Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

The batteries in my Cyberpower UPS are like 3.5 years old right now, I'm loosely looking for new ones (among other reasons reports that they poo poo the bed around that age), except I can't find them anywhere here in Europe, and the very verrrry few shops that have them listed are all out of stock. Awesome.

I'm about to rage buy an APC. But the next best sinewave one of theirs with the same capacity is nearly 500 eurobux.

Cyber power doesn’t make the battery cells, just rip the battery open, look at the parts(I would bet yuasa) and buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ConfusedUs posted:

Pissing me off: cutesey animations in mandatory trainings.

Why yes, I do want to be lectured about how not to sexually harass people by an animated plant named Phil O'Dendron. Who wouldn't? Hahahahhakillme

One of the harassment trainings I took recently had mixed live actors with animated characters. It was surreal and disturbing from a purely aesthetic perspective but two moments really stuck out to me:

At the beginning there was a scene with a real life woman in a suit, and cartoon janitor. The woman was introducing the entire course and how sexual harassment is not okay no matter who does it and who it's done to. At the end of her intro the businesswoman turns to the cartoon janitor and tells him, "You missed a spot! :D" Okay great, not okay to sexually harass, but if you want to be a complete shitheel legally feel free to rub someone's nose in the wealth and class disparity between you. Way to set the tone, anti-harassment training writers.

The other moment was at the end of one of the sections, where the (again, real-life actor) businesswoman ERASED one of the cartoon characters from the scene. It wasn't to prove a point about how you lose good people when you let harassment go on or anything nominally clever like that, it was just for a scene transition. It was mildly horrifying. Maybe next time she should bring out a barrel of Dip to throw the toon into.

It was probably the weirdest training I've ever taken. I'm sure the intention with the mixed real life and cartoon aesthetic was to make it memorable. Which I guess they succeeded at, but maybe a little tone deaf, guys.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Combat Pretzel posted:

The batteries in my Cyberpower UPS are like 3.5 years old right now, I'm loosely looking for new ones (among other reasons reports that they poo poo the bed around that age), except I can't find them anywhere here in Europe, and the very verrrry few shops that have them listed are all out of stock. Awesome.

I'm about to rage buy an APC. But the next best sinewave one of theirs with the same capacity is nearly 500 eurobux.

It will likely be a string of CSB batteries, see what looks right from here and then source locally:

https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/ups_battery_kits.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not sure who is more annoying, this vendor or my boss.

I get a phone call. "Hey it's blah blah from blah blah blah. We are here to start wiring for the door security system....also we brought over jimbob a new guy who's never been here before so he needs safety traing."

My boss is in a meeting so I have to go let them in the building. Thanks for the heads up!

Guess what? Your new guy gets to sit in the lobby until we get him safety trained and US citizen verified. I have to go find the EH&S girl and look like an idiot asking her to get your guy through the process ASAP.

First question they ask, "hey, where do these 3 PA speakers go?"

No idea man. Nobody told me you were coming out here, nobody told me we were adding PA speakers....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fucktard MSP.

Just blocked RDP on our entire network.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A vendor wants to have a troubleshooting session with me. Problem is they are based in the US so all their requests are at 8pm in the evening.

Not happening friends.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Bob Morales posted:

Fucktard MSP.

Just blocked RDP on our entire network.

Yikes, it's not like you can't limit RDP to a specific set of high-access users in a security group

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s as stupid as blocking powershell, maybe even more so.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I get a phone call. "Hey it's blah blah from blah blah blah. We are here to start wiring for the door security system....also we brought over jimbob a new guy who's never been here before so he needs safety traing."

My boss is in a meeting so I have to go let them in the building. Thanks for the heads up!

Guess what? Your new guy gets to sit in the lobby until we get him safety trained and US citizen verified. I have to go find the EH&S girl and look like an idiot asking her to get your guy through the process ASAP.

No idea man. Nobody told me you were coming out here, nobody told me we were adding PA speakers....
I just send people like this home

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

We have a similar thing with getting new internet circuits delivered to buildings. When we order a new circuit, we tell the vendor that when the installers go out, they absolutely must call the branch first and let them know that they are planning to arrive. If they don't, the location will turn them away. We have this show up multiple times, and one of the installers had a bit of a tantrum about it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lmao at expecting a telco to listen to anything you say!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it shouldn't be this way, but at that point you might as well just ask them not to install the circuit. Getting a circuit installed is a miracle to begin with.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I put “Call B4 Arrive” or “Call 1st” since it should hopefully fit in whatever tiny field comments show up on for the tech.

