Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That just reminds me of the NOBLEMAN, SWERVE meme image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Pendragon estate management loving sucks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Reign has its Company rules, Kevin Crawford's games have rules for running factions and communities. (An Echo Resounding and Other Dust are the best ones to look at, IMO.) And Mutant: Year Zero has a whole subsystem where you can build up your community with defenses, agriculture, workshops, etc. without tracking hectares of land and bushels of rye.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most games barely function as 'hit the mens with the swords' dice games let along trying to branch out into feudal life simulators.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Anyone have suggestions for a worldbuilding game for filling out the background of a superhero TTRPG setting? Preferably something collaborative in the vein of say Microscope or The Quiet Year.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

The best detail is near the bottom of the first image, where you can see that the rules require that your lord actually have to make a roll in order to convince his serfs to change what they're planting.

Fireballin' m'small folk because they planted rye AGAIN

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most games barely function as 'hit the mens with the swords' dice games let along trying to branch out into feudal life simulators.

Genuinely I want a feudal life simulator but like, at the level of village and without that much crunch. I'm not that invested in figuring out how much rye to plant in the same way I'm not that invested in getting good at alchemy, I want the character to handle that, but the peculiarities of the politics for farmers and landlords and the local monks and so on...yes, yes...

E: like AW is probably about the level of detail

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

GetDunked posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a worldbuilding game for filling out the background of a superhero TTRPG setting? Preferably something collaborative in the vein of say Microscope or The Quiet Year.

I hear Spectaculars is good for this.

Or you could buy my game See Issue X which isn't exactly what you're looking for but is at least kind of just outside that wheelhouse and peering in the door.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tulip posted:

Genuinely I want a feudal life simulator but like, at the level of village and without that much crunch. I'm not that invested in figuring out how much rye to plant in the same way I'm not that invested in getting good at alchemy, I want the character to handle that, but the peculiarities of the politics for farmers and landlords and the local monks and so on...yes, yes...

Hey buddy.

Want some King of Dragon Pass? All the graphics are literal paintings.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

potatocubed posted:

I hear Spectaculars is good for this.

Or you could buy my game See Issue X which isn't exactly what you're looking for but is at least kind of just outside that wheelhouse and peering in the door.

I did actually buy See Issue X! It would be nearly perfect for what I'm trying to do except that I'm trying to fill out an entire team and its history. (Possible expansion?) I might look it over again and see how much sense it would make if written from the point of view of a whole team.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tulip posted:

Yeah, you would probably like Mutant Year Zero's system, just reskinning/removing the stuff that pertains to electricity and guns.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hey buddy.

Want some King of Dragon Pass? All the graphics are literal paintings.

It's literally my favorite game lol

One of my favorite parties was playing it on a projector with a bunch of my buddies.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, you would probably like Mutant Year Zero's system, just reskinning/removing the stuff that pertains to electricity and guns.

Oh sick I'll check that out

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

GetDunked posted:

Spectaculars isn't quite like Microscope/Quiet Year, but it's fantastic for fleshing out a supers setting. It's one of my top 5 systems.

Basically, you have a Setting Book filled with tropes (the War-Torn Country, the Super Science Lab, the Mega Corporation, the S.H.I.E.L.D. analogue, etc.), but they're all undefined. Each trope is a page with ~5 questions, each with ~5 suggested answers or a "make something else up that sounds cool" option. Whenever you play through a heroic adventure (about 50 in the box, each designed for a session), the adventures all refer to the tropes by trope. If you encounter a trope and haven't defined it yet, you pause play and define it as a table.

In short order, you have a fully fleshed out setting that your table is all invested in. I don't use Spectaculars much since Covid, but I've been playing in the supers universe we created there for years.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tulip posted:

It's literally my favorite game lol

One of my favorite parties was playing it on a projector with a bunch of my buddies.

That sounds immensely dope.

I've introduced so many friends to it over the last 20+ years it's absurd, and always pretty much by just handing them a computer/tablet and being around to ask questions while I do something else.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I would like to play the feudal life simulator where each player is the knight in charge of a different nearby lovely village who all hate each other, but they can't escalate to murder because they all answer to the same king so instead they have to persuade their peasants to go steal the other village's peasants' lucky pig and frame someone else for it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How pas-serf aggressive of them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Whybird posted:

I would like to play the feudal life simulator where each player is the knight in charge of a different nearby lovely village who all hate each other, but they can't escalate to murder because they all answer to the same king so instead they have to persuade their peasants to go steal the other village's peasants' lucky pig and frame someone else for it.

Still almost exactly King of Dragon Pass.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

Still almost exactly King of Dragon Pass.

You still kind of only play one village, though. The choices you make may influence the other clans in your tribe once you get there, but you only control your own ring.

If that's what you want, in a tabletop setting you could probably run Kingdom. Maybe Ben Robbins will publish "Kingdoms", where each person gets to play a different one.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tulip posted:

Check out Sagas of the Icelanders, because it is a very close match to what you want - in fact, I've run that campaign in it. The default assumption of the game is that you're a family of Icelanders living off of your homestead, doing your own thing but in frequent regular contact with your neighbors - and because it's a Norse saga, that means drama and feuds, the politics of the althing, and the slow-burning conflict between the religion of your forefathers and that of the Christian slaves they brought back with them. Some of the playbooks are pretty badass huscarls and shieldmaidens and such, but those playbooks are supposed to exist as supporting cast to The Person Who Runs The Farm, The Person Who Runs The House, and Their Kids (who grow up in play choose other playbooks later).

My group ended up playing a household centered around a pair of sisters taking over the homestead after the (possibly supernatural, possibly mundane) madness of their father killed their parents, their much younger brother struggling with gender identity issues (in a system where "Gendered" is both a stat and pointed social commentary), and an aging huscarl divided between loyalty to the daughters of his battle-brother and his craving to win glory and riches before he grows too old. One sister had abrogated her responsibilities to the family and gone off a-viking for years (and taken the Shieldmaiden playbook, with a few moves from The Man), while the other had stayed on the farm all her life raising their baby brother and becoming extremely spooky (the Seidkona playbook, with a few moves from The Woman) as the farm fell into disrepair for lack of hands to tend it.

Not a session went by that wasn't driven, in some way, by the Man's and Woman's playbook moves. Tending the needs of the farmstead and household - its crops, cattle, maintenance, winter stores, tools, fabric, luxuries for guests and celebrations, upgrades and expansions, etc. - had to be considered, because the alternative was falling into destitution and poverty, and worse, into the debt of neighbors you're probably already feuding with, or who you're trying to impress enough to arrange a favorable marriage.

It's easily the best of the early PbtA games, and still one of the top 3 even now. Highly recommend giving it a shot.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

moths posted:

How pas-serf aggressive of them.

Boooo

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So what I'm hearing here is that someone needs to go and make a KoDP PbtA where the playbooks are mostly members on the ring. And that one of those playbooks should just outright be That Guy Who's Main Thing is Really Hating Elves.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there's definitely room for a game of, like, court intrigue / internal organizational politics that to my knowledge doesn't really exist. it's something Burning Wheel or maybe Reign could probably do, but the latter wouldn't be trivial and the former is, well, Burning Wheel

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've had in my head, kinda tossing around for years, a (not really feudal) "Great Family rivals & allies" game where each player plays a whole family. Maybe it'd use cards. You'd have a head-of-household, plus family members, plus staff, plus maybe additional attached characters (a bribed judge, for example, or a reliable merchant, or whatever). Then you'd also have Holdings, which could include a manor in the city, or a demense in the country, or both; again maybe represented with cards, each with various modifiers or abilities that you can call on. And then the game is played in seasonal turns - perhaps four per year works, or perhaps a fifth "Festival season" annually as a special turn - and each turn would involve not only managing your own household and holdings, but also RP, jockeying with your rivals, establishing or betraying alliances, etc. This could potentially be GM-less; potentially have NPC houses, who might follow various scripts or not be as fleshed-out as PC houses; and you could either play with a win condition, or perhaps just play indefinitely, with games spanning many generations.

This doesn't have to be specifically fantasy or medieval-ish, either.

Where I've tended to stumble is considering domain managament and falling into too much detail. Maps, hexes, how much barley, etc. bogs things down. And also finding a good interplay between pure roleplay, pure mechanics, and the intersection. It'd be nice for RP to actually affect outcomes rather than just be pasted on top of what really sounds increasingly like a cards-based boardgame. And even a game with a thousand cards might be too limited to sustain a lot of repeated RP, so maybe there is an important role for a GM, or perhaps dynamic creation of new family members/characters/holdings/events ("cards") rather than relying on a pre-determined inflexible set. But then, that's harder to balance...

Anyway just idle thoughts.

Also re: medieval village simulation, I just watched this vid yesterday, highly relevant: serfs weren't slaves is the focus of this video, but more importantly IMO, it lays out what serfs actually were, at least in the British Isles in the early to middle medieval period. And a fair bit of info about what they were doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTm_zb9k2us

One of the lingering issues with "medieval" fantasy is how disconnected it is from what we now know about european medieval society.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Legacy: Life Among the Ruins is about domain management (your Family playbook builds up the world), but it's not terribly crunchy - it is PbtA, after all. Legacy also has a gameplay loop that assumes a 3-100 year jump every few sessions. I've been noodling on what a hack of that to be more Dune/Game of Thrones-ish would look like, where the jump was months, not years, but just as lethal for most of the characters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Leraika posted:

That just reminds me of the NOBLEMAN, SWERVE meme image

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

GetDunked posted:

I was working on something a while back that was basically this, and combined elements of the Smallville lifepath system and the 13th Age Book of Ages setting creation tool.

The quick and dirty version of it is this:

1.) Each player identifies a major city within the setting (although you could probably do small countries, like Latveria and Wakanda, just as well).
2.) Establish the "archetype" for each city (City of Tomorrow, Brutalist Hellhole, New Orleans But Not, etc.)
3.) Identify the major temporal points of interest. For a DC-style setting this would, at a minimum, be Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Dark Age, Modern Age. You may prefer to break it up into decades or include an earlier era (say, if all your cities are on the west coast and you want to establish major players for the Old West). Make a list of these, with the eras as rows and the cities as columns. Add an additional column, Calamity, and an additional row, Soon. (All of the other eras should make sense, but "Soon" is for setting elements you want to earmark as points of interest which will be uncovered during play.)
4.) Starting at the earliest listed era, each player identifies a major hero or team who called that city home in that era. Go into that hero's introduction, powers, public reception, etc. as deep as you want, but it's okay to just sketch it out for now.
5.) As with step four, but this time pick a villain associated with that city.
6.) As with step four, but this time pick a major location, company, supporting cast member, or other element which helps to flesh out the city. (Think STAR Labs, the Daily Planet, or Jimmy Olsen.)
7.) As a group, identify the Calamity that defined the end of this era of heroism and kicked off the next. (With DC this is usually a Crisis, but with Marvel it might be Avengers Disassembled or the Kree-Skrull War.)
8.) Each player identifies an element from this era they're going to reinterpret in a later era. Note this on the setting sheet as well. You do NOT have to pick from your own city, multiple players can all choose to put their own spin on the same setting element, and you can move an element as far forward as you want. (You can decide that a Golden Age cowboy character gets a Bronze Age legacy, or that the kindly old professor who was part of another city's hero's Silver Age origin also has a granddaughter going to college with one of your heroes.)
9.) Repeat steps 4-8 until you have arrived at the Modern Era. Each era introduces a new hero, a new villain, an additional setting element, a new calamity, and carries a handful of elements forward into further iteration.
10.) Each player completes a brief outline based on these notes, it's all put somewhere everyone can see it, and then you begin character creation using your system of choice.

The whole thing should take about as long as an evening tabletop session, but could run long or get dragged into multiple sessions if your group nerds out and wants to flesh things out more. Maybe you want to go with multiple villains per era or introduce three setting elements per city per era. That's probably more detail than most people want, but this framework can handle it.

Whenever I get around to finishing this I'll probably include a bunch of charts for random events and throw it up on DTRPG, but this should get you a good part of the way there.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 22, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm neck deep in 13th Age, and how I didn't think of a Book of Ages spin on supers eludes me. I'm embarrassed.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

thank you

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just finished by read through of Blades in the Dark. There's very little information given about the areas outside Duskwall. Are there splat books that cover these, or are they supposed to be vague so that characters can make up the details like some games have spout lore? There are exp rewards for delving into your background.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I remember there was supposed to be a book about Iruvia, but it hasn't come out. Since the game doesn't really take place outside Duskwall, yeah you're encouraged to make things up. The reward for going into your heritage also includes beliefs, drives, and your life before the crew as well.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah it's deliberately vague, largely to let you paint in details, but also because you're not supposed to be anywhere besides Duskwall and maybe if things go bad some brief expeditions into the deathlands or lost quarter.
I think there was also supposed to be a supplement about the rails that never quite appeared.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Heliotrope posted:

I remember there was supposed to be a book about Iruvia, but it hasn't come out. Since the game doesn't really take place outside Duskwall, yeah you're encouraged to make things up. The reward for going into your heritage also includes beliefs, drives, and your life before the crew as well.

The Iruvia content did come out, it was included with the Special Edition of the book at release. Not sure if they ever released it independently, but you can get your hands on it for sure, and it's a very cool divergence from Duskvol.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just finished by read through of Blades in the Dark. There's very little information given about the areas outside Duskwall. Are there splat books that cover these, or are they supposed to be vague so that characters can make up the details like some games have spout lore? There are exp rewards for delving into your background.

Heliotrope is broadly correct about BitD wanting you to do worldbuilding at the table, but if you want more... Canonical? sources, Harper has done a couple of lengthy streamed Blades games, and everything he introduces into the fiction there is obviously canonical. The Bloodletters game in particular is fantastic, and contains a lot of excellent setting material.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kestral posted:

Heliotrope is broadly correct about BitD wanting you to do worldbuilding at the table, but if you want more... Canonical? sources, Harper has done a couple of lengthy streamed Blades games, and everything he introduces into the fiction there is obviously canonical. The Bloodletters game in particular is fantastic, and contains a lot of excellent setting material.

Has it ever been collected anywhere for folks that don't have time for that? :negative:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Howdy TG, question for y’all: anyone make it to Free RPG Day this year? I had to miss it, was able to grab some stuff from my LGS after the fact, but missed out grabbing some of the more limited items or getting to play anything.

Specifically wondering if anyone got to try out Steamforged Games’ The Hills Have Legs.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ettin posted:

Has it ever been collected anywhere for folks that don't have time for that? :negative:

I'm not certain, sorry! I don't think so, though it may be part of the upcoming Blades-centric release he announced in an interview recently. I will say, however, that in the few minutes I had of searching for U'duasha (the capital city of Iruvia, where the supplement is set), a fair number of sources have excerpted that section from the Special Edition PDF and put it up online. Given that it is literally impossible to get the Special Edition PDF if you weren't a Kickstarter backer several years ago, I can understand why.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My LGS didn't participate this year, but you could try ebay or Noble Knight sometimes does a "buy for a penny" deal on the FRPG Day promos a few weeks after the fact.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Does TG generally like, dislike, or meh on Stars Without Number/Worlds Without Number?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's cool and good

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

Does TG generally like, dislike, or meh on Stars Without Number/Worlds Without Number?
Crawford has a very positive reputation here in basically everything he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't care much for SWN in particular, but I like pretty much everything else he's ever done, particularly Other Dust and Silent Legions.