Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

They should print "smoking causes impotence" if they actually want people (well, men) to stop.

That is one of the standard warnings you already get printed on the packet, except the picture they use to demonstrate it is of a buff-as-hell dude so very much a mixed message IMO, especially with how much weight I've put on since giving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Lungboy posted:

If anyone here rides a motorbike you might want to contribute to this https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ETVHG5/. Government want to make all aftermarket parts illegal.

Then they came for the cans

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The proportion of adults in the UK who smoke has fallen over recent years to 14.1% – the lowest figure ever recorded – as a result of tightened restrictions on the marketing of cigarettes and campaigns reminding the public of the dangers they involve.
And also due to better electronic cigarettes and nicotine pouches and other alternatives, which conveniently keep getting ignored as harm reduction.

Those in turn took off due to indoor smoking bans and greater awareness of smoking cessation and then later due to NHS promotion, but each is a key part of its complement, it's not just as if they put the scary words on the packet and everyone stopped smoking.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Deketh posted:

Then they came for the cans

Cans are the obvious ones, but also screens on naked bikes, better mirrors, different seats etc. Knowing the government they'll word it to cover tyres too.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Cans are the obvious ones, but also screens on naked bikes, better mirrors, different seats etc. Knowing the government they'll word it to cover tyres too.

I can understand some of the after market cans because they can get stupidly loud. But there's something very classically ill-informed about the rest. I mean, when I was commuting on bikes, not being able to fit a decent screen would have been brutal. And some stock mirrors were total garbage, so that's 2 safety enhancements right there. Banning things like those would be so stupidly unnecessary.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Deketh posted:

I can understand some of the after market cans because they can get stupidly loud. But there's something very classically ill-informed about the rest. I mean, when I was commuting on bikes, not being able to fit a decent screen would have been brutal. And some stock mirrors were total garbage, so that's 2 safety enhancements right there. Banning things like those would be so stupidly unnecessary.

Yeah it's bonkers. The reasoning behind it is twofold apparently. First, they don't like that bikes are altered so much they no longer comply with the emissions limits that they need to adhere to when they come out of the factory, which I can understand from a legal point. The second is to do with autonomous vehicles, and that modifying them could screw up their interactions with other vehicles or their own software. Simply banning all mods does solve both issues but is a massive overreaction. It doesn't help that bikes and cars are all lumped in together.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Sajid just held a little press conference to say they're going to do gently caress all, (remain vigilant!) as the ticker scrolls saying deaths are up 21% this week.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

They should print "smoking causes impotence" if they actually want people (well, men) to stop.

STOP SMOKING OR WE'LL SHOOT YOUR loving COCK OFF

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
He just said "we'll be doing everything we can" 3 mins after saying we won't be using plan b

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Yeah it's bonkers. The reasoning behind it is twofold apparently. First, they don't like that bikes are altered so much they no longer comply with the emissions limits that they need to adhere to when they come out of the factory, which I can understand from a legal point. The second is to do with autonomous vehicles, and that modifying them could screw up their interactions with other vehicles or their own software. Simply banning all mods does solve both issues but is a massive overreaction. It doesn't help that bikes and cars are all lumped in together.

Interesting, I hadn't considered the vehicle recognition software bit. If that really precluded any aftermarket kit from being usable as they currently exist, the industry would need to collaborate with the vehicle manufacturers to figure out what is and isn't possible. Otherwise that entire market is gone. So yeah, massive overreaction.
Anyway, I will Have My Say and do the survey thing

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Government to take action after the thing taking action would have prevented has happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure you can put the word DEATH on cigarettes any more than you already have.

Perhaps they could legislate that all name branding must be from a preapproved list of terms with negative connotations.

