Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This one?
Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for intentionally blindsiding my pregnant roommate to avoid a confrontation?

I have been living with my roommate, Holly, for almost 1.5 years.

Holly wasn't a good roommate. I was doing most of the chores. I didn't like her much but she seemed to think that I was a really good friend of hers. Anytime I tried to talk to her, she would either deflect or give excuses. She told me once that it was my fault because I do it better than her and she is now not used to doing chores.

6 months ago, she told me that she got pregnant.

I was covering half of her rent too because she didn't have any money. I wanted to ask her to move out but again, she would say something, or give excuses or start crying and I would back off.

Few months later, situation is got worse for her. Quit her job. Couldn't find another. We were speaking one day and she told me how lucky she felt having a friend like me. She thanked me for being so nice about the rent and the food and she also told me she is not feeling scared about being a single mom as I would be there to help her.

I freaked out hard. Helping out a person when they are in a spot is one thing. But it was clear that she was expecting me to help her even after the baby was born. I didn't want that.

Another month passed by. I was making plans to leave. Me and my friend found an apartment to share.

On Sept 3, when she wasn't at home, I moved all my things to my new apartment. Since most of the things outside her room was mine, the apartment was pretty bare when I left.

I called my landlord and informed him that I won't be renewing my lease which was ending at the end of Sept. He promised to return my security deposit in full at the end of the month. After that I left a message to Holly that I have moved out and she has to talk to the landlord about her situation from next month.

To be clear, I paid my share of the rent for this month to the landlord and told him to ask Holly about the rest and about making a new lease/new security deposit.

I refused to attend anymore calls from her. Bottom line is I left a 8-9(?) months pregnant woman who was depending on me for many things (like rent, food etc) on her own during a pandemic while she was jobless.

She had left me multiple voicemails and telling me how I should have talked to her and at least given a heads up instead of just moving out. She told me that she is struggling a lot and she is about to give birth soon and that I need to help her. She is saying that it's lovely of me to help her so much and then abandon her. She told me that she wants to meet me and explain things. She thinks that talking to her would make me move back.

I refused to respond. All my friends have conflicted opinions.

Some think I could have just talked to her and resolved it. Some think that I should have at least given her a heads up. Some think I should move back in. Many think that it's not my fault at all.

Again, she has one month to figure things out with the landlord before the lease ends. I didn't talk to her because it never worked in the past and I didn't wanna be guilt tripped out of moving.

Here for unbiased opinions. AITA?

Piell posted:

AITA for canceling in an appointment that was made for me without my consent?

Just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think OP is in the clear, they'd tried communicating many times to no avail. You can't say "go talk again but make them listen this time". Also she did tell the lady, completely unmistakeably, that she needed to make other arrangements via moving out. She paid her share of the rent for a place she didn't even live in, leaving the pregnant woman a month to act. She left the place in good condition with the woman staying having the option to renew the lease, find a roommate, move out, whatever.

Yes, leaving a late-pregnant woman in the lurch is wrong, but there are mitigating factors for OP like "wasn't her child" and "wasn't in a relationship or even close friendship with the pregnant party" and "pregnant woman wasn't contributing anything even before she gave birth".

Specific details matter a lot when dealing with living arrangements. She didn't owe an explanation but giving a date ahead of time would have been the decent thing to do. It would for sure have caused more crazy drama but for me at least I would have to do it to have a clear conscience in that situation.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think OP is in the clear, they'd tried communicating many times to no avail. You can't say "go talk again but make them listen this time". Also she did tell the lady, completely unmistakeably, that she needed to make other arrangements via moving out. She paid her share of the rent for a place she didn't even live in, leaving the pregnant woman a month to act. She left the place in good condition with the woman staying having the option to renew the lease, find a roommate, move out, whatever.

Yes, leaving a late-pregnant woman in the lurch is wrong, but there are mitigating factors for OP like "wasn't her child" and "wasn't in a relationship or even close friendship with the pregnant party" and "pregnant woman wasn't contributing anything even before she gave birth".

It's like pulling off a bandaid, do you want to do it in one yank or have it last a whole month?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Dongsturm posted:

I'm not buying it. The golden child doesn't get forced to go to her sister's wedding while sick, she gets to stay at home with ice-cream. The golden child is the one who gets to order her sister to leave the house, even when the sister is extremely ill.

