Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah despite nvidia’s “it’s 4K ready!!!!” Fanfare, we’re just not there. IMO we’re at least 2 gens away from decent, real 4k.

Real 4k is here if you can get your hands on a 3080, 3080ti, 3090 (and probably the 6800XT and 6900XT). These GPUs can run most of the recent AAA games at 4k/60 or higher at high settings natively outside of a few exceptions (Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator). The caveat is that this is without ray tracing on, but at this point it's still mostly a niche feature.

mA fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

The one nice thing with having a recent-ish GPU is getting to play games from 4-5 years ago at 4k60 with much less issue. I had a great time with Prey and Dark Souls 3 when I could run them natively on a nice big TV finally.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mA posted:

Real 4k is here, but at the end of the day you have to be willing to pay that premium. The 3080, 3080ti, 3090 (and probably the 6800XT and 6900XT) can run most of the recent AAA games at 4k/60 or higher at high settings natively outside of a few exceptions (Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator). The caveat is that this is without ray tracing on, but at this point it's still mostly a niche feature.

The question is how long can these cards maintain that status for, and I'd wager not very. I don't think we're out of the transitional stage yet, and it'll be a couple more GPU generations before we have cards that can run at 4K top to bottom across the product stack, with the lowest end cards being maybe 1440p cards instead. And that's the point when you can expect to buy a card that will do 4K pretty respectably for 5+ years, much like how the 1080 Ti has that potential for 1080p, or the 3080 has that potential for 1440p.

If you just want to mirror the performance of the PS5's base model for 5 to 6 years, the 3080 will probably be able to do that. But it's worth noting that the PS5 typically fails to hit 4K 60 even at reduced visuals, and not even true 4K 30 is a guarantee with some games. That's what you're mirroring (edit: to be fair, you'll be a bit better than that, but I still wouldn't expect miracles). And we'll probably get new console hardware in a few years that will make the base PS5 and XSX feel rather antiquated. So if the expectation is "The PS5 is a 4K console, so surely the latest and greatest graphics cards will be able to handle games at 4K for just as long," then I think the whole premise is flawed from the start. Despite what Sony and Microsoft would like you to believe, the hardware is just not there yet in the consoles, and it's only barely there on PCs (for now).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 20, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They're selling the Fractal Torrent case again.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-torrent-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352143

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The question is how long can these cards maintain that status for, and I'd wager not very. I don't think we're out of the transitional stage yet, and it'll be a couple more GPU generations before we have cards that can run at 4K top to bottom across the product stack, with the lowest end cards being maybe 1440p cards instead. And that's the point when you can expect to buy a card that will do 4K pretty respectably for 5+ years, much like how the 1080 Ti has that potential for 1080p, or the 3080 has that potential for 1440p.

If you just want to mirror the performance of the PS5's base model for 5 to 6 years, the 3080 will probably be able to do that. But it's worth noting that the PS5 typically fails to hit 4K 60 even at reduced visuals, and not even true 4K 30 is a guarantee with some games. That's what you're mirroring (edit: to be fair, you'll be a bit better than that, but I still wouldn't expect miracles). And we'll probably get new console hardware in a few years that will make the base PS5 and XSX feel rather antiquated. So if the expectation is "The PS5 is a 4K console, so surely the latest and greatest graphics cards will be able to handle games at 4K for just as long," then I think the whole premise is flawed from the start. Despite what Sony and Microsoft would like you to believe, the hardware is just not there yet in the consoles, and it's only barely there on PCs (for now).

It's a segmented market. You're right that it's not widespread at the moment for casual gaming consumers, but it is a viable gaming configuration for enthusiasts who are willing to spend a little bit more on a high end system (3080 and up). I agree that it will probably be a while until 4k is the median resolution, but 4k/60 gaming is not a myth. It's here.

mA fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 20, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, GN did a video on the changes they made to the fan hub. It seems like a pretty significant change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1EcppuGxCY

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mA posted:

It's a segmented market. You're right that it's not widespread at the moment for casual gaming consumers, but it is a viable gaming configuration for enthusiasts who are willing to spend a little bit more on a high end system (3080 and up). I agree that it will probably be a while until 4k is the median resolution, but 4k/60 gaming is not a myth. It's here.

