Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Monkey Fracas posted:

someone's always loving things up by treating it as like a lane of traffic and just driving down it or using it to make a left turn out of a parking lot/business when the road is busy and then waiting for things to clear in the other lane before merging in

You mean turn left out of the parking lot, to sit in the two-way left turn lane until you can find a spot to merge into the lane you want to travel in? That's exactly how they're supposed to be used, they make it so that you only have to deal with crossing one direction of travel at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Monkey Fracas posted:

using it to make a left turn out of a parking lot/business when the road is busy and then waiting for things to clear in the other lane before merging in

That’s totally legal and encouraged in many jurisdictions.

What you’re not supposed to do is use it as an acceleration lane.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's totally legal, encouraged, and required in a lot of civic design. It's also infernal weaving of the worst variety and for all the extra travel of avenue u turns or roundabouts, I feel astoundingly safer with the latter.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

You mean turn left out of the parking lot, to sit in the two-way left turn lane until you can find a spot to merge into the lane you want to travel in? That's exactly how they're supposed to be used, they make it so that you only have to deal with crossing one direction of travel at once.

Yeah this shouldn't be a problem but often it leads to people unable to control themselves and just doing the "oh I'll go forward a little bit maybe I can edge in" thing instead of actually waiting for some reason and it kinda leads to people not being where they "should" be in the turn lane

I just loving hate continuous turn lanes

I'm complaining about it but I must concede that you're right- it is an intended use case for them if people knew how to do it properly

Tragedy of The Commons: The Turn Lane

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 19, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Shout out to the driver who stopped at his green light to motion me to walk across against traffic, then got increasingly furious as I refused to do so, even when I pointed to the traffic that was still using the green light to go thru the intersection. He stared at me and screamed until the cars behind him honked enough to make him flip me off and peel out.

Like, are you stupid or homicidal? It’s hard to tell in this town, tbh.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Stuff from a previous job.

100mph tape is perfectly acceptable on an aircraft, you just need to add a few layers to stack up to your desired speed.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

it kept going after getting out of the bridge too

https://i.imgur.com/Le8YnNe.mp4

brazilian navy is kind of pissed at ecuadorian tug services to say the least

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Maybe the Brazilian navy should get some newer ships with engines of their own.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Looking at the current you'd want some pretty serious and experienced tug operators in that harbour.

A military sailing ship like that usually has its own power, but not enough to deal with current or extreme crosswinds. Just not what they are made for.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

bagual posted:

it kept going
ecuadorian tug services

lol

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

Looking at the current you'd want some pretty serious and experienced tug operators in that harbour.

A military sailing ship like that usually has its own power, but not enough to deal with current or extreme crosswinds. Just not what they are made for.

Back in the day when tall ships were the norm, how would they deal with this sort of situation? Not be near a bridge in the first place? Lay anchor and wait it out?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Z the IVth posted:

Back in the day when tall ships were the norm, how would they deal with this sort of situation? Not be near a bridge in the first place? Lay anchor and wait it out?

there wouldn't be any bridges that long crossing a major waterway back in the age of sail

otherwise you'd use row-driven tugs and small sailboats to pilot you out of harbor if the wind was dicey, or if the wind was unfavorable and would blow you ashore, you'd just have to wait until it changes. a lot of old school harbors were chosen not just for the available coastline for building wharves or the amount of protected anchorage, but also the quality of the prevailing winds. you'd also try to time it so that your departure coincided with the receding tide and you'd get 'washed' out to sea where you had more freedom to move

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Holy poo poo, she was delivered in 2004. That's a bit of a one-up on the former Kriegsmarine sailing ships distributed to various navies post WW2. Beautiful thing, I didn't know they built them like that so late.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Z the IVth posted:

Pretty sure back in the day bridge technology wasn't able to cross the bodies of water deep enough for tall ships so it just never...

came up.

:dadjoke:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Mister Speaker posted:

Maybe the Brazilian navy should get some newer ships with engines of their own.

its an old timey "prestige" training ship, always either on or official celebrations or bumbling diplomatic goodwill missions like it was now in ecuador

Antigravitas posted:

its this, it has its own power but they decided to try and get it back to the ocean through a bridge during high winds and river/tide flow with tiny tug boats for... reasons? wouldnt be surprised if the brazilian navy was directly involved too and trying to deflect, they're uh not the best

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

madeintaipei posted:

Holy poo poo, she was delivered in 2004. That's a bit of a one-up on the former Kriegsmarine sailing ships distributed to various navies post WW2. Beautiful thing, I didn't know they built them like that so late.

If you're willing to pay the right people the right price, you can get just about any kind of boat or ship built that you want. China built a full-size replica of an ironclad battleship a decade or so back.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 19, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Shout out to the driver who stopped at his green light to motion me to walk across against traffic, then got increasingly furious as I refused to do so, even when I pointed to the traffic that was still using the green light to go thru the intersection. He stared at me and screamed until the cars behind him honked enough to make him flip me off and peel out.

Like, are you stupid or homicidal? It’s hard to tell in this town, tbh.

