Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Let antivaxxers get heath care but ban social media for everyone imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

This discussion is pretty lovely because if we changed the topic to something like obesity, we would agree that rationing care is pretty terrible - even if the majority of this country is overweight.

gently caress antivaxxers but "healthcare for only those who deserve it" is just libertarianism with extra steps.

Not being unvaccinated isn't something that requires months to years of continuous work to achieve and a lifetime of lifestyle changes to maintain.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Phigs posted:

Not being unvaccinated isn't something that requires months to years of continuous work to achieve and a lifetime of lifestyle changes to maintain.

And?

The principle of universal healthcare is that it's universal. Unconditional. You may not like it but that's what it is.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
exclude jbp tommunist mangething from this thread

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress, you guys are cooked. I will continue to depense health care too who ever needs it, so will everyone of my other colleges. Log off you gently caress heads and gain some loving perspective. Holy poo poo. What is wrong with you guys,? Has the media wound you all up the much.

Let's just introduce eugenic while we are at it.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
If there is anything the lockdown in Melbourne has taught me, it's that the leftists who exclaimed support for abolition of police last year are perfectly fine with:

- The existence of cops
- Those same cops punishing people for breaking laws
- Rationing healthcare based on morals

You guys are absolutely hosed. I'd be much more tolerant of you if you just admitted that you're fascists.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
What should healthcare be rationed on then? And don't say healthcare shouldn't be rationed because that's not an answer that's just avoiding the question. There's no correct answer to the trolley problem but "better rail safety" is definitely a wrong answer. Avoiding hard questions just means you end up with easy answers and the easy answer to "what should healthcare be rationed on?" will be wealth and citizenship and race.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

StrangeThing posted:

If there is anything the lockdown in Melbourne has taught me, it's that the leftists who exclaimed support for abolition of police last year are perfectly fine with:

- The existence of cops

You guys are absolutely hosed. I'd be much more tolerant of you if you just admitted that you're fascists.

I'm an ultra liberal actually.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I love it when people get surprised leftists have more nuanced viewpoints than they assumed.

And vaccination is not a moral issue. It's a public health issue. It's a public endangerment issue. It's a hey let's not let the pandemic kill a fuckload of people issue. If our plan is to use vaccination rates to avoid murdering a bunch of our citizens with our open ups then I'm fine with everything up to and including physically holding people down and jabbing them against their will to get the rate as high as we can.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's good that the cops checked on my hyper privileged idiot mate and his airhead wife twice a day when they came back from the US and had to isolate imo because they can't be trusted.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

StrangeThing posted:

- The existence of cops

Putting aside rationing based on vaccinations being dumb, in what way is this fascism? I'm curious and I'm sure you have a great explanation

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

StrangeThing posted:

Nice avatar you got there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Enforcing public health orders = bad
Not affording everyone healthcare = bad
Letting slowest walker diminish safety of others = good

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

JBP posted:

JBP out here hustlegrinding for that reál.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Launchpad McQuack posted:

gently caress, you guys are cooked. I will continue to depense health care too who ever needs it, so will everyone of my other colleges. Log off you gently caress heads and gain some loving perspective. Holy poo poo. What is wrong with you guys,? Has the media wound you all up the much.

That's kinda the point, we don't need to introduce eugenics, the eugenicists have that covered already. When we get to a point where your bosses are telling you who gets priority of care (and it will happen at some point, not necessarily to you but to someone in your position, you can't prepare for everything forever) the eugenicists already have an answer ready to go, as do the nationalists and the neo-Nazis. If the best answer the rest of us have is "this shouldn't have happened" then the other answers are going to be the what policy is based on.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Lets check to see what was actually said

Vic AMA posted:

“We’re all juggling everything the best we can to avoid and prevent deaths. We know as we reopen it’s the unvaccinated who are going to get Covid, and they are going to get great hospital treatment with many new experimental drugs, even though they think the vaccine is ‘experimental’.

