Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

The Notorious ZSB posted:

He said he would fight Sendo, but he never promised to fight him next.

that still seems like a bizarre mealy mouthed answer that i don't think fits with ricardo's characterization so far. it's like, technically correct, but there is a reason both the audience and sendo were certain that this fight would happen. ricardo promised, and it was strongly implied to the point of being taken as a given that if they both won their bouts, they'd face off subsequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

No Wave posted:

After 1200 chapters I don't think this manga has taken a single major plot point from AnJ. Sendo looks like Joe obviously but that's really it.

I baselessly speculate that Wally will lose but Ricardo will take a beating and have to retire. This can't just be another "Ricardo strong" match. But Wally as end boss is too terrible for me to imagine, I reruse.

Outright plot points no, the stories are significantly too different but we're literally in an arc where the three primary characters are explicitly based off of anj characters, there's very clearly a major influence

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Has there been even one fight where Ippo looked like a competent boxer

ik this is a joke but its kinda funny how if you go about actually trying to answer this, the story was very, very obviously setting up ippo getting weaker and i think most of us just missed it or thought it was indicative of like, later-stage sitcom writing where the character's prominent traits become cartoony

he seems very competent pretty consistently actually in the early part of the story, even his first and second pro fights offer moments of ingenuity far beyond his experience. that same cleverness shows up for his in-fight assessment vs mashiba, too, and is another example of how ippo tends to be at his best when he's got some additional motivation for the fight beyond it just being on his schedule. i'd contend pretty much straight through to date, he's a very good fighter at that, and his fight vs date was obviously a clearly great one given how far he pushed a much stronger opponent.

and truthfully i feel the same through to sendo. but pretty much immediately after that, it's like he loses his marbles. his fight vs sanada was embarassing, and the same for the undersea guy. what do you know though, he performed extremely competently against sawamura (another fight where he had external motivation) (though this is tempered ig by karasawa, who he did not really care about), but then he was dogshit vs all the pacific ppl and for the most part vs gonzalez and guevera.

considering what these plot points led to, it's actually kinda noticable in retrospect

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To add on to that, he was not used to being Champion during his first few and reaching that resulted in a motivation drop. This was also hit harder when Date lost and retired and Ippo realized he would never fight him again right before the Sea guy. After fighting Sawamura he seemed to regain his motivation as he was promised a Miyata fight if he could get over some of his weaknesses and he beat his challengers pretty easily. Then the Miyata fight was permanently canceled cause of Miyata dropping out of it to fight Randy. And that was when Kamogawa decided to have him fight the OPBF regional champions instead of Miyata.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Morikawa is such a loving troll.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sendo is the new protagonist and we can't have him actually meaningfully progress can we?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Woli gives me the impression that he'll be pulled out to fight against one of the other cast members

lol

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tbp posted:

that still seems like a bizarre mealy mouthed answer that i don't think fits with ricardo's characterization so far. it's like, technically correct, but there is a reason both the audience and sendo were certain that this fight would happen. ricardo promised, and it was strongly implied to the point of being taken as a given that if they both won their bouts, they'd face off subsequently.

Yeah I don't disagree, I'm just kinda trying to figure out what the potential loophole is and that's all I had.

I'm guessing given he was banged up Ricardo's manager found a opponent who could face him sooner, Wally didn't have a busted hand and Ricardo wants Sendo at full strength because of course he cannot fathom losing to anyone, but the guy that knocked him down is intriguing? Maybe he views this match with Wally as some pointless exhibition against the #3 who he thinks really has no chance so there is little risk in facing him before Sendo?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i think i dropped this manga around the wally fight and have generally kept up to date via this thread and came back to reading for the sendo fight. this better be ricardo's team overriding him or something because i don't like a ricardo that goes back on his word. lord help us if wally somehow wins.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

tbp posted:

Outright plot points no, the stories are significantly too different but we're literally in an arc where the three primary characters are explicitly based off of anj characters, there's very clearly a major influence
I don't think Woli has a whole lot in common with Carlos, if that's the third you're mentioning.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

No Wave posted:

I don't think Woli has a whole lot in common with Carlos, if that's the third you're mentioning.

I think he's talking about Harimau. I've not actually watched AnJ, but I've seen the comparisons.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I literally have no recollection of that character, mb...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

No Wave posted:

woli is based off of harimau, who was a wild man picked up from a jungle that served as the prelude to joe's cte arc.

woli is also a wild man picked up from a jungle where his arc leads directly into ippo's cte arc.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

No Wave posted:

I literally have no recollection of that character, mb...

oh no worries. its so clear that i read and respond to these posts in order lmao. it's fair not to remember because, much like woli, harimau was without question the worst loving fight in anj.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

if anyone is upset at spoilers i don't care. this fight was so outrageously bad. this is a real page from it. they're doing flips in the ring.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I made myself sad reading that too :negative:

Context:

Soth posted:

STRETCHIN DIS poo poo OUT. Lets not forget all the other guys having their fights too.

