Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I still think there's room within the Modules space for a "World of Sil-Q" sort of attempt at consolidation unto more expressive ends.

Real shame that despite the contests here and there that the Modules scene for the game was too wrought of Lua madness on top of other sources of Madness to truly Get Somewhere---Doom-levels would be a dream upon dreams in terms of an extended community, but there had to have been some pivotal points in the history up to now where If Only~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Has anyone else picked up inscryption yet? I've spent most of the day digging into it and I like it. It's in the same vein as Slay the Spire, although mixed up and simplified in some ways. It's also lane based and very halloween appropriate. If any of those keywords push your buttons I really recommend just giving it a try and refunding it if it doesn't hook you. It's from the guy who made Pony Island and his games are pretty easy to end up spoiled on I feel like.

Unrelated but:

beer gas canister posted:

i took a look at your guide, and i definitely used it to get my first win back in the day. that was the the first time after years of futzing with Angband and the like that i ever beat a rl. cheers :cheers:

This made my day, I'm glad someone got use out of it! :cheers:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Shadows of the Wyrm lands a rather nice update that allows for the Pantheon system to finally be more meaningfully engaged with, among a host of other gains and improvements.

https://www.shadowofthewyrm.org/index.html

It is so, so jarring seeing the character of updates for it as it happens every Some Months contrasted against the likes of Ultimate ADOM given for the longest time it seemed so likely that they'd be spiritually aligned..

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mithross posted:

Has anyone else picked up inscryption yet? I've spent most of the day digging into it and I like it. It's in the same vein as Slay the Spire, although mixed up and simplified in some ways. It's also lane based and very halloween appropriate. If any of those keywords push your buttons I really recommend just giving it a try and refunding it if it doesn't hook you. It's from the guy who made Pony Island and his games are pretty easy to end up spoiled on I feel like

I beat the demo and picked it up today! I plan to play it later with a friend (since we played through the demo together and they're interested in seeing more). Probably the my pleasant surprise of the year so far

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mithross posted:

Has anyone else picked up inscryption yet? I've spent most of the day digging into it and I like it. It's in the same vein as Slay the Spire, although mixed up and simplified in some ways. It's also lane based and very halloween appropriate. If any of those keywords push your buttons I really recommend just giving it a try and refunding it if it doesn't hook you. It's from the guy who made Pony Island and his games are pretty easy to end up spoiled on I feel like.

Played through it in beta and it's one of my favorite games of the year, hands down. The card gameplay is wonderful but without spoiling anything, do prepare for a less straightforward experience than the game would immediately have you believe. Inscryption is very much a game ABOUT a roguelike card game and not a roguelike card game in and of itself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can someone tell me about Boyfriend Dungeon? I know some of you play every roguelike that's come out!

I was a beta tester for it, but haven't actually played very far into the game since my testing was focused on UI/control/platform stuff and I haven't had time to sit down and play it properly.

That said, my impression was that both the dating-sim and dungeon-crawling aspects are well implemented for what they are, but kind of shallow; they're fun but don't have a lot of depth to them, although the dungeon crawling does get more interesting as you unlock more partners to take with you and more abilities to use with them. And the storyline doesn't really branch much; there's a few different outcomes for the relationships with the various characters, but there's only one ending to the plot and there's no mutually exclusive branches for which relationships you pursue, which on the one hand makes it easier to see everything you want to in one playthrough but also means it lacks that Alpha Protocol style "wait, you can do what?" revelation on subsequent runs. So, fun for what it is, and stylish, but probably won't reward multiple playthroughs or a desire to pursue system mastery.

All that said, I don't really think I'd call it a roguelike at all. The dungeons are randomly generated, but the only penalty for death is that you get kicked back to the surface. It's more like Recettear except that the dungeon crawler is stapled to the side of a dating sim rather than a shop management game.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

goferchan posted:

Played through it in beta and it's one of my favorite games of the year, hands down. The card gameplay is wonderful but without spoiling anything, do prepare for a less straightforward experience than the game would immediately have you believe. Inscryption is very much a game ABOUT a roguelike card game and not a roguelike card game in and of itself.

