Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is apparently dry land still. The father mentions having to go further to do some farming due to the water rising.

I thought he said "to find green"

Which could mean anything, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
They talk about algae blooms dying off too. Green algae, perhaps.

Arglebargle III posted:

When you look at the history of civilization collapse on Earth, the cases where there were really NO survivors are all cases where the necessary changes were obvious and people refused to make them.

:hmmwrong:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arglebargle III posted:

When you look at the history of civilization collapse on Earth, the cases where there were really NO survivors are all cases where the necessary changes were obvious and people refused to make them.

Space Florida, got it.

splorida

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Glimpse posted:

I guarantee you've put more thought into this than the producers of this show. If you listen to the podcast they put out, they're all like "Wow science crazy, idgi lol"

Maybe in this specific instance, but I do think a lot of details and background stuff is being considered by the producers. One great example is a few episodes ago there was a statue of Hari in Terminus. It was only briefly in two shots, never mentioned or referred to by any characters, but when you looked closely at it you could see it was obviously 3d printed because of the ridges. No character has referred to 3d printing so far nor have we been shown it, but it makes complete sense that Terminus would be reliant on 3d printing in the early years of setting up the colony. I thought that was a neat, thoughtful detail.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Maybe in this specific instance, but I do think a lot of details and background stuff is being considered by the producers. One great example is a few episodes ago there was a statue of Hari in Terminus. It was only briefly in two shots, never mentioned or referred to by any characters, but when you looked closely at it you could see it was obviously 3d printed because of the ridges. No character has referred to 3d printing so far nor have we been shown it, but it makes complete sense that Terminus would be reliant on 3d printing in the early years of setting up the colony. I thought that was a neat, thoughtful detail.

There is definitely some attention to detail here and there. For example, Waterworld village's population is 100% black, which was a nice touch. Probably colonized by African states from earth thousands of years ago and then being mostly isolated from the rest of the empire. Explains why there are still distinct skin colors in the empire after thousands of years.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GABA ghoul posted:

There is definitely some attention to detail here and there. For example, Waterworld village's population is 100% black, which was a nice touch. Probably colonized by African states from earth thousands of years ago and then being mostly isolated from the rest of the empire. Explains why there are still distinct skin colors in the empire after thousands of years.

Shame they don't apply this to the accents!

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

It could be they shot all that footage on the water planet for the opening episode, and then realised too late that they just couldn't edit it together in any way that made sense. The pacing and structure of the opening episode was already pretty terrible.

The Empire ship getting shot down was completely ridiculous ("Hrm, there's an entire army down there. Let's hope they don't have even a single weapon of any kind.") but there have been a few writing fumbles like that. I'm still wondering why maths girl let herself get shoved into an escape pod. It only makes sense when you consider the destination the writers were trying to get to. At least now they have all their characters in the same decade!

Someone mentioned why the show was put together. I'd imagine after Game of Thrones every major player is buying up whatever IP they can get their hands on to carve out their empire. This is Apple's big show.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Aertuun posted:

The Empire ship getting shot down was completely ridiculous

And yet it is emblematic of imperial hubris since time immemorial

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The upside here is the 2nd and 3rd seasons usually improve significantly, and there’s a strong foundation (:grin:) in place for that to happen.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

And yet it is emblematic of imperial hubris since time immemorial

Commanded by the failson of an ailing aristocratic family who thinks he can bring glory back to his house by squashing the rebellious rimjob peons and ignores advice from better officers and command inertia leads to their needless destruction.

Happens all the time bruv.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
it's probably been thousands of years since an imperial warship has been used for anything other than keeping up appearances and genocide.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah i don't think the idea that someone might actually attack the ship even occurred to him. like not just that they might have the capability, but that they'd even consider it in the first place

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arglebargle III posted:

. When it was colonized, maybe the tides weren't such an issue. The seas were lower, or the next king tide was in 600 years or something.
Not much maybe, though. The show explicitly says they overmined the volcanic vents and melted the ice caps.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah i don't think the idea that someone might actually attack the ship even occurred to him. like not just that they might have the capability, but that they'd even consider it in the first place

Ah, the classic TV trope of slow rolling Imperial SWAT van vs. “Occupy Terminus” protestors with surprise anti tank gun emplacement.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wafflecopper posted:

I think this is it: it’s so obviously suicidal to actually attack the empire (which can casually wipe out your home system if it decides to) that an attack is not taken seriously as a possibility.