Unfortunately maybe only the first four characters show up. They’ll call, “Hi is this x? Yeah we’re here I’m outside”. Not happy when I say sure I’ll be there in about 45 minutes. Let em wait then.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

devmd01 posted:

That’s as stupid as blocking powershell, maybe even more so.

We have power shell blocked and next week or so all incoming traffic on windows firewall will be blocked. No ping/admin share/RDP (except through a single service).

It’s the worst

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Do you want shadow it? Because that’s how you get shadow it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Blocking access to ping and stopping a quick trip to the command prompt to troubleshoot have to be the quickest way to generate negative returns on the time put into making those changes

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
but security guys

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have you considered upgrading to IBM Selectric and HP 97 for your staff?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SlowBloke posted:

Cyber power doesn’t make the battery cells, just rip the battery open, look at the parts(I would bet yuasa) and buy them.
Thanks for pointing out a fact that I should have thought of myself. :downs: I was looking specifically for their product numbers. Apparently it's indeed just some stupid standard form factor and connector. I found new batteries.

Naramyth posted:

We have power shell blocked and next week or so all incoming traffic on windows firewall will be blocked. No ping/admin share/RDP (except through a single service).

It’s the worst
Expecting similar poo poo over here. They got the security bug up their rear end recently, and are doing plenty of weird poo poo. Except that we don't have any security guys here. Or people seemingly competent enough not to be blindsided by non-routine.

The only two IT admins we have here, one of them couldn't manage to install old rear end Microsoft software on my laptop, a problem that I solved by sending him a how-to that I googled within two minutes, and the other couldn't solve my ODBC connection issues shortly after enforcing SSL network-wide, which was an expired local certificate, that was obvious from the error message, but I still had to look up (again) and refer to IBM documentation about that poo poo. And it wasn't the first time he saw this error message.

This is gonna be fun. I really wish they'd give me admin rights for my work laptop, so I don't have to deal with them.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 19, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Naramyth posted:

but security guys
EVERY PORT MUST BE BLOCKED EXCEPT ONES IN THE WHITELIST THAT MUST BE REVIEWED EVERY 90 DAYS

My boss: I think I am going to handle a person to handle security

:rolleyes:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Just make sure it's not Mitch.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kind of a related question:

Has anyone ever been asked to do an interview over Telegram before? I can get it (it’s for a remote position that pays better) but wtf lol

Am I weird for thinking this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS YOUR GREATEST WEAKNESS STOP

SOMETIMES I BECOME TOO FOCUSED ON A SINGLE TASK STOP

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Telegram is the chud messaging service these days, fwiw

I’d view it as a red flag that they’re not using literally any other video conference service

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unless I'm mixing it up with something else it's also what a leftie I know in Seattle was using and I'm pretty sure people in CSPAM were talking about Telegram in Summer 2020 so it may be for both sides of the political spectrum that are paranoid about being spied on.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Unless you're choosing to use "secret chats", Telegram chats by default are only encrypted between the client and the server, not end to end.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Unless I'm mixing it up with something else it's also what a leftie I know in Seattle was using and I'm pretty sure people in CSPAM were talking about Telegram in Summer 2020 so it may be for both sides of the political spectrum that are paranoid about being spied on.

A decent number of people on the left use it, but it is not secure in any way. I think the privacy protections are a bit better than a lot of other messaging apps, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

The Fool posted:

Telegram is the chud messaging service these days, fwiw

I’d view it as a red flag that they’re not using literally any other video conference service
Telegram wasn't created with the intent to foster stupid ideology, nor are these people a majority on that service. By your own logic, you ought to gently caress off the internet, by the nature of it also hosting /b/ and poo poo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Oh gently caress off

I was specifically referring to the fact that after a bunch of social media services banned right-wing hate groups one of the platforms they flocked to was telegram. As such a huge number of newer users of telegram are those same people, much more so than competing services.

I went on to say that a company using telegram for an interview instead of Zoom, Teams, WebEx, Hangouts, et al. would be a red flag for me for that reason.

Again, gently caress off.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Kind of a related question:

Has anyone ever been asked to do an interview over Telegram before? I can get it (it’s for a remote position that pays better) but wtf lol

Am I weird for thinking this?

So... Someone I knew went in for this, and it ended up being a scam. I would look really, really hard at any company that conducts it's business through Telegram.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Raerlynn posted:

So... Someone I knew went in for this, and it ended up being a scam. I would look really, really hard at any company that conducts it's business through Telegram.