Chapter 2,136 - Miyata and Ippo's Destined Match Intro
Chapter 2,137 - The author dies of old age, SORRY BROS.

Geop posted:

My worst fear is that this happens to Ippo and Berserk! :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

tbp posted:

if anyone is upset at spoilers i don't care. this fight was so outrageously bad. this is a real page from it. they're doing flips in the ring.

so you're telling me that ricardo is gonna do sick backflips next fight?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Was Blanka in street fighter based on Harimau too? Raised in the jungle, does that flipping thing at opponents, generally fights like an animal

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 22, 2021

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Was Blanka in street fighter based on Harimau too? Raised in the jungle, does that flipping thing at opponents, generally fughts like an animsl

this guy seems to think so.

https://twitter.com/fffightinfacts/status/1394019577634373636

lmao at that biting attack

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So that fight ends with Harimau being disqualified for straight up biting a dude in the open, right? :V

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

So that fight ends with Harimau being disqualified for straight up biting a dude in the open, right? :V

I think he also headbuts Joe before that cause he is losing his mind. I think he gets knocked out right after this before he can be disqualified, but I don’t remember.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

from that thread https://twitter.com/fffightinfacts/status/1394022221035749380/photo/1

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Fictional boxing continues to be cleaner than real boxing

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

the story acknowledges the absurdity of it all, but joe concocts some alternate superhuman attack that manages to take advantage of harimau's seeming ability to flip 5-6 times in one jump and lands a counter and he wins before the ref does anything

anj spoilers
now, this isn't to say the refs are any good in AnJ. they're legit probably worse than in HnI. one of the most famous fights in the whole series, joe vs carlos, ends with them starting to foul and cheat (both) in the mid rounds, and while the ref "disqualifies" both of them, the two are allowed to legitimately just brawl in the ring for like 5-6 rounds doing kicks and elbows and poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

the story acknowledges the absurdity of it all, but joe concocts some alternate superhuman attack that manages to take advantage of harimau's seeming ability to flip 5-6 times in one jump and lands a counter and he wins before the ref does anything

He actually did that earlier in the match. Harimau just got desperate and started fouling like crazy. When he does the knee and bite the Ref said he's disqualified and Joe wins. Joe interrupts him saying he has won and says Harimau can do what he wants then beats the poo poo out of him knocking him out. Then the stunned ref says Joe wins.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

He actually did that earlier in the match. Harimau just got desperate and started fouling like crazy. When he does the knee and bite the Ref said he's disqualified and Joe wins. Joe interrupts him saying he has won and says Harimau can do what he wants then beats the poo poo out of him knocking him out. Then the stunned ref says Joe wins.

Also Harimau breaks his neck and dies and nothing is done about this

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seems like a lot of people die in ANJ

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Things I know about Ashita No Joe

1. Manga about boxing?

2. Holy poo poo did you know he dies though

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I picked up the blurays of the anime since someone mentioned them up thread and lmao at them letting Ippo just get brutalized in his first spar. The coach is insane.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The weirder bit of Beginning Ippo is Takamura actually giving a poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cisneros posted:

Also Harimau breaks his neck and dies and nothing is done about this

I did not get any impression Harimau died. I think it would have been mentioned if he was dead. It looks like he just gets knocked out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

This kinda piqued my interest so I was gonna go read the Harimau fight, and while googling around trying to find what chapter he first appeared in I came across the wiki page that lists his height at 5'4/163cm and his reach at 83"/215cm like what the gently caress

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Flesnolk posted:

Seems like a lot of people die in ANJ

I’m glad Youko manages to send Joe to his death for all the times he was rude to her

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm actually intrigued by this, if it's taken as a chance for a revision of Wally as a more serious boxer now that he's more experienced. Morikawa might be interested in trying to take a kind of second pass at something he feels he didn't manage properly the first time. Alternatively it might just be terrible again.

And I also don't yet see how it fits into the broader dramatic structure.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seeing him play off Ricardo the boring perfect punchbot will be pretty funny either way, I'm actually looking forwards to it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe Wally beat Ricardo with a dropkick, how come nobody else thought of that before?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The bell rings and Wally just pulls out a gun and shoots Ricardo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Flesnolk posted:

The bell rings and Wally just pulls out a gun and shoots Ricardo

Call an ambulance...

BUT NOT FOR ME!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm rewatching the anime, and the early series trend of Ippo's opponents all having some big important reason to be fighting, some of them with their entire future riding on the outcome of that match, while Ippo's motive is just "gee, I sure like boxing" is pretty hilarious. Slightly less so given he proceeds to break most of them in goddamn half, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
One of the early fights I really like is when he fights the speed dude.

His opponent doesn't do something really dumb, Ippo actually outboxes him and does it in a pretty convincing manner.