Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DrSunshine posted:

I have sort of the seed of an adventure without the actual plot of it. Can anyone suggest where to take this idea and expand it into a full scenario?

The idea is that the investigators are in the classic Cthulhu 1920s-30s era, either already part of an investigator organization or soon to be one. They are called upon to investigate a curious discovery unearthed in a 2 billion year old shale deposit in West Texas.

In the layer, perfectly preserved, is a 2021 Tesla Model 3 registered to a young woman from 2024, said woman's skeleton, a 2026 iPhone 16, and, in the back seat, a 3d printed aluminum dodecahedron covered in indecipherable swirls and mathematical equations, mounted upon an aluminum plate. Upon the plate is laser-etched a curious diagram containing mathematical equations and symbols that are completely unknown to the early 20th century, and upon whose vertices are written the investigators' names.

The woman is a 26 year old physics PhD candidate from UC Berkeley. In her phone are a series of recordings of her last days, and a final clip of the last moment when she found herself 2 billion years in the past.

I don't really know where to go with this idea, but I think it'd be amusing to have the players role play as people from the 1930s encountering 2020s era technology for the first time. I'd appreciate any tips or ideas for an actual plot!
Have the corpses and the car be reasonably 'fresh' but having been encased in some kind of stasis bubble or Yithian slow-time box which was breached by the drillers. (Or something. I'm not sure how deep the oil was back then.)

If there is a charger cable attached to the car, they could recharge the phone for a long time. Long enough for it to be irrelevant for the story, anyway. This will obviously go down if they drive the Tesla, but you could easily have the tires or axle be destroyed. I'm not sure if a Tesla would come on if it couldn't connect to the Internet, but you can handwave that poo poo.

I think the 1920s/1930s could have at least produced something capable of charging an iPhone (it might kill the charger, but you're not worried here for long term performance so much as 'do we have the ability to recharge it so its contents could be catalogued exhaustively.') I'm not sure how hard this would be to derive from the wiring or if there was an instruction packet in the car somewhere.

Any industrial nation of that period would have enough understanding of what electrical engineering is that taking apart an iPhone (maybe provide a second for this purpose) and looking at parts of it under a microscope would probably, in one second, save them decades of electronics development. They would all know what an electric car is - and the chemistry in the batteries would be revealing as well.

I'd maybe move the car to some other nation rather than West Texas and have the locals, either the government or the concerned scientists, summon the party due to their names being involved. The car and the phone would be immensely valuable espionage targets, but that's just where you start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

PipHelix posted:

Not to be a spoilsport but I don't think too much of 2020 technology would survive 2 billion years. If she's buried, maybe a lava flow hit her, but you're still not really going to have any salvageable technology. If she's in a coal seam that means she was buried in like a swamp or bog. The dodecahedron has the power of plot though, so what is your plan for what this is and how it works? It it like a forcefield, temporal bubble or something? How did it preserve the tech but the woman is a skeleton?

I was thinking that the phone was kept intact and charged through the power of ~lovecraftian magic. I was thinking the dodecahedron was some kind of mythos-powered artifact that she, or perhaps someone she worked with, had created, and through it gained the ability to travel through time. Maybe something having to do with the Yithians, perhaps?

PipHelix posted:

Here's an idea, the skeleton is outside the field. Fossilized into the coal, with the car perfectly preserved in a geode-like cavity.

https://theconversation.com/billions-of-years-ago-the-rise-of-oxygen-in-earths-atmosphere-caused-a-worldwide-deep-freeze-139722

Seems like earth 2 billion years ago would kill any modern life pretty quick, so she went back in time, accidentally wandered outside the protective bubble and dropped dead. OR she's not dumb enough to walk out into a deoxygenated lava field, stays in the car but can't get back to the future. The force field of the dodecahedron protected her. For hundreds of thousands or even millions of years until she went insane from sitting in a model 3 and looking at the same pictures on her phone for longer than humanity's entire lifespan, walked outside the bubble, took a big old breath and put an end to it.

