Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

I think Victory has always been destined to be one of those shows like G-Reco or to a lesser extent Zeta Gundam where you either like it or you hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. I don't think I've ever talked with someone who's seen Victory and has a completely neutral opinion on it.

I haven't watched Victory but if your comparison is true I probably shouldn't seeing how I'm in the "hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns" camp for both G-Reco and Zeta.

(not so much honestly, I think G-Reco has lots of good things but the execution is lacking mostly due to very poor pacing, and I'm looking forward to seeing if the movies fix its pacing issues which would greatly improve the show)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think the Shrikes matter much so Victory ends up rating alongside Zeta for me in terms of wow this is lovely about its female characters. with Maria's exploitation by Zanscare being such a strong beat to the series it did at least throw something positive into the mixed bag of other characters like Lupe Cineau or Katejina.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

You should try paying attention to the show you're watching next time. Because it's obvious you weren't with Victory

There it is

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0046 - Emma's Decision

"Your mother? Oh... gently caress" seems like it would be more appropriate.

Have I mentioned how much I like the animations now?

This Titan pilot better die. He better die. Emma's the smartest character after Quattro.

Okay, so Emma is going to have Camille go with her, they all defect with the Mk IIs. Basque is the main villain, he better also die.

I'm surprised they don't damage or jeopardize the other mobile suits in the hangar.

Red Comet fighting, this is going to be good.

WAIT WHAT IT JUST SKIPS TO THE SHIP?!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0047 - Father and Son

New liveries? Sweet!

Wow, I knew Franklin was an rear end, but even this seems a bit much. Wait how does nobody raise the alarm on him?

They better not destroy the ... Rikdiaz? Quattro doesn't accept a suckup, or a suckup to his mobile suit.

Oh, hey, they are doing re-supplies again. They look cooler now.

Cool

The more they show Franklin the more I want him gone.

Camille is going to fight these bastards with one arm tied behind his back missing. This bridge captain is a powerful thumb of a man.

How do you not understand your dad, Camille? He did it all for the Mk.III, come on, the Mk.III, so you could take that Mk.II and stick it in your rear end, stickitinyourass!

I'm glad this Titan pilot is all "My honor :(". Will be great when he's gone.

Hard not to feel bad for Camille.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't think the Shrikes matter much so Victory ends up rating alongside Zeta for me in terms of wow this is lovely about its female characters. with Maria's exploitation by Zanscare being such a strong beat to the series it did at least throw something positive into the mixed bag of other characters like Lupe Cineau or Katejina.

As I've said before, many times, Victory is worse, because Zeta has sympathetically presented female characters who question the weird speeches on gender roles, with Fa and Emma regularly just going "...What the gently caress?" in response to Reccoa making a big speech. Meanwhile, Victory has everyone treat the weird talk about babies as Very Important, and insightful on the human condition.

Also, when the only defense for Victory is "You didn't really watch it", that doesn't say good things about Victory.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kanos posted:

I think Victory has always been destined to be one of those shows like G-Reco or to a lesser extent Zeta Gundam where you either like it or you hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. I don't think I've ever talked with someone who's seen Victory and has a completely neutral opinion on it.

I have a neutral opinion on both Victory and G-Reco, AMA.

...TBH my Victory experience is not the norm because I went into it having played a few Super Robot Wars games with it and I already knew many of the things it was infamous for beforehand. Several of the show's iconic moments landed with a "oh there's the thing I heard about" while a lot of thematic elements that I thought would get more focus in a full-length series... Didn't. I don't think it's a good show but I don't hate it, it has some interesting ideas and some of the best action in all of Gundam. Like, I dare you to look at Usso's piloting and tell me the kid is not a crazy savant, he's probably Amuro tier.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

“You didn’t really watch it” is my favourite meaningless dipshit drivel defence since it means you get to pretend you have more developed taste as well as not have to actually say anything about the garbage you’re defending

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

I haven't watched Victory but if your comparison is true I probably shouldn't seeing how I'm in the "hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns" camp for both G-Reco and Zeta.

