Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Bouncing around Star Trek TNG at night and I got to the episode Future Imperfect the episode where Riker is in "the future" and the only thing they changed on the uniforms are the command bars are now on the Starfleet Logo on the uniform and I think I like it better than command pips. Also, lol that that is the only thing in the future they changed.

The bridge looks a tiny bit different too :eng101:

Also in the Remaster/BluRay/Netflix/P+ version they updated the text on Riker's command history profile he reads on one of the PADDs to include a reference to the USS Titan. Which, while nice, is kind of dumb because it ruins the reveal at the end by making the simulation appear actually clairvoyant because the Titan is still nearly ten years in the actual future from Future Imperfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MikeJF posted:

One thing that's really missing from Trek in retrospect is we never even see, like, the Federation equivalent of a Boeing 737 or an airbus A320. Like yeah we see a few little bespoke transports but there's gotta be a bunch of generic mass produced large ships doing the regular runs between every single Federation planet and it'd be such a key part of their civilisation and it's totally missing.

Maybe the Olympic class hospital ships like the USS Pasteur are a converted civilian starliner design. The largest ship sunk in the first world war was the hospital ship Britannic, a converted White Star line Olympic class ocean liner.

You could put a really cool atrium in the middle of that sphere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fornax Disaster posted:

Maybe the Olympic class hospital ships like the USS Pasteur are a converted civilian starliner design. The largest ship sunk in the first world war was the hospital ship Britannic, a converted White Star line Olympic class ocean liner.

Or the sphere could be a space maximization thing for having concentric rings of hospital beds and/or rooms stacked on top of each other for like 15 or 16 decks worth of space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

You could put a really cool atrium in the middle of most saucers, too, to be fair. (In fact the EU stuff generally has enormous town-sized atriums in the middle of any stations with mushrooms or saucers.)

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

One thing that's really missing from Trek in retrospect is we never even see, like, the Federation equivalent of a Boeing 737 or an airbus A320. Like yeah we see a few little bespoke transports but there's gotta be a bunch of generic mass produced large ships doing the regular runs between every single Federation planet and it'd be such a key part of their civilisation and it's totally missing.
The USS Jenolan from "Relics" might be what you're looking for. While it always gave the impression of being a TMP-era runabout in the episode, the actual model they built had multiple rows of windows, so in-universe it's something like 230 meters long.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
If the Jenolan had "USS" in its name, doesn't that make it military?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Starfleet-operated, at least.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wasn't the Kelvin in '09 acting as a transport of some kind? Because IIRC it seemed to have an absolute shitload of civilians aboard, as well as enough shuttles to hold them all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hollismason posted:

Bouncing around Star Trek TNG at night and I got to the episode Future Imperfect the episode where Riker is in "the future" and the only thing they changed on the uniforms are the command bars are now on the Starfleet Logo on the uniform and I think I like it better than command pips. Also, lol that that is the only thing in the future they changed.

As someone who (briefly) served in the military, the pips always struck me as WAY too subtle. The Air Force experimented with the rank simply being listed on a chest badge with name and stuff, and it was too hard to know who to salute and poo poo so they brought back stripes and shoulderboards.

That said since Starfleet is more egalitarian and "not a military" (just the heavily armed force with a hierarchal rank structure that fights the UFP's wars and polices its borders...) they probably don't care as much if you can't tell at a glance the difference between a CDR and CAPT.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Payndz posted:

Wasn't the Kelvin in '09 acting as a transport of some kind? Because IIRC it seemed to have an absolute shitload of civilians aboard, as well as enough shuttles to hold them all.

I always chalked that up to JJ math

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Watching a lot of S1/2 TNG and man they sure do love running in to sub-light ships in the middle of nowhere. A lot of species like to get on to a spaceship and sail out to the edge of their solar system to starve.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What are some good eps in the vein of Who Watches the Watchers? Kid really liked that and wanted to watch it AGAIN, but I'd like to branch out to other eps that explore different characters in the foreground.

Pen Pals and the Worf's Brother one off the top of my head. Though the Worf's Brother one has Picard turn into a monstrous rear end in a top hat interpreting the PD and the script even has his back making one of the forehead aliens literally die of shock when they see a computer or whatever.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I always assumed runabouts being p much StarFleet generic multi use Army Hummers. So I assumed they have similar crafts for in federation space for civilians .