I figured it was about as much about the card game as Pony Island was about ponies and islands. Which is to say both a whole lot and also not at all.

Basically Daniel Mullins is an amazing developer, I love his work, and so should you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how well does inscryption actually work as a roguelite with replayability, and how long is a complete run? the presentation obviously looks great but everything people talk up about it sounds like one-time handcrafted stuff, not something you'd repeat many times.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

how well does inscryption actually work as a roguelite with replayability, and how long is a complete run? the presentation obviously looks great but everything people talk up about it sounds like one-time handcrafted stuff, not something you'd repeat many times.

It seems like it does eventually have an ending, and there is plot that happens around the card game, but the card game itself appears to be mostly randomized between plays. I doubt you'll get the kind of mileage from it you get from a game that is a roguelite first and story second, but the one-time stuff isn't the whole game, just the stuff people are most likely to talk up because it's neat.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Serephina posted:

Got to the super-secret final boss of Cogmind. Got my rear end handed to me, naturally. I wonder if he has some groundwork that can done beforehand, kinda like his predecessor (the semi-secret not-final boss), who is a total ballbuster unless you cheat with prior knowledge and gear/backup. Mister super-secret eventually outdid me, so I took a quick suicide run around his level and saw a good clue, but much like mister semi-secret I suspect trying to brute strength it is comically suboptimal. At least, I hope there's a trick to disabling him cuz getting sucker punched as you trundle around on treads for a million years is just mean.

Also I'm at 75% cheevos&lore now, so I think I'm doing ok, but there sure is a lot of game in there, and accessing the last few scrapes of it is really exhausting as it's not an easy game.

nice job, figuring out how to beat him is much easier on flight/hover when you're faster than he is. if you do go back on treads be sure to bring terrain scanning. positioning and economy of movement is really important when you're that slow, and there are a lot of important map features to look out for.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was using siege treads, and siege mode for the fight for a while until the penny dropped and I realized I was doomed. The game really does seem to hate you for daring to be slow (Warlord's level in particular is unnecessarily cruel), and I'm just thinking what gear I could squirrel away to survive the pummeling as I walk away from him, as his guns are very... particular. Zionite stuff as some +resistAll toys, and maybe a high powered force field? That particular run I insisted on staying on single engine quad prop (kinetics), which is very gratifying to pull off as I get to use all the support chips, but precludes stuff like forcefields.

I really wish the Cogmind forums had more activity as I'd like to talk about builds and stuff, Discord channels are a very different (worse, imo) way of storing info for later readers/discussion.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Erring on the side of caution with spoiler tags here, nothing serious past the first part of the game: You can't really divorce the structure of the roguelite card game from the stuff outside of it enough for ideas like a "complete run" to be totally relevant, but if you played the demo you can at least expect two more similar "Acts" with unique boss fights and new cards and mechanics introduced at a steady clip throughout. Definitely a lot of the draw is the handcrafted stuff you describe, but none of that would land as well as it does if the card game mechanics weren't interesting. I probably spent about 12 hours to see the ending on my first playthrough, and I think most reviewers I've seen have mentioned it took them about 15. I would hesitate to sell the game to anyone as a roguelike but I would say that it's a great game for people who love roguelikes and card battlers.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Having played a bit more, my comparison is Inscryption is to roguelite cardbattlers what Millenium Blades is to CCGs. It isn't really the same thing but if you like one you will almost certainly like the other.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Serephina posted:

I was using siege treads, and siege mode for the fight for a while until the penny dropped and I realized I was doomed. The game really does seem to hate you for daring to be slow (Warlord's level in particular is unnecessarily cruel), and I'm just thinking what gear I could squirrel away to survive the pummeling as I walk away from him, as his guns are very... particular. Zionite stuff as some +resistAll toys, and maybe a high powered force field? That particular run I insisted on staying on single engine quad prop (kinetics), which is very gratifying to pull off as I get to use all the support chips, but precludes stuff like forcefields.