I'll have 20 of the DeathMurder DoomNonce's please.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
All the data this woman is going through in the press conference right now is basically screaming for action to be taken, right after Sajid said they're not going to do anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'll have 20 of the DeathMurder DoomNonce's please.
by Prince Philip Morris

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There used to be a "smoking causes impotence" packet where the image was a cigarette half burned down with the ash not yet flicked off. The ash was just drooping and waiting to fall.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do a public health campaign linking smoking to being a peado. Use photos of famous paedos smoking, like Jimmy Saville or Rod Liddle. Have the slogan be sonething like 'most paedos are smokers, don't be like them'.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Just make cigarettes really big or something so they're too unwieldy to actually smoke and everyone will give up as it's too much hassle and you look a pillock trying to do it.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/tomhunt100/status/1450798377252397058?t=fVaSF82upPblmlXEDMbSpg&s=19

Quite interesting, though broadly what you'd expect.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Do a public health campaign linking smoking to being a peado. Use photos of famous paedos smoking, like Jimmy Saville or Rod Liddle. Have the slogan be sonething like 'most paedos are smokers, don't be like them'.

Dammit, PrisonPaul has changed his profile pic from the "SEE! I;M SMOKING! TRIGGERED YET LIBS?!?!?!?" one he had for a while, presumably because his mum found out.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Death has been kind to Max Mosley I see

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just make cigarettes really big or something so they're too unwieldy to actually smoke and everyone will give up as it's too much hassle and you look a pillock trying to do it.
Packs of one.

Limit one per customer.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
My wife's school is closed as of today, back to remote learning only, because so many of the staff and kids are off either tested positive or symptomatic - seems like we're slowly walking into another lockdown by default as things are getting so bad everything is starting to shut down regardless of whether the government says it should or not.

This was a school that got through all the previous lockdowns without so much as a burst bubble by the way, in an area of the country with relatively low case levels (relative to the insano levels of the rest of the country at least), so I can't see it being long before things have to change significantly, in schools if nowhere else.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hmmmmm
https://twitter.com/richardgaisford/status/1450860062898102282

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd have a booster if you were offering it...

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

WhatEvil posted:

One of the standard warning labels on tobacco pouches is a shirtless guy looking down at his dick, hand on mouth, and just below him is the label reading SMOKING MAKES YOU IMPOTENT

I bear a strong resemblance to that dude, as my friends loved to point out when the packets were changed. All it makes me feel is sad that my lookalike is now Impotence Guy forever.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

One person is killed by a knife and the government wants to redesign the internet but tens of thousands forecasted to die on their watch from preventable illness and it's nothing to do with them, people just have to be sensible about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

:hmmyes:

We must all play our part. My part is to sit here and make money. Your part is much less pleasant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MPs are important, people are not, of course.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hmmmm yeah getting a bit nervous now, really not fancying the horsies at this point, think I'll be sending that whatsapp message tomorrow

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

"I mean we've made the boxes plain babyshit green, we put big pictures of horrifying conditions resulting from using them, we've printed 'this will kill you' down the length of them and added tiny spikes to the filter that jab you in the lips when you try to smoke them, I don't see what else we could possibly do.

... stop them being sold? What do you think we are, communists?"

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

we put big pictures of horrifying conditions resulting from using them

That one kinda backfired...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

STOP SMOKING OR WE'LL SHOOT YOUR loving COCK OFF

I honestly thought that was a woman. So it's "Stop smoking, you might set fire to your partner's cunny".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Came here to post

Payndz posted:

Queen Elizadeath.

Queen Elizadeth

Or maybe Queen Elizädeth

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Has Queen.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Clarence posted:

Has Queen.

:hmmyes:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Loonytoad Quack posted:

My wife's school is closed as of today, back to remote learning only, because so many of the staff and kids are off either tested positive or symptomatic - seems like we're slowly walking into another lockdown by default as things are getting so bad everything is starting to shut down regardless of whether the government says it should or not.

We're going to have the exact same situation as last year, where the government brings in some hasty restrictions so that everyone can have a lovely half Christmas instead of either it being completely cancelled or everyone's gran dropping dead before new year's day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gran dropping dead before new year's day.
Yeah they postponed >1800 daily deaths for almost a whole three weeks.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

peanut- posted:

Also idle curiosity about how quickly supporting Jeremy Croblyn and mild social democracy becomes extremist content.

Isnt it already? I seem to remember "membership of left wing groups" being included in one of those Prevent how to spot a terrorist things

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
How much is 20 smokes in the UK now anyway? Think it's 15 something eurons in Ireland now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

How much is 20 smokes in the UK now anyway? Think it's 15 something eurons in Ireland now

Last time I bought 20 richmond for a workmate before all this apocalypse shite they were about £12.

Think I quit when they first hit £8.