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zedd posted:

I always assumed runabouts being p much StarFleet generic multi use Army Hummers. So I assumed they have similar crafts for in federation space for civilians .

Trying to back my sensible efficient type 6 out of spacedock while two loving douchebags dock their runabouts on either side of me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Trying to back my sensible efficient type 6 out of spacedock while two loving douchebags dock their runabouts on either side of me.

I set mine up to "roll coal" by deliberately tearing up subspace at warp 6.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Watching a lot of S1/2 TNG and man they sure do love running in to sub-light ships in the middle of nowhere. A lot of species like to get on to a spaceship and sail out to the edge of their solar system to starve.

I'm on S01E15 and I can't believe we're already doing another "Starfleet sends a dodgy to crew to perform unneeded repairs to the Enterprise" episode. What the hell is the vetting process at this place.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 18, 2021

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Outrageous Okona is a really bad episode, but largely because you can see the premise for a really solid Riker episode in the first ~5 minutes get totally skipped to do nothing of value instead.

Okona could have been Riker's Vash. What a waste.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Zedd posted:

At least a couple of the doomed Oberths that show up on TNG sometimes were civilian registered I think. Those were probably still science ships but I imagine you could cram a ton of passengers into that weird secondary hull pod thing.

I kinda remember on DS9 the Klingons and Cardassians both used the same freighter/transport model just painted different colours, maybe it's also available in a sporty Federation grey livery.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Knowing what I now know about Roddenberry, there 100% is an alternate version of this jazz bar scene where Picard and Riker gently caress holodeck AI girl.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I set mine up to "roll coal" by deliberately tearing up subspace at warp 6.

Warp 6 lol, I supped up my runabout to run off Omega molecule. Can get up to warp 9.9 on this bad boy

gently caress the government and all their sissy regulations. They can't tell me what to do!!!!

#OutlawLife #WWSJD #CalvinPeeingOnStarfleet #Maquis=Freedom!!!! #EarthFirst #KhanKrew #LetTheBestGenesLead

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

Warp 6 lol, I supped up my runabout to run off Omega molecule. Can get up to warp 9.9 on this bad boy

gently caress the government and all their sissy regulations. They can't tell me what to do!!!!

#OutlawLife #WWSJD #CalvinPeeingOnStarfleet #Maquis=Freedom!!!! #EarthFirst #KhanKrew #LetTheBestGenesLead

Hello there, this is Clet'us's wife.
Clet'us passed away this morning, of the Phage.
Please get the Phage vaccine, don't let your family suffer.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
extremely cursed Savers find

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Knowing what I now know about Roddenberry, there 100% is an alternate version of this jazz bar scene where Picard and Riker gently caress holodeck AI girl.

Assuming you mean Minuet, that actress went on to a long career as one of the resident forensic psychs on Law & Order. She was even their first rape victim. YAAAAAAAY

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

they'd have to pay me way more than $0.99

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Marx Headroom posted:

Sometimes I wonder about the alternate universe where TNG was a one-season flop that ends up as a mostly-forgotten footnote in television history. Finding poo poo like this in thrift stores, posting on the internet with “anyone remember when they tried to reboot Star Trek?”.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

HD DAD posted:

Sometimes I wonder about the alternate universe where TNG was a one-season flop that ends up as a mostly-forgotten footnote in television history. Finding poo poo like this in thrift stores, posting on the internet with “anyone remember when they tried to reboot Star Trek?”.

I wonder what would've ended up dominating TV sci-fi in the universe where TNG bombed. I figure JMS probably would've developed Babylon 5 in basically the same way regardless of network or studio interest in finding a Star Trek competitor, but I have no idea if the same could be said for Stargate or Andromeda or any of those weird Tribune shows, if they even would've happened at all

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

I have this exact tape. When I was a kid, a family friend found out that I liked Star Trek so they gifted me this tape, not aware that it's a catastrophically bad episode. I keep it as sort of an ironic memento.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Delsaber posted:

I wonder what would've ended up dominating TV sci-fi in the universe where TNG bombed. I figure JMS probably would've developed Babylon 5 in basically the same way regardless of network or studio interest in finding a Star Trek competitor, but I have no idea if the same could be said for Stargate or Andromeda or any of those weird Tribune shows, if they even would've happened at all

I wonder where the movies might have ended up. Fizzled out after 5 or 6?

