Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

KillHour posted:

94 hours into Py and I give up. Why? Because I spent 2 hours last night "upgrading" my iron oxide processing from "stick in furnace, pull out plates" to the iron slime processing chain, only to find out that the iron slime processing chain is literally a fraction of the efficiency and when you Google it, it's a known issue they refuse to fix it because "there are better uses of iron oxide anyways." Well then why is it in the mod?

I can deal with obscure production chains with a billion dependencies, but don't put traps that serve no purpose. That's just mean. Here's my final map. No bots at all, and in fact, I still can't mass produce inserters or belts.

wow this mod sounds stupid lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

It is.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know why a whole bunch of mods for this game about automation seem to do their best to stop you from automating things, but it's utterly maddening.

Gatekeeping automation of basic miners, constructors, conveyers, inserters and smelting equipment behind literally dozens of hours of tedium is downright psychotic, but so many of the most popular mods do so and turn the game into an exercise in masochism.

Here. Have something that will make your brain release the good chemicals:

See how lovely and elegant it is? Sure, there's probably a healthy midpoint between this and Py, but as far as I can tell no mods really hit that sweet spot.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Breetai posted:

I don't know why a whole bunch of mods for this game about automation seem to do their best to stop you from automating things, but it's utterly maddening.

Gatekeeping automation of basic miners, constructors, conveyers, inserters and smelting equipment behind literally dozens of hours of tedium is downright psychotic, but so many of the most popular mods do so and turn the game into an exercise in masochism.

See how lovely and elegant it is? Sure, there's probably a healthy midpoint between this and Py, but as far as I can tell no mods really hit that sweet spot.

Actually, this makes me mad because it doesn't scale at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It actually scales the perfect amount: It does all the research you need until it's time to knock it down and replace it entirely.

There's no temptation to waste critical early resources on a "scalable" design when all you really need is something that works now, and you can build the scalable thing later once you've researched the better stuff to build it with.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh, and it does scale. You can stick a second lab up there once you research blue assemblers.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Breetai posted:

I love it. What a lovely little factory-in-a-box. A+ design and layout.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Breetai posted:

One of the best aspects of vanilla Factorio is that for the most part, you can automate exactly as much or as little as you want to. You can handcraft everything except for a few recipes that use liquids, or you can automate everything from the very beginning, or you can do intermediate steps like manually topping off a chest that feeds an assembler. For almost everything you produce, you can choose exactly what stage of automation you want to take it to. It's up to the player to decide when the time and attention cost of manually doing something outweighs the resource cost and planning effort needed to automate something further.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Solumin posted:

I love it. What a lovely little factory-in-a-box. A+ design and layout.

Not my design, by the by, someone posted it upthread a few years ago along with the next iteration:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KillHour posted:

94 hours into Py and I give up. Why? Because I spent 2 hours last night "upgrading" my iron oxide processing from "stick in furnace, pull out plates" to the iron slime processing chain, only to find out that the iron slime processing chain is literally a fraction of the efficiency and when you Google it, it's a known issue they refuse to fix it because "there are better uses of iron oxide anyways." Well then why is it in the mod?

I can deal with obscure production chains with a billion dependencies, but don't put traps that serve no purpose. That's just mean. Here's my final map. No bots at all, and in fact, I still can't mass produce inserters or belts.

That's kinda garbage that they refuse to fix something like that. You sure as hell made it a lot further than I did before you bounced. I'm not sure if that means you win or not though. Lol.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Had a really close one with the meteors just a few minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dczhqaI8FY8

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Is there a way to do an old town policy like thing with trains? Like stop them from going into a region unless they're going there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pathing through train stops applies a big penalty towards choosing that route. If you add a couple of train stops to each track entering the restricted zone, trains going to a destination in the zone will ignore them (they don't have a choice but to go through the stations), but trains traveling outside it will prefer to go around the zone entirely.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Nalesh posted:

Is there a way to do an old town policy like thing with trains? Like stop them from going into a region unless they're going there.

Millions of stupidly complex rail systems mixed with queue systems at all stops and logic to disable stops when not needed should do ‘er. Just look at this image referencing the wiki until you understand what in the gently caress is going on.

Realistic answer, I may be incorrect but it sounds like you essentially have a single rail line that is functionally a giant loop with branches. As in trains have no way to actually get to an area without having to go through station stop along the way. There’s only forward progress in factorio, why should trains be any different?

Assuming this is the case, I would highly suggest running a left and right side train rail system Preferably with basic switchovers using signals so that a train on the right lane can move over to the left and head in the opposite direction and vice versa. If you feel like you don’t want to tackle signals there are ways to build essentially end loops that trains can branch off into to switch direction that would only require using a basic signal at the merge instead of a chain signal.

Also, related to trains. What would you nerd say is the diminishing returns point of train cars? I get the feeling that when I push any more than 10 cars I start getting into problems of cars not being really fully populated and making me have queue systems that need to then handle loving long boy trains as well as causing trains to get held up because a big rear end train is plowing through. As well as vastly increasing the amount of resources for loading and unloading, even when I have balanced loading with a mixture of horrible belt spaghetti and logistics so each individual car is evenly loaded it still seems like it would be more beneficial to run multiple trains with possibly 2 to 4 cars possibly with a stop for each individual train but even just breaking it down to two stops I could see my throughput being essentially about as fast as those two trains could arrive at either stop. Essentially start with the idea of one car but multiple trains, but only ever scale it up to four at Max.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Train size all comes down to how fast you need to be taking stuff off the train at the unload station, and that ultimately depends on what your goals for that station are. If you need more throughput than what you have, you can either build an extra platform, or make your trains longer. Both options will require additional space.

Trains with 1 loco and 2 wagons are the sweet spot for starting out. You can go a long way with two stations unloading two cargo wagons each. Once you need more resources than that, or if you start having train congestion issues, you can start thinking about longer trains.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve been chewing on the idea of an enforceable Old Town, and while there’s not a simple setting for it, you could place some train stations along the bypass routes around your mall base (I’m assuming you’ve got some hosed up rail spaghetti you’d rather keep as unfucked as possible), and use them to route all of your other trains through.

Long run, it’s probably better to rebuild your railhead ops to have waiting slots which won’t clog up access to other stations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I've just never had a big enough base to necessitate trains I guess, either that or I just love belts! It's like China's belt-and-road approach, except with more belts! Just consider all the incredible benefits of conveyor belts in factorio.

- Slow, methodical, reliable
- Don't require fuel or any energy, making them perfect perpetual motion machines
- Useful for buffering all items, simple or complex. Why have chests/logistics when you can have thousands of blue conveyor-belt tiles backing up your assemblers/science?
- You can run on them to go faster
- Great for visually identifying what is on the belt
- Never run you over and kill you

I launched a couple rockets once so I think I know what I'm talking about. Yep, it's belt-city for me, lads!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

This just tells me that you haven’t yet learned to build your map generation and production around our lord and savior, train (Honk be unto Him)

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

You're right (honk)

Last world was like... 8192 wide by 256 tall with dense resources and biters, and it was excellent

For 90 hours of blasting and a massive 8000 tile long main bus of blue belts, yeah! :getin:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Jeesis posted:

Realistic answer, I may be incorrect but it sounds like you essentially have a single rail line that is functionally a giant loop with branches. As in trains have no way to actually get to an area without having to go through station stop along the way. There’s only forward progress in factorio, why should trains be any different?

Assuming this is the case, I would highly suggest running a left and right side train rail system Preferably with basic switchovers using signals so that a train on the right lane can move over to the left and head in the opposite direction and vice versa. If you feel like you don’t want to tackle signals there are ways to build essentially end loops that trains can branch off into to switch direction that would only require using a basic signal at the merge instead of a chain signal.

Nah it's more aesthetic/minor slowdown issues from them taking shortcuts through city blocks I don't want em in, they've taken hints from lorry drivers :v:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nalesh posted:

At the entrance to your dead zone, for whatever reason you’re RPing it like that, put a station and a regular signal. Tie the signal to the station such that

1) signal is red, blocking all trains that would otherwise try that path.
2) If the signal turns yellow it’ll stay yellow until it turns green again like usual, but unless there is a train waiting at the station it will be forced to red instead of green.
3) if a train pulls into the entrance station the station reads it’s presence and passes this to the “red” signal for long enough that it turns green and then immediately yellow as the train reserves the block and leaves the station

Then the special trains just need to path through this entrance gate.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Hoping factorio modding does no go to the route of Bethesda or Minecraft modding we’re people actively sabotage their mods because they have some petty dispute with someone or gets so obsessed with their idea of how it should work that they make it unfun for everyone else.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeesis posted:

Hoping factorio modding does no go to the route of Bethesda or Minecraft modding we’re people actively sabotage their mods because they have some petty dispute with someone or gets so obsessed with their idea of how it should work that they make it unfun for everyone else.

Have you not heard about industrial revolution and the outer space one I can't remember the name of?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Hey space exploration is pretty great but I could do without the early game engine bullshit and mandatory Advanced Autonomous Industries integration. I guess other people could too, as there was a mod that is no longer updated that added the vanilla recipes back to the early game. I'm still playing and enjoying it but ehhh...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's Krastorio integration but the author is absolutely obsessive about his idea of "balance" and won't let anyone provide ways to turn off "features" or modify poo poo.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah I played through K2SE last year and decided to update everything and go again sans Krastorio. I think I'm liking it a little more.