That reminds me of another thing. Telegram is getting some bad press right now for absolutely refusing to acknowledge or moderate scamming on their platform. There are a bunch of accounts impersonating celebrities or other public personalities to push crypto scams.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I ditched Telegram a while back, Signal seems to be the new hotness :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wibla posted:

I ditched Telegram a while back, Signal seems to be the new hotness :v:

The two folks who keep bugging me to use signal... are people I know who have always been sus as gently caress. I just assumed it was for trumpers or something.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

Oh gently caress off

I was specifically referring to the fact that after a bunch of social media services banned right-wing hate groups one of the platforms they flocked to was telegram. As such a huge number of newer users of telegram are those same people, much more so than competing services.

I went on to say that a company using telegram for an interview instead of Zoom, Teams, WebEx, Hangouts, et al. would be a red flag for me for that reason.

Again, gently caress off.

telegram is sketchy because it, obviously, has no management capabilities and you’d expect a real business to use a real comms platform.

But just because bad people use an app doesn’t mean you’re a bad person for using the app.

Also signal is great. Funded by the CIA, but otherwise great. It’s my go to app for encrypted communications, and all of my family is on it and uses it regularly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

telegram is sketchy because it, obviously, has no management capabilities and you’d expect a real business to use a real comms platform.

The people that are using it are using it because of the lack of management.

quote:

But just because bad people use an app doesn’t mean you’re a bad person for using the app.

That is not at all what I’m saying.

quote:

Also signal is great. Funded by the CIA, but otherwise great. It’s my go to app for encrypted communications, and all of my family is on it and uses it regularly.

Signal is good. It and iMessage are probably the most secure messaging apps available right now.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Ahh Server 2016...why must you take so loving long to do updates.

This VM has been sitting on 100% complete for 30 minutes now. I want to go to bed soon. All services seem to be up and running - I might just leave it and hope it doesn't poo poo the bed overnight.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

The two folks who keep bugging me to use signal... are people I know who have always been sus as gently caress. I just assumed it was for trumpers or something.

Been using signal for 4 years, evangelizing to get everyone I know on it, and other than the episode this past January when everyone in India deserted WhatsApp and crashed Signal's servers for a week (they went from something like 50,000 users to 500,000 in a week), it's great.

Sadly you can't stop assholes and idiots from using an open platform, so there's probably a fair share of them using Signal, but at least it's not really meant to be a chatroom platform like I think Telegram is, it's more individual-to-individual messaging, which keeps down its potential for spreading misinformation easily.

(gently caress Trump, in case that needs to be said, or really, just because everyone should say it all the time)

The Iron Rose posted:

Also signal is great. Funded by the CIA, but otherwise great.

I didn't know this but after doing some research, I think "funded by the CIA" is slightly misleading, or at least gives a misleading impression. As detailed here, the reality is an arm of the government gave funding through an alphabet soup of sub-agencies to a bunch of different technology companies to bolster Internet freedom projects. And yes, that arm of the government oversees a bunch of various projects from the 50s that were started by the CIA and were absolutely pro-American propaganda organs during the Cold War, and some of those projects are still going as part of the US government's soft-power initiatives. However, the CIA didn't write the software and the whole point of the government's interest in this kind of thing is to enable activists in other countries to communicate effectively to try and bring about regime change in those countries (they also pumped funding into Tor and email encryption). Which, as I think the NSA and CIA understand all too well, wouldn't work if there were a backdoor (which is, no matter if you didn't mean to suggest that, absolutely the intimation when someone mentions something's being funded by those agencies), because any backdoor will ultimately be discovered and render those programs useless for their intended goal. Bottom line is government intentions, even MIC intentions, are not always 100% evil - look at the medium in which we're posting this, which wouldn't have come about, or at least not when it did, if the military hadn't wanted a reliable communications network. As always, a healthy dose of understanding nuance and that very few things are purely good or purely evil goes a long way. And that said, I'm not trying to attack you for being un-nuanced, just pointing all this out as others may not look for the nuance before kneejerking.

wooops yes #7 with large coke and fries please

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Whipstickagostop posted:

Ahh Server 2016...why must you take so loving long to do updates.

This VM has been sitting on 100% complete for 30 minutes now. I want to go to bed soon. All services seem to be up and running - I might just leave it and hope it doesn't poo poo the bed overnight.

The first time I updated our then new 2016 VMs I thought something was wrong with the hosts causing the VMs to run poo poo slow.

But then nope.. I found out 2016 just REALLY sucks at installing updates.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

quote:

We will never initiate contact with you by text message or chat application. We will only contact you by phone or email. If you receive a communication that you believe to be suspicious or fraudulent, please forward it to us immediately at EMAIL

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Signal owns, been pushing it hard in the last year. Converted most of my group texts to it instead which is great because now can share gifs and do easy voice chat