Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Bismack Billabongo posted:

For my birthday, MY GIRLFRIEND bought a giant cabinet, tore it apart and restained the wood and reconfigured the whole thing for me to create this beautiful fuckin thing.

Not pictured: the legs that were on it, because they couldn’t handle the weight. We are going to try and figure something out there. Truly an infuriating turn of events because it looked much cooler with them.

She even put strip lights and a dimmer on it. I have decided to call it The Monolith.

Holy smokes that is cool and good looking. Fantastic job Bismack Billabongo's GF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

For my birthday, MY GIRLFRIEND bought a giant cabinet, tore it apart and restained the wood and reconfigured the whole thing for me to create this beautiful fuckin thing.

Not pictured: the legs that were on it, because they couldn’t handle the weight. We are going to try and figure something out there. Truly an infuriating turn of events because it looked much cooler with them.

She even put strip lights and a dimmer on it. I have decided to call it The Monolith.

Wow. That looks really nice. I wish I had the room for something like that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Wow. That looks really nice. I wish I had the room for something like that.

And a girlfriend :cawg:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Next step - upgrade that Sony record player! Good work to your SO though

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

And a girlfriend :cawg:

I'm gay so not really.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Stuff I’ve gotten in the past week or so. Big thanks to pwn for the bob dylan set! It’s great.

The rest is thrift store stuff, but surprisingly good thrift store stuff

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Stuff I’ve gotten in the past week or so. Big thanks to pwn for the bob dylan set! It’s great.

The rest is thrift store stuff, but surprisingly good thrift store stuff

Hell yeah on finding a Pere Ubu record in a thrift store.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Hell yeah on finding a Pere Ubu record in a thrift store.

It was a kind of a weird backwoods antique/thrift store. The record selection was good but all the big name classic rock records were marked $10+ regardless of if they were trashed or not, and other stuff was all over the place. The Pere Ubu didn’t have a sticker so I was sure the guy was going to tell me it was more than I really wanted to spend. I casually said, hey this one looks like it doesn’t have a sticker on it, and he said, yeah that means it’s a buck. Sold!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What's the one with the four medieval looking dudes on it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

What's the one with the four medieval looking dudes on it?

XTC - Black Sea

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Thank you for the kind words everyone. I’m very excited about it.

BigFactory posted:

Next step - upgrade that Sony record player! Good work to your SO though

I don’t even have the extra money to buy albums currently so I think I’m stuck with it. It gets the job done

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It is pretty good to be in a relationship with somebody who’s reupholstery chops rival patron vinyl saint Jack White.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

It was a kind of a weird backwoods antique/thrift store. The record selection was good but all the big name classic rock records were marked $10+ regardless of if they were trashed or not, and other stuff was all over the place. The Pere Ubu didn’t have a sticker so I was sure the guy was going to tell me it was more than I really wanted to spend. I casually said, hey this one looks like it doesn’t have a sticker on it, and he said, yeah that means it’s a buck. Sold!

A few years ago I was at Savers and they has 30% off sale. So the glass case up front had some Toto records marked at ten bucks. Then I went to the bins and found a first pressing of Zen Arcade, a UK first pressing of Sandinista, a They Might be Giants album, and a bunch of other poo poo. All NM condition. 70 cents each. Always buy records from squares.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Put some kids inside her NOW.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Put some kids inside her NOW.

Gross. Also this

I don’t even have the extra money to buy albums currently so I think I’m stuck with it. It gets the job done

From what I have heard kids severely cut into record spendin' money.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's the coolest setup I've ever seen, and a great reuse of an old stereo cabinet.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Recent record roundup:

Sextant is long-overdue for an audiophile reissue, but I'm impatient and this copy is VG-ish and cost me 12 bucks.

The Blakey record was also only 12 bucks although a bit more beat-up. I've been really digging the albums that feature Sabu on bongos, which adds an Afro-Caribbean flair. But this album... it's ok. It was released a year after Drum Suite (probably my all-time favorite Blakey album) and the same year as Moanin' so I guess I had high expectations for this album. I'm not sure if they did too much heroin for this session, or not enough.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Recent record roundup:

Sextant is long-overdue for an audiophile reissue, but I'm impatient and this copy is VG-ish and cost me 12 bucks.

The Blakey record was also only 12 bucks although a bit more beat-up. I've been really digging the albums that feature Sabu on bongos, which adds an Afro-Caribbean flair. But this album... it's ok. It was released a year after Drum Suite (probably my all-time favorite Blakey album) and the same year as Moanin' so I guess I had high expectations for this album. I'm not sure if they did too much heroin for this session, or not enough.