I really wish the Cogmind forums had more activity as I'd like to talk about builds and stuff, Discord channels are a very different (worse, imo) way of storing info for later readers/discussion.

haha yeah slow prop is much less forgiving than flight (flight don't care) and requires far more game knowledge to pull off, but it can be very consistent too. it's also a lot of fun. doing the double-extended endgame almost always requires visiting the research branches (including the secret nested branch) which will net you all sorts of powerful offensive and defensive gear as well as passive upgrades to power generation and heat dissipation, among other things. force fields are absolutely essential, and while there are some extremely powerful versions available in r-branches and command you can still get away with even an adv. FF from mid-factory. armor-wise adv. or exp. powered armor is some of the best, but there are also regenerating armors with obvious advantages and MC has some nice stuff if you can get it intact. two-slot treads themselves are also great armor, even without entering siege mode, and they're everywhere in the upper complex. four-slot prop is the meta for b10 treads builds, but six-slot can be very good if you want a guaranteed source of integrity. finally the zionite shade armor with its 30% resist-all is incredible, but the only way to get it is to imprint and make it all the way to command. it makes the extended end game much easier, but getting there is brutally difficult on slow-prop.

offense is just as important, but somewhat more straightforward. single most important item is an armor integrity analyzer, advanced or experimental. otherwise you need some better than average weapons and the matter/energy storage to sustain them. throw in targeting computers/analyzers/kinecellerators etc as you see fit.

if you really don't want to spoil yourself on the arch fight then I do strongly recommend getting back there with a flight build. you have a lot more slack to figure things out, and making it that far is still a challenge since you're pretty much forced to actually fight your way in. and when the next version comes out its gonna be a whole lot harder, between flight support being halved and the complex itself becoming significantly more dangerous (unless you're already playing the pre-release).

and yeah though I wish the forums/subreddit were more active, I wound up biting the bullet and installing discord. it's very active, and there are always people around to answer questions and give advice. it's also just fun to share your run and commiserate when everything goes to poo poo. reminds me of hanging out in the crawl IRC ages ago. and while it's worse than reading old forums threads for information, you can turn up some good info-dumps with the right search terms. if you do join be sure to immediately ask for access to both spoiler channels.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

I put a lot of time into it and beat ascension 20 before the patches that changed it, added omens, nerfed speed buffs a lot, and added the screwy final boss

I had a lot of fun with it, still don’t know how to use some of the classes optimally!

I have the same problem, I kinda get stuck using the Assassin a lot because he's so good and just ignore some of the other dps as result.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Crawl IRC ~10 years ago was endlessly entertaining. Sometimes I read learndb and reminisce https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I had SHELL armour, allll the delicious combat chips, and had found a bunch of core upgrades (my 25th slot was RNG'd to be a fifth weapon slot, the bastard) and was Imprinted, but the Zio resisty things where all long blown off by the time I visited the final boss. In hindsight I shoulda raided the level for more spare parts after Zirov did his thing (carrying a plasma cutter? lol), but as a quickie question is there an easier way to handling the penultimate boss's chamber guards? Other than digging I can't think of a way to cheese it, and I swear they're nastier than the boss is. Second quickie question: I know about section7, but is there another hidden level off of the research branches? I found -3/testing to have a very suspicious amount of dirt off to one side, but didn't have the tools at -3 to do anything other than a short-range teleport which found nothing. It might have been procgen level weirdness, but the map edge was very far away and I'd never noticed it before. Third quickie question: is there anything to do in lab other than loot it and read the decrypted diary (and optionally triggering Interceptor hate on purpose for parts)?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WarpedLichen posted:

I have the same problem, I kinda get stuck using the Assassin a lot because he's so good and just ignore some of the other dps as result.

I try to never use the assassin until stage 3 (for exactly this reason) and if you get a bandit hood you don’t need him at all.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

oh drat you did all that while imprinted, completed zhirov's quest, AND DCed?! just getting to a0 like that is harder than clearing it lol

-the zionites you get in C while imprinted can basically handle MC without any help provided you get them there, but if you want their loot in guaranteed good condition you'll have to murder some of them beforehand lol. preferably with a plasma cutter, or at least something with +salvage

-it is possible to dig past the 'doom corridor' but its not practical with allies. there are a variety of strategies for fighting them head-on. simplest way with a slow combat build is to EM down the m-guards, which also nets you their excellent loot, and then destroy the cprogs with whatever. in b10 the cprogs can't clear corruption from the m-guards because they're prototype bots. when imprinted you can do this before letting in your allies, or else you can try to protect them from the m-guards' launchers by wearing 2-3 antimissile systems.