Oh I like this, it's stark and poetic!

Hostile V posted:

Realtalk you should look up the scenario Artifact Zero and mash that up with your idea, that would be a neat twist to put on 2000s stuff ending up in the 1920s if the T-radiation exists before it's properly discovered.

Hm, intriguing. I'll look it up.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 15, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Might not be a terrible idea to set the time traveler back to the 70's or 80's instead of the future. This slices off a layer of metagame, since the traveler's tech won't be things the players are intimately familiar with either.

1930s characters "figuring out" player knowledge of car chargers and fingerprint unlocks is going to break the scene pretty hard, so why not make it alien in a different way.

Maybe there's junk mail from the Federalist Party reminding her to register for the 1980 election. Maybe it's a Volkswagen with "PW" on the hood ornament.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PipHelix posted:

So the other PCs first decision was to declare a stray dog with no tags has no way to communicate it's own name for itself and was therefore named 'Spaghetti' for the rest of the module.

He was actually a ton of fun and a surprising value add - though he almost never lost a SAN roll which given his low base SAN to start was highly unlikely, and since he had high INT SAN breaks were supposed to be as his main flaw. Having Track via smell was fun: "Does this person smell of the fresh woodland gravesite we investigated?" "Do I pick up the scent of any humans not currently accounted for at this murder scene?" "Does this supposed person even HAVE a smell?" etc. Helped a bunch during chases and escapes to get a leg up, investigations of caves and crypts to get a sense of what's coming, that sort of thing.

Which was another fun bit, the DM having to describe what the dog did on a failure. The generally settled on premise was that as a semi-feral stray he was about 50/50 interested in helping his friends an 50/50 interested in stealing food, licking his nuts, being rescued from ponds and humping dowagers legs.

Mechanically, how did this work? Did he have an EDU score representing training?

Also, was there any backstory behind his high intelligence? Because, in 6th edition even a Gorrilla only averages out at 4-5 and the max possible is a 7. So, was this dog experimented on, or you just handwaved that?

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

Mechanically, how did this work? Did he have an EDU score representing training?

Also, was there any backstory behind his high intelligence? Because, in 6th edition even a Gorrilla only averages out at 4-5 and the max possible is a 7. So, was this dog experimented on, or you just handwaved that?

My thing is I get real real drunk or real real high, I fixate on an idea till I get freaked out by it and then I put it in CoC. I read the Vorrh and made a Garden of Eden module, Who Do You Think You Are I Am becomes a Lynchian take on the Thing, and I saw this tweet
https://twitter.com/vandelayin/status/831228494931697664?lang=en
and decided I wanted to play Scooby Doo in CoC So this would be a big strong dog, that is also very cowardly (low POW for low SAN) and prone to panic (High INT for mental breaks due to SAN loss). That was about all that PC ever used INT for.

He was "Smart For a Dog" meant he was able to sympathetically pick up on the humans so like, it was fine for me to react to a dangerous person or situation even if action hadn't kicked off, as long as other people in the group understood the danger. But I obviously wasn't allowed to like, decipher warning runes or ask the DM if 'these bookshelves look funny' or something. Fortunately dangerous places usually smell weird and bad too, and dog sense of smell was bundled into 'Track', which I obviously gave him a lot of.

He had zero training, as mentioned he was a stray, EDU came into his gameplay only once, for skill points, so I guess you could call it instinct/life on the streets taught him what he knows? No real EDU/INT let me spin all his failures as him not so much attempting and failing but just doggin around because he doesn't understand the nature of what's happening. Like he tries to track a bad guy down an alley, his failure is he he finds some bins off to the side instead and ends up eating and rolling in trash.

