Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Probably already mentioned here but the design language of the new 14/16 really evokes the old G4 powerbooks, which were my first ever "I bought this brand new" Mac so I always have a soft spot for it :cool:

They look amazing, I love the look of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Holy gently caress where did 238 new posts come from..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Cupertino R&D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

the people want the SD slot

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

People been dying for 3rd gen airpods.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Binary Badger posted:

Thanks to the notch, you can fit 238 more posts in the thread.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

oh but isnt having a dedicated GPU a must-have for creative fields and anything that touches 3D? like, isnt an integrated graphics chip really underpowered and not as good?

sorry for the dumb question I just want to learn so I can know what the real advantage is of this compared to buying a windows laptop with say, a 3080 chip in it.

Historically, you aren't wrong. Intel chips with integrated GPUs were generally pretty bad. But there's no technical reason that you can't slap together a CPU and GPU onto the same chip and get the same performance. You would just have to design your cooling around that combo. The Xbox and PS5 both use integrated CPU/GPUs.

Apple, by going moving away from Intel/AMD/NVidia and going to their own custom ARM chips, were able to build very high-performance GPU cores that produce a lot less heat. Part of this is the chips themselves, part of it is designing the chips around their own OS, designing the OS around the chips, and cutting out legacy instructions from the CPU/GPU. The combo of all that lets them hit a very substantial level of performance at much lower power consumption levels.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The M1 Pro doubles the memory bandwidth, and the M1 X doubles it again. The design of the M1 actually allows the CPU to take advantage of this as well, so even in single-threaded benchmarks I expect you'll see a significant uptick.

I do like to test real world scenarios rather than just benchmark tests. Like I still work off external storage, and either work off external hard drives over USB 3.0 or a 10GbE server with HDDs. There are other bottlenecks in the chain that can slow things down.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Considering the MagSafe isn’t really a new adapter but more a USB-C cable with MagSafe on one end, anyone know if these machines can still charge with the TB ports?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Also cool they are TB4.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

movax posted:

I'm sure we'll find out soon but AFAIK there were no uArch / tweaks to the actual CPU cores, right?

Nothing confirmed but think if it was there was they would have announced it. The doubling of the performance cores + memory bandwidth is going to give a massive boost to multithreaded benchmarks certainly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

incoherent posted:

People been dying for 3rd gen airpods.

This but unironically.

Funny enough, my original gen airpods started charging again last week after I cleaned them for the twentieth time. :negative:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

gregday posted:

Considering the MagSafe isn’t really a new adapter but more a USB-C cable with MagSafe on one end, anyone know if these machines can still charge with the TB ports?

Yes, they mentioned you can charge from the TB ports too if you want to.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

gregday posted:

Yes, they mentioned it in the presentation.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Holy gently caress, 16-inch MMBPs (ha said it first!) will need a 140W USB-C adapter!

And a $50 Magsafe 3 cable..

Something that wasn't really mentioned in the presentation, MMBPs now have ProMotion display which can go from 24 Hz (lol ripply animations) to 120 Hz.. jeez!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

less busted usb-c ports = lower repair costs. Yes, USB-C is designed to be tugged\break away but Surface devices keeping the magnet chargers alive and thriving reminding how badly apple hosed up. (not technically, they've been in legal purgatory for being a bully)

gregday
May 23, 2003

16” M1 Max 64GB 4TB ordered. YOLO I guess?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Not with these. Not remotely comparable to Intel/AMD integrated GPU's, closer to a 6700 XT discrete GPU in performance.

The real advantage is that the PC with a 3080 will only give you that GPU (and be significantly slower CPU) performance when plugged in at the wall, with fans going full bore. This Mac can do it on battery. Plus, the memory is unified - with the 3080 you're limited in pro apps with your 3080's vram, for the M1 Max you can have up to 64GB of 'video' ram accessible by your app, as they're no distinction between video/cpu memory.

Do we know for sure that we'll get full performance on battery? I'm a bit skeptical that the 10-core CPU 32-core GPU version will run the same speed off of battery. They are packing in 96W and 140W chargers for a reason.

Based off of the charts they showed, the CPU maxes out at 30W, the GPU at 60W. The 14" has a 70-watt-hour battery and the 16" a 100-watt-hour. Battery isn't going to last too long on these when doing intensive tasks. These are high power parts, not at all like the base M1 Macs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Martytoof posted:

Probably already mentioned here but the design language of the new 14/16 really evokes the old G4 powerbooks, which were my first ever "I bought this brand new" Mac so I always have a soft spot for it :cool:

VERY :same:

Love the big chonky aluminum. Makes me feel like I have a real machine on my hands. In three weeks, I WILL

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Martytoof posted:

I definitely was not expecting this. My long-gone iBook G4 was my first foray into the Apple ecosystem and this design brings back a lot of memories from that design era. The one-colour keyboard well also kind of reminds me of the PowerBook G3 Pismo, albeit in black and not weird translucent 1970s brown.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

gregday posted:

16” M1 Max 64GB 4TB ordered. YOLO I guess?