-after MC dies all of the 0b10 bots on the floor will gradually turn on each other. if you hide somewhere and wait for a thousand turns or so most of them will be dead and you can loot the entire level at your leisure. there's also a vault with high-level prototypes, but you'll need a way in.

-s7 is the only hidden r-branch, and it can appear in either Q or T. the size of the latter maps will always be the same so you can't deduce whether s7 is there or not just by looking at the boundaries.

-visiting lab while DCed will net you most of the available lore, but there's at least one other event that will cause more entries to show up (you still need to be DCed). if you were able to see the 'laser traps' then you may have got that lore too since you went to the right place. you can check your lore records to see if any lab entries are missing. I don't have them all.

anyway you've already done a lot of the hardest stuff in the game. and if you really were DCed then what you saw in a0 was actually the hard mode

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
100% of all my long range digging attempts have resulted in disaster, so I no longer try. Never occurred to me to try and haul allies to the penultimate fight, I'm very set in my ways. That third point is amazing and I'm gonna make use of it.

I'm currently doing a lovely 'nothing attached but flight' cheevo run and it actually got enough parts to take off, so I'll have to wait a while before trying for a ending++ again. Wish the game allowed for multiple saves! Cheers for the chat man.

edit ^^: Clarification, I didn't to it DC'd, I'm not insane. DataConduit aggro runs are either in RPGlike mode for giggles, or just a dash to an objective like the diary before dying horribly. Just Imprint + Zirov. Imprint was for the variety (as I normally don't) and honestly Zirov is a gimmie, it's 100% worth doing his quest if able just for getting the layout on -1 to prevent disasters.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 20, 2021

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

sure, always happy to talk about cogmind. it's an incredible game, but there's such a high barrier to entry that most people seem to bounce off it

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does undermine have any type of cosmetic items or do you have to be bobs burgers for the entire game?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone playing Into the Pit? It's on gamepass and seems fun after an hour or two but the upgrades are kinda boring and repetitive after 3-4 runs. I'm hoping some of the stores open up better upgrades?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Worst thing about TOME4 is the endurance aspect, even getting to a point where you are in danger takes like 8 hours, and then if you die its 8 hours of random bullshit until you get to where yo u get challegned.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Buller posted:

Worst thing about TOME4 is the endurance aspect, even getting to a point where you are in danger takes like 8 hours, and then if you die its 8 hours of random bullshit until you get to where yo u get challegned.

Its been said before, but you gotta up the difficulty. Insane gets real dangerous, real fast.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

explosivo posted:

Anyone playing Into the Pit? It's on gamepass and seems fun after an hour or two but the upgrades are kinda boring and repetitive after 3-4 runs. I'm hoping some of the stores open up better upgrades?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/into-the-pit-review

RPS review indicates the pacing is off (which sounds like a problem you ran into) but most of the bits that would make it work are there. Hopefully this will lead to a patch or two to get things where they need to be because those screenshots are absolutely fantastic. Look at those colors!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TitusGroen posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/into-the-pit-review

RPS review indicates the pacing is off (which sounds like a problem you ran into) but most of the bits that would make it work are there. Hopefully this will lead to a patch or two to get things where they need to be because those screenshots are absolutely fantastic. Look at those colors!

Their review hits pretty much everything that bums me out about it. The running around shooting is fun and it looks great but after 4-5 runs I haven't found any upgrades that really wowed me and thought i might've seen all there is to see. This review sadly kind of confirms that.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
ToME4 chat: Gravelord (the deathknight class) is pretty close to being done but still needs me to rewrite a bunch of stuff which I've been lazy about. Could probably knock it out in a week if I stop getting distracted by irl stuff. The other class for LL I did (Dust Mage) is pretty much done barring gfx/polish/usual balance stuff.
There's a few new developers who have been trying to push for bigger changes to fundamental systems, like a big rework to make rares and random bosses have 'themed' ability sets rather than just a grab bag of random class stuff. But I doubt all of the changes ToME needs will ever be done, probably one reason I've been less involved over time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