(not so much honestly, I think G-Reco has lots of good things but the execution is lacking mostly due to very poor pacing, and I'm looking forward to seeing if the movies fix its pacing issues which would greatly improve the show)

It's not so much that the shows are necessarily very similar so much as that all of those shows seem to traditionally be very divisive love-it-or-hate-it shows. Like Victory and Zeta don't have the breakneck pacing of G-Reco, G-Reco doesn't have the strange women stuff that Victory and to a lesser extent Zeta have, etc.

dogsicle posted:

Yeah, the Shrikes are honestly not very important characters and are only notable specifically because they're hot ladies who die defending Uso and the show is like "man, that's sad, isn't it?". They're about as important as Monsha's team in 0083.

chiasaur11 posted:

As I've said before, many times, Victory is worse, because Zeta has sympathetically presented female characters who question the weird speeches on gender roles, with Fa and Emma regularly just going "...What the gently caress?" in response to Reccoa making a big speech. Meanwhile, Victory has everyone treat the weird talk about babies as Very Important, and insightful on the human condition.

Also, when the only defense for Victory is "You didn't really watch it", that doesn't say good things about Victory.

The main defenses of Victory are that the show looks great, has excellent choreography, and Uso is a good main character who takes Judau's absolute bafflement at how lovely the people around him are to the next level. Most of the things that people harp on endlessly about Victory, like the Shrikes dying or the Bikini Babe Suicide Squad, are one-off scenes that don't really matter.

Victory also has sympathetically presented female characters. Marbet is even more of a badass than Emma is, in my opinion, to the point where she's fighting her rear end off in the final battle while pregnant and survives the process, with her and her baby being critical to distracting the scariest enemy pilot in the show(Fuala) long enough for Uso to not die.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 20, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

and at the end they still kill Emma to power up the Newtype crash

it frustrates me more that they actually put some character behind them only to still overwhelmingly kill them off for the ghost parade

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Lollers at "Victory is solid at its core" and "it actually thinks women are important" as takes you have on Victory. The women are abused, used, and discarded by both sides at such an egregious rate that if that were true it does a very poor job of showing it. In a setting where women have largely been able bodied equals to men (in terms of jobs and story roles of importance), it's a very odd stance to say suddenly in UC 160 women in war is bad and that's what Tomino meant.

The pieces are there, but they are not actually the focus. Zanscare is a women driven organization we think, but we only see it as psycho mama worship in the last 10 or so episodes. It isn't established and isn't really given ground to be developed and is instead a vehicle for yet more violence against women.

I don't want to be dismissive and just be like, "You clearly didn't watch the show". But, I mean,

Marbet's entire arc, the villainous women having twisted hosed up versions of maternal feelings towards Uso, the bikini assault squad, the Angel's Halo using the psychic power of a woman to turn people into babies. Yeah, the pieces are there. And they do build up to the theme I said.

And I don't understand why you think it would be weird for Tomino, after decades of doing "war is bad" stories that often featured odd gender dynamics to then go and make a story specifically about why women in war is bad.

Like, you don't have to agree with or like the theme. But it is very clearly there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zeta has two entire major plot arcs centered around Four and Rosamia, who are women defined almost entirely by being exploited brainwashed slaves who then form attachments to the protagonist and then die tragically. It also has Reccoa's entire thing about being willing to betray her life's work and everyone who believes in her because she wants the touch and fulfillment of being with a man.

ZZ is the only 80s Gundam production where Tomino *doesn't* have extremely weird stuff about women front and center, and even then there's some bizarre stuff like Chara Soon's whole thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like Four a lot tbh, but Rosamia existing basically shits on her arc all the while being a bad one on its own. Sarah is similarly a character i liked a lot that gets thrown into the same bucket.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dogsicle posted:

and at the end they still kill Emma to power up the Newtype crash

it frustrates me more that they actually put some character behind them only to still overwhelmingly kill them off for the ghost parade

Honestly the more I think about it the more I feel they only did that so she and the Methuss wouldn't be around for ZZ to both raise the initial stakes by reducing how many Mobile Suits the protagonists have access to and make sure that AEUG don't have any qualified pilots to take over piloting the Zeta Gundam now that Kamille is a Space Potato to better justify Judau being allowed to continue using it after he Gundam jacks it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

“You didn’t really watch it” is my favourite meaningless dipshit drivel defence since it means you get to pretend you have more developed taste as well as not have to actually say anything about the garbage you’re defending

Denying that Victory has a theme like ZSB did is nonsensical.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Victory can have themes and still be muddled unfocused garbage. Themes can be bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I have a neutral opinion on both Victory and G-Reco, AMA.

