Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kin posted:

Aha, I saw him do that cross screen lunge a lot. So the trick is to counter that rather than the taunt.

As for the second stage, you're basically saying to treat it like sonic the hedgehog rather than shoot missiles at him?

Nah you shoot him once he’s done his attack motion

Charge up the storm middles and wait until he’s run himself out.

You don’t really need to be aggressive on form 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Samus is a kaizo ningen - an altered human. I'm sure an x-ray would be pretty gnarly. But you don't need the power suit to be screwed into her bones for the situation at the start of Fusion to be dangerous. Synthetic muscle could have been heat-fused to skin, or a surface-contact nerve uplink could have been at risk of overload.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Having just beat it yeah Phase 2 requires patience. I had a bitch of a time trying to tell the difference between his small beam and the big one.

One of the things I learned to do was just drop out of space jump and blast him with a charge beam on the way down when he did the small beam around the room.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just finished it! 10:16 / 100% items. Final Boss was great, and not nearly as hard as I was expecting them to be. 100% was pretty breezy, only a couple of the shinespark puzzles tripped me up. Great game, will have to try hard mode sometime soon.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Re: final boss First phase, if you want you can just work on casually dodging (and perfecting that) the non-counter attacks. The practice will help in the final phase. You do a ton of damage in the counters and can finish that phase basically with just those (4 missiles in each black sphere though, dodge back in between shots if necessary). And yes, when he does "come at me, bro" you need to come at him, bro (running melee).

Second phase is probably the toughest for me. Work on telling the difference between the big blast and multi-blast. Get good at sliding (ZR while running) away and phase shifting. For the multi-blast, just go in a circle with space jump. It will maybe be too close near the top, so phase shift a couple times over him and keep going. Attack him at the bottom if you have time. Slide under him (NOT phase) when he charges. I don't remember if the sun is second or third phase, but use a power bomb on it (hope you picked up at least one upgrade).

Third phase is a lot like the first, with a few extra attacks. Be ready to counter, but attack him when available.

Keep in mind he is a Chozo not a huge monstrosity, and thus is like the minibosses. His whole body is vulnerable, and uncharged beams work (great) on him, assuming you can tap quickly.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I do have one question about the ending -- why did the X parasite that was in Quiet Robe's body decide to help Samus at the end there?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DoctorWhat posted:

Samus is a kaizo ningen - an altered human. I'm sure an x-ray would be pretty gnarly. But you don't need the power suit to be screwed into her bones for the situation at the start of Fusion to be dangerous. Synthetic muscle could have been heat-fused to skin, or a surface-contact nerve uplink could have been at risk of overload.

What, are you some kind of doctor or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I do have one question about the ending -- why did the X parasite that was in Quiet Robe's body decide to help Samus at the end there?

My guess is that Quiet Robe, being Thoha, somehow had some sort of sentient control of his x reanimated body.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My read is The Thoha DNA = control over metroids, so that's why it made the metroid suit go away. From an survival perspective, maybe the X sees this as eliminating, or at least lessening the threat of a Metroid. Samus is probably still going to hunt any and all X, but at least she's not a super powerful rampaging Metroid creature? Hard to say if the X knew it was saving Samus or not. Otherwise, it had some of Quiet Robe's memories, and acted based on those, which feels maybe more what the emotional beat of that moment was going for. The game does mention the X can obtain the memories of those it infests, but I though the text crawl mentioned that happens to things infested alive, not after death?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

My read is The Thoha DNA = control over metroids, so that's why it made the metroid suit go away. From an survival perspective, maybe the X sees this as eliminating, or at least lessening the threat of a Metroid. Samus is probably still going to hunt any and all X, but at least she's not a super powerful rampaging Metroid creature? Hard to say if the X knew it was saving Samus or not. Otherwise, it had some of Quiet Robe's memories, and acted based on those, which feels maybe more what the emotional beat of that moment was going for. The game does mention the X can obtain the memories of those it infests, but I though the text crawl mentioned that happens to things infested alive, not after death?

The problem with this theory is that If it was the X in control and it wanted to stop samus, then they should have shut the hell up and let her drain all the ship power and trap her on an exploding planet

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

but I though the text crawl mentioned that happens to things infested alive, not after death? [/spoiler]

Maybe he wasn't actually dead, or maybe there's a brief grace period where an X can infect a dead body that the brain is still fresh enough to read?

I just finished the game and really do enjoy how much Dread was filled with Dread.

