Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I know I'm a little behind the curve but I've never worked for a company that didn't fire you as soon as you put in your two weeks.

I had one company where I worked a week after my notice, before that I worked EMS and they let me work a full 2 weeks. I have also been called up on my work provided cellphone to be fired with the phone service disconnected 5 min later (at the time they gave me the phone they said I could use it for personal if I wanted, good thing I didn't). Tis a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I know I'm a little behind the curve but I've never worked for a company that didn't fire you as soon as you put in your two weeks.

It really depends on what your job is and how far you are up in the company. Any job where you’re managing clients or doing a lot of paperwork or anyone who’s running a team of people is going to get the two weeks so they can close everything out and transition their responsibilities to other people.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I just want to say this again, all these stories about getting fired after putting in your two weeks are from america right? I'm pretty sure every sane country the idea you could get fired during your last two weeks is insane. at least in klanada, you actually have to either get paid for two weeks or have two weeks notice before they can lay you off, with only firing for obvious cause not requiring that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
One time I gave a company a whole month because I liked my coworkers and didn't want to gently caress them over. My boss told me not to tell anyone, defeating the purpose of notice. Of course, I did anyway but if I'd listened to him it would have been a massive morale killer: my TD had given notice for the same week and both of us would have left without any actual handoff

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardent Communist posted:

I just want to say this again, all these stories about getting fired after putting in your two weeks are from america right? I'm pretty sure every sane country the idea you could get fired during your last two weeks is insane. at least in klanada, you actually have to either get paid for two weeks or have two weeks notice before they can lay you off, with only firing for obvious cause not requiring that.

Yeah. It’s pretty common in the US for some jobs, especially low level stuff like retail clerks or call center employees. Also some small business tyrants will just take it as a personal rejection and fire people on the spot. But if you’re working for a moderate sized company (where there’s an HR to keep the boss from throwing a tantrum and firing you on the spot) and you’re not on the bottom rung then you’ll usually get the two weeks

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

You can fire people instantly for no reason. That's what's so funny about American employment law: they can fire you for no reasons, but there's also a bunch of reasons they *can't* fire you for.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

You can fire people instantly for no reason. That's what's so funny about American employment law: they can fire you for no reasons, but there's also a bunch of reasons they *can't* fire you for.

And yet people still gently caress that up lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Actually have a funny story about that. Guy owned a restaurant and the person who did his books put in notice and he was super hurt she wanted to leave and fired her on the spot. Figured he could run everything. But he thought his point of sales software handled the remitting and return filing part of his sales tax instead of just the collecting part. So he spent like six months collecting but not remitting.

Washington does not like when you do that, fyi

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah like at a lot of companies there's still the whole process you have in other countries of documenting issues and developing a case to fire for cause, not because it's legally required, but because otherwise managers will get the company into hot water because they're the dumbest people alive. My favorite manager moment was when my friend asked why she was passed over for promotion and it took like 5 tries because they kept admitting it was because she took long term disability during the pandemic. Note from a doctor and everything.

Eventually she went to hr and just said "look wouldn't it be better for everyone if you gave me three months severance and I never talked to anyone about my time working here again?" And they agreed and it was a happy ending.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

At my last job I initially gave a month's notice, but then they wanted me to start my new job earlier so I changed it to two weeks, which INFURIATED the CEO (small business, same one I mentioned before) and he was like YOU WILL WORK YOUR rear end OFF EVERY GOD drat MINUTE OF THAT TWO WEEKS YOU HEAR ME!

He then called me back into his office 30 minutes later after my immediate boss had talked to him and was like "y'know what... I've calmed down, how about you take the two weeks off instead, paid...". As far as I can tell, my boss told him just how badly I could gently caress poo poo Up if I wanted to. That was neat :allears:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

That city is called "The State of Florida" and the government resolved to keep doing it on principle even though it was a giant money sinkhole.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Don’t forget that the “city official” is now a US Senator

lol of course that horrible story would be much, much worse than I recall.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Y'know this Onion bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX-D4kkPOQ

Living in Florida is basically like that, but also people get hurt by the money hole somehow too.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

And yet people still gently caress that up lmao

This really is the most hilarious thing about it

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The person who wrote a letter for Tuesday's Ask a Manager is capitalism.txt incarnate.

A sociopath posted:

I’m not comfortable with one of my new staff members and how overconfident she is. Her work is great and she needed very little training but she’s got very big britches.