Also, the younger sister stood still and took the abuse from the older sister until she collapsed. That's not what the golden child does, that's what a lifelong victim does. The golden child calls for Mommy and Mommy comes running.

All the signs are pointing to the older sister being the golden child who bullies her sick sister (addict or otherwise), skips college and mooches off her parents for the next 15 years.

That doesn't match with the older sister being kicked out of the house. The whole story is bullshit and the bits don't line up, I hope the totally real sisters show up in the comments and add some details and drama.

Also, she clearly wasn't an addict.

You know that the golden child/scapegoat dynamic doesn’t exist in every family right? And it is even possible to have hosed up family dynamics other than that? Sometimes teenagers sneak around just enough that the parents aren’t aware until the kid is in real trouble, and then they don’t know what to do. It’s possible for things to be unfair and messed up and not fall into specific patterns that idiots on the internet are currently obsessed with. Having grown up with a fair few addicts in my family, including one that lives with us while I was in high school,many of them are going to wind up doing something that someone around them deems unforgivable and sometimes people hold grudges for years. If the older sister’s entire senior year was getting messed up because of her hosed up sister, vomiting over 2 rows of people might just be the cherry on a poo poo sundae. I could also see parents who are struggling to balance the needs of their kids just deciding the add to they have been contorting their life to try and help could suck it up this one time. They don’t even have to be particularly bad parents to have wound up in this situation.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

blatman posted:

AITA (21F) For Destroying My Sister’s (26F) Bee Colony?

Why do people seem to think that another person being unreasonable means they get a free pass to do whatever? She sounds pretty wacky, but her crazy plans were completely theoretical when he decided to gently caress with her poo poo. He is the rear end in a top hat.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

blatman posted:

AITA (21F) For Destroying My Sister’s (26F) Bee Colony?
biting the hand that stings you

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

thotsky posted:

Why do people seem to think that another person being unreasonable means they get a free pass to do whatever? She sounds pretty wacky, but her crazy plans were completely theoretical when he decided to gently caress with her poo poo. He is the rear end in a top hat.

The letters F are right there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone remember a story where the OP would babysit his neighbour's kid every once in a while, and suddenly she tried to take him for child support saying he was the kid's father figure now, then after either getting laughed at by a lawyer or dropping it after realizing how dumb that is, she was mad that the OP no longer wanted to watch her kid? It was an amazing case of hand biting

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Danaru posted:

Anyone remember a story where the OP would babysit his neighbour's kid every once in a while, and suddenly she tried to take him for child support saying he was the kid's father figure now, then after either getting laughed at by a lawyer or dropping it after realizing how dumb that is, she was mad that the OP no longer wanted to watch her kid? It was an amazing case of hand biting
Here you go

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not looking after a kid anymore?
I(27m) used to live in a lovely apartment building. I had a neighbour right next to me called Sarah(approx 24f) who had a 6yo son mark.

I had lived there for 3 years and moved out about 2 monthd ago. My grandfather passed away and left most of his money/possessions to me and my sisters, it wasn't much after taxes but I was able to use it as a deposit on an apartment. Sarah and her son moved in about 4-5 months after I did and although she didn't talk about it I got the feeling that her ex hadn't been the greatest (police would come round occasionally to check she was ok, the kid was scared stiff of loud noises and yelling, etc).

I work from home(data analyst) so was around a lot. Mark used to go to a pre school while she worked and then after he started school he was supposed to go to an after school child minding thing. (Sarah works 10am-8pm as a nurse aid). Problem is that back in March of last year his after school thing closed and then a couple months later his school shifted all their learning online while his mum only got busier because of the virus. I kept seeing him playing outside by the road or hanging off the balcony and was a bit worried for his safety so started offering him hot chocolate and keeping an eye on him.

About a week later Sarah came by and offered me $20. She was very apologetic and explained that her parents disowned her and she couldn't afford a full time nanny for him but also couldn't afford to quit her job to keep an eye on him which was basically her only other option.

My older sister is a nurse and I'd seen her looking shattered and with bruises on her face from her masks so I felt really bad for them and offered to keep an eye on Mark while she worked since I was at home anyway and he's a cool kid.