EMMIs at the start were worrying to me, even though the checkpointing was generous enough that it wasn't ever a real threat.
Just how disconcerting it was to go through much of the game without morphball and bombs. Even though there was plenty of abilities and sliding took the morphball place (except those times where you slid into a hole that ended up dropping you at least a square so you couldn't just turn back around, that caused more discomfort too).
*gestures at the last zone, all of it*

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The problem with this theory is that If it was the X in control and it wanted to stop samus, then they should have shut the hell up and let her drain all the ship power and trap her on an exploding planet

Does the X understand the planet is exploding and/or the predicament in general? The X focused on the Omega Metroid over Samus while on BSL, not intervening would have been just as effective there, since it would have wiped out the Metroid and Samus. But like I said, I do agree Quiet Robe's personality/memories being in play is probably the more likely factor since that just seems more the tone of the scene.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It may just be me, but I feel like hitting the final boss with missiles in his golden aura form still makes him do his counter-able moves faster than normal.
On the other hand he sure likes to be stingy with them if you keep missing the timing once too often.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm stuck, again, I'm in Ferenia and I have the scanner ability thing but it seems like everywhere I can go is either blocked by a Green Door that I can't open, Super Bomb blocks I can't break or Cold Areas that will kill me. I'm probably missing something really obvious but I don't see it. I can go back to Ghavoran but there's only one way to go there but it seems too... out of the way and unintentional for be to backtrack that much at this point when I still have the EMMI in this area wandering around.

edit: Figured it out. lmao

sigher fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 19, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I didn't realize the final boss was invincible in his golden form... i just spammed missiles at him the entire fight no matter what :downs:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Kin posted:

So, any pointers for the final boss?

So far it feels like a bit of a chore to fight. I thought I'd gotten through his first phase when he fired up the invulnerability but nope, that's still phase 1.

Took me ages to get by it and then the fucker starts flying about and bam, back to square 1.

Is there a way to make him trigger the counter move to get him out of his invulnerable state?

I pretty much had the rest of his attacks in that phase memorised so wasn't actually taking any damage, nor was I dealing any.

for phase 1, you're basically fishing for counter opportunities where you deal damage to him in the cinematic counter moments. dodge his attacks, and shoot beams into him when the shield is in shades of blue/red. After a bit, he'll warp to the side of the room, and charge a big room-wide beam attack. Duck undernearth it (or slide, or morph ball under it) to avoid it, and you'll go into a counter sequence, and if you haven't dealt enough damage yet to reach phase 2, then the shield turns gold, and it becomes functionally invincible. You can still counter his gut punch charge, and pester him with the beam until he does that or does a taunt that you can dash-counter into so you can deal damage to him.

Phase 2, he starts flying, and you're just trying to deal damage to him wherever and whenever you can while dodging his attacks. He has a machine gun burst attack, and you just use space jump to jump around him a bit close to dodge it. Phase 1 can be beaten pretty quickly, especially if you spam uncharged wave beam shots into him whenever you get into a cinematic counter state, but phase 2 is gonna last a bit longer, because he doesn't give any opportunities to melee counter him and he's got more health in this phase than the first. Try to sneak in some charge shots whenever you can, but don't be too careless with tanking damage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The rest of the space dragons and whatever the giant lizard race that Kraid is are actually all really lovely people

The Captain N comics had a member of Ridley's species as a respected Galactic Federation judge. Unfortunately, Ridley impersonated him to get Samus sent to space prison.

(Once inside, Samus informed Kraid that he could spend a month in solitary or a month in the hospital. His choice.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I didn't realize the final boss was invincible in his golden form... i just spammed missiles at him the entire fight no matter what :downs:

I did that at first to, then by the third time I just never fired anything outside the counter window

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CainFortea posted:

A weird thing I thought of playing this game. Some scenes we see the breakable blocks or the exploding alien organ thingies at an angle, and they look like they're 1 block tall, 1 block wide, but like 8 blocks long. Which makes me wonder if this time she doesn't turn into an actual ball, but is more like a big long cylinder.

:aaaaa:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hell yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got 100% in 9:40 (so about 10:00-10:10 even with the boss and cutscenes) :toot:

It actually feels like the harder, finickier shinesparks and training for how to break the game later. Also what the hell the giant lava tube does nothing at all

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

So uh... I've been playing this a little bit, and liking the 0% run.

Really liking :flashfact:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

chiasaur11 posted:

The Captain N comics had a member of Ridley's species as a respected Galactic Federation judge. Unfortunately, Ridley impersonated him to get Samus sent to space prison.

(Once inside, Samus informed Kraid that he could spend a month in solitary or a month in the hospital. His choice.)
Yeah, Captain N comic Ridley and Kraid were interesting because they were mostly normal size and based on the NES game and instruction manual

Also even suitless Samus is a giant towering over her foes and kicking their rear end (this includes a metroid? they put a metroid in prison?)