Maybe we would have just ended up with that young Kirk/Spock Starfleet Academy movie as a set-up for a TOS reboot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Delsaber posted:

There would be like a decade of no sci fi because "the new Star Trek failed, nobody wants to watch sci fi on tv" or something dumb like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I have this exact tape. When I was a kid, a family friend found out that I liked Star Trek so they gifted me this tape, not aware that it's a catastrophically bad episode. I keep it as sort of an ironic memento.

my big star trek memento is one of those posterboard plaques of a tng cast shot with portrait insets, it is ridiculously 90s and i am holding onto it until i have a good nerd room to hang it on some day

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I keep it as sort of an ironic memento.

I couldn't even bring myself to keep it in my house ironically but maybe I should go back and grab it for the express purpose of destruction. I heard some of the cast wish that ep never existed.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The starship exploring the far reaches of space while full of children has put the children in danger

Edit: some of these kids clearly hated their parents cause they sure as poo poo don’t seem to be sad to have been kidnapped

Edit: holy lol at the old dude that demands the sad child play happy music like Homer to Lisa after Bleeding Gums died

Edit: Wesley has unionized the children. Harry is clearly a strike breaker.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 19, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They even got Geoffrey Holder in for the episode. I think that's the only thing of his he's ever done that I'd never watch again.

Why couldn't of they gotten him for a good episode, or you know at the least not a unique terrible one :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I found a Star Trek TNG episode I haven't watched like 3 times. Geordi's turned into a chameleon and they're all like "Our technology can't find him".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The starship exploring the far reaches of space while full of children has put the children in danger

Edit: some of these kids clearly hated their parents cause they sure as poo poo don’t seem to be sad to have been kidnapped

Edit: holy lol at the old dude that demands the sad child play happy music like Homer to Lisa after Bleeding Gums died

I saw a comment on YouTube a while back to the effect of "You want to call Discovery needlessly dark and edgy? Motherfucker, there were CHILDREN on the Enterprise-D and Picard tires to scuttle the ship about once a month. Think about that one..."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Edit: Wesley has unionized the children. Harry is clearly a strike breaker.

I love that they're an entire planet suffering from sterility, so their solution is to kidnap, like, maybe a dozen children. I know Star Trek and science fiction always has trouble with scale, but this seemed like a particularly ridiculous example.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

What are some good eps in the vein of Who Watches the Watchers? Kid really liked that and wanted to watch it AGAIN, but I'd like to branch out to other eps that explore different characters in the foreground.

Pen Pals and the Worf's Brother one off the top of my head. Though the Worf's Brother one has Picard turn into a monstrous rear end in a top hat interpreting the PD and the script even has his back making one of the forehead aliens literally die of shock when they see a computer or whatever.

Are you okay with going outside TNG? Voyager has a couple of episodes in a similar vein with Blink of an Eye and Muse, maybe even False Profits. Do not mistakenly put on the DS9 episode The Muse!

As a kid I was super intrigued by TNG's Emergence. Same with The Chase. Ship in a Bottle blew my mind the first time I saw it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doggles posted:

Are you okay with going outside TNG? Voyager has a couple of episodes in a similar vein with Blink of an Eye and Muse, maybe even False Profits. Do not mistakenly put on the DS9 episode The Muse!

As a kid I was super intrigued by TNG's Emergence. Same with The Chase. Ship in a Bottle blew my mind the first time I saw it.

Blink of an Eye and Muse are both really good. Like not just really good "...for Voyager", but two really good episodes of Trek period. The interplay between B'Elanna and the playwright in Muse is fun as hell and it's a nice metaphorical auto-biographical piece of Joe Menosky looking back at his time as a writer for Trek before Voyager came to an end.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Devil's advocate: Code of Honor isn't that bad a premise or story. Everything wrong with it is casting and set design. If they, like, lizard men or something, it would be a decent, if unimportant, episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

Devil's advocate: Code of Honor isn't that bad a premise or story. Everything wrong with it is casting and set design. If they, like, lizard men or something, it would be a decent, if unimportant, episode.

Not quite true. That covers about half of it, but half the episode is the Oriental harem fantasy trope with Yar and the other lady ending up in ritual combat for a male ruler’s benefit and station. That part directly hangs on the people of the week being an Other that seeks to capture and rape White women and wouldn’t work at all if they were lizard men instead. (Any charged language in the previous sentences is coming from feminist media criticism: harem fantasies aren’t anime and I don’t mean that the writers of Code of Honor were explicitly connoting rape as a part of that society.)