Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Farm Frenzy posted:

i cant get over his fuckin head. its probably HGH but it looks like they gave him the surgeries that incels get

HootTheOwl posted:

Meanwhile Gilfoyle ended up being some soy teacher at spiderman high .
Speak english please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

gently caress you

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

looksmaxxing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The United States posted:

Lynch Dune was just the 80s version of Disney snapping up hot new indie directors for their marvel movie projects because they don't have big blockbuster film experience and thus can be pushed around easily by an executive committee

back then it was usually the exact opposite of this in execution since hot new directors were insane hippie weirdos and the films they made both before and after scoring a major studio contract were almost completely unwatchable by any modern standard which is why you have no idea which directors or what movies im referring to

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
kingo to the polls

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

HootTheOwl posted:

Meanwhile Gilfoyle ended up being some soy teacher at spiderman high .

which frankly is proof that Martin Starr is more secure in his masculinity than Kumail Nanjiani, the only Hollywood star who’s whined about getting buff for millions of dollars

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't been as excited for a Marvel movie as much as I am for Eternals. It's pretty compelling watching it flame out.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i think they're chin surgeries to make them look more "chiseled"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nichael posted:

I haven't been as excited for a Marvel movie as much as I am for Eternals. It's pretty compelling watching it flame out.

Don't get your hopes up.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Don't get your hopes up.

I don't think it'll bomb, because I'm not sure the MCU stuff can anymore. But I think it'll come as close as one of their movies can, and that's funny.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Horizon Burning posted:

kingo to the polls

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i do not like the Kumail veins, i do not like, they cause me pain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nichael posted:

i saw Dune in a theatre today and like 75% of the previews were for fuckin super hero movies, this poo poo has to stop.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Dr. Killjoy posted:

which frankly is proof that Martin Starr is more secure in his masculinity than Kumail Nanjiani, the only Hollywood star who’s whined about getting buff for millions of dollars

well i mean he did end up basically transforming himself into an utter homunculus for a role in a guaranteed flop movie so there is maybe something to complain about

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

it’s funny because i’m pretty sure no one asked him to get so jacked

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

only a buff man could use the finger guns superpower and its crazy to suggest otherwise

btw whats the superpower of the guy played by ma dongseok or angelina jolie those are the only actors in this movie whose names im actually familiar with

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

was this the first time a big studio tried this? i cant think of any earlier examples

david lynch himself actually had a bit of a preview of this with The Elephant Man, which was still small-scale and relatively low budget but much more mainstream than eraserhead. the elephant man was actually produced by mel brooks, of all people

e: after the elephant man was a hit, george lucas offered lynch the directing job for Return of the Jedi, but lynch turned it down as he felt that he wouldn't have enough control over the film

Aglet56 has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Oct 24, 2021

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

only a buff man could use the finger guns superpower and its crazy to suggest otherwise

btw whats the superpower of the guy played by ma dongseok or angelina jolie those are the only actors in this movie whose names im actually familiar with

I was gonna defend the honor of Salma hayek but then I tried to think of something she's been in from like the last 10 years and I am drawing a complete blank

E: oh she voiced Theresa Taco in sausage party, how could I forget

Hirsute has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Oct 24, 2021

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's really weird Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie are in a MCU movie and no one seems to care of its existence.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I always figured lynch thought he had total creative control on dune and then got hamstrung when they wouldn’t let him spend like 100 million dollars in post to release a 5 hour theatrical cut.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i saw Dune in a theatre today and like 75% of the previews were for fuckin super hero movies, this poo poo has to stop.

I am wondering Mainstream popular culture is built on what takes the most resources to create.
Make something big, and recoup costs by getting money from a lot of people.

People on youtube with cellphones can poo poo out a Citizen Kane.
But they don't have the money for the special effects orgasms called superhero movies.

During early 00's pop music Britney Spears could be replaced with any other human being on earth, (or miku)
what you really need is just that system of concerts, and amazing studios, background of dancers, 50 different producers per song, and the ad blitz.

Napster only sped up the death of the music industry.
Computer production software and cheap CD burners would have still killed that market.

Now The biggest problem with music and Books is that There are not enough filters (aka cool people with taste)
that can shuffle though the deluge of poo poo to find good stuff.
Any critic gets popular enough, has their fans force them to talk about whatever the latest thing is.

And that lack of filters makes hard for people to find good stuff , because for artists it is just screaming into the void.
So people poo poo out a bunch of art and hope something connects, and then ride that success to retirement.