Yes, I'm aware of this. You're missing the point I'm making, which is not about their current capabilities, but the long-term viability of 4K in modern cards.

edit: The Fractal Design Torrent seems nice, but at $190, I dunno. It does come configured for optimal airflow out of the box with five fans of fairly good quality, which is a nice value add, but that's still a pretty steep price. It's also massive, perhaps unnecessarily so. There's some empty space between the fans and the edge of the chassis, implying that they could've shrunk down the size a tad without reducing fan size or count, and I wish they did so. Still, you can't argue with the performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 20, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I've already made peace with the fact my 6800xt can do native 4k60 easily... on PS4/OneX gen games.

Luckily the game I almost only play (destiny 2) runs at literally 4k120 almost all the time so I'm not fussed

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NZXT is now offering build kits where you just select a bundle of every core PC component, and they ship it all to you. Basically, all the lack of flexibility that prebuilts offer, with none of the labor saving. Oh boy! The plus side is that you're saving maybe a hundred bucks or so off the cost of a regular prebuilt. They're selling a 3060 Ti along with the perfectly reasonable 11400F and 16GB of DDR4-3200 plus all other necessary components for $1400. You can get all of the parts minus the GPU (and with the IGP version of the 11400) for $640 or so, making for a somewhat questionable $760 price difference for the GPU. There's a version of this bundle with a 5600X for $1600, but that's even more questionable. There's an ABS PC on Newegg with a 3060 Ti for $1300, but that's with an older and worse intel CPU, slower RAM, a shittier cpu cooler, and a lower capacity SSD. So... I dunno. It doesn't seem like a very good deal to me, and the difference you're paying for the GPU is coming awfully close to scalper pricing, but it might be okay if you just want a decent midrange PC.

edit: $1510 for a similar Intel/3060 Ti PC through Newegg's PC builder after rebates, but with the superior 11600KF CPU, and generally higher quality components for everything else, and they build it for you (though you should still double check if they did it correctly). That seems like a better deal than the 11400F/3060 Ti for $1400, but none of these are especially good deals or anything. +$160 for a 3070 at newegg btw, which isn't the best 3070 prebuilt price I've ever seen, but not the worst. And +$230 or so for the cheapest Zen 3 cpu/mobo combo available instead of the 11600KF. Prices may drop in a couple weeks once Alder Lake comes out for both Intel and AMD CPUs.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 20, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Building pc's is cool and if this gets new people to build pc's maybe they won't get as ripped off next time around.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EngineerJoe posted:

Building pc's is cool and if this gets new people to build pc's maybe they won't get as ripped off next time around.

I agree wholeheartedly! I have built many PCs for family/friends and really enjoy the callback to loving-around-with -the-hotrod feeling with a modern twist. I ended up getting a prebuilt just to save myself the wear & tear on my brain a bit, and they even let me sub out for a different PSU. I did strip everything down and reseat all the hardware before first POST, and stripped out the 2x8 RAM for 4x16 sticks my b-I-l gave me a couple of weeks ago. It runs wonderfully and I’m not getting Newegg alarms all day so it does appear to be the best outcome for the money.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Any thoughts on this prebuilt?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Pre...-UW91/692766938

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Seems like a fair price at a glance?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My first thought is that it's out of stock, and I don't know if it's possible to actually find this in-stock at this price anywhere. My second thought is that it appears to have mediocre airflow characteristics, but the components are low-power enough that it may not matter. Third thought is that $850 for a 1660 Super PC really isn't that bad. If these were normal times, you could DIY that in a more sensible ATX midtower configuration for $600 or $650 maybe, so $850 isn't too much of a premium considering the current market conditions. Just don't go into this expecting high-end gaming or anything. The 1660 Super was a decent budget GPU when it was released two years ago. It can still perform okay at 1080p, but it's aging fairly quickly and it can't do ray tracing, AI upscaling, or other such fancy new technologies. Far Cry 6 set to its highest quality settings but with ray tracing disabled will be perfectly playable on this, for example, though other more demanding games like Cyberpunk will need to be tuned down a fair bit.