...TBH my Victory experience is not the norm because I went into it having played a few Super Robot Wars games with it and I already knew many of the things it was infamous for beforehand. Several of the show's iconic moments landed with a "oh there's the thing I heard about" while a lot of thematic elements that I thought would get more focus in a full-length series... Didn't. I don't think it's a good show but I don't hate it, it has some interesting ideas and some of the best action in all of Gundam. Like, I dare you to look at Usso's piloting and tell me the kid is not a crazy savant, he's probably Amuro tier.

Uso is not a crazy savant.

Now that I've won a dare, Uso's good, but he's not up to the level of being Amuro's beam rifle caddy. When Amuro hits the battlefield, everyone else is basically screwed. We see him go up against top tier enemy aces using cutting edge superweapons and he makes them look like jokes.

Uso... isn't like that. He has some creative moves, but late series he's in full on Kira Yamato level supersuits with all the beamspam, and he still gets his back shoved against the wall when Zanscare fields its best (who don't exactly seem to be MSV style superaces considering how high Chronicle rose in their listings). His fight with Fuala is really illustrative here. Uso tries to get fancy, fails, and gets his rear end kicked until a psychic baby bails him out. And even then, he'd have died if he'd been in a normal mobile suit. The V2's core fighter gets directly tagged with a beam round, which is the kind of thing that usually ends a fight.

Uso's got a lot of clever moves (in that fight alone, he uses the Victory Gundam's modular system to attack with the spare arms as a remote weapon) but he doesn't dominate the battlefield.

I expected when I first started watching that Uso would be an Amuro level fighter, but with more Victory under my belt, I'd comfortably place him below Mikazuki as a pilot.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Uso is actually pretty good but he goes up against chumps compared to a lot of other protagonists. Amuro, Kamille, Heero and Mika would all tear him apart.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm denying that it has a cohesive well presented theme. I'll grant you that there may be other things there you wish it was doing, all I'm saying is that the execution is so poor as to make it a moot point. Those themes are undermined by the actual show so trying to defend it by saying "it had good intentions" is pointless to me.

Actually defend the literal show it is, not the one you wish it was.

Marbet is reduced to being a baby making machine and that's her most valuable contribution to her entire arc. Getting knocked up, that's what the show ends up showing and telling you. So women don't belong in war because they should be making kids? Bad theme homes

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the more I think about it the more I feel they only did that so she and the Methuss wouldn't be around for ZZ to both raise the initial stakes by reducing how many Mobile Suits the protagonists have access to and make sure that AEUG don't have any qualified pilots to take over piloting the Zeta Gundam now that Kamille is a Space Potato to better justify Judau being allowed to continue using it after he Gundam jacks it

Kamille still got to pilot the MkII right out of the gate as a dumb teenage idiot with no experience despite Emma, Quattro, Roberto, and Apolly all being present and active pilots. There's a lot of ways they could have given Judau the Zeta with Emma and Fa still being around.

Marbet is reduced to being a baby making machine and that's her most valuable contribution to her entire arc. Getting knocked up, that's what the show ends up showing and telling you. So women don't belong in war because they should be making kids? Bad theme homes

Marbet continues piloting and is the second most relevant pilot on the protagonists' side after becoming pregnant, and pursues the war to its conclusion as an active fighter before retiring with the rest of them once it's over. At no point does the show really criticize her for continuing to do so, and her being present in the conflict is pivotal to the main character not dying.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 20, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the theme of victory gundam is that itd be bad if there were more gundam shows, and it failed at expressing this theme because there were more gundam shows

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Kanos posted:

Marbet continues piloting and is the second most relevant pilot on the protagonists' side after becoming pregnant, and pursues the war to its conclusion as an active fighter before retiring with the rest of them once it's over. At no point does the show really criticize her for continuing to do so, and her being present in the conflict is pivotal to the main character not dying.

True I guess, but the show simply makes a point of stating those things are less important than being a mother. And that all her other contributions are lesser in the face of carrying a child. It doesn't need to criticize her because it's completely undermined her role in the story to that point to be supplanted by You Were a Mom All Along.