If we ever got to the Garden of Eden homebrew module with that party, since I'd be DMing, to spin off a DM PC (the worst times I've ever had was when the DM retained control of a PC) I was gonna have the dog's intelligence turn out to be real, that he was an ensouled minion of the Tree leading them there all along, to spin him off and excuse him from the gameplay. That party was wiped in an unfortunate dynamite mishap though.

If you're actually interested I can go into more depth - lot of mechanics were game day decisions and that PC died almost a year ago, I'd have to think as to how specifically we waved our hands for this or that issue.

It was also decided that I could speak to animals even if no other PCs could act on my information. Just cursing out Kurovice and wolves and crows and poo poo. Very little if anything of value was ever gained it was just a dumb running joke.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PipHelix posted:

If you're actually interested I can go into more depth - lot of mechanics were game day decisions and that PC died almost a year ago, I'd have to think as to how specifically we waved our hands for this or that issue.

It was also decided that I could speak to animals even if no other PCs could act on my information. Just cursing out Kurovice and wolves and crows and poo poo. Very little if anything of value was ever gained it was just a dumb running joke.
Sure, whatever you can remember would be interesting.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

Sure, whatever you can remember would be interesting.

Yea so, Spaghetti the dog: STR 51 CON 50 SIZ 75 DEX 60 APP 50 EDU 60 INT 75 POW 35 LUCK 40 HP 12 SAN 35

Man I remember him being a lot tougher. He must've gotten a lot of lucky hits, cause he had a real body count. So yea, as part of the DM permitting me the indulgence I essentially threw away two of my best three rolls by putting them into Stats that outside skill points can not possibly be called on to help the party in gameplay.

Just now noticed he got 1d6 instead of 1d3 for his unarmed damage, unasked for, DM offered it, that helped. Oh yea, looks like his brawl was at 80 by the time he died. Probably rolled him up in the 70s, mid 60s at least. He did get a lot of practice fighting. All that and a damage bonus of 1d4 no wonder he was a killer.

The skills I gave him are Charm (doggo), Intimidate (BIG doggo), Psychoanalysis (Therapy Doggo), Swim, Jump, Track, Listen, Natural World. And of course Brawl. He also canonically had, for purposes of automobiles and wagons only, a perfect 100 in 'Ride'.

One thing I got with the DM to figure out in advance was how combat would work. Dogs don't used ranged weapons and they don't take cover, and honestly they don't really dodge too well either. So basically he was gonna be a bulletsponge in any combat, which was fine, it's just an experiment. But any character he could close with and land a grapple on, if you've ever seen videos of attack dogs, they just bite, grip and tear. I believe it was any NPC I'd grabbed couldn't attack any other PC but the dog, and had a to-hit penalty as well - having your knee chewed off by a mastiff makes it hard to focus your aim, the angles involved in punching or stabbing a dog that's taken you down not being great, that sort of thing. Basically I'd started paying D&D instead of CoC and making specialty support combat classes, because I'd found the campaign we were playing (Horror on the Orient Express) to be inTERminable. I'd played a Harpo Marx tribute character in that same campaign who was totally mute so switching to a dumb animal wasn't that big a stretch.

At one point he was attacking a big frankenstein monster the size of a yeti so DM called a SIZ roll, I failed it, meant he didn't get brought down, just kinda slowed as he threw punches at the party with a 140lb dog hanging off his forearm.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 17, 2021

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

I was thinking that the phone was kept intact and charged through the power of ~lovecraftian magic. I was thinking the dodecahedron was some kind of mythos-powered artifact that she, or perhaps someone she worked with, had created, and through it gained the ability to travel through time. Maybe something having to do with the Yithians, perhaps?

Oh I like this, it's stark and poetic!

Hm, intriguing. I'll look it up.