But like I said, it's out of stock at $850. It's $200 more on Amazon right now, which is a much less impressive price, creeping up towards the cheapest 3060 machines on Newegg. If you can actually get it for $850, then it might be worth it if you're okay with a lower-end machine. Otherwise you're probably better off looking at a 3060 machine. A 3060 would have much more longevity, too.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My first thought is that it's out of stock, and I don't know if it's possible to actually find this in-stock at this price anywhere. My second thought is that it appears to have mediocre airflow characteristics, but the components are low-power enough that it may not matter. Third thought is that $850 for a 1660 Super PC really isn't that bad. If these were normal times, you could DIY that in a more sensible ATX midtower configuration for $600 or $650 maybe, so $850 isn't too much of a premium considering the current market conditions. Just don't go into this expecting high-end gaming or anything. The 1660 Super was a decent budget GPU when it was released two years ago. It can still perform okay at 1080p, but it's aging fairly quickly and it can't do ray tracing, AI upscaling, or other such fancy new technologies. Far Cry 6 set to its highest quality settings but with ray tracing disabled will be perfectly playable on this, for example, though other more demanding games like Cyberpunk will need to be tuned down a fair bit.

But like I said, it's out of stock at $850. It's $200 more on Amazon right now, which is a much less impressive price, creeping up towards the cheapest 3060 machines on Newegg. If you can actually get it for $850, then it might be worth it if you're okay with a lower-end machine. Otherwise you're probably better off looking at a 3060 machine. A 3060 would have much more longevity, too.

Thanks for the thoughts, it looks like it is in stock when I try to add it to the cart. I probably should have given a little more info. I'm looking to help my brother find a computer after his just died. (Main goal is gaming, <$1200) He might just have to build the rest of the computer, join the hunt for a new video card and keep using his old one (R9 380?).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dalstrs posted:

Thanks for the thoughts, it looks like it is in stock when I try to add it to the cart. I probably should have given a little more info. I'm looking to help my brother find a computer after his just died. (Main goal is gaming, <$1200) He might just have to build the rest of the computer, join the hunt for a new video card and keep using his old one (R9 380?).

It's showing as out of stock for me, but maybe it's regional. A 1660 Super would be a good upgrade over the R9 380. The performance hierarchy I use as a quick reference for this thing (The relative power ratings in TechPowerUp's GPU database) pegs the 1660 Super as a bit over 2x more powerful than the R9 380. The 3060 is about 40% more powerful yet. You can get 3060 machines for $1200 or so on Newegg, but $850 isn't bad for that prebuilt you linked (if you're seeing the same price I am). Your brother would likely be happy with either. The hunt for a new video card is pretty brutal and doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon.

edit: weird, adding the Acer PC to cart works from the walmart search page, but not the actual store page. When I add it to cart from search, it shows as 1 unit remaining only. So if you're gonna get that, don't sit on it.

edit: I would probably want to drop an extra 8GB of RAM into the Acer though. And the ABS 3060 PC could use some extra case fans to help thermals (though at that point you may as well get this, which is a bit over budget unfortunately)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 21, 2021

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Had to come back to this later, apologies for the minimal time I had to look it over.

Components are decent and systems are apparently well built. That said, avoid this prebuilt on airflow alone. As far as I am able to find out, the rear exhaust and intake are 80mm fans, and there may be only one front fan mounting position.

lordofthefishes fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 21, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As the resident airflow naysayer, I just sorta assumed you could add more fans to it. But upon looking at the inside of the case (this video gives you a good look), that does not appear to be the case. They also blocked the front fan off with an additional internal fan grill, and then further obstructed airflow by placing the HDD cage behind it. Not amazing airflow, to say the least. Do I still think the PC will be okay in those conditions? With a 1660 Super and a 11400F, it probably won't thermal throttle. I can't make any guarantees, though. If nothing else, I expect the CPU fan to be loud. There's an optional metal side panel with openings for airflow. That would probably help a fair bit, though the OP's brother would need to clean the PC out every few months with an air duster.