My first impression was pretty bad

-Fake pixelated graphics (it seems it has a shader pixelating things to look 'retro' ?)
-Garish colors. It creates a unique visual identity, but at what price...
-Mouse acceleration which can't be disabled
-I found a place on the hub where I could clip through the scenario in the first 70 seconds
-The sound design, as lots of indie games, is mediocre. I'm not talking of the subjective quality of the sounds, but their role in the gameplay. Projectiles doesn't sound when they get close to you, some enemies fire without having a sound effects, the spawn enemies sound could be more distinct, that kind of thing.
-At some point the game went crazy. Sometimes when i returned to the dungeon hub I had this:

It would fix itself by quitting and continuing my save, but it happened again when existing the game and coming back later.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Razakai posted:

ToME4 chat: Gravelord (the deathknight class) is pretty close to being done but still needs me to rewrite a bunch of stuff which I've been lazy about. Could probably knock it out in a week if I stop getting distracted by irl stuff. The other class for LL I did (Dust Mage) is pretty much done barring gfx/polish/usual balance stuff.
There's a few new developers who have been trying to push for bigger changes to fundamental systems, like a big rework to make rares and random bosses have 'themed' ability sets rather than just a grab bag of random class stuff. But I doubt all of the changes ToME needs will ever be done, probably one reason I've been less involved over time.

Have you ever considered working on a game of your own? I'm not exaggerating when I say that your work on class design is one of the biggest draws of ToME for me, period. You've got a fantastic sense of the balance between internal synergy on the one hand and the need for there to be different legitimate ways to build a character on the other.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

explosivo posted:

I played it for two hours and was bored to tears. The decision to restrict you to two weapons per run that collect boring passive upgrades that just up their numbers without changing behavior in any way is an absolutely terrible design choice for a boomer shooter style game. It's really not helped that the weapons aren't distinct, either, they're just different particle effects that make similar pew pew noises when you throw them out of your glowing hands. The enemies aren't terribly memorable, either, and mostly the game kind of blends into a samey melange of holding down both mouse buttons(because you have infinite ammo, it just takes a moment to recharge after firing) while running around flicking the mouse at anything you see.

The visuals are also pretty bad - I can respect a low res aesthetic, but it looks like they made a pretty normal looking 3D indie game and then applied some kind of pixelization/vaseline filter on top which looks like smashed rear end.

(On the plus side it did get me to load up a couple Doom WADs and actually have fun, though.)

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 21, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the game initially drew me in because I liked the visuals but it quickly became apparent that there's just not much there. Glad I was able to try it on Gamepass at least

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
So I've been working on a Tome mod that expands the egos/item-affixes and makes all sorts of semi-random Artifacts, some that straight up only have a few fixed abilities and roll the rest or ones that have wider randomization on their stats based on player level. I made a bunch of loot mods for Torchlight 2 and Diablo 2 back in the day, so it is kind of my go to thing for modding these days.

Steam Page Here and it is also up on the main site for download. There shouldn't be any earth shattering bugs, but so far people on the Tome discord have found a good number of things that I tweaked. There is also a google doc I've been keeping (linked on the mod page) that tracks everything I've added so far.

Since I've followed this thread for a long time and I think the primary Tome one is gone, thought I'd post it here for critique and whatnot. I still consider it in the Alpha stage since it will likely need a bunch of number crunching balance passes and verbiage refreshes before I am happy enough to consider it ready for 1.0.

This is an example of one of my new items and its ability:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does undermine have any type of cosmetic items or do you have to be bobs burgers for the entire game?