Has someone a car in front of me stop in the middle of a 45 mph five lane road to wave across a person jaywalking and the person went. The cars in the other lane weren't aware this was happening and I nearly watched a man get smashed.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you're willing to pay the right people the right price, you can get just about any kind of boat or ship built that you want. China built a full-size replica of an ironclad battleship a decade or so back.

Fuckin' awesome.

I love the idea that very, very old warships, such as the USS Texas and the Russian Aurora exist as museums. That thing is a nonfunctional replica, but still neat. Evidently they raised an old Japanese-built gunboat, the Zhongshan, and have her on display, too.

If anyone is interested in old ships still doing work, the MV Liemba, neé Graf Götzen has been in service on Lake Tanganyika since 1915. Scuttled, recovered, sunk, repaired, she's been an important part of commerce, communication, and transportation there for a long, long time.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r184p66qvo1qigfjt.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that isn't the first time i've seen a video of that happening. it's astonishing that the sightlines are so bad (and the drivers are so poo poo)

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Z the IVth posted:

They wouldn't be caught dead so close to a hazard. If they had to move and the tides or winds weren't favorable, and they couldn't wait it out, they'd warp the ship out.

One (or two) of the ship's boats rows an anchor as far out as the cable will run, then drops it. The ship's sailors then haul on the capstan to bring the ship over the anchor. They lift it, put it back in the ship's boat, and repeat until they can sail.

It's a hell of a lot of exhausting work, and old full-rigged ships were way more manned than modern ones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

that isn't the first time i've seen a video of that happening. it's astonishing that the sightlines are so bad (and the drivers are so poo poo)

It even happened to one of the guys from Car Throttle, a big youtube channel: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/50819855

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

What bugs me is the wind is blowing the best way it possibly could for a SAILING ship to avoid this, but I suspect it's manned with actors rather than sailors.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

madeintaipei posted:

If anyone is interested in old ships still doing work, the MV Liemba, neé Graf Götzen has been in service on Lake Tanganyika since 1915. Scuttled, recovered, sunk, repaired, she's been an important part of commerce, communication, and transportation there for a long, long time.

Similarly, the Mohican II has been cruising around on Lake George since 1908. It's just an excursion vessel, though.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TotalLossBrain posted:

My favorite type of driver :allears:
They first get confused, then mad when I sit on my bike, don't go, and pull my phone out to look at instead.
But then the multiple cars behind that guy get mad and eventually he'll have to start rolling again.
Thanks guy, I could have been gone already if it weren't for you stopping.

nicehole:
A person that tries to be nice but in turn actually ends up doing an rear end in a top hat move.
Ex.: At a busy four way stop the guy to my left came to a complete stop before everyone else and the tried to wave me on like a real nicehole.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

....but I suspect it's manned with actors rather than sailors.

They should of acted like they weren't going to hit it better. :colbert:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
This isn't super OSHA, but we had a job site demo today and the vendor's choice of ad campaign caught me off guard.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I like to cross my arms in a very exaggerated way or make an X with my arms when someone tries to wave me through a left turn across 2 lanes.

One time I watched a tractor trailer drive down a signed "no trucks" street in a residential neighborhood with sharp turns looking for the back entrance to a Walmart plaza. I shouted "ya done hosed up" and the truck stopped because it's passenger window was open.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

This isn't super OSHA, but we had a job site demo today and the vendor's choice of ad campaign caught me off guard.

You never played with your or your friends Erector Set when you were a kid?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

:perfect:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/xVN3f4W.mp4

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
entire treatises could be written using only the expression "fahkin' ell mate"

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

zedprime posted:

You never played with your or your friends Erector Set when you were a kid?

Of course. There's a reason I design big industrial stuff for a living now. Poser model Incan advertising prefab stair access was not something I imagined as a kid though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Wasabi the J posted:

What bugs me is the wind is blowing the best way it possibly could for a SAILING ship to avoid this, but I suspect it's manned with actors rather than sailors.

*deploys sails while under tug boat's nominal control, becomes responsible for all the damage*

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phanatic posted:

Great moral calculus, we got Jeremy loving Bentham up there in his Honda CRV
Hey, I'm gonna need you to return him to the closet when you're done with him, thanks.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

entire treatises could be written using only the expression "fahkin' ell mate"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS6pE88Xg3s

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Wasabi the J posted:

I suspect they wanted to get the ship through the open drawbridge and the wind is pretty good for that (almost perfectly head-on), but only with tugs because of the strength of the current.

It takes quite a while to get those sails ready, and are you going to climb up there while tugs are trying to maneuver you through that tiny opening?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just said it bugs me; it's blowing the right way real fuckin hard.

I'm aware it would have been potentially deadly if someone was on the rigging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also people that turn their signal on a mile before they turn. Someone almost hit me because I turned left while they were approaching with their right turn signal on. Then they throw their hands up at me like I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Got hit by a guy that did this, we were 16, my buddy was driving and we got T-boned in the passenger door, fractured my hip among other injuries, learned real quick never to trust other people.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 20, 2021