The bigger issue is the proprietary motherboard form factor. I assumed it was using an mITX motherboard, but I assumed wrong. It's using some weirdly shaped thing that you won't be able to find any easy replacements for and will hinder upgradability in the future. Basically, typical OEM bullshit, which I did not expect coming from Acer but maybe I should've. This also means you can't do a chassis transplant into something better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 21, 2021

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
FYI, Cooler Master support is pretty drat good.

I managed to lose one of clips holding the NR200s front panel in place and it bothered me. Some guy was selling 3D printed replacements on Etsy, but even if he did ship to where I live (which he didn't), the total with shipping would have been over €20.

I messaged them, they replied within 12 hours and, with no other questions asked, asked for my address to ship the replacement clip to.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this video got me thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvdLey-8HTY

why doesn't someone make a case fan that straight up replaces your side panel? something like this, maybe a white dust filter so you can see the lighting through it. half meter is silly obviously but 200mm, 250 or so?

i've seen people do it with box fans but you'd never get dust control with those. why are we putting smaller fans on the rectangular portions of the case instead of bigger ones on the square part?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Side-mounted fans are not a new concept or anything. They've been a thing for almost as long as tower PCs have been a thing. I suppose there's potential for taking the concept further than the single side-mounted 80/92mm fans that were common at the time. You could do a grid of four 140x25 fans, or maybe just a really big loving fan, but that goes against the aesthetics that are most popular right now (glass panels that show off your rig). And ultimately, it's unproven if that would actually be good. That video doesn't really show anything (nor does it try to, since it's just a silly joke video not meant to be taken seriously). Airflow designs like you see in the Torrent or O11 series have proven to be highly effective, so I'm skeptical that going with a ton of side-mounted airflow would be any better.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

CoolCab posted:

why doesn't someone make a case fan that straight up replaces your side panel? something like this, maybe a white dust filter so you can see the lighting through it. half meter is silly obviously but 200mm, 250 or so?

i've seen people do it with box fans but you'd never get dust control with those. why are we putting smaller fans on the rectangular portions of the case instead of bigger ones on the square part?

Besides the fact that that 500mm monster is absolutely :eyepop: and thanks for posting it, I had no idea such a thing existed, my Corsair case from 2012 had a pretty big 200mm fan on the side panel, and I never had the slightest overheating problem in there (and we're talking about the era of 200W+ gpus and highly overclocked 220W AMD FX cpus with tiny hyper212-like coolers)

I think there was also some Silverstone cases having 2x 200mm fans as standard issue, but can't remember or figure out which model it was

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 21, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Bigger fans are much less reliable because of the amount of torque required to turn huge weighty blades. I watched a video recently by some tech youtuber that said all of the 20cm fans he had had broken down within a couple of years.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Butterfly Valley posted:

Bigger fans are much less reliable because of the amount of torque required to turn huge weighty blades. I watched a video recently by some tech youtuber that said all of the 20cm fans he had had broken down within a couple of years.

*side-eyes 2x20cm fan case to my right*

Eh honestly if it lasts a couple of years I'll be alright with it, case was only sixty quid and it's working great right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Silverstones 180mm fans were pretty good but they stopped making good cases to put them in :rip:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Barry Foster posted:

*side-eyes 2x20cm fan case to my right*

Eh honestly if it lasts a couple of years I'll be alright with it, case was only sixty quid and it's working great right now.

the Corsair 200mm in my old case is still working after 8 years, with around 3-4h/day of use on average, guess I'm pretty lucky :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

Silverstones 180mm fans were pretty good but they stopped making good cases to put them in :rip:

What has Silverstone been up to? I was a huge fan of their mITX riser cases, but it's been 5 years and they don't seem to have updated them.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they make fuckin everything, my coffee grinder is a silverstone. i think they pivoted to more home goods.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Silverstone were trailblazers in the SFF space, but it's evolved rapidly in recent years and they've been left behind.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

Silverstone still makes some of the best airflow cases out there today, along with all sorts of accessories for other cases.

Actually purchasing some of their products can be difficult right now, though.