Would have been nice to have had that made a bit more explicit.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
“Pfft yeah right as if these poo poo-covered peasants have anti-aircraft cannons”

-That Imperial guy, probably

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, they described it as a "flak" cannon, right? And yet it took a single projectile to bring down an entire jumpship.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The thing is, they described it as a "flak" cannon, right? And yet it took a single projectile to bring down an entire jumpship.

The Imperial commander clearly didn't do all his crew's loyalty missions or replace the tinfoil hull some contractor installed and pocketed the difference from the contract.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I think they just called or artillery.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The murder knife was flashing lights when it jammed into the ship door, right?
I wonder if that was uploading Hari hologram into the ship.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It did have Hari's blood on it. They kept lingering on the knife everytime she entered or left the airlock so it's clearly important.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

GABA ghoul posted:

That might be true but it's over 12,000 years* after the founding of the galactic empire, Earth being a distant radioactive memory even at its founding. 12,000 years ago from today someone invented farming for the first time fundamentally altering the relationship between humanity and the environment around it, starting the Holocene epoch. So that's plenty of time for phenotypes like skin colour to radically change based on environments, or slight distribution discrepancies to become dominant. That scale, that scope, is one of the many reasons why I love Foundation.

* one of my favourite facts about Foundation is after this massive span of time, a standard day is still 24 hours of 60 minutes of 60 seconds, in the Empire at least, no matter what planet or ship you're on. No one remembers why, but it's considered a pretty good clue as to the "owigin qwestion"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cuz lots of prime divisibility is universally great

12K years from now sexagesimal and base-10 measurement systems will still be in an uneasy rivalry

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Cuz lots of prime divisibility is universally great

Yes, but the 24 hour day base doesn't match a single planet in the 25 million planet strong empire.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
They explicitly had a scene about what numeric base they were assuming in the first or second episode

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

It did have Hari's blood on it. They kept lingering on the knife everytime she entered or left the airlock so it's clearly important.

A clone requires a fresh specimen perhaps? And the blood on the knife was kept in "stasis" in the special liquid that kept Gaal unaged for 35 years? But then what's special about Hari's space-coffin?

Or it's just the key that was meant to let Raych into the spaceship. But it did seem to me like it was 'downloading' or something, with the flashing lights etc.

Maybe it's a dual purpose USB flash drive (storing data for his hologram, initially ripped from the device behind Hari's ear) + key.

droll fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 19, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It looked like every Hologram we've seen so far, so its a hologram. So we'll have Hologram Hari, will he have an H on his forhead?

Also, its probably a good idea in a galaxy spanning space empire to have a "galatic standard time" and why not your homeworlds calander? Even if its lost you still have a standard time.

Something that bugs me about the Huntress's plan, is yea she killed a bunch of wiener scientists and scholars, and took down one idiot Imperial ship, so what? There's probably ten thousand of the same ships out there, maybe if they were trying to disable it so they could sneak to Trantor and do some revenging on the Clone Zone, that would make sense. But it seems really silly from where we are now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Something that bugs me about the Huntress's plan, is yea she killed a bunch of wiener scientists and scholars, and took down one idiot Imperial ship, so what? There's probably ten thousand of the same ships out there, maybe if they were trying to disable it so they could sneak to Trantor and do some revenging on the Clone Zone, that would make sense. But it seems really silly from where we are now.

I thought they were trying to steal the jump drive. But that ship blew up pretty completely I doubt anything is intact

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rutibex posted:

I thought they were trying to steal the jump drive. But that ship blew up pretty completely I doubt anything is intact

Also why didn't the ship have shields? We know its a tech that exists and maybe the emperors shield is something unique to them, but we know the tech is available as the settlement has one. Maybe we'll get more explanation in the next episode but right now it just looks like petty revenge. Didn't the Huntress literally say that people from her world and Thespia saw Seldon's perdictions and decided to act because of it? That's who brought down the Star Bridge, so Cleon the impulsive executor was actually correct?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think maybe they just wanted to see if they could take down an imperial ship. It's been 35 years or whatever since their planet had been attacked/punished with nothing they could do about it. This attack would show that they are capable of fighting back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

I think maybe they just wanted to see if they could take down an imperial ship. It's been 35 years or whatever since their planet had been attacked/punished with nothing they could do about it. This attack would show that they are capable of fighting back.

