Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

came in here to laff about google cancelling plans for google bank accounts and disappointed to not find it mentioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pretty sure there was already a good laugh about how trash the new google pay app is.

The whole reason to use the old google pay app, for me, is to choose the credit card that will respond to nfc. And the new app requires so many button presses to just choose the card for nfc.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

came in here to laff about google cancelling plans for google bank accounts and disappointed to not find it mentioned
"non-core google product gets ignominiously cancelled" has become such a non-story that it barely makes a ripple even in the anroid thread

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anroid: when you want to try the latest Google product that will have support for at least 6 months.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dodoman posted:

Gpay does well here (India), but the new update definitely made it perform worse. Contactless cards and machines are a rarity here so this makes up for that.

this explains a lot about why the new google pay is designed the way it is

but it also shows why it would never get traction in the States

No one I know has ever asked to receive money with Google Pay. It's always either venmo or paypal. Although some businesses give a discount if you use Zelle, and I liked using Apple Pay when I had an iPhone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao.

loving gold.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
unrelated question but where does awful.app get the square versions of thread tags from?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

unrelated question but where does awful.app get the square versions of thread tags from?
go ask in the gray forum thread, but i suspect they're making them themself.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

this repo apparently: https://github.com/Awful/thread-tags. maintained by generous goons as i understand

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don’t worry green bubbles, Hiroshi’s got your back

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk who that is or what that means

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaggar posted:

idk who that is or what that means

idk who it is either but presumably it’s some call out for rcs which has been a failure so far

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

idk who it is either but presumably it’s some call out for rcs which has been a failure so far

don't worry, cell providers all over the world will get right on that. any second now

*10 years pass*

i'm sure that rcs is right around the corner!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wasn't the rcs story that every carrier and phone manufacturer wanted to do their own version of it?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mediaphage posted:

idk who it is either but presumably it’s some call out for rcs

Rice Cream Sandwich

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

Rice Cream Sandwich
rhank you

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hiroshi is the head of Android at google. here he is just kidding around but maybe you guys could adopt rcs so we won’t be green bubbles anymore.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

The Management posted:

hiroshi is the head of Android at google. here he is just kidding around but maybe you guys could adopt rcs so we won’t be green bubbles anymore.

there's actually a really easy way to not be a green bubble

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

wasn't the rcs story that every carrier and phone manufacturer wanted to do their own version of it?

yes but now they all have it and the same version and it all interoperates but only because google forced them to do it

i have no idea what the state of it is outside of the us

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

yes but now they all have it and the same version and it all interoperates but only because google forced them to do it

Google runs their own RCS instance and that’s what nearly everyone connects to with whatever the Android message app it is this week, as far as I know. few carriers support it natively and the ones that do force you to use their own apps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Drastic Actions posted:

Google runs their own RCS instance and that’s what nearly everyone connects to with whatever the Android message app it is this week, as far as I know. few carriers support it natively and the ones that do force you to use their own apps.

lmao of course everything runs through google. i'm sure tim will get right on this one

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

i know thats how it started out but i thought it moved on but no youre right only tmo and sprint ever completed the rollout. verizon does what you describe with a proprietary system and app and att has done nothing at all in any capacity

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thecommonsproject.smarthealthcardverifier

The official app for verifying vaccine status for MANY health departments has broken their app last Thursday.

The app complains that it doesn't have location status.

The kicker is that it doesn't ask for the status in the first place, so phones running the recent android cannot grant that status in the first place.

But the real joke is why it needs location:

directly from the app screen itself posted:

When the app is in use, the Smart Health Card Verifier App accesses data about your internet network (SSID/BSSID) to ensure you have a working internet connection. Data about your internet network is not stored.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

lots of angry people in the comments, too. the app has a very low rating for a good reason

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol at the full-court press google is making on behalf of this new batch of pixel phones

im sure that this is the year that google gets serious about hardware. not like the dozen or so previous years where they said they were going to get serious about hardware. this year is different.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the thing that does make it interesting is that they're dumping qualcomm, and maybe maybe there'll be some competition on providing a less garbage way of updating and maintaining devices. not going to get a google phone either way, but qualcomms approach to software has been a huge issue forever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the thing that does make it interesting is that they're dumping qualcomm, and maybe maybe there'll be some competition on providing a less garbage way of updating and maintaining devices. not going to get a google phone either way, but qualcomms approach to software has been a huge issue forever.
they realized that they needed to do the apple thing of building their own processors, and they do have some experience in making cpus (the custom cores for their data center servers), but they have a lot of catching up to do if theyre going to compete with apple in the mobile processor space. how long is that going to take, and does anyone think google has the attention span to commit the resources over time to make that happen?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really think there is zero reason to compete with apple on mobile socs as such, the iphones are vastly overpowered for literally all use-cases (to some extent probably because it was a buildup for using the same building blocks for a full computer chip lineup). the people who think they need a new phone for improved horsepower in 2021 is some diehard freak who will also be overclocking and spend more time benchmarking than on a call with anyone.

my hope is, if anything, that google just licenses the chips out to everyone and we get a good software update story happening for all kinds of arm-based devices. but i doubt they will (as that'd not glorify management enough), and doubt that even if they did they'd carry it through to anything useful.

but hope etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

they realized that they needed to do the apple thing of building their own processors, and they do have some experience in making cpus (the custom cores for their data center servers), but they have a lot of catching up to do if theyre going to compete with apple in the mobile processor space. how long is that going to take, and does anyone think google has the attention span to commit the resources over time to make that happen?

they'll probably cancel the mobile processors just after tapeout because its taking too long

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

does anyone think google has the attention span to commit the resources over time to make that happen?

no, absolutely not

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y72bAm4SvkE

No it's hosed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, seems real garbage even aside from the general pointlessness of how it is aimed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FMguru posted:

isn't qualcomm basically ready to erase any performance advantage apple has anyway? they basically hired away the entire department from apple at this point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

isn't qualcomm basically ready to erase any performance advantage apple has anyway?

based on what? because idk if you've noticed but apple has a rather significant performance advantage.

like, a whole real big one. the kind you probably don't close the gap on in several generations of product, let alone one

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's not out of the realm of possibility since apple is now effectively standing still

https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/apple-cpu-gains-grind-to-a-halt-and

quote:

It appears Apple has not changed the CPU much this generation. SemiAnalysis believes that the next generation core was delayed out of 2021 into 2022 due to CPU engineer resource problems. In 2019, Nuvia was founded and later acquired by Qualcomm for $1.4B. Apple’s Chief CPU Architect, Gerard Williams, as well as over a 100 other Apple engineers left to join this firm. More recently, SemiAnalysis broke the news about Rivos Inc, a new high performance RISC V startup which includes many senior Apple engineers. The brain drain continues and impacts will be more apparent as time moves on. As Apple once drained resources out of Intel and others through the industry, the reverse seems to be happening now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dylan patel does not appear to have ever written anything that isn't effusive glowing praise of qualcomm, so i would be at least a little skeptical

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

what are those monitors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lmao why the gently caress would anyone be a Qualcomm stan of all things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts