Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

kind of bizarre in a way. i kind of assumed don't starve wasn't getting much attention anymore, but i guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Johnny Joestar posted:

kind of bizarre in a way. i kind of assumed don't starve wasn't getting much attention anymore, but i guess not.

Don''t Starve Together still receives regular content updates.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Terraria will never stop getting updates. Ever.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Terraria makes so much goddamn money and the developer likes working on it so much that he can spend years paying a team to develop a follow-up and then decide he's not really in love with it and just nix the whole thing. King.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this time, for sure, will be the last terraria update

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Augus posted:

The only time I'll believe that it's truly the last Terraria update is when/if Terraria 2 is released.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d be interested in a paid Terraria expansion instead of Terraria 2. It’s already just such a solid game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does each Jungle biome only have one Hive, or are there multiple? I beefed it against the Queen Bee and whatever object I destroyed in the Jungle to summon it didn't respawn, so I'm wondering if I should keep digging around for a second Hive or just craft its summoning item.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Does each Jungle biome only have one Hive, or are there multiple? I beefed it against the Queen Bee and whatever object I destroyed in the Jungle to summon it didn't respawn, so I'm wondering if I should keep digging around for a second Hive or just craft its summoning item.

Depending on the size of your world, there can be many hives, though smaller ones may not have the breakable thingy. If you run out, your only option is crafting. They do not respawn.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Augus posted:

Both 1.3 and 1.4 were supposed to be the last update... they've had several "last updates" so far.

That's why I can't quite believe them when they say that this is the last update... for real this time. Until they get ideas/whatever new game they're developing falls through.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wyvernil posted:

Both 1.3 and 1.4 were supposed to be the last update... they've had several "last updates" so far.

That's why I can't quite believe them when they say that this is the last update... for real this time. Until they get ideas/whatever new game they're developing falls through.

Yes, that is the joke.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

C-Euro posted:

There'll usually be a number of hives in the Jungle. The exact number depends on world size and RNG, but you should have at least 3-4 tries before you have to worry about needing summoning items.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is what the Underground Jungle looks like on my most recent large world.

16 hives. I don't think they're commonly as deep as that bottom one, but you always get a fair few.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I honestly usually prefer making bee summoners, because fighting Queen Bee in a cramped hive sucks and I prefer fighting her on the surface jungle.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought she enraged if she wasn't near a hive? drat, I've been making it hard on myself for no reason.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
You don't have to be near a hive but I think you do have to be in the underground jungle.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any jungle works. Taking her to the surface works if you stay in the jungle!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As long as you don't go too far off the ground and leave the "Jungle" biome as a result.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, a surface jungle arena works perfectly well as long as you don't go too high.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh jeez, maybe that's my problem. Twice I've spawned her, warped back to my house where I have a wide-open space to fight bosses, and then get rolled pretty handily. I'll try fighting her in the Jungle Surface next time!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yeah a lot of bosses either run away, or get really pissed if you try to take them too far from their natural areas.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I gotta be honest, I have no idea what a Terraria 2 would even look like.

It'd have to be drastically different enough to not just come off as an expandalone, but on the same time retain the Terraria "feel", so to speak (gameplay loops? visuals? 2D?).

I can't really come up with any obvious benefits that couldn't just be implemented as an update to the original game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Having multiple planes/worlds in one "world" would be nice. Like, the ability to go to the (blood) moon for example. It'd also help with the way all the biomes are crammed into not quite enough space, which gets real bad if you mod in new biomes.

Improving mod support and the actual game engine would be handy, too. EDIT: like, we still don't have tmodloader for 1.4. Unless I missed something but I'm assuming the thread would've lit the gently caress up if it came out. If there were actual official ways to mod the game things likely wouldn't take this long.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's a lot of things in the game that can't be changed at this point because they were more or less set in stone very early on. A lot of UI features, NPC interactions via dialog, etc. could be rehauled, combat abilities could be added in, animations redone, equipment and weapon details. You could add in automation, factorization, processing options, base infrastructure, all kinds of things. Nothing on the level of Minecraft tech mods, surely, to keep the game's light action focus, but there's definitely a lot that could be done to expand the game's scope, and mods have tried jury-rigging a lot of mechanics along the way, with mixed success.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It'd be nice to be able to build just, like, "a full stack" of something at once, instead of holding down the mouse button until you get what you need. Particularly important for, say, crafted ammo. Or buying things in bulk from shops.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Zereth posted:

Having multiple planes/worlds in one "world" would be nice. Like, the ability to go to the (blood) moon for example. It'd also help with the way all the biomes are crammed into not quite enough space, which gets real bad if you mod in new biomes.

Improving mod support and the actual game engine would be handy, too. EDIT: like, we still don't have tmodloader for 1.4. Unless I missed something but I'm assuming the thread would've lit the gently caress up if it came out. If there were actual official ways to mod the game things likely wouldn't take this long.

there’s an open alpha of tmodloader for 1.4 out. there’s a code for it in the publicly accessible discord server but you’re not allowed to share it outside of that

https://discord.gg/tModLoader

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I could get behind a Terraria remastered edition or something, lord knows I wouldn’t mind giving them more money for all the work they’ve done. Release it as an expansion with some new goodies thrown in. Maybe building docks on the ocean let you sail to different maps or something.

I know they probably sleep on mattresses stuffed with money at this point, but still.

I don’t think Terraria 2 could be done in any meaningful way that didn’t wind up feeling like they should have just added that content back to Terraria.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I like the multiple planes idea. Could make for some interesting boss mechanics, too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MR. J posted:

I like the multiple planes idea. Could make for some interesting boss mechanics, too.

Incredibly some mods have already managed to kludge that mechanic into existence, so it can't possibly be THAT hard to implement from the dev side.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Polarities Mod already using something similar with their fractal dimension. It seems to load a new special world inside your current normal Terraria world whenever you enter the fractal portal. It's not exactly the most stable feature of the mod, so it's a good idea to back up your world before you do a session with some fractal dimensioning.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Psychedelicatessen posted:

The Polarities Mod already using something similar with their fractal dimension. It seems to load a new special world inside your current normal Terraria world whenever you enter the fractal portal. It's not exactly the most stable feature of the mod, so it's a good idea to back up your world before you do a session with some fractal dimensioning.

The Pinky mod has a much more stable version of the mechanic, and apparently recent updates have even managed to put in multiplayer compatibility, if in an early alpha and buggy state.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
If Terraria 2 happens, I'd imagine it would add things they couldn't add to the first game due to engine limitations. They might have called 1.4 the "last" update since they were running up against the limit of what they could do with the original engine.

I could see things happening like dedicated blocking and dodging mechanics(which would make true melee a viable playstyle), grappling hook physics, and more robust summoning design (for example, summons that focus on giving the player buffs instead of attacking). Perhaps even moving parts like elevators.

Every NPC could have a questline associated with them, which give rewards for completion.

When people mentioned "multiple planes", the idea came to mind of there being two overlapping "dimensions" to the world, where interiors are built on the "back" plane and front-facing doors can be built to let you access them.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Iirc goon project Outworlder is doing the interiors z-axis thing which sounds great.

I had the idea for a "mirror dimension" alternate world that mirrored your own but like, the corruption was machinery, but that's also more expansive mod territory. I agree that terraria 2 would probably be as much engine upgrade as game, but I'm fine with that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ThaumPenguin posted:

I gotta be honest, I have no idea what a Terraria 2 would even look like.

It'd have to be drastically different enough to not just come off as an expandalone, but on the same time retain the Terraria "feel", so to speak (gameplay loops? visuals? 2D?).

I can't really come up with any obvious benefits that couldn't just be implemented as an update to the original game.

As other people have said, the current game engine is a bit of a hacked together mess that is straining at the seams with what they've already done with it, which is a symptom of the game being originally made by one guy alone and rushed into a "finished" state for release. A fully fresh Terraria sequel that plays very closely to Terraria but with a better, less restrictive engine that has built-in mod support and support for stuff like alternate planes in the same world would be sufficient to warrant a Terraria 2 title, I think.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I feel like a Terraria remaster or Terraria 2 might benefit a lot from being able to redo the interface and progression

Terraria has evolved a lot, and there's been so much adding new stuff on top of what's already there

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zereth posted:

This is what I thought as well. Being able to shift at will or otherwise into the dark world/past world/shadow world/Candyland world would be top of my list.

I never cease to be absolutely gobsmacked that, in this age of penny/tuppence/thruppence game pricing, they have added so much to this game and it's always been $10/£7... though €10 is taking the piss a bit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I paid $5 USD for it when the Australian dollar was stronger than the US in July 2011. I don't know why it was on sale a few months after release, but whatever. Incredible dollars:enjoyment ratio.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I spent $1.74 on a Steam Sale error for Terraria, and have made thousands of dollars YouTubing about Terraria.

One of the gameplay mechanics that the developers have mentioned they cannot pull off is jumping between layers. The game started as some broke dude's passion project. Now he has millions of dollars and a small team. If you look at the footage and screenshots from the cancelled Terraria: Otherworld (which itself is quite old now) you can see how they might add in some features, better animations, etc. while keeping the Terraria aesthetic. I'd be down for it.

I think their next game won't be a direct sequel. Part of me wonders whether or not ConcernedApe's Stardew Valley spinoff announcement (Haunted Chocolatier) will spur ReLogic into action.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Until I think 1.3 the game handled every item and tile as a big IF/THEN chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

LLCoolJD posted:

I spent $1.74 on a Steam Sale error for Terraria, and have made thousands of dollars YouTubing about Terraria.

One of the gameplay mechanics that the developers have mentioned they cannot pull off is jumping between layers. The game started as some broke dude's passion project. Now he has millions of dollars and a small team. If you look at the footage and screenshots from the cancelled Terraria: Otherworld (which itself is quite old now) you can see how they might add in some features, better animations, etc. while keeping the Terraria aesthetic. I'd be down for it.

I think their next game won't be a direct sequel. Part of me wonders whether or not ConcernedApe's Stardew Valley spinoff announcement (Haunted Chocolatier) will spur ReLogic into action.

What's your channel name?