It's cool y'all I don't like Victory if you do, thats fine and swell. I'm just not going to buy any arguments that it is well constructed or has themes that are good and well developed. I'll leave any further discussion on this one alone for now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm denying that it has a cohesive well presented theme. I'll grant you that there may be other things there you wish it was doing, all I'm saying is that the execution is so poor as to make it a moot point. Those themes are undermined by the actual show so trying to defend it by saying "it had good intentions" is pointless to me.

Actually defend the literal show it is, not the one you wish it was.

No one said it had good intentions. And I'm not defending the show, I'm explaining it to you.

Yeah, Marbet's arc is that at the start she desires recognition as a great pilot, but by the end she has found something more important in motherhood. But, as Kanos points out she's still a great pilot.

And as I said earlier, whether or not you like the theme has no bearing on whether or not it's there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

True I guess, but the show simply makes a point of stating those things are less important than being a mother. And that all her other contributions are lesser in the face of carrying a child. It doesn't need to criticize her because it's completely undermined her role in the story to that point to be supplanted by You Were a Mom All Along.

"The show has Marbet be reduced to a baby making machine!"

"Well, she has a massive role in the show outside of being pregnant."

"True, I guess, but the show has Marbet be reduced to a baby making machine!"

I don't even care if you like Victory or not because as I said upthread the show is inherently divisive, but come on, man. The only reason why she's in a position for her being pregnant to be a factor is because she continues to be an active pilot and fighter, and the baby is relevant in combat a total of one time in the entire show where she's piloting. Her pregnancy does not define her.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 20, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Zeta has two entire major plot arcs centered around Four and Rosamia, who are women defined almost entirely by being exploited brainwashed slaves who then form attachments to the protagonist and then die tragically. It also has Reccoa's entire thing about being willing to betray her life's work and everyone who believes in her because she wants the touch and fulfillment of being with a man.

ZZ is the only 80s Gundam production where Tomino *doesn't* have extremely weird stuff about women front and center, and even then there's some bizarre stuff like Chara Soon's whole thing.

What "life's work"? Calling anything Reccoa does with AEUG her "life's work" not only wildly exaggerates what she's doing, but actively mischaracterizes it in a way that fundamentally misses the entire point of her actions. It's an actual plot point in the show that Reccoa has no idealistic or moral stake in AEUG, and only joined them because she was basically seeking a thrill. She tells Fa to her face that she never believed in anything AEUG was doing for such moralistic reasons. Twice, even, really. Once when detailing her backstory, and once when Fa meets her after she's betrayed AEUG.

Reccoa's entire thing is not about AEUG being a life's work, it's that she's a former child soldier whose life was thrown in to poo poo by the One Year War and now can't live a normal life because she only really feels alive during battle. She constantly throws herself into dangerous situations like spy missions at Jaburo and aboard the Jupitris because she wants that thrill, and even that's losing it's appeeal. Which is why she's so despondent by the time she does betray AEUG. She doesn't even put up a fight when Yazan beats her, which he finds so disturbing he captures her instead of just killing her.

The reason she jumps into Scirocco's arms is because Scirocco acts like he cares about her. She wanted such emotional validation from Char, and he wouldn't give it to her, so she left when she thought Scirocco would. Which he did, at least superficially. All of which is given some added complexity because it's slightly contradictory, given that she was raped in the past and views men as people who only want to fight and abuse women. Thrill-seeking has lost it's thrill though, so she wants emotional validation as a way to fill that void.

drrockso20 posted:

I think you're remembering things slightly wrong, Emma dies in the Mk II, not the Methuss. Which Fa uses several times during the first part of ZZ, before it's cut in half at the waist, and finally abandoned it. Emma was going to live in some versions of the Zeta finale and ZZ, but they obviously decided to kill her. It was probably decided to have Fa fill the early support role for Judau instead of Emma.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

:shrug:

I think the finale spoils a lot of what comes before it in Victory.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Uso is actually pretty good but he goes up against chumps compared to a lot of other protagonists. Amuro, Kamille, Heero and Mika would all tear him apart.

chiasaur11 posted:

Now that I've won a dare, Uso's good, but he's not up to the level of being Amuro's beam rifle caddy. When Amuro hits the battlefield, everyone else is basically screwed. We see him go up against top tier enemy aces using cutting edge superweapons and he makes them look like jokes.