I guess you can see it as killing a tiger. It's not going to stop the tigers from killing the odd villager, and there will always be more tigers, but it shows you can kill one. Though the tigers are not going to come back 100 fold and glass you.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I think the purpose was just to provoke the empire

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Also why didn't the ship have shields? We know its a tech that exists and maybe the emperors shield is something unique to them, but we know the tech is available as the settlement has one. Maybe we'll get more explanation in the next episode but right now it just looks like petty revenge. Didn't the Huntress literally say that people from her world and Thespia saw Seldon's perdictions and decided to act because of it? That's who brought down the Star Bridge, so Cleon the impulsive executor was actually correct?

Book spoilers:
Shields in the Empire is one of the technologies they do not understand very well. The emperors personal shield is likely a piece of ancient tech they can not reproduce or repair. The writers gave one to the emperor as foreshadowing, because in the books the Foundation invents miniature shields and gives one to all of their traders. Imperial ships might not have shields, that system could be too large or power intense for them.

Also the commander might have had the shields turned off because of arrogance?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 19, 2021

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rutibex posted:

Book spoilers:
Shields in the Empire is one of the technologies they do not understand very well. The emperors personal shield is likely a piece of ancient tech they can not reproduce or repair. The writers gave one to the emperor as foreshadowing, because in the books the Foundation invents miniature shields and gives one to all of their traders. Imperial ships might not have shields, that system could be too large or power intense for them.

Also the commander might have had the shields turned off because of arrogance?

At least in the books, the Empire's shield technology requires massive power plants, and so they can only use them to protect large targets like cities, cruisers, or whole planets. What the Foundation did was miniaturize atomic power cells so a person could wear a shield projector and every house could provide for its own energy needs. However, it's also possible to bypass a shield with the right kind of weapon.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I suspect, given the writing so far, that whatever her plan is will rely on her being able to perfectly predict what her opponents will do.

I hope I'm wrong.

That kind of writing works in a film medium, but not for TV.

What was the plan if the Warden didn't for a late night wander? Just hang around outside the shield until the Imperial ship turned up?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The Huntress mentioned that they'd been scoping out the town for some time, and explicitly mentioned the kids going outside the city limits, unguarded. It's clear that they were always planning to kidnap someone and force the leadership into letting them in, they just lucked into Salvor and adapted. Maybe they'd even seen her go in the night before and figured she might try again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

It looked like every Hologram we've seen so far, so its a hologram. So we'll have Hologram Hari, will he have an H on his forhead?

Also, its probably a good idea in a galaxy spanning space empire to have a "galatic standard time" and why not your homeworlds calander? Even if its lost you still have a standard time.

That's kind of like asking "why did the warlords of Mogadishu shoot down a blackhawk?"

Sometimes just hurting your enemy is the only goal.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I've read the books a long rear end time ago so I don't remember the specifics of how the space magicks work in this universe, but unless the imperial ship was able to report back to the empire before being shot down, it's possible that the empire has no idea of what's going on other than "we sent a warship over there and it didn't come back", so from their point of view it's potentially much more serious than a handful of rebels loving around

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 19, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The whole ordeal required a lot of stuff to go PERFECTLY to work out.

1: The Empire would need to send a ship to investigate the loss of the buoy
2: The ship that arrives would have to communicate with the colony using unencypted methods
3: The Huntress being the only one with an EMP hidden behind her eyeball, would have to be captured
4: After being captured she would need to be brought to the location where the fence is controlled while the Empire ship is within range of the AA gun.
5: While the Empire's ship is in the middle of landing, she would have to activate her emp (they would not have been able to down the Empire ship were it not so close to the ground at the time she was brought to the fence hub). She would have to do this without knowledge of where the Empire ship was exactly.
6: The Empire's ship would have to have not sent out any other scanners, or asked for a situation update about the people sieging, and thus learn about the anti-air turret, before comms are disabled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

I've read the books a long rear end time ago so I don't remember the specifics of how the space magicks work in this universe, but unless the imperial ship was able to report back to the empire before being shot down, it's possible that the empire has no idea of what's going on other than "we sent a warship over there and it didn't come back", so from their point of view it's potentially much more serious than a handful of rebels loving around

The communication relay was taken down, they explicitly could not communicate with the rest of the empire