One thing this has me thinking about is Primer, that's maybe my favorite time travel movie. Especially the bit about non-living objects essentially spending eternity trapped in the box. Like if you put a thing in the time travel box and take it out one minute later, it could have spent one minute inside, or it could have traveled forwards and back and forwards again so 2+1 =3 minutes, or two round trips and one forward trip for 4+1 = 5 minutes, or like 1000 years + 1 minute... (This is all in the exposition btw, not super spoily). Just the cool idea that a time machine necessarily means your chronology is no longer tethered to time, so instead of going back a million years in one minute, you can spend a million years moving forward (or back) one minute.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PipHelix posted:

Yea so, Spaghetti the dog: STR 51 CON 50 SIZ 75 DEX 60 APP 50 EDU 60 INT 75 POW 35 LUCK 40 HP 12 SAN 35

You divide these by 5 to convert to 6th edition, right? Cause 15 is a massive size for a dog. That's like 200 pounds.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Charlz Guybon posted:

You divide these by 5 to convert to 6th edition, right? Cause 15 is a massive size for a dog. That's like 200 pounds.

Correct. CoC was always a percentile system, but because of the era it came from it used basically 3d6 down the line character generation for your main stats, so just about every time your stat was relevant for a roll you just multiplied it by five.

Seventh edition basically just decided to split the difference and just have your base percentile roll for a stat BE that stat. Then for those handful of times it was relevant for a character to roll Stat*1 or Stat*4 or whatever they built in Hard and Extreme successes to cover that.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Whats people's general opinion on pulp cthulhu, a store is going out of business and he's going to fire-sale most of this RPG books at 75% off. Most of them are just 5e dnd and 2e pathfinder poo poo, but he has the line of CoC books. It's not whether the price is good, if it's just an interesting read PDFs are my friend, hows the game play, is it worth using?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Would be interested in hearing some play experiences as well, I'm setting up a group for The Children Of Fear to start next month and so far having read 5/8 chapters of the campaign it seems more suitable to lean into an Indiana Jones-type flavor than pure academic CoC.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The Haunting trip report! This was my first time ever running a CoC game, and there were a few speed bumps, but overall I think it went well. Spoilers all about The Haunting scenario from the Quick Start rules follow.

The investigative portion of the evening wasn't too clunky, though I'm certain there were better ways for me to handle it. They started by going to the Hall of Records and tearing through the place looking for land deeds and bills of sale to see if they could trace who the house belonged to throughout the years. Since that wasn't something "official" they could find in the book, I gave them a little bit of additional information from the unpublished Boston Globe clue they would get at the newpaper offices, simply telling them the house belonged to a few other families over the years - and so when they eventually found the Globe story, they had a fun moment of realizing how it connected.

They were also fixated on who initially built the house (the adventure tells us nothing other than it was a "rich merchant" who died of illness). I had to almost say straight out "The guy who built it doesn't matter guys. It's Corbitt - you know, the one the house is named after, the one you're finding all these really weird clues about, the one who wanted to be buried in the house, c'mon guys..."

They visited the Sanitarium and were able to get the one clue out of Macario, and I was lucky because the very next question they asked was about the children which let me have the Macario's freak out and get the orderly to shuffle the investigators out of there saying they wouldn't be good to see for another few weeks.

Then they wanted to load up on weapons. Like, "Can I buy a rifle?" "I need a hunting knife!" "I'm gonna get a small pistol". Since this was a one-shot, I said gently caress it and just let them buy the weapons, but I'm wondering if there was a better way to handle it. Along side the idea of "better ways to handle things", at a certain point I started saying, "You feel you've exhausted all the information at [location]" to get them to stop wanting to spend the next week in the library or town hall or whatever to keep researching and get them to the loving house.

The bed almost killed one of the investigators, and good old Corbitt almost killed another. It ended with the soldier investigator being able to grab the knife out of the air and stab him with it while another one of the characters ran screaming from the house during a bout of mental instability of losing so much sanity in one big chunk.

The players said they enjoyed it! I had a good time to, and I thought the Haunting was a fun poltergeist-ish scenario that took about 4 hours to play through.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ran Last Things Last this weekend. Put Baughman's apartment in Waukesha and his cabin north of Oconto, WI.

