Woody Guthrie and "this machine kills fascists"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

Steve is unusually sassy in United States of Captain America. It's a slightly strange take on the character.

Written by a man who shares a name with a crying nazi

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

I know it'll be something ludicrous in reality like "Clark uses his super-breath to make the bottle never stop" but like... what is the outcome supposed to be here? Like... I don't see any way that isn't like 80% sapphic make-out sesh, which go girls, get you some, but not sure how that boosts Clark's ego?
The issue plays by some rule where they ignore any non-hetero spin. A boy in a later issue's letters page informed the writers that if the bottle gets spun three (or whatever) times without a boy-girl pairing, and only one boy is playing, then all the girls have to kiss the boy.

Superboy!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Phy posted:

Please tell me he's got a connection to Woody Guthrie and "this machine kills fascists"
Not so far. He's "just" a queer runaway who got his start as Captain America when he decided to investigate what Roxxon was doing with some other unhoused people.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wanderer posted:

I think he's just sick and tired of all those goddamn Nazis.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

Ok now I want a tattoo of the shield with that written on it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in the newest savage avengers Conan takes Nazi Cap's shield from Kang's armory to use and then promptly dies to the bad guy, and all I could think was no poo poo dude look at what you grabbed

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Suleman posted:

I didn't find that, but I did find this.

By Lee Gatlin

A Strange Aeon posted:

I had some time to find it again, no worries:

Amateurs.

(Apologies for the UI, it was literally the only image of that panel I could find after five minutes of refining search terms)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Not so far. He's "just" a queer runaway who got his start as Captain America when he decided to investigate what Roxxon was doing with some other unhoused people.

Aaron Fischer the Railway Cap
The Cap of the Railway Train

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #109 (1963)

Ravage 2099 #10 (1993)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Ravage 2099 #10 (1993)

I also like giving people a pre-emptive excuse for the many deaths of my children.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Beerdeer posted:

Two from The Avengers #88

This one would have been good even without the typo, the typo elevates it to greatness.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Grendels Dad posted:

This one would have been good even without the typo, the typo elevates it to greatness.

What typo?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Begemot posted:

What typo?

We are seeing Hulk's o face.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Begemot posted:

What typo?
"So cream, Hulk, in impotent rage..."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The manga series Elusive Samurai loves to have cheerful people do horrible things.

she doesn't actually rip his head off

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

darthbob88 posted:

"So cream, Hulk, in impotent rage..."

:thejoke:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, people don't talk about thewes so much any more.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
New week, new Mashle: Magic and Muscles where we get a flashback to Mash's past to see why the latest villain – one of his brothers who was born with a ridiculous amount of magic power – wants to kill him.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
gently caress context

Magu-chan: God of Destruction

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

The narrator is pretty sure no one under 20 will get that reference in the 60s (or 70s I dunno).

I don't get this one. Help?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Those are the Seven Deadly Sins of Mankind. They show up in Shazam!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Defenders #49 (1977)

The Punisher #9 (1988)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

From various early Plastic Man issues. Sorry for bad cropping, not sure how the thread pros create all the perfect panel images!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Darthemed posted:

The Punisher #9 (1988)

I don't know if this is better thinking it's totally sincere or as a bit

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BONKUS OF THE KONKUS is a pro-tier username

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

BONKUS OF THE KONKUS is a pro-tier username

BONKUS CURES KONKUS

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

From various early Plastic Man issues. Sorry for bad cropping, not sure how the thread pros create all the perfect panel images!

Flat colors and halftones look just fine with modern print processes and anyone working on a tpb should be walloped with a rolled up copy of whatever this came from the instant they reach for the gradient key

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

It helps that everyone does digital releases which makes it easier to just crop an image from a webpage. Which is easier than back in the day when I had to break out a flatbed scanner if I wanted to post a funny panel.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

muscles like this! posted:

It helps that everyone does digital releases which makes it easier to just crop an image from a webpage. Which is easier than back in the day when I had to break out a flatbed scanner if I wanted to post a funny panel.

Oh, that would make it easier if they were digital to begin with! I take a picture of the book with my phone and then try to crop it, with mixed results obviously!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Windows also has a built in screenshotting and cropping tool which makes it pretty easy if you're doing it from an actual PC as opposed to a tablet or phone.