“Jane” has only been with us for two months. Just today she asked for a meeting with me and our payroll manager. It turns out payroll made an error entering her direct deposit information that resulted in Jane not getting paid, not once but two times.

Our company requires potential candidates to complete sample assignments during the interview process and we pay them an hourly contractor rate. It turns out she didn’t get paid for her assignment period, or for the next full pay cycle. The payroll employee apologized directly to Jane in an email, because it was their error in entering her information and not following up/fixing it that resulted in Jane not getting paid. Jane was able to show emails back and forth where she checked in with the payroll employee and asked if it was fixed, which they confirmed it was. Today was payday and Jane didn’t get paid. She checked with the employee again and they acknowledged that they “thought” it was fixed. It’s upsetting for Jane, I understand, but I think she was out of line about the whole thing. People make mistakes.

Neither payroll nor I knew anything about it until today. We both apologized and assured her the issue would be handled. After that, she looked at me and the payroll manager and said, “I appreciate your apology, but I need you both to understand that this can’t happen again. This has put me under financial strain and I can’t continue to work for COMPANY if this isn’t corrected today.”

The payroll manager was heavily in agreement, but I was speechless that she’d speak to management like that.

Payroll handled the whole thing and cut her a check with the okay from HR. Jane had referenced that not being paid put her in financial hardship and unable to pay bills, so HR allowed the use of the employee hardship fund and gave her $500 in gift cards so she can get groceries and gas and catch up on bills. I’m just kind of floored that she’s getting gift cards after speaking to her superiors like that. I’m also uncomfortable because why is our company responsible for her fiscal irresponsibility? Her personal finances or debts are not the company’s responsibility. I just don’t think it’s the company’s responsibility to give her more than what she’s earned (the extra $500 from the employee emergency relief fund) to fix things for her if she overspent or didn’t prioritize her bills or save smartly. We also don’t know if she is actually experiencing a financial hardship or just claiming she was.

HR allowed her paid time to go to the bank today and deposit her check. I told our HR person that while it’s not okay Jane didn’t get paid, the way she approached it was uncalled for. HR told me, “She’s right, it can’t happen again and it shouldn’t have happened at all.”

I’m getting tired of the respect gap I’m seeing with younger staff. I think Jane would be better suited in a different department. I’m not comfortable having her on my team since it’s obvious she doesn’t understand she’s entry-level and not in charge. Should I wait a while before suggesting she transfer to a different department?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

HR allowed the use of the employee hardship fund and gave her $500 in gift cards so she can get groceries and gas and catch up on bills.

Ahahahahaha sure let me pay my bills with gift cards thanks

That's gotta be fake though, what kind of company would have an "employee hardship fund" at all

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
it's okay to fire Jane. workers who do a good job and don't require much training are many in number, easy to find

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

That's gotta be fake though, what kind of company would have an "employee hardship fund" at all

It's better not to call it the "let's not get ourselves sued fund" in front of the rabble.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shame Boy posted:

Maybe they gave her iTunes cards so that she could cover any taxes she owed the IRS.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah like at a lot of companies there's still the whole process you have in other countries of documenting issues and developing a case to fire for cause, not because it's legally required, but because otherwise managers will get the company into hot water because they're the dumbest people alive. My favorite manager moment was when my friend asked why she was passed over for promotion and it took like 5 tries because they kept admitting it was because she took long term disability during the pandemic. Note from a doctor and everything.

Eventually she went to hr and just said "look wouldn't it be better for everyone if you gave me three months severance and I never talked to anyone about my time working here again?" And they agreed and it was a happy ending.

they should really add "how not to get your company sued" to MBA coursework

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Oct 21, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kreeblah posted:

The person who wrote a letter for Tuesday's Ask a Manager is capitalism.txt incarnate.

:guillotine:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That ask a manager story really drives home how loving stupid managers are. Like this lady pulls out the email chain & coins start spilling out of HR's mouth like a loving slot machine, and this guy can't figure out what is really going on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If that is real, that employee is being exceptionally kind to that company. I think I would just stop showing up to work after the second time they missed my paycheck.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Shame Boy posted:

~My Union~ has one

Anyway props to Jane

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ardent Communist posted:

well until up to about a year ago, managers and small business tyrants basically assumed that there was a never ending supply of unskilled labor willing to work for peanuts so the thought of not being able to replace someone was basically unheard of.