“A whole lot of these people are passionate disbelievers that the virus even exists. And they should notify their nearest and dearest and ensure there’s an advanced care directive that says, ‘If I am diagnosed with this disease caused by a virus that I don’t believe exists, I will not disturb the public hospital system, and I’ll let nature run its course’.”

Oh, so the AMA aren't calling for the denial of treatment. However, if you don't believe in COVID-19, why would you seek treatment for a disease that doesn't exist? :confused:

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Putting aside rationing based on vaccinations being dumb, in what way is this fascism? I'm curious and I'm sure you have a great explanation

I'll be sympathetic here and say that it's not surprising to see scepticism of governments declaring emergency powers. Plenty of awful laws were proposed and passed without question in the name of public security - remember the metadata retention laws? (They were used during this pandemic!) So I get people's concerns when they hear that the state is extending its reach. I certainly felt, and still kind of feel, uncomfortable with how Victoria just shut down public transportation in response to protests, no matter how moronic I thought those protests were.

Of course, the pandemic is a very real thing, and exactly the thing that require emergency powers. You need to have some executive authority in place to manage a crisis like this. If only our governments hadn't poisoned that well and compromised trust in these matters for quite a few people.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

StrangeThing posted:

This discussion is pretty lovely because if we changed the topic to something like obesity, we would agree that rationing care is pretty terrible - even if the majority of this country is overweight.

Ignoring the fact that you're a golem hewn out of bad faith arguments:

Yeah except obese people can't spread an airborne potentially fatal condition to others by walking around, and aren't deliberately coughing in the faces of people who are asking them not to do so with the intent of making them sick.

A better analogy would be "should we give the liver transplant to the unrepentant alcoholic who regularly announces their intent to keep drinking? Or prioritise others?"

Back of the loving queue with them.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

dios mio!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

StrangeThing posted:

- The existence of cops

Lmao are you a celestial scribe rereg

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Strange - you leftists say you support human rights yet you don't support the right for me to kiss elderly women while being infectious with a deadly disease? Did you know this is how Nazi Germany started?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I don't know why you are outraged. If you drive ambulances then you know that life saving organ donations have always been rationed to the most likely to survive, smokers, obese, drug addicts put to the back of the queue. Of course someone who refuses to be vaccinated will be passed over for treatment because their immune system will be suppressed and make them very likely to die from covid when others wouldn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

abigserve posted:

Strange - you leftists say you support human rights yet you don't support the right for me to kiss elderly women while being infectious with a deadly disease? Did you know this is how Nazi Germany started?

Curious!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Breetai posted:

Ignoring the fact that you're a golem hewn out of bad faith arguments:

Yeah except obese people can't spread an airborne potentially fatal condition to others by walking around, and aren't deliberately coughing in the faces of people who are asking them not to do so with the intent of making them sick.

A better analogy would be "should we give the liver transplant to the unrepentant alcoholic who regularly announces their intent to keep drinking? Or prioritise others?"

Back of the loving queue with them.

I agree that it was pretty hosed up of us to give Hinch that liver

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, you guys are loving cooked. If you call, I will come . Vaxxers or not vaxxed. I don't give a poo poo. poo poo behind your keyboard dishing out bullshit hate to the ether. I have real tangible stuff to do.

I can't work out if you guys were bullied too much at school or not enough.

I am going with not enough.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Wow, you guys are loving cooked. If you call, I will come . Vaxxers or not vaxxed. I don't give a poo poo. poo poo behind your keyboard dishing out bullshit hate to the ether. I have real tangible stuff to do.

Cool cool

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

poo poo behind your keyboard

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Ok but are you the person who will decide which call gets responded to first if there aren't enough ambulances ready immediately? Or is it someone above you? Are you completely unconcerned with the reasoning that would go into that decision?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I don't agree with withholding care from unvaccinated people but I work in healthcare and it's kind of incredible that a paramedic (?) thinks paramedics universally support dispensing care to every person without fear or favour and only extremely online posters support rationing care.

Emergency medical staff commonly express pro rationing opinions ranging from reasonable to full fascist. Have you never listened to anybody in the ED having a conversation about drug users?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

What do you do when 10 of us call you all at once?