Long story short I told Sarah in Oct I was moving out and she was distraught about what she'd do with mark(schools/childcare still hadn't reopened here yet). I offered for her to drop him off at my new place while she was working as a temporary solution during the virus. This had been working for the last couple of months until I received a letter from a lawyer basically informing me that Sarah was filing for child support against me as I had taken on a paternal figure in marks life. I immediately called Sarah and told her to come get Mark. We had a massive fight because basically she thinks I can afford it so why shouldn't I pay it.

After she picked him up I blocked her number and contacted a lawyer who to me that I would probably be fine as I'm not his dad and I never offered to take care of him in any financial way. Sarah has been in touch with my sisters who think that I'm doing the right thing not paying but I'm being a dick by refusing to look after Mark anymore. I feel like poo poo since he's probably back to being stuck in those lovely apartment blocks again but I also don't want to risk a court case. Aita for refusing to look after him while she works?

TINY UPDATE: thank you for all the lovely messages, I can't see some of them because a reddit error keeps popping up but I'm trying to read all of them. I've said this a few times in the comments but will put it here too: after what has happened I have contacted child services, I haven't had an update from them but I will post here if I hear anything.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Danaru posted:

Yeah, he was basically providing free daycare for the kid and after she tried to sue him for child support he stopped doing so, and she was real mad at him "taking it out on the kid".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SalTheBard posted:

Do you have a link to this one O_o

Sadly no.

But it wasn't a fun read. Just the hosed up and sad story of a guy who spent 18 years plotting his revenge on the woman who cheated on him and the innocent child who believed her father loved her.

He played the role of caring husband and father just so it would hurt them even more when he eventually walked out without a word the day the daughter turned 18.

Seriously hosed up sociopath poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 24, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Given the age real curious if she was kicked out for having a kid at 18 or for some similar "pay for my child" poo poo. Same for why she's going after a neighbor for child support and not the biological father.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Mom had an affair 18 years ago, I [18M] am the product of it. My dad just informed me of all this, and told me he will not pay for my college, while my siblings got their college experience paid by our dad.

quote:

Pretty much the title. I have no idea how to process all this, and I am completely unprepared for what lies ahead :(

Both my older brother and sister went to the same college. My brother graduated two years ago, my sister is set to graduate in two years. Both had their college paid by our dad. Dad paid all their college expenses, including rent, food, their cars, pocket money, you name it.

My brother has a job now, his own place, lives together with his fiancee, and has his life together.

My sister already has a good paying job, and my dad still pays for almost everything for her.

I got accepted to the same college, which was always the plan, and was looking forward to talk with my parents about the next steps, and ask them to help me the same they did for my siblings. I always assumed they had money put aside for my college the way they had for my siblings.

Instead I was met with a story about my mom's cheating, how I am the result of her cheating, and how my dad is not willing to support me any more moving forward.

Dad told me that mom had 18 years to let me know and prepare me for the future, but obviously she never did. He said it was never is place to say anything since I am not his son, and didn't want to interfere with mom's parenting.

Apparently my grandparents know I am not dad's biological son, but they haven't bothered to tell me anything either.

My siblings had no idea, and they are as surprised as I am because there was never a hint of anything being off. I might be naive, but I always thought I had a great relationship with my dad. We go to see sports together, we go fishing together, he tutored me when I had difficulties with math (dad is an engineer), he taught me to drive. I never got a hint he stores resentment towards me. I mean, he gave me my name, and has explained what my name means, and he was very proud of it. It's a story he tells from time to time. He likes to talk about stuff like that about me.

My mom has never said a word about anything, and apparently she was supposed to have "the talk" with me, but she never did.

I feel abandoned and unprepared for what lies ahead. I am not even sure I will be able to go to college any more, I always assumed my parents will pay for it. I never had a job, and I am not sure what job I can even get to support me through college, I have no idea how to apply for loans.

All my mom has done is cry and apologize. But nothing of substance, she has no idea how to help me.

I don't even know if I am welcomed home any more, it's all up in the air, I feel shame leaving my room, and if I will be asked to move out I don't know where to go. I don't have any savings, maybe $400 put together.

I am angry at my mom, I am confused about where I stand with my dad. There's a man out there who is my father that never wanted to have anything to do with me. I feel rejected and I have no idea what to do to fix this situation.

Anyone have any idea what to do here?

Do I apologize to my dad? What do I say to him?

Idk, I've been stuck in my room these past few days, reading and browsing reddit. I have no idea what to do.

-

Edit: Comments are coming in faster than I can reply, but I am making a list with all the advice about financial aid, health insurance, getting my own phone plan, etc, things I didn't even think about before. Thank you everyone.

I will try to answer as much as I can, but there's more comments than I can handle.

-

Update:

Sorry to disappear, nothing bad happened to me.

Managed to talk with my mom yesterday, but I chickened out half way through what I had to say :(

The good news is that I am not being kicked out, or disowned, etc.

Thank you for all your support, everyone, I will follow through and call financial aid at my college in a few hours, and take it from there.

My grandpa had a stroke a week ago, and my dad is helping my grandma with setting up a live in nurse, so he wasn't around yesterday.

I will let you know how I manage.

[UPDATE] Mom had an affair 18 years ago, I [18M] am the product of it. My dad just informed me of all this, and told me he will not pay for my college, while my siblings got their college experience paid by our dad.

quote:

The reaction to my original post put an uncomfortable amount of pressure on me to write this update.

I am not sure if it's what's you want to hear, but things are more or less back to a "normal" state, if you consider other events.

Unfortunately, my grandpa died at the beginning of this week, and I am still processing it.

I did manage to talk with both my mom and dad, and I know where I now stand in relation with them, as well as my siblings.

I am not sure I would have had the courage to say what I had to say if not for the amount of help and advice in the comments.

I think it is safe to say both my parents love me, and what happened two weeks ago was an overreaction to a fight between my parents. It makes me uncomfortable knowing I am not aware of my own environment, but a stranger in the comments can tell me what's happening in my life with only a few lines of text from my side. A lot of comments were spot on about what is happening in my life.

I have so far went through 40% (I estimate) of the comments, but I have given up, there are too many for me to keep up with.

The conclusion is that I am definitely going to college, it will be the college I have always wanted to go to, and I will have the same experience as my siblings. The money to pay for all this already exists, my family is not going bankrupt as suggested, my dad just had a mental breakup with all the issues around my grandpa and his fight with my mom.

Even if my dad would have went through with his decision, my grandma let me know my grandpa left me and my siblings a sum we will have to split between the three of us, but enough to put me through college.

What started the entire scandal was poor timing on my part, my parents just had a fight, and then I showed up "hey, pay for my college".

My parents were talking about us, their children, and mom said something to the lines of "to think you wanted to split up when I came back pregnant", or something like that, I was not there, this is what she told me. I guess dad was talking how proud he was of his children, and mom wanted to express her "gratitude" for dad raising me as his own, and dad took it as "the affair was the best decision I ever made" or something like that. And their fight escalated from there, and mom told dad something like "what makes you think any of them are yours".

Yeah, it went downhill from there fast. Shortly after that my dumb face showed up, and here I am.

Dad and mom have since made up, mom is still a mess, dad is not handling my grandpa's passing away too well either.

I did talk with my siblings, and my sister raised a storm and rode it here while blasting my parents on the phone, ha ha. My brother was calmer, but made his feelings known in no uncertain terms as well once he got back home.

My grandpa passing away sort of kept spirits calm, I guess, and shifted the focus to dealing with that.

Reading the comments was a mind opening experience. I felt unprepared for the world out there. Many have asked how I had no idea how to apply for loans or grants. Well, in my defense, when you go year after year after year knowing you have nothing to worry about, that your college as good as paid for already, you don't really have to worry about anything else. Of course I knew there are loans and other things students have to be aware of, but it didn't apply to me.

I went from "I am going to college, can't wait" to "you're not my son and I will not pay for your college" in less than 24 hours.

Others have been prepared for this, at the very least they knew they had to get a loan, or get a job, look for a place to live, and so on. For me it was a sudden change in reality.

Going through the comments I managed to put a list together with various "tips and tricks", what jobs are available for students, how to find a place to live, how to get a credit card, a bank account, a cell phone plan, and so on. Really good stuff that I think, even after the return to normal, will help me.

My parents have been called more names then they go by, and that was uncomfortable to read, and I haven't even read all comments. I can't even imagine what else lies in the comments, waiting.

Dad is very sorry, apologetic, about his reaction and behavior. I understand his reaction, but I still feel hurt by it. I understand he was not in the best place of mind, but I can't control my feelings either. We will be alright, and this hasn't irreparably damaged our relationship.

Mom hasn't handled everything that well. But she is coming around, and she answered some more questions for me.