Uso... isn't like that. He has some creative moves, but late series he's in full on Kira Yamato level supersuits with all the beamspam, and he still gets his back shoved against the wall when Zanscare fields its best (who don't exactly seem to be MSV style superaces considering how high Chronicle rose in their listings). His fight with Fuala is really illustrative here. Uso tries to get fancy, fails, and gets his rear end kicked until a psychic baby bails him out. And even then, he'd have died if he'd been in a normal mobile suit. The V2's core fighter gets directly tagged with a beam round, which is the kind of thing that usually ends a fight.

Uso's got a lot of clever moves (in that fight alone, he uses the Victory Gundam's modular system to attack with the spare arms as a remote weapon) but he doesn't dominate the battlefield.

I expected when I first started watching that Uso would be an Amuro level fighter, but with more Victory under my belt, I'd comfortably place him below Mikazuki as a pilot.

I was writing a post about the importance of creative piloting tactics and how they were shown in UC as one of the hallmarks of a newtype but the more I went into it the more I realize... You know what, fair, the kid being clever doesn't put him on the level of Amuro. That was hyperbolic and wrong. He's still really clever, though!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I don't think so, I really think Tomino was just trying to drive the War is hell even if your cause is just right into your skull before the end.

chiasaur11 posted:

I think your underselling how dangerous Fuala and Katejina are. They're both at least as good as Scirocco. And Kamille Barely manages to get a win on him, and is nearly killed when he tries to take on Haman or Yazan. So Uso is at least as good as Kamille, I'd argue more skilled if only for the fact that he's more creative. One interesting thing is Uso starts extremely skilled whereas Amuro, Kamille and Judeau all start pretty iffy and grow into their abilities.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I like Victory and it’s one of my favorite full length Gundam shows. I enjoyed the mecha designs, most of the characters, the music, and the fights. There wasn’t anything that stood out to me as particularly bad, but I also last watched the whole show 10 years ago. Note that favorite =/= best, as I can easily see why someone may dislike any of the aspects I mentioned liking, but it’s one I definitely enjoyed a lot as I watched it. That’s my two cents.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Kamille starts a lot less iffy than Amuro or Judau, who are both almost entirely new to the concept. Amuro has no piloting experience at all, and Judau just piloted some mini mobile suits for work on occasion. Kamille is an award winning mini mobile suit pilot, as well as a mobile suit design enthusiast and has some slightly relevant experience in the homo avis sport (i.e. advanced gliders). I say slightly relevant, since it seems to involve piloting to some degree too. He doesn't start out as the best by any shot, and even 15 episodes in it's a plot point that he's impressed by Amuro's skill and unable to replicate it, but he did start out as a decent pilot and was immediately able to body Jerid on multiple occasions because of it despite Jerid being a trained pilot for an elite Federation unit.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 20, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

On February 2019, the Japanese website Gundam.info announced that the (hypothetical) Master Grade Zanneck won an online census, where fans voted for a potential new Victory Gundam-themed product during the opening of the "Mobile Suit Victory Gundam World" event. [1] There has been no follow-up information regarding a hypothetical MG Zanneck from Bandai ever since.
Betrayed by bandai once again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Betrayed by bandai once again
we'll get the ver ka g-self someday. i believe.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Endorph posted:

we'll get the ver ka g-self someday. i believe.

Now you're just dreaming.

I don't like G Reco and I'll admit its baffling how the G-Self hasn't gotten a really nice MG yet.

Honestly I think it could be a really cool PG if it had the option for an LED ribbon kit like the Exia.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I was writing a post about the importance of creative piloting tactics and how they were shown in UC as one of the hallmarks of a newtype but the more I went into it the more I realize... You know what, fair, the kid being clever doesn't put him on the level of Amuro. That was hyperbolic and wrong. He's still really clever, though!

Oh, definitely. Uso's constantly doing interesting things with his MS's ability to split up. I'd even go as far as to say that, on occasion, his fault comes from being too clever by half. Like the fight with Fuala, he was in halfway decent shape, but he ejected his legs to get in an attack... and then was left almost defenseless until Marbet came in for the save.

He's constantly trying things, but he doesn't have Mikazuki or Amuro's killer instinct warning him that some of those ideas just won't work, which puts more strain on his piloting skills than he'd be under otherwise.

Now you're just dreaming.

I don't like G Reco and I'll admit its baffling how the G-Self hasn't gotten a really nice MG yet.