Is it a first come first served basis?

I mean, someone has to make the decision on prioritising the motor vehicle accident vs the cardiac infarct vs the febrile infant.

Saying "magic up more health care" when you're already responding won't help 2 out of those 3 cases.

I do agree that denying someone emergency care based on vax status is definitely not what we want however we have seen some other health systems (e.g. Italy in the early COVID days) have to make really lovely priority decisions. And at some point if people won't take (when they are able to) basic preventative measures like a safe vaccine, then maybe they slip a little down the priority pole.

As it is now, I would be surprised if you can get an organ transplant, or elective surgery, or even non-elective surgery, without vaccination.

And this all goes back to the dismal science of :siren:economics:siren: to make the call on how many health resources we want to have vs something that LNP finds useful like another coal mine or more smart bombs. (yes, yes, vertical fiscal imbalance and state v fed not withstanding)

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 22, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Do people call you directly or does a dispatcher assign jobs based on importance?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Whole lotta people going off without actually reading the actual thing the AMA VIC guy said in context. And what they said was completely resonable and also a lot more nuanced - and also fair bit longer in making the point he wanted to make

quote:

“Covid-deniers” and “anti-vaxxers” should opt out of care in the public health system if they catch the virus as Victoria reopens, says the Victorian branch of the Australian Medical Association.

The AMA Victoria president, Dr Roderick McRae, said those who do not believe Covid-19 is real or a threat should update their advanced care directives and inform their relatives that they do not wish to receive care in the public health system if diagnosed with the virus.

From Friday, many restrictions will lift across the state as it has exceeded 70% full vaccination of those aged over 16. Though Victoria is still recording high daily case numbers, with 2,232 new cases reported on Thursday, high vaccination combined with lower than predicted length of stays in hospital has given the government confidence the health system will cope with measures lifting earlier than first anticipated.
Victoria ambulances
‘Reality of the pandemic’: Victorian ambulances hit peak stress with capacity down to 5%
Read more

But McRae, who is an intensive care physician and an anaesthetist, said health care workers were fatigued from lockdowns, Covid-19 outbreaks, and pressures on the health system, including staff shortages that existed before the pandemic.

“Within the public hospitals, the knees are knocking as restrictions ease, because the situation is stressed to the point that tents are going up outside of the public hospitals to facilitate the removal of ill patients from ambulances, so those ambulances can go and get the next patient,” he said.

Health workers would also be grappling in coming months with a backlog of patients who had been forced to delay their elective surgery because private hospitals and staff were being redirected to treat Covid patients.

“So these patients continue to suffer some pain or disability for a longer period of time, and they’re often patients who’ve been double vaccinated, they’re elderly, and they’ve done everything right, but their knee replacement is being delayed and the public hospital waiting lists are growing,” McRae said.

“We’re all juggling everything the best we can to avoid and prevent deaths. We know as we reopen it’s the unvaccinated who are going to get Covid, and they are going to get great hospital treatment with many new experimental drugs, even though they think the vaccine is ‘experimental’.

“A whole lot of these people are passionate disbelievers that the virus even exists. And they should notify their nearest and dearest and ensure there’s an advanced care directive that says, ‘If I am diagnosed with this disease caused by a virus that I don’t believe exists, I will not disturb the public hospital system, and I’ll let nature run its course’.”

Sign up to receive an email with the top stories from Guardian Australia every morning

McRae urged Victorians eager to make the most of restrictions easing by visiting places they had missed, including bars and restaurants, to wear a mask and be cautious.

“We strongly advise people not to undertake any activity that may lead to inebriation and the requirements for medical care,” he said.

“Now is not the time you want to fall over or get injured, because the hospitals are full. Don’t get too excited about the horse winning the Melbourne Cup if you’re on the brink of having a cardiac issue. Because if you call an ambulance in coming weeks, you may have to wait. There’s no question the hospital will do what they can, but we’re not able to provide the standard of care that we once did because of all of the resource constraints.”