There's a mirror in the room to the left, and you can stand in front of it and re-randomize your appearance as many time as you like, so you can always be the lady or whatever. Aside from that there's not many cosmetics, there's a few things that will stick to you and there's crowns if you do the challenge mode runs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i feel bad but i refunded Into The Pit and bought Source of Madness instead

the weapons in Into the Pit just didnt feel great, they were all just hand beams. its not like you cant do elaborate fantasy spell weapons. amid evil has great fantasy weapons, ziggurat 2 has a lot of cool spell cast powers, the bioshock series has a lot of like spell type hand powers.

i like fps roguelikes a lot but i just wasnt feeling it. an fps needs punchy weapons.

i was also kind of pissed off cause i beat the first boss, but it doesnt really tell you that you need both gold & ember motes to make the key for the next biome, so i'd been collecting the ember motes it says make keys instead of gold. when i got back to the town i was literally 1 gold short of being able to make the key to the next biome despite having beaten the boss of the first biome, and i didnt want to play like 20 more rooms of the first biome to unlock the second.

Source of Madness is cool so far. it has a nice floaty surrealism and the AI generated and animated eldritch abominations are sweet

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ziggurat 2 has been my roguelike fps of choice as of late, tbh. It's almost out of early access and just feels great to play. Fast movement, lots of cool weapons, lots of different perks. I also do appreciate them differentiating the characters a bunch this time around.

It does have metaprogression, but it also doesn't? The main campaign is a pretty metaprogression-y affair; weapons and characters level up and gain passive abilities as you use them in runs, and leveling them up grants skill points for a skill tree. That being said, you can completely ignore the campaign and just play classic modes. Ziggurat Trial is basically just a standard run, with exactly 0 metaprogression, and all characters/weapons have their passives unlocked. Probably the worst part of this though, is that you still have to unlock weapons/perks, and you start with a truly pitiful number: I think 1 weapon in each slot. You unlock more weapons pretty quickly, but it does suck that there's essentially no variety in your first run.

But all in all I'm having a blast.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Ziggurat 2 has been my roguelike fps of choice as of late, tbh. It's almost out of early access and just feels great to play. Fast movement, lots of cool weapons, lots of different perks. I also do appreciate them differentiating the characters a bunch this time around.

It does have metaprogression, but it also doesn't? The main campaign is a pretty metaprogression-y affair; weapons and characters level up and gain passive abilities as you use them in runs, and leveling them up grants skill points for a skill tree. That being said, you can completely ignore the campaign and just play classic modes. Ziggurat Trial is basically just a standard run, with exactly 0 metaprogression, and all characters/weapons have their passives unlocked. Probably the worst part of this though, is that you still have to unlock weapons/perks, and you start with a truly pitiful number: I think 1 weapon in each slot. You unlock more weapons pretty quickly, but it does suck that there's essentially no variety in your first run.

But all in all I'm having a blast.

ziggurat 1 was great and ziggurat 2 is even better so far. i really like the cultist and necromancer characters. the cultist is a real damage machine when you have his power active, and the necromancer is a great adaptation of the classic diablo skeleton swarm necro but adapted to a first person format.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So far the battlemage strikes me as the most overpowered. His active is just too powerful; it's a buff that makes you completely immune to damage, and every time you would take damage you instead replenish your mana pools. His intended drawback is that he has lower max mana and suffers from constant MP drain, but the numbers are all out of whack. A few hits from an enemy can completely max out all of your mana, and the mana drain is pretty pitiful. And to top it all off, he has a bunch of unique perks that mostly just increase his damage and make him a complete bulldozer. He's just got so much going for him in terms of damage and tankiness, and his main drawback is so minor. Loads of fun to play, tbh.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does Ziggurat 2 have more stuff unlocked by default? I beat the first game on my second run and didn’t want to play anymore when I realized I was just going to get the same weapons over and over until I beat the game several more times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Does Ziggurat 2 have more stuff unlocked by default? I beat the first game on my second run and didn’t want to play anymore when I realized I was just going to get the same weapons over and over until I beat the game several more times.

ziggurat 2 is split up into a lot of different smaller dungeons, which usually unlock 3-5 items each. so you're not locked into a boring arsenal for a long rear end time. the dungeons also tell you which categories of things they unlock, so you can pick and choose which weapon types you want more variety of.

edit: i played more of the peglin demo, and so far my only concern is some of the boards you get dont have the cool peggle type curved blocks, and are just straight up pachinko grids. its a lot less fun and a lot more luck based when you get one of those, cause its really hard to predict more than the first few bounces with that arrangement.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 21, 2021