When mom had an affair years ago, and got pregnant with me, my parents started divorce. Mom moved in with the man she had the affair with, but after a few months that guy decided he wants nothing to do with it. He kicked mom out, and she had nowhere to go. So my grandparents took her in, because she was still the mother of their nephews grand kids (I am getting a lot of heat for this "mistake", but know in my family's culture, grandparents call their grand kids nephews as well). Mom and dad got back together, after a lot of work, dad took me as his own, and that's my life since then.

The man who is my natural father is not in the picture any more. Dad didn't really know who he is, and mom hasn't heard or seen him ever since. He was fully aware mom was pregnant with his child, I guess he had more important things to do. But it doesn't sound like he was about to cure world hunger, she met him in a bar, not at a fund raiser.

And I don't feel a need to know any more about who he is. I thought about the matter the last two weeks, since I've been aware of everything, and haven't really felt a desire to know who he is, where he is, if he is still alive, if I have other siblings out there.

I was suggested to go and buy a DNA kit from 23andme, maybe I can find him that way, but I think I will avoid doing this specifically so I don't find him or he finds me. As far as I care, I have a mom and dad and a brother and a sister, and that's my family.

Moving forward I do plan of getting a job, and becoming more independent, but not in an attempt to distance myself from my family, but to feel like I would not be lost in the world if my family suddenly disappears.

My mom admits I've been babied way more than my siblings, and that they should have prepared me more for what's coming next.

I did learn where I stand with my family, and it's safe to say that I am loved, and I have options. I thought I am isolated, but my world is wider than I thought. Grandparents, siblings, my aunt, my cousins, all have my back.

I think my parents are human, and they make mistakes, and even though this was not their greatest moment, I think I will look at everything as nothing more than a weak moment in an otherwise wonderful relationship.

Thank you.

Edit: in my family's cultural background, grandparents call their grand kids nephews as well. Stop calling me names, it was not a mistake, please.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
There is no way on earth a real lawyer wrote that child support demand.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Anyone else getting the vibe that he was sleeping with her and intentionally omitted it?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

AITA for not looking after a kid anymore?

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, he was basically providing free daycare for the kid and after she tried to sue him for child support he stopped doing so, and she was real mad at him "taking it out on the kid".
I'm always amazed at the stories of parents who have free/heavily discounted child care and gently caress it up by over-reaching.

As a general rule, five day per week daycare costs in the same ballpark as a home mortgage or monthly rent for a couple bedroom apartment. And to be clear, this isn't Child Harvard or whatever, this is for standard childcare meeting the bare minimum levels of safety and cleanliness. But nope, saving yourself a couple thousand bucks per month isn't good enough.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I started to agree with you, but there are lawyers who will write dumb letter for money.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

nvidiagouge posted:

Anyone else getting the vibe that he was sleeping with her and intentionally omitted it?

:chloe:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It was free legal aide, she probably lied her rear end off hoping that would work. Anyone trying to shake down a neighbor for child support money is probably not a good person in other areas of life.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for making my husband cook anytime he complains about my cooking

quote:

Husband doesn't cook, I've tried to teach him the basics but being in the kitchen just makes him nervous, so he prefers if I do it. We split the rest of the chores, it's just cooking he has an issue with, and he'll do all of the cleanup afterwards, so I agreed to do dinners with one one very explicit stipulation.

Any and I mean any, uncalled for criticism and he has to make the dinner for us the next night himself.

And by making the dinner I mean deciding what to make, buying all the ingredients and doing all the prep himself, no takeaway either, it has to be homemade.

Legitimate criticisms such as I burnt or undercooked something are fine but I don't care to hear any comments on why didnt use I 'x' instead of 'y' in the sauce or complaints about eating the same dish twice in a week.

To be clear, I don't mind taking requests for meals beforehand and I've adapted to most of his preferences already but complaints about the food after it is already on the table just irritate me.

I also make sure to never make any negative comments on the dinners he makes, even if it's beans on toast, I'm just happy to have food handed to me.

The first few times it happened pretty sparingly and he accepted it fine but he's started slipping up more recently and he's now decided that my rule is unfair.