YOUR CHOICE KRAID

They also showed up briefly in the cartoon and they were very, very different (but I guess more in line with Captain N Mother Brain)

CainFortea posted:

A weird thing I thought of playing this game. Some scenes we see the breakable blocks or the exploding alien organ thingies at an angle, and they look like they're 1 block tall, 1 block wide, but like 8 blocks long. Which makes me wonder if this time she doesn't turn into an actual ball, but is more like a big long cylinder.
Cylindrical Samus

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

tonberi posted:

So uh... I've been playing this a little bit, and liking the 0% run.

Really liking :flashfact:

Nice! Where are those hosted?

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

mastajake posted:

Nice! Where are those hosted?

Hard run: https://twitch.tv/videos/1180606479
Normal run: https://twitch.tv/videos/1180386282

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The United States posted:

Also even suitless Samus is a giant towering over her foes and kicking their rear end (this includes a metroid? they put a metroid in prison?)
really, the characterization of samus has been :discourse: both before and after other m

i've also had this image burned into my brain from childhood and it's still canon as far as i'm concerned

quote:

The Power Suit hides a strong, muscular woman.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

really, the characterization of samus has been :discourse: both before and after other m

i've also had this image burned into my brain from childhood and it's still canon as far as i'm concerned

"You'll never be attacked by a chozo" Was engraved in my mind for decades. Prime and those loving ghosts shook but did not break my faith in those words.

Raven Beak is a Torizo, change my mind.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

I also did this not knowing if it was working. Not like there was a shortage of missiles so whatever.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://secondtruth.com/2010/09/samus-is-slowly-shrinking/

Your Computer posted:

Yep. Captain N's "Samus the space libertarian" who is obsessed with gold and glory and filled with dubious ideas about the age of consent is not ideal, but even there she comes to an understanding with Lana to stop trying to steal her teenage boyfriend. And she is consistent in her portrayal as large and in charge and willing to get what she wants through force.

Your Computer posted:

FeyerbrandX posted:

"You'll never be attacked by a chozo" Was engraved in my mind for decades. Prime and those loving ghosts shook but did not break my faith in those words.

Raven Beak is a Torizo, change my mind.
He's certainly the size of a Torizo. Turns out Chozo are just giant I guess? Makes sense that they had a galaxy spanning empire, they're flying giants with magic technology.

But yes, you'll never be attacked by a Chozo, because they'll all be dead, Samus will make sure of that

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 19, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Your Computer posted:

Isn’t that the comic where they had the Last Metroid shot in the back by the Odious Comic Relief character?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Unlucky7 posted:

Isn’t that the comic where they had the Last Metroid shot in the back by the Odious Comic Relief character?
I think you mean guest star NES Box Art Bomberman

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The main idea I liked behind Houston was there being other bounty hunters out there with Great Value power suits.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i've never read the comic, i just thought the metroid jail was funny sorry

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Your Computer posted:

i've never read the comic, i just thought the metroid jail was funny sorry

Don't worry. The Metroid Jail is a different comic entirely.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hogama posted:

The main idea I liked behind Houston was there being other bounty hunters out there with Great Value power suits.
It's the future, everyone wears space armor at all times

Wow space racism much mother brain

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I assume Raven Beak hosed with the ini file for the varia suit which is why it didn't work with cold rooms this time.

Considering the entire plot of Dread was Samus' Metroid DNA kicking into high gear, my read was that it was making her cold weakness worse, to the point where she needed the better protection of the Gravity Suit to cover for it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

My read on it was that Metroids are the ultimate predator of the X. So if the X were going to go extinct they were going to take the Metroid down with them. So they drained the Metroid DNA from Samus to achieve that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How far through the game am I if I just defeated Escue, grabbed the Storm Missiles, and am now up against the Twin Robot Chozo Soldiers?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

My read on it was that Metroids are the ultimate predator of the X. So if the X were going to go extinct they were going to take the Metroid down with them. So they drained the Metroid DNA from Samus to achieve that.

that is literally the opposite of how it works though. the metroid dna eats x before it has a chance to infect, that's why the metroid vaccine worked in the first place as per fusion's intro. the thing that made samus revert at the end was 100% the thoha genes from bird friend, which as he explained can control the metroid. so sammy presumably just got better control over her beast mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Escobarbarian posted:

How far through the game am I if I just defeated Escue, grabbed the Storm Missiles, and am now up against the Twin Robot Chozo Soldiers?

Eh....2/3? 3/4? You are kind of in the home stretch, and the next two power ups you get more or less blow the game open for you.