Also playing heavily into recursive factorissimo.

edit: and transport drones!

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 28, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unfortunately, Wube hired the Space Exploration guy. Fortunately, it's for a meaningless job (concept artist or something), they made clear he has no power here. It seems likely the expansion will be Wube's own take on expanding into space. I have a looot of faith in them, so we'll see how things go.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Unfortunately, Wube hired the Space Exploration guy. Fortunately, it's for a meaningless job (concept artist or something), they made clear he has no power here. It seems likely the expansion will be Wube's own take on expanding into space. I have a looot of faith in them, so we'll see how things go.

That is actually interesting to me as it gives me a idea of what they plan for the dlc they are planning. Unsure if they will go full space exploration but they seem to at least want to make launch a space ship more than just the end.

Yeah they seem to have a solid idea of what and how they want to balance the game and I am sure if he starts wanting to modify poo poo it will either be “okay thanks” or “yeah no”. Base factorio is pretty easy once you learn the mechanics and they seem very against anything super complex even really late game and are definitely against tedium for the sake of slowing forward progress.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Started a Seablock (but on an island) game, got the basic stuff automated up through using steam power from charcoal or something, ore separation but still making all the rock to crush from water and venting my gas. Basic red science automated and fed off the ends of my very short smelter lines.

I also automated making sand (landfill) and stone pipes.

Decided I would just let everything run overnight to build up some iron plates as those are what are stopping my expansion at this point. Got up this morning to only about 500 iron plates, and everything all backed up. I forgot to replace 1 of my burner-ore crushers with a non-burner and it ran out of fuel.. doh.

At least I got a decent number of belts made before it ran out, and those plates gave me a little bit of a surge. First thing I did was replace the burner crusher!

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I have a looot of faith in them, so we'll see how things go.

Given how they handled the whole "maybe don't put a known bigot on a pedestal" situation, I can't really say the same.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Skiant posted:

Given how they handled the whole "maybe don't put a known bigot on a pedestal" situation, I can't really say the same.

While I can understand this, I’m also not sure how much it reflects that entire team’s ability to make a good game. I’d personally take more guidance from their work.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

At the entrance to your dead zone, for whatever reason you’re RPing it like that, put a station and a regular signal. Tie the signal to the station such that

1) signal is red, blocking all trains that would otherwise try that path.
2) If the signal turns yellow it’ll stay yellow until it turns green again like usual, but unless there is a train waiting at the station it will be forced to red instead of green.
3) if a train pulls into the entrance station the station reads it’s presence and passes this to the “red” signal for long enough that it turns green and then immediately yellow as the train reserves the block and leaves the station

Then the special trains just need to path through this entrance gate.

You should be able to just put a station on the track that you don't want trains to go through that sits there and does nothing. Trains will only path through a station if there are no other available paths. So basically they will always go around your special block unless they have to get to something inside of it.

Skiant posted:

I think everyone here will agree that that guy is a shithead and that it reflects badly on the whole org to let him mouth off. But it also says nothing about the technical and game design skills of him or the team.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Any tips on how to make this less.. belty? other than logistics drones that I don't really have a good way to keep in that cell, I was thinking the transport drone mod but the depots of those are just pretty big considering you can only request one item per depot.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What is it that you're trying to do here? And why do you want fewer belts? It looks fine to me.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Guess I've just gotten too used to not using a lot of belts thanks to the transport drones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Belts are good and you should embrace the spaghetti

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, rehumanize yourself and face to the belt spam

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Holy crap this thread inadvertently saved my rear end.

>make game with maxed ore richness and size
>can't find any uranium
>huge problem since coronal mass ejection will hit the planet in several hours
>want to complain in this thread
>decide to take screenshots to show how bad it is
>while taking a screenshot to show there is absolutely no ore on the map, discover a huge deposit of uranium on edge

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The Locator posted:

That's kinda garbage that they refuse to fix something like that. You sure as hell made it a lot further than I did before you bounced. I'm not sure if that means you win or not though. Lol.

One of the reasons I stopped my bobs playthroigh was I spent like 8 hours building a giant aluminium smelter to make aluminium only to find it was instantly obsoleted by the next tech and now only is used as a single item in upgrading robots.

Honestly since I’ve switched to krastorio 2 I’ve never looked back. It builds on stock rather than just adding pointless busywork complexity for the sake of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Does anyone know how LTN handles different provider stations providing the same item?
Does it form an array of the possible providers in some sort of order, so it'll always try to use the same provider as long as it's threshold is met, or does it rotate them or is it random or is it based on path distance from provider to requestor or what?
I've started a new AngelBob run and it would be nice to know if there's a point to setting up providers for byproducts at smaller stations, or if I should just trash them if I don't expect to need every single one and have one huge master provider for each item when possible.