Edit: They are still manufacturing the RV02-E, lol

brains
May 12, 2004

is the NR200 MAX available anywhere yet? anyone see these out in the wild?

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

CoolCab posted:

The Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced was a full tower case with 3, yes 3, 230mm fans. One in the front, one on the side panel, and one on the top. They only spun at 700rpm and made no noise but moved a lot of air. I still have the case in storage and if I end up building a new computer I think I’ll just use it again.

*edit- it saw daily use for about 9 years straight and never had a single problem with any of the fans. Now that I’ve typed this out, all 3 are going to be borked since they’ve been sitting unused for a year.

The 230mm fan blowing directly at the gpu and processor work really well, I had a i5 2500k and a gtx 570 both overclocked quite a bit and never had high temps.

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 22, 2021

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

CoolCab posted:

they make fuckin everything, my coffee grinder is a silverstone. i think they pivoted to more home goods.

Are you sure it isn't Silvercrest, Lidl's small appliance store brand, that you mean? They use a very similar font and I've done that double take more than a few times.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if I want a new GPU I'm gonna have to get a prebuilt - any things to look out for? I've heard to avoid Dell at all costs and any system where specific components are not listed. If components are listed, compare the cost to MSRP with pcpartpicker or similar. Any UK-specific recommendations? Retailers to avoid/favour?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to bed soon so I can't do an effort post right now. Just click the question mark under my custom title, I've wrote a lot of posts about prebuilts.

The tl;dr is that if you want a midrange PC, then you'll want to stalk the lowest priced prebuilts with the 3060 or 3060 ti at newegg, best buy, and micro center. Try to find PCs that aren't built with proprietary parts (OEMs like Dell, HP, and Acer use proprietary motherboards and power supplies but most generic brands you find on newegg etc don't), and try to find one with a chassis that has decent airflow if possible (this isn't always possible). If you want a higher-end machine, then you're probably better off using Newegg's Custom PC Builder. Their "hot item" GPUs can only be bought there, and are equivalent to normal retailer pricing (lower than scalper pricing, still not very good). You need to buy an OS and pay for the build service to get those GPUs. Their stock rotates fairly quickly, so you may be able to find a GPU for a half-decent price that way if you check in every day.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 22, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

nexus6 posted:

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if I want a new GPU I'm gonna have to get a prebuilt - any things to look out for? I've heard to avoid Dell at all costs and any system where specific components are not listed. If components are listed, compare the cost to MSRP with pcpartpicker or similar. Any UK-specific recommendations? Retailers to avoid/favour?

Check overclockers. I was just able to customise this prebuilt with a 5600x and 3070ti for ~£1600, which isn't terrible. You can tweak it by removing Windows, the HDD, swapping the SSD for an NVMe, bumping it up to 3600 speed RAM and dropping down to the phanteks p360a (still a good airflow case I think).

I can add it to my basket, no idea how long delivery takes though. If you were building that from scratch with everything at RRP you'd pay around £1400.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Thanks, I'll check out overqclockers

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I am so annoyed right now; I bought an Alienware last year because it was the first chance I had to get 3080, but now nothing is running well. Deathloop and Apex were constantly crashing, RE 8 is horribly lagging, It's ultrawide screen but only only high settings, it's not like I have everything at Ultra. I'm worried the lovely airflow and fan controls and causing it to run to hot and cause stability issues and I am ready to move the parts to a new case, maybe a new motherboard to make sure all the Alienware software is gone. Can anyone recommend some good cases for airflow?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
first i would confirm that it's a thermal issue. install and run msi afterburner (it's free and safe and what i know, there are other options), play whatever game you're trying to play, then check your max GPU and CPU temps and what the curve looks like.

it is very likely to be a thermal issue, but it's possible it's something you could fix with a cooler rather than a whole new case. i'd need to see exactly what's spiking first, dell ships with rinky dink rear end CPU coolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also it cooooouuuuuld (?) be a software issue their bloat is godawful. you don't need a new motherboard for that though, you could just flatten and reinstall windows and get a fresh, junkware free OS.

use the media creation tool with your current PC to make an updated windows USB stick and boot to it.