Is that the Tony Williams kinda rock record? Nice score though

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

Is that the Tony Williams kinda rock record? Nice score though

I'd say it's overall more fusion than anything but you're probably thinking of the song Open Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihtE4x0YgyU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

This rules. You had better bring it when her birthday comes around.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Gross. Also this

From what I have heard kids severely cut into record spendin' money.

You can't have cool poo poo if you have kids. It's one or the other. This is especially true in the case of records because they loving destroy everything and how easy would it be for kids to ruin a vinyl record. Every kid under 12 perpetually has sticky hands. What are they even doing that makes their hands sticky all the time and how are they not constantly irritated by that? If hell exists it's an eternity of children having access to my record collection.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

CPL593H posted:

You can't have cool poo poo if you have kids. It's one or the other. This is especially true in the case of records because they loving destroy everything and how easy would it be for kids to ruin a vinyl record. Every kid under 12 perpetually has sticky hands. What are they even doing that makes their hands sticky all the time and how are they not constantly irritated by that? If hell exists it's an eternity of children having access to my record collection.

Nah, you just teach em to wash their hands. My almost 5yo can put records on and she only touches the edges. She even knows how to use the turntable and marantz receiver.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Bandit posted:

Nah, you just teach em to wash their hands. My almost 5yo can put records on and she only touches the edges. She even knows how to use the turntable and marantz receiver.

Maybe I've just exclusively come across kids with lovely parents.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Maybe I've just exclusively come across kids with lovely parents.

Could be because I was taught how to operate a VCR and the family computer around the ages of 3 or 5. Hard to remember exactly when, whether it was before or after I started kindergarten, but some of my earliest memories are of watching Thomas the Tank Engine and Disney movie tapes that I had chosen and put on. Knew enough to rewind them after I was done too, and it was drilled into me to never use pause only the stop button if I had to stop the tape for a bit. Kids are smarter than we sometimes give them credit for.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Go buy a ring, my dude.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Not having kids means I can make fiscally irresponsible decisions at any time. e.g. buying that Nick Cave boxset that I am now kinda regretting haha.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Having kids is the death of fun.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

hell yeah, that's wha'ts up

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Here's a first for me: colored vinyl, but from the 80s! It seems pretty popular nowadays, but not so much back then.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Here's a first for me: colored vinyl, but from the 80s! It seems pretty popular nowadays, but not so much back then.

Does it have the speech about the car crash and why his brake pads are better?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
These Garth box sets are gonna put junior through college.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CPL593H posted:

Jams and preserves.

My kid knows the right way to pick them up so he has free range with it. He only wants to play the daft punk live album anyway

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jams and preserves.

My kid knows the right way to pick them up so he has free range with it. He only wants to play the daft punk live album anyway

Daft Punk is big money these days.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Jams and preserves.

Alive 2007? Mine picks it all the time. That and BBNG...and frozen

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yep for him it’s either that or cut copy

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yep for him it’s either that or cut copy

I am jelly of all your great scores. I don't have the camera handy but I scored a bit too, got a Ronny Montrose in good condition, never seen it before.

That is a pretty good unit if you have little ones though come to think of it. Nice and stout, got nice solid doors and covers. That's a lot like the one we had when I was little, but it had an 8-track as well, IIRC. Shame the legs couldn't take it, I'm sure you can find some more stout ones on the cheap if you can use the internet.

Is BSR McDonald a pretty good turntable?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Is BSR McDonald a pretty good turntable?

I might be thinking of something else completely, but I think that was JC Penney’s house brand in the 70s, and maybe outside of their very top end models, are nothing special. I’m not sure who made them for JC Penney.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I might be thinking of something else completely, but I think that was JC Penney’s house brand in the 70s, and maybe outside of their very top end models, are nothing special. I’m not sure who made them for JC Penney.

Well I may be trying one to play my 78s. I got one from Goodwill for $25, in really good condition, at least on the outside.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

Does it have the speech about the car crash and why his brake pads are better?

Ha, I actually told my partner, "Watch, one of the tracks is just going to be [weird Adam Sandler noises]". He stared at me in confusion for a second, then said "Wait, you know Adam Sandler isn't in that movie, right...?"

Oops. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Yep same old same old, a record in the thread's favorite genre. How's everybody else doing tonight?