My biggest changes from stock were:
A "random" deer encounter where the players had to make observation/drive rolls to avoid making roadkill and complicating things by totaling their rental car (they rolled fine. more's the pity).
Baughman's plea was on VHS instead of a note. Let me really roleplay his grief and anguish.
He dug/cleared a firebreak around the cabin so the whole thing could go up. Instead of a septic tank, Marline was chained in the cellar.
I was going to have a group of hunters drop in on them but things were wrapping up in a pretty good amount of time.
I had the Marline Thing play the terrified innocent until someone raised a gun. Then she started dropping hints about terrible things that would happen to their bonds. Things they would see in the future on ops. Said she could be useful to them, just keep her chained up and bring her to their master. The only difference between past in future is which one their limited form could remember, but she saw it all. They hit her with a fusilade, she proved resilient but still chained up.

They torched her.

I'm glad I included my ladygal if for no other reason than her session notes:
https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1449793346696843264

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ran Last Things Last this weekend. Put Baughman's apartment in Waukesha and his cabin north of Oconto, WI.

My biggest changes from stock were:
A "random" deer encounter where the players had to make observation/drive rolls to avoid making roadkill and complicating things by totaling their rental car (they rolled fine. more's the pity).
Baughman's plea was on VHS instead of a note. Let me really roleplay his grief and anguish.
He dug/cleared a firebreak around the cabin so the whole thing could go up. Instead of a septic tank, Marline was chained in the cellar.
I was going to have a group of hunters drop in on them but things were wrapping up in a pretty good amount of time.
I had the Marline Thing play the terrified innocent until someone raised a gun. Then she started dropping hints about terrible things that would happen to their bonds. Things they would see in the future on ops. Said she could be useful to them, just keep her chained up and bring her to their master. The only difference between past in future is which one their limited form could remember, but she saw it all. They hit her with a fusilade, she proved resilient but still chained up.

They torched her.

I'm glad I included my ladygal if for no other reason than her session notes:
https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1449793346696843264

Somebody needs to get the username NEW BOOTS GOOFIN. Fantastic. :kiss:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Somebody needs to get the username NEW BOOTS GOOFIN. Fantastic. :kiss:

She plays a US Parks Service Ranger loosely modeled on Lt. Dangle meets Ash Williams.

To my great relief she has kept it pretty low key so far.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Has anyone here ran/played Reign of Terror? (The adventure set during the French Revolution.)

I'm probably going to run a game of CoC at some point over the next year or so, likely for a few months. So while I'm aware RoT is a prequel to Horror on the Orient Express, I'm not likely to have the time to run that campaign in the forseeable future. Does RoT hold up even for a group that hasn't played Orient Express? Does it make good use of the setting of revolutionary France? Is it pretty detailed or would it benefit from the GM doing some extra research and adding homebrew content? Mostly just looking to get peoples opinions on it and on what homework a GM might do to get the most out of it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Something to have your archaeologists uncover

https://twitter.com/AlisonFisk/status/1450003555948146688

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_(dog)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorba_(dog)

Yea Spaghetti topped the scales, but Scoob is canonically huge. It honestly never occurred to me to roll him different than any other (human) PC, maybe that would have been an idea. Actually disappointed in myself I gave him SO MUCH brawl. Too much combat skill makes that game too easy.

Plus I planned on him being a complete basket case in combat with anything scary, which, I can't remember a SAN roll he failed, and his final max SAN after passing a few modules was still only 47, never rolled against SAN with odds better than even.
Like I said, a glass cannon, but specifically for SAN instead of HP. If he didn't get blowed up, law of averages would have caught up and there'd have been some good stories of him freaking out and running from, like, a possessed chicken after tearing apart a pitchfork wielding mob single handed.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 19, 2021

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Lucas Archer posted:

They were also fixated on who initially built the house (the adventure tells us nothing other than it was a "rich merchant" who died of illness). I had to almost say straight out "The guy who built it doesn't matter guys. It's Corbitt - you know, the one the house is named after, the one you're finding all these really weird clues about, the one who wanted to be buried in the house, c'mon guys..."