He thinks I'm the rear end in a top hat for unfairly punishing him for having opinions and that him doing the washing up is a fair compromise already. Personally I think he still needs to learn how much of a mental drain preparing dinners can be and that if wants something cooked exactly to his liking he needs to make it himself.

girl why did you settle
you absolute donkey

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

AITA for ruining both my parents marriages for disowning me?

quote:

I am the by-product of my parents extra-marital affair. Both of them had spouses at the time. My birth-mother got pregnant and had to tell her husband as he was overseas when I was conceived so there was no way I was his. A few months after I was born they decided not to divorce. I was given to my grandparents on my mothers side to raise with my birth father secretly paying child support without his wife's knowledge.

Both my parents had other children, my dad's side knows nothing about me but my siblings on my mum's side were told that I am adopted by my grandparents. Recently I decided that I wanted to know more about my dad's family and I sent a friend's request to one of my siblings and my dad so I could get to know him. Well he freaked out and contacted my birth mum and they asked to speak to me over Skype. They both told me that they couldnt risk staying in contact with me and told me that they were going no-contact and to please respect it and move on with my life.

Well I did pretty much the opposite. I contacted my dad's wife and shared screen shots of our conversations and told her everything. She is now divorcing him while on my mother's side I told both my siblings who then went on to tell extended family including her husband's side so now they are seperated and my siblings hate my mother.

Currently my siblings on both sides lives have been upturned and after the satisfaction has worn off I feel like I unnecessarily hurt them through my parents. AITA for ruining my parents marriages?
AITA for telling my GF's daughter she's not my daughter so don't expect me to pay?

quote:

Me and Diomara (12F) have had a rough summer. She's been more defiant than usual. I've been dating her Mom Mara (30F) for 2 years now. 9 moths ago, they moved in with me, Maple (33M). Both Dio and Mara have an on again/off again relationship with Dio's Dad (Dynasis). He's pretty much never paid child support, comes and goes as he pleases into Dio's life. Typical lovely-rear end part time Dad. I've tried to fill the Dad role in her life, while still understanding boundaries, taking things slow, etc.

This summer Dynasis decides he wants to be a real Dad and takes Dio in for a month. Good for him, not my business, and Mara agrees. When Dio came back home because school started she was a lot different. Really mean to me, very dismissive. A few days ago she got caught shoplifting at the mall. Security took her in then called Mara, who didn't answer, then called Dynasis, who didn't answer, and finally me. I answered. They told me I had to pick her up or she'll be handed over to juvenile.

I didn't say anything to her while I picked her up. I apologized to security, apologized to the store. I even tipped the security guards plus the store employees because its hosed up they had to deal with that. I assured them Dio would be punished appropriately.

I'm speaking to her in a strong, affirmative, voice while we're in the car. NOT yelling, but in a fatherly tone, I suppose. I'm telling her how hosed up it is to steal, and how I dont gently caress with thieves, and how I absolutely don't voluntarily gently caress with any kind of police so I don't appreciate any of this nor will I accept it in my house. She snaps back that I'm not her Dad so don't ever tell her what to do. From now on, if I wanna tell her something I need to clear it with her real father first.

That killed my soul. For the past year or so, I've treated her as my own daughter. I've paid for their housing, I've paid for her moms car, her schooling, her food, everything. Her bio Dad dropped $100 check off one time in the past year. The fuckin check bounced so I had to call him up and he brought cash over. I told Mara about all of this. She was appalled at what Dio said, but she never made Dio apologize because "she's not wrong, you're not her Dad."

A couple of days later Dio asks me for some money to pay for her uniform/accessories she needs for a sport she's involved in. I say go ask your Dad. She scoffs and says her Dad doesn't have the money for it, so I have to pay for it. I tell her...I'm not her Dad so don't ever tell me what I have to pay for. She cried to Mara, who tells me I'm not being an adult about the situation. Mind you, I never received an apology or a thanks for our entire previous situation. Mara says Dio is a kid and I need to stop acting like a kid too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
i never tip the security guards unless it was a 5* experience, from arrest, processing, and release.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Scaevolus posted:

AITA for telling my GF's daughter she's not my daughter so don't expect me to pay?

OPs " I absolutely don't voluntarily gently caress with any kind of police" shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by his shirt

TheMathyFolf
Sep 14, 2014

SalTheBard posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Some people were looking for the “dude got cheated on and held it together for 18 years” story so I dug it up for y’all. It’s a true classic.