Associate Prof Natasha Smallwood, a respiratory physician and head of Monash University’s chronic respiratory disease laboratory, said lockdowns had been tough on healthcare workers too, who were often managing remote learning and childcare, while worrying that they or their family members may be exposed to Covid, forcing the household to isolate.

She said while she and many other health workers were feeling relief that children were returning to school and they would have more freedoms when trying to take a break between shifts, “as the restrictions ease we will obviously start to see a rise in our case numbers and our modelling suggests that we will hit our peak in January and February”.

“I’m very excited the restrictions will ease but cautious and concerned about what that actually means for myself and other healthcare workers in terms of the volume of Covid-19 patients, both in the community but also in the hospital system, and how we continue to manage that workload,” Smallwood said.

She co-authored a study just published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health which reported findings from a survey of 6,679 frontline health workers, conducted between 27 August and 23 October 2020. They were asked about the main challenges they had faced with the pandemic.

One emergency department worker told the researchers about “not having breaks and having to work 7–10 days straight and also the increased frequency of working shifts and night shifts. I often came home feeling defeated and too tired to take care of my own physical and mental health”.

Another said: “The healthcare workforce felt a bit like being in the army, and I’m not up for that. I feel like my strengths weren’t put to use, I didn’t have a voice, and was expected to ‘step up and step in line’.”
Jeroen Weimar
Victoria Covid update: you have to hold tight until Friday for the right to party, authorities say
Read more

Smallwood said the study found the pandemic had exacerbated pre-existing workplace stresses and created new challenges for frontline health workers including unfamiliar tasks outside their usual scope of work practice, disruption of established teams, rapidly changing policies and procedures, often managers who did not appreciate the stresses placed on staff.

“Things were pretty challenging last year but that is only much, much worse now given that we actually have many more patients who are affected, and we also have a much younger population as well,” Smallwood said.

“People often say ‘but you have vaccination now’, and while obviously being protected is really important, the ongoing mental health impacts, the occupational challenges, and the disruption and changes the pandemic has generated for health care workers means the conditions for them are much worse now.”

Appropriately paying health workers, especially nurses, for their sacrifices “rather than sending them a link to an online wellbeing video, or giving them a chocolate frog” would go some way towards making health workers feel valued and strong enough to continue working as restrictions ease, she said.

“Many of us have to deal with patients who say that they don’t believe in Covid, or their family members who call the hospital ward and say that they don’t believe Covid is what their loved one has, and that also sometimes leads to threats of occupational violence.”

The ACTUAL point if you dont hyperfocus on a throwaway line is the hospital system is exhausted and workers close to breaking.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

obviously withholding all medical care from unvaccinated people is crazy. healthcare for everyone etc etc.

this doesn't change that prioritisation and triage is a real necessity, especially as governments routinely underfund public health. if not being vaccinated increases someone's risk of harm from other medical services in a meaningful enough way, or puts other people at risk, then it unfortunately becomes a lower priority. that's just the horrible world we live in.

it's easy to combine this with fury at anti-vaxxers and exaggerate it into "gently caress 'em, no care for them at all", but i don't think the AMA or anyone reasonable is proposing that. i read the AMA statement as them pushing anti-vaxxers to commit to their beliefs. if they really think the vaccine is out to get them, commit to that and save the overworked healthcare staff a bit more headache.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Whole lotta people going off without actually reading the actual thing the AMA VIC guy said in context. And what they said was completely resonable and also a lot more nuanced - and also fair bit longer in making the point he wanted to make

The ACTUAL point if you dont hyperfocus on a throwaway line is the hospital system is exhausted and workers close to breaking.

They read it but are having a debate about the throwaway line and counterfactuals instead

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But rationing care, of course, is simply a hypothetical, a parlour game if you will

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I recall triage stories from Italy and the US where doctors and nurses were completely breaking down from having to pick and choose who to treat. In a situation where doctors have to pick and choose who to treat I expect them to de-prioritise unvaccinated people without exemptions.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
For the record I was bullied too much :(

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Enforcing public health orders = bad
Not affording everyone healthcare = bad
Letting slowest walker diminish safety of others = good

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Only in front of you savage.