Always amazes me what players choose to obsess over. I'll know I've hit pro-level DMing when I recognize it happening in the moment and can come up with some bullshit to make them feel satisfied they've 'discovered' whatever 'content' was hiding in the municipal deed office in a naturalistic way. Instead of basically shooing them out with a metaphorical broom after glancing at the clock and realizing "Jesus Christ, a half hour already on this loving deed!" which is usually how it ends.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love making siding with bad guys at least enticing when I DM. For whatever reason almost everyone plays CoC as heroic, or at least honest, and if the point is to model mental and emotional stresses, yea. Tempt them with evil. Totally stealing the idea of the cornered monster offering to be an oracle for future modules. If people side with it, maybe it starts demanding 'food', says its powers don't work without a feeding, and so on and so forth. See how far down the road I can get them before someone torches it.

E: Also, wrong game but I don't post in or play D&D https://twitter.com/kodiakjs/status/1443317450901278730

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 19, 2021

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Just lmao if you don't cosplay as HP Lovecraft when you Keeper for Call of Cthulhu.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DrSunshine posted:

Just lmao if you don't cosplay as HP Lovecraft when you Keeper for Call of Cthulhu.

Wait, that’s what Gary Gygax looked like?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

DrSunshine posted:

Excuse you, I cosplay as Garth Marenghi, author, dreamweaver, visionary.

Plus actor.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fill Baptismal posted:

My group of (very, literally done like two Fear Itself one shots)novice players wants to do Delta Green because it turns out the books are in a lending library we have access to.

I was going to run it and the Last Things Last mission seems like a good place to start. My question (and it’s possible I’m just overthinking this, I ran one of the one shots but that’s it in terms of experience) is: I’m concerned that, given the brief of “You’re operatives for a government program that deals with spooky poo poo. See if there’s any here and contain the situation if there is.”, they will immediately see the woman in the tank, fill it with kerosene and call it a day. Because like, that’s probably what you would in fact do if you were in that position, working for that organization, encountering a zombie woman locked up underground .

I’m just worried that that will be it and it’ll be an anticlimax. I was thinking of giving the thing the ability to shapeshift to look like a healthy (or at least not-dead) older woman and create more ambiguity. Or have the family show up halfway through if things were moving too fast, forcing them to deal with a adult daughter who hears her mother’s voice screaming for help.

Have Marlene offer one of them something they can't refuse. Say you have a player who is a FBI guy and his motivation is to make a name for himself. Have her offer him the locations of the top 2 FBI Most Wanted. She's an outsider, and could easily have that knowledge, and in exchange for freedom what would she care about dooming a few criminals.. Bonus points if you can flip the player who is most vehemently arguing for the 20 can salute.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
"I know who your wife visits when you're working. :unsmigghh:"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Would you like to meet your sister, Mulder?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One of the characters has a Bond that is a beloved dog and she was really getting animated when Marlene said "I know what's going to happen to Scruff..."

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I ran a quick adventure out of the starter set for a couple players tonight. Man I missed GMing.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Has anyone here ran/played Reign of Terror? (The adventure set during the French Revolution.)

I'm probably going to run a game of CoC at some point over the next year or so, likely for a few months. So while I'm aware RoT is a prequel to Horror on the Orient Express, I'm not likely to have the time to run that campaign in the forseeable future. Does RoT hold up even for a group that hasn't played Orient Express? Does it make good use of the setting of revolutionary France? Is it pretty detailed or would it benefit from the GM doing some extra research and adding homebrew content? Mostly just looking to get peoples opinions on it and on what homework a GM might do to get the most out of it.
I think it is fine as a standalone thing. I would say extra reading is helpful, but only in the sense that extra reading when doing a historical setting is always helpful, the stuff you're provided with in the book. The provided information on the era is fairly light, but it's been fairly well-focused on providing immediately useful information whilst not sprawling to the point of being a full-blown sourcebook.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

"I know who your wife visits when you're working. :unsmigghh:"

"I know, I pay him to and watch the videos."
"...just set me on fire."