Boyfriend (M39) breaking up with me (F38) out of nowhere

quote:

I'll try to cut it as short as I can but I became pregnant when I was young and immature. Because of this when I realised I was missing the "experience" my friends were gaining, I started partying, taking drugs and hosed up by having an affair.

My boyfriend found out but his reaction wasn't as explosive as I was expecting. He just told me that "We're staying together for our son" and that's it, we never spoke of it again. For about a year afterwards I could tell he could barely stand the sight of me but getting caught forced me to pull my poo poo together. I realised that all I wanted was to grow old with him and ended the affair. I threw myself into being a caring and attentive girlfriend and convincing him to forgive me and eventually we became intimate again and things went back to normal.

He never proposed but I was OK with that because we acted like a married couple anyway and I have to say, the past 16 years have been picture-perfect. We rarely fought and even when we did it didn't last long, we've been on vacations together, he was there for me when my parents died, split parenting our son evenly, was a great father and was just the best partner a woman could ask for. I thought the incident at the beginning of our relationship was forgiven and forgotten.

Then 2 days ago we celebrated our son's 18th birthday. At the end of the night while we were getting ready for bed he sat me down on the edge of the bed and calmly told me that we would have Christmas together as a family but after that, me and him were done. I stared at him and laughed thinking this was some sort of prank but then I saw the expression on his face and realised he was serious. I started crying and asking what I did wrong and whether there was someone else. After a few seconds pause he reminded me that after I cheated he said we would stay together for our son, now that he's 18 he should be emotionally stable enough to handle his parents separating.

Reading through this now I could almost laugh at how messed up this whole situation is but I feel like i'm losing my mind. I've been crying almost non-stop and I don't know what my next step is, I've tried asking him if he's willing to work on it but he says cheating is a deal breaker for him and that our relationship ended the first time I slept with another man. As far as he's concerned, everything we've shared since he found out I cheated was just a "Co-parenting/FWB" situation and while he loves me, he's not in love with me and hasn't been since he found out, he assumed I understood and accepted this silent agreement.

I doubt anyone here has dealt with anything like this before but right now I need all the advice I can get.

TL;DR: I thought my boyfriend had forgiven me for cheating but when our son became 18, he told me that we would be ending things even though this happened 16 years ago.
11/16/19, 10:11 PM

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MagusofStars posted:

I'm always amazed at the stories of parents who have free/heavily discounted child care and gently caress it up by over-reaching.

As a general rule, five day per week daycare costs in the same ballpark as a home mortgage or monthly rent for a couple bedroom apartment. And to be clear, this isn't Child Harvard or whatever, this is for standard childcare meeting the bare minimum levels of safety and cleanliness. But nope, saving yourself a couple thousand bucks per month isn't good enough.

I decided to be a stay at home dad when I realized my whole income would go to the kind of place they duct-tape your kid's shoes to their feet and film them having fights. It's been a huge investment in time, energy, and emotional strength but I have a lot more of that on balance than I have marketable skills

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

The thing that gets to me most about this story, is that even after her bf told her that he'd stay with her for their son's sake, she kept having an affair for a year afterwards! Like, what the hell. Anyway, some more content.

AITA puting my future child first over paying back my mother-in-law.

quote:

so long story short I haven't gotten along with my mother-in-law over the 8 years I've been with my wife. we tried to make amends and we were on civil terms and things were okay when we had to deal with each other.

cut to a few like 4 months back I was looking for a car and she happened to stumble on one. I promptly went and looked at it. I had $2900 because I had to dip into my car savings for bills. the car was 3000. she told me she could lend me the 100 as long as I could pay it back. I told her that we were swamped in bills so it would take some time. she said that would be fine she understood. at the time I just got of college so I didn't have a job I was looking. I told her as soon as I got one I would work at paying her back.

cut to two months ago, I found out my wife is pregnant so we had to completely rechange how we were doing a lot of things. on top of the bills, we were still swamped in. I also ran into several car troubles with the same car and now am at least $600 in repairs.

here recently she has been on me every day she wants the money and no matter what i tell her or explain to her, ive been met with cant the baby wait they need it more. ( they dont)

today i was told i need to be a man a deal with the money i owe them and told that i need to grow up. when i explained that ive been staying broke because of bills, repairs, and getting ready for our child.
ive remained calm and civil till now but i can't anymore her disrespecting me, and asking me to put my baby last.

this woman has been a horrible mother to her own daughter, and i want to make sure we give ours the best we can. i would give more details of what type of person she is but i would exceed the 3000 limits.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Scaevolus posted:

AITA for ruining both my parents marriages for disowning me?