one personal experience is when i worked at a restaurant, the boss kind of liked me, which was fine. i was indifferent towards him, but he really hated this one particular waitress, Kim. Anyway Kim didn't care for the boss much either but she was a waitress there for over a year and eventually found another job and in the interest of not being a dick, Kim did what she was supposed to do and gave 2 weeks notice. The day after she did that, the boss called her at home and non-chanataly said "yea i dont think im gonna need you next week" so that was about 5 or 6 shifts including weekends just poofed.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
yeah, i've worked in at a restaurant, it's the wild west. still, if she had like photos or something that proved she had those shifts till she quit, she might be able to get some money, in lieu and all that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Ours used to frog march us to the door instantly when you handed it in. Clear your table, hand in your badge, whole network account deleted by next morning.
Now since we've been understaffed the last 5+ years, its 'sure but can you do the full next two weeks?' and those who agree just spend the time playing games.

We also had a non-compete clause saying we couldn't work in the same industry for 6 months.
Used to scare us, the peons.
Then it was dropped when a good chuck of the upper management just up'ed and hosed off to a direct competitor, some literally starting that next week at the new place.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Abongination posted:

Drug testing is a big money maker with a lot of investment from those that dictate that people need to be tested.

cf Florida and Rick scott I believe

e: oh nvm

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Milo and POTUS posted:

cf Florida and Rick scott I believe

e: oh nvm

lol, although to be fair I don't think anyone mentioned that Rick Scott's wife was part of the company that did the drug testing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So I kinda keep an eye on AI killing machines because they scare me. And this company makes a few that are currently being used to kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bj8kZ8_Ne4

So I was wondering when we'll see these types of machines deployed in the US. I figured they'll probably start out non-lethal, and then expand from there as it becomes more normalized.

Welp.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/26/9211165/north-dakota-armed-drones-tasers

North Dakota has legalized the use of drones shooting tasers and spraying tear gas.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

So I was wondering when we'll see these types of machines deployed in the US.

Didn't the US police strap a gun onto a drone a year or two ago to shoot at someone?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

happyhippy posted:

Didn't the US police strap a gun onto a drone a year or two ago to shoot at someone?

They blew up teh Houston cop shooter by putting a bomb on a bomb robot and blowing him up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Boywhiz88 posted:

They blew up teh Houston cop shooter by putting a bomb on a bomb robot and blowing him up.

Dallas, not Houston.

E: 5 years ago

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/08/485262777/for-the-first-time-police-used-a-bomb-robot-to-kill

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Probably, but the thing about those STI drones is that they have an autonomous AI mode for finding their own targets and killing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqv9yaPLhEk

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/director-squid-game-says-about-capitalism-actually-about-communism

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wile E Coyote poo poo.

His name was Micah Xavier Johnson for the record :v:.

spacetoaster posted:

So I kinda keep an eye on AI killing machines because they scare me. And this company makes a few that are currently being used to kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bj8kZ8_Ne4

So I was wondering when we'll see these types of machines deployed in the US. I figured they'll probably start out non-lethal, and then expand from there as it becomes more normalized.

Welp.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/26/9211165/north-dakota-armed-drones-tasers

North Dakota has legalized the use of drones shooting tasers and spraying tear gas.

Watch Israel. They will be the first to use it for internal control, and they have fairly good ones that were used when Armenia got invaded.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Watch Israel. They will be the first to use it for internal control, and they have fairly good ones that were used when Armenia got invaded.

They're already doing it with automated machine gun turrets, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ7ZjdBpElU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I just do not loving understand how the people who work on this poo poo sleep at night.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

I just do not loving understand how the people who work on this poo poo sleep at night.

Engineers man. Engineers.

Some souless goul in the government says: "Hey, can we make an autonomous robot that kills people?"

And then the engineers are like: "Oooh! A problem to solve!"

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
when I was a kid I loved weapons and weaponry and big explosions and stuff and I would have liked to make bigger explosions and better weaponry if offered the opportunity. i assume some people just always feel that way into adulthood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm a little late with quitchat but here's my story:

6 years ago I was at a horrible job where everyone was leaving. I went into the office and said I'm quitting, I'm putting my two weeks in. The manager said okay you just got to fill out this form.

But there were no forms. So many people were quitting they were out of the forms to quit.

The manager told me sorry, you can't quit today. We're going to print more forms, come and quit tomorrow.

So I worked my full shift. Then I came into the office the next day and yes there were more forms and yes I did put in my two weeks notice.

I like to say I gave them 15 days notice.

drat that'd be a nice loophole for the company

"you can't quit today, we don't have the forms. come back tomorrow."

*comes back tomorrow*

"you can't quit today, we don't have the forms. come back tomorrow."

etc etc