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Whats people's general opinion on pulp cthulhu, a store is going out of business and he's going to fire-sale most of this RPG books at 75% off. Most of them are just 5e dnd and 2e pathfinder poo poo, but he has the line of CoC books. It's not whether the price is good, if it's just an interesting read PDFs are my friend, hows the game play, is it worth using?

Bushmeister posted:

Would be interested in hearing some play experiences as well, I'm setting up a group for The Children Of Fear to start next month and so far having read 5/8 chapters of the campaign it seems more suitable to lean into an Indiana Jones-type flavor than pure academic CoC.

It's very modular so it's great if your players want more action and actually use spells in a scenario (they learn them faster). I'm three sessions into a heavily modified Shadows of Yog-Sothoth campaign and we're all learning to play so I've made the players create OG investigators and as we figure out each character I let them pick up talents and stuff from pulp cthulhu. It mostly expands on the fighting stuff and booze mechanics! Also, all unatural encounters are still scary if you keep the original sanity and skill point rules (there are talents for nearly-insane investigators as well). The setting in the Pulp Cthulhu book is very Indiana Jones.

Edit
Also psychic skills! One of the players wanted clairvoyance so whenever he touches poo poo I don't want him to touch I make him see disgusting stuff that makes the investigator go insane. He still hasn't learned after three horrible experiences and it's great 😀

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 21, 2021

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Imaginary Friend posted:

(there are talents for nearly-insane investigators as well). The setting in the Pulp Cthulhu book is very Indiana Jones.

Edit
Also psychic skills! One of the players wanted clairvoyance so whenever he touches poo poo I don't want him to touch I make him see disgusting stuff that makes the investigator go insane. He still hasn't learned after three horrible experiences and it's great 😀

See that's nice. I'm on record as saying there should be some gameplay down at the low end of SAN, because it's otherwise just a nearly monotonically decreasing bar that is a countdown to PC death. SAN is no fun if there's no benefits to going low. I'll have to check this out.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

PipHelix posted:

See that's nice. I'm on record as saying there should be some gameplay down at the low end of SAN, because it's otherwise just a nearly monotonically decreasing bar that is a countdown to PC death. SAN is no fun if there's no benefits to going low. I'll have to check this out.
Right? This is my first foray into CoC but after listening to some podcasts it seems to me that SAN is just another health bar for alot of players. Some of the Pulp rules try to at least add some gameplay at lower SAN levels. The insane talents will lower SAN further if you fail on the rolls but there's booze mechanics that temporarily stop SAN loss when your investigator is drunk and you can use luck to halve SAN losses so theoretically you could be a mad, slightly drunk wizard that balances on the last threshold for a while before succumbing fully.
I'm trying to lead one of the players into going full balls on magic and mythos stuff just to see how the gameplay works with almost insane investigators if I tailor it for them (half of the first chapter in Shadows of Yog-Sothoth is about joining a cult and getting insane while learning shitloads of spells).

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 22, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Have Marlene offer one of them something they can't refuse. Say you have a player who is a FBI guy and his motivation is to make a name for himself. Have her offer him the locations of the top 2 FBI Most Wanted. She's an outsider, and could easily have that knowledge, and in exchange for freedom what would she care about dooming a few criminals.. Bonus points if you can flip the player who is most vehemently arguing for the 20 can salute.