Holy poo poo dude congrats and all but wowzers what a price to pay lol

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Recent MacBooks have been doing the thing where they don't keep the battery at 100% if it's plugged in all the time, right? I'm going to be using my new MBP as a desktop replacement and it would suck to be killing its battery.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the new Mac Minis are gonna be bonkers

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Al-Saqr posted:

A mere $5k

gregday
May 23, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

I bought a Pro Display XDR last year for home use lmao

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wasn’t aware there was an event today but I just saw pictures of the new MBP and why does it have a notch? I don’t care that my iPhone has one and I probably wouldn’t care if my laptop had one too but like … why.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Huh, apple will give me $1400 if I trade in my 2019 16", tempted to pull the trigger on a 1TB 14"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went with the top of the line Pro CPU but wonder how much the extra 2 cores apiece in CPU and GPU will affect day to day usage. I'll be happy to run some benchmarks vs base if they're not already available come early November.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wasn’t aware there was an event today but I just saw pictures of the new MBP and why does it have a notch? I don’t care that my iPhone has one and I probably wouldn’t care if my laptop had one too but like … why.

Smaller bezel I guess, and it's cutting out space that is mostly empty menubar space 99% of the time anyway, I guess. Fullscreen apps will need to adjust though, hmm.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
16 inch M1 Max 32g/1TB arriving on the 26th. :toot:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zoom game outta control.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought it'd be a problem, but it really isn't. It uses the menu bar space, and I am guessing there might be an option or an application that will hide it in the form of blocking the top N pixels of space on the display and displaying black for people who really, really can't handle it

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Looks good and maybe tempts me to replace my late 2013 13". Is the difference between Pro and Max purely GPU related? That's what it seemed like.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

so i got one of those 120hz 4k tvs that goes over the newish hdmi and nothing supports it (except the nvidia 30somethings i dont have), will these support it? that would be sick

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

BlackMK4 posted:

I thought it'd be a problem, but it really isn't. It uses the menu bar space, and I am guessing there might be an option or an application that will hide it in the form of blocking the top N pixels of space on the display and displaying black for people who really, really can't handle it

Yeah given its purely the menu (which is blacked out if in full screen mode) it seems to basically be a sensible way to use it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

incoherent posted:

Zoom game outta control.

It’s probably the only Game that will work on the thing lol

I really feel bad for people with the M1 in terms of gaming, don’t get me wrong the specs and integration and use for rendering video and music and stuff is super fantastic so is the sheer efficiency and speed of it all, but I am genuinely curious how high-end gaming would work with such a tightly integrated tech and it’s a shame we’ll probably never find out unless steam really ups their compatibility options. I would genuinely be interested in seeing how I dunno far cry or red dead 2 or Witcher 3 handle rendering/load times and stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Something tells me that with the notch, the guy who writes Bartender Mac is gonna experience a big jump in sales..

(Bartender allows for a second menubar under the regular menubar..)

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

blastron posted:

Recent MacBooks have been doing the thing where they don't keep the battery at 100% if it's plugged in all the time, right? I'm going to be using my new MBP as a desktop replacement and it would suck to be killing its battery.
I think that's now done at the OS level; my work 2018 MBP shows the same behavior as my 2020 M1 MBA.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh poo poo, there's color choices? No way I'm going back and changing it now and waiting 2 months longer. Space Gray supremacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Not with these. Not remotely comparable to Intel/AMD integrated GPU's, closer to a 6700 XT discrete GPU in performance.

The real advantage is that the PC with a 3080 will only give you that GPU (and be significantly slower CPU) performance when plugged in at the wall, with fans going full bore. This Mac can do it on battery. Plus, the memory is unified - with the 3080 you're limited in pro apps with your 3080's vram, for the M1 Max you can have up to 64GB of 'video' ram accessible by your app, as they're no distinction between video/cpu memory.

Yeah the days of integrated automatically equaling garbage are over. The console GPUs are technically integrated and the PS5/Xbox GPUs are pseudo RX6000 series chips.

The RTX and RX do have GPU hardware accelerated ray tracing, but the Metal API doesn’t support that, at least not yet. You can literally put an AMD W6800X in the Intel Mac Pro right now and it can’t take advantage of that part of the hardware.

Glad I never got that AMD 5600M in the Intel pro. That was a ~$700 upgrade and the new pro just blows it out of the water.