1st story: kid owns bones. how is all his genetic material concentrated trash and yet he turned out so cool? Extra points for having the emotional maturity to feel remorse for hurting his (newly found) siblings in the course of his brutal and just campaign.

2nd story: That dude is being taken advantage of. Pays for kid, mom moved in with him, supports her activities, pays for food, rent, clothing and transportation. Yet, zero respect.

The kid is not the bad guy here, poo poo dad and leech, laydown mom are. Hopefully there's an outcome where the girl realizes her biodad sucks and this dude is there for her, but I wouldn't count on it given the other parental figures in her life.

But tipping the security guards? :patriot:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Evil Willow posted:

This guy sucks, gently caress this guy.

AITA for not wanting to give my cat a death sentence?

quote:

I(33m) have had this cat since she was like 8 weeks old, she is now 8 years old. My wife has never liked her from the beginning. At some point, the cat started peeing outside the litter box which caused problems between the wife and I. I took her to the vet to see if it was medical related which it wasn't. I finally agreed to rehome her after several arguments. I had one condition. Not to do anything that would give her a death sentence(no kill shelter, shady people, or just kicking her outside). Everywhere has a waiting list so we've been waiting while occasionally asking around if anyone wants her. I am now currently deployed in another country and I wake up to her telling me that she found someone to take her, she's just at her friends waiting to be picked up. Flash forward to about 20 min ago where I was just told I was lied to about finding a home for her. Turns out that "taking her to her friend's to be picked up" was code for dropping her in her friend's neighborhood to be a outdoor/feral cat. Taking an indoor cat that's 8 years old and suddenly throwing her outside to fend for herself is practically a death sentence. Now I'm being told that she no longer wishes to be married to me because I "care more about that loving cat." So AITA for getting upset at the fact that she did the one thing I asked her not to and then lied to me about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCsex2tGXrs&t=50s

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

thotsky posted:

She'd already started taking doors off and draping netting over his bed. He was afraid he was going to come home one day to find his room full of bees.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im no expert but i think if it says F in the post it means she's a lady

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Evil Willow posted:

The thing that gets to me most about this story, is that even after her bf told her that he'd stay with her for their son's sake, she kept having an affair for a year afterwards! Like, what the hell. Anyway, some more content.

Hey dumbfuck go down to the day labor agencies like two Saturdays in a row and you can pay your mother in law back if you are that loving broke.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 24, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

Hey dumbfuck go down to the day labor agencies like two Saturdays in a row and you can pay your mother in law back if you are that loving broke.

Counter argument: MIL can fall in a well and drown

Maybe there's something to be said for both sides of the argument? :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Counter argument: MIL can fall in a well and drown

Maybe there's something to be said for both sides of the argument? :colbert:

Compromise: go to the day labor agency, get a contract to dig a well, when it's done push MIL into it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

therobit posted:

or stand on the corner with a cardboard sign for like an hour

weird that he can't pay back his MIL's $100 when according to his post history, he had enough money for a new gaming laptop like a month ago

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Foo Diddley posted:

or stand on the corner with a cardboard sign for like an hour

weird that he can't pay back his MIL's $100 when according to his post history, he had enough money for a new gaming laptop like a month ago

The baby needs a gaming laptop, to game on the go!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

OGDanDogg posted:

My dad says that you know things are hot when they're slippery.

This post made my physically gasp.

The Bee posted:

Was there ever an update to Timothy?

Timothy is one of my favorite posts from this thread's dynasty. No, because the in-laws murdered OP and turned her empty skin into a mouse dummy which they provide the voice for.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Okay I don't think I got my red text for calling this dude and the people jizzing their pants about how awesome he was sociopaths, I think I got it for doing the same about the one where the guy walked out on a four year old that wasn't biologically his with no warning after a nice vacation.

Seriously cheating is wrong but goddamn there are people who view that as a justification for every possible type of harm on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On this read there doesn't seem to be any indication 18 years and out dad doesn't love his kid or want to be part of their life (why plan a family christmas even when you're leaving otherwise). He's just done with the charade of giving a poo poo about the mother of his kid and wants to make a clean break. He doesn't even say he's going to reveal the infidelity.