Honestly I think it could be a really cool PG if it had the option for an LED ribbon kit like the Exia.

Bandai's been making less Master Grades outside of P-Bandai lately due to changes in the Japanese tax structure and economic stress, so that's probably a factor. It took four years for the first Iron Blooded Orphans master grade, and that's a design with plenty of potential future use, proven market appeal, and international audiences. Meanwhile, G-Reco kits don't appear to have sold as well, and they don't have many obvious opportunities to save on mold use with repeats.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 20, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

Kamille starts a lot less iffy than Amuro or Judau, who are both almost entirely new to the concept. Amuro has no piloting experience at all, and Judau just piloted some mini mobile suits for work on occasion. Kamille is an award winning mini mobile suit pilot, as well as a mobile suit design enthusiast and has some slightly relevant experience in the homo avis sport (i.e. advanced gliders). I say slightly relevant, since it seems to involve piloting to some degree too. He doesn't start out as the best by any shot, and even 15 episodes in it's a plot point that he's impressed by Amuro's skill and unable to replicate it, but he did start out as a decent pilot and was immediately able to body Jerid on multiple occasions because of it despite Jerid being a trained pilot for an elite Federation unit.

In technical skill I'd agree, but in terms of Tactics he makes some very very bad decisions early on Like being led into a feint by Kacricon after being warned by Quattro to not do that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

As I've been rewatching Zeta I've noticed that the parts of piloting Kamille has problems with are the army stuff. He has to be reminded to stay in formation and he's shown being a little awkward launching off a Federation ship compared to his father.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

It took four years for the first Iron Blooded Orphans master grade, and that's a design with plenty of potential future use, proven market appeal, and international audiences. Meanwhile, G-Reco kits don't appear to have sold as well, and they don't have many obvious opportunities to save on mold use with repeats.

Nothing has as much potential reuse as the Barbatos, considering that it had multiple revisions in the show and the frame can be used for other Gundams. But the G-Self is up there. Atmospheric Pack, Space Pack, Perfect Pack, and Reflector Pack are just a new backpack. And then there's the terrible Build variants.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I got distracted from watching Seed and instead went back to watch ZZ because I need to round out my UC knowledge for a project.

https://i.imgur.com/VaQ29tl.mp4

It's great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Nothing has as much potential reuse as the Barbatos, considering that it had multiple revisions in the show and the frame can be used for other Gundams. But the G-Self is up there. Atmospheric Pack, Space Pack, Perfect Pack, and Reflector Pack are just a new backpack. And then there's the terrible Build variants.

It's not just reuse potential. It's marketable reuse potential.

Even if there's a market for the G-Self, there are far fewer people who'd pay fifty bucks for the same kit, but with a new backpack. It's a P-Bandai release at best, with selling the packs separate being the most likely move (same as Barbatos's expansion kit).

Barbatos, meanwhile, has two more forms that haven't been released, both of which made the top 50 designs in the big poll, with sold out Metal Build releases. It also has the Kimaris and its forms, the Guision and its forms, Bael, Flauros, and all the sidestory Gundams. It's reuse for designs that might justify the expense of a whole new kit, rather than trying to find ways to reuse an existing design.

And yes. Some of ZZ's animation gags are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So something I was reminded of today, in Gundam Battle Assault 1 & 2 you had the Mobile Suits usually piloted by the people you expect to be piloting them, not so much the case for the Japanese original versions Gundam The Battle Master 1 & 2*, in those versions all the MS are piloted by new original characters in a non-UC setting(I've heard suggestions that it's supposed to be a version of the Gundam X setting but I'm not sure how true that is), a bit like the PS2 MS Saga rpg in many respects

Its an interesting concept that I wouldn't be against them revisiting in a future game, definitely opens up some possibilities when you aren't tied to an existing universe but can use their toys

*here's where things get weird, Battle Master 1 never left Japan, Battle Master 2 got imported to the US as Battle Assault 1 with a couple minor changes(mostly replacing the Zeta Gundam with the Wing Gundam for synergy with Gundam Wing being the New Hotness in the US), Battle Assault 2 meanwhile is a new game made specifically for the US market(hence why most of the new suits in that game are from either Wing/Endless Waltz or G Gundam, which led to several of the suits from the previous game being dummied out to make room for the new guys), and didn't get a Japanese release till a good year or two after it's US release