I did this! And some of the other suggestions that people made (thanks!), like having the (grown) kids show up at an inconvenient time. They still ended up barbecuing her, but after a messy chaotic gunfight after her adult daughter slipped past the agent restraining her and threw open the tank hatch, letting her "mother" loose. Culminated with the academic of all people blowing her legs off with a near point blank crit success with a shotgun, then running around her and pouring gas on her as she tried to claw at them.

We took a casualty too, so I did a little judicious retconning and had the daughter follow in her dad's footsteps by being a federal agent as well, so seeing them incinerate her undead mother was her introduction to Delta Green, and she served as that player's character next session when we started Lover in the Ice.

We had a blast honestly. Very pleasantly surprised. I was nervous given the seemingly kind of overdone bleak nature of the setting and the complicated seeming rules, but it worked out great. First game that actually really clicked and had everyone actively wanting to continue the campaign.

I had enough fun that I went a little crazy and created an npc that I'm gonna make recurring our next couple of games. We happened to have the The Labyrinth book, and I really liked the NPCs there being written in really dynamic and adaptable way, but still with set arcs, so I tried to copy that here. This is the first non-pregen character I've had to actually stat out, so I hope that the stat line and skills I've created are appropriate, and I'd appreciate feedback from any of that have done that kind of thing before.

I tried to model the document after some ones that I had seen on the subreddit, so it's written to insertable in any game, even though I have a particular purpose in mind for him. The length is just because I wanted to have a cheat sheet for myself to use, with a bunch of possible vignettes, and skills to use, ready to go at the end. The TLDR: is that it's a formerly (?) dirty high-ish ranking LA cop that Delta Green has dirt on that they use to make him serve as a very useful but kinda unwilling friendly.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 25, 2021

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Has anyone had any experience with relatively short missions and investigations?

I want to try a CYOA kinda deal, where the main person played is the Delta Green director (or whatever the equivalent in the game would be) and it's mostly about managing an organisation that's battling tooth and nail against the cosmic forces, but also focusing on the practical arrangements like funding, recruitment, getting forensics and autopsies and so on.

And occasionally for important missions, I want to zoom in on the agents the players have sent out and have small vignettes about their adventures off base. But I'm not sure how well the idea of battling off massive cosmic forces would come across when translated through the medium of "You've just called your lead agent in the field for an update, and these are your orders."

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
So it's not technically Delta Green, but if that is what you're looking for have I got a game for you!

The XCOM Files is a mod for the original XCOM: UFO DEFENSE from '93 that melds fighting aliens with hunting sasquatch and deep ones with two man teams operating out of rental cars. The whole thrust of the metagame is working out the logistics of building a covert paramilitary organization without screwing up and blowing too many ops in view of the public.

Name your warehouse base GREEN BOX and your starting squad after the Pagan team and see how long you can keep them alive and not murdered by MIBs!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SageNytell posted:

Name your warehouse base BIG GREEN BOX STORE

FTFY. Also who're the Pagan team?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Kavak posted:

FTFY. Also who're the Pagan team?

Delta Green was written and originally published by Pagan Publishing, who are an eccentric crew.

Adam Scott Glancy, the current head, was on a Twitch stream for their new kickstarter, someone said the word "Nazi", and he picked up a shotgun from off camera and reflexively racked a shell.

Life, uh, imitates art.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

SageNytell posted:

someone said the word "Nazi", and he picked up a shotgun from off camera and reflexively racked a shell.

Life, uh, imitates art.

If I'm not reading this incorrectly, I fully support this and am surprised there's people in nerd culture that willing to be unambiguous about the right and that aggressively so? If that's a 'shotgun rack of support' obv retracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

PipHelix posted:

If I'm not reading this incorrectly, I fully support this and am surprised there's people in nerd culture that willing to be unambiguous about the right and that aggressively so? If that's a 'shotgun rack of support' obv retracted.

No the Pagan and Arc Dream people hate nazis and have said more than once they don't even want nazi's buying their games and playing them.