Eventually films will lack the edge of technology or technique of artists;
There will be 'marvel film super hero special effects' apps and apps that turns every shot into the movie equivalent of a Van Halen solo. (I don't know any directors)

When everybody can do special effects: Will movies go the way of music and books -screaming into the void?
Will it's characters and Intellectual Properties still be the resources.
Or will it be buying off the critics and making an Ad blitz.
Or will corporations literally just copy-write stories - (gently caress Cyberpunk - Say hello to CopywritePunk)

(Edit: There is that thing called "attention economy." Don't know much about it. )
edit: will future pop culture be amusement parks, and toys, as they are physical items. (Stars wars land is looking a lot darker right now)

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 06:47 on Oct 24, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

Is Freiza buff? Well, sometimes.

Also, the attention economy, lol

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

just wanna say that i dig your posting style

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The pipeline of looking like an incel to looking like one of the photoshops incels make.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Now The biggest problem with music and Books is that There are not enough filters (aka cool people with taste)
that can shuffle though the deluge of poo poo to find good stuff.
Any critic gets popular enough, has their fans force them to talk about whatever the latest thing is.

And that lack of filters makes hard for people to find good stuff , because for artists it is just screaming into the void.

not really. that's the problem with self-published books. there's basically two audiences for books -- the traditional audience and the amazon audience. however, traditional publishing is dying for a whole host of reasons and it has been dying for a long time. most authors these days don't make their advances back. self-publishing should be the answer, but amazon is the only storefront for it (being realistic) and the hour-by-hour algorithm-driven means that writing has been market-focused like never before. which means that self-pub is all trends and ripped-from-the-headlines poo poo or really nerdy, terminally online crap like litrpgs. self-pub also basically has category cabals who work together to drive certain keywords, all of them coordinating to write, say, m/m navy seal dubcon romance and release in the month of October to game the system. as someone who works in the industry, books and reading are just in a bad place in general. traditional publishing is supposed to work as that filter, and the "prestige" is literally the only thing traditional publishing can offer a writer these days (and the gamble to be a break out hit), but traditional publishing is doing all kinds of less-than-ideal poo poo like ghostwriting books under the names of YouTubers to try and turn a quick profit.

these days audiobook rights sell more to publishers than the actual book rights do, and ideally they'll be able to turn around and sell movie or tv series rights immediately. you should see some of the media packages agents put together for publishers. it's like they're selling everything BUT a novel.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seinfeld is so fuckin weird. like especially the old episodes.

there's an episode where George doesn't want to pay the bill he gets from his doctor visit and Jerry (somehow) pays for it behind his back out of being "embarrassed" for him but it's a chiropractor so they're both fuckin dumb?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Judakel posted:

doubt you can name an example imo

:smugdon:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Seinfeld is so fuckin weird. like especially the old episodes.

there's an episode where George doesn't want to pay the bill he gets from his doctor visit and Jerry (somehow) pays for it behind his back out of being "embarrassed" for him but it's a chiropractor so they're both fuckin dumb?

it's literally not a good show until season 4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

it's literally not a good show until season 4

yeah maybe that's it. the early seasons are kinda bizarre

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

elaine's hair though. how can I get that kind of volume?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lmao it did inform me of this commercial

https://youtu.be/H0N5ZTIE3Yk

the gently caress

man I want to see all of this footage uncut

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i bet some of them are at least

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

there are so many half-poured glasses of opaque beverages in this show. milk, juice, cider... they're always almost filling glasses and nobody ever takes a swig.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

there are so many half-poured glasses of opaque beverages in this show. milk, juice, cider... they're always almost filling glasses and nobody ever takes a swig.

Happens in Frasier a lot too, actors love having something to do with their hands.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

It's really weird Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie are in a MCU movie and no one seems to care of its existence.

i didnt realize hayek was in this but only know about jolie because she was in the initial announcement like a year ago i actually had to check to make sure she hadnt dropped out of it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1452178812058226688

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicekicks/status/1447374013471371267

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1451910334751690759

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

my partner loves great british bakeoff, ted lasso, and sex education and asked me yesterday if british people are really that wholesome........ had to laugh and say sorry no no no no not at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

my partner loves great british bakeoff, ted lasso, and sex education and asked me yesterday if british people are really that wholesome........ had to laugh and say sorry no no no no not at all

Sounds like someone needs an Are You Being Served binge