Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Bicyclops posted:

Answer is simple. great Smash expert, Leffen is in town. have him remap your buttons and your hand will be better in no time.

Wow. Nice genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lmfao

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

My left hand is fine... it's something about the way I hold the controller while pressing R to charge up the missile storm while minding jump/shoot/dash with my thumb. Remembering L for free-aim only troubled me through Corpious.

I'm old and I have stubby thumbs. Such is life.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just got my first paycheck and I am picking this up for the weekend :cool:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Answer is simple. great Smash expert, Leffen is in town. have him remap your buttons and your hand will be better in no time.

lmao

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Man when the gently caress do we get the morph ball?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Man when the gently caress do we get the morph ball?

Soon

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
emmi sections are cool so far. lots to do in this metroid

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’m loving this so far. Just beat the first boss, now the big Emmi area is clear to explore. I didn’t think I’d like the Emmis when I was first hearing about them because that style of gameplay is counter to the slower, exploratory style that I love about the other Metroids but I actually like them a lot. I feel genuinely Dread when I have to go into one.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I didn't like the EMMIs or the bosses, but they were tolerable and the rest of the game is cool.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol I got stuck on the green EMMI for a solid day and then managed to beat it, kraid, and get the morph ball, teleport thing, bombs, and the diffusion beam or w/e in the next day. this game is excellent

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im really liking the bosses 2 fights in

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
sorry imps, but I DREAD the boss encounters in this game.

haven't gotten this mad at a videogame in a long time.
still my favorite 2D metroid tho

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

the bosses in this game are the best in any Nintendo game in decades

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Working through hard mode, beat the first boss yesterday feeling good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bicyclops posted:

Lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I’m loving this so far. Just beat the first boss, now the big Emmi area is clear to explore. I didn’t think I’d like the Emmis when I was first hearing about them because that style of gameplay is counter to the slower, exploratory style that I love about the other Metroids but I actually like them a lot. I feel genuinely Dread when I have to go into one.

i was a little nervous about the first emmi area, but the change of pace is so sweet.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Finished the game 100% today. Absolutely loved it all the way through. I really liked the progression in strength through the game. From terrified weakling that has to run away to absolute badass that can kill an EMMI by simply touching it, it just felt awesome to get to the item cleanup and feel like an untouchable god.

During that time, I stumbled upon a miniboss fight I'd somehow skipped, and killed it instantly with a Power Bomb. loving owned.

One thing that I felt really helped me in boss fights, especially those recurring minibosses, was using the aeion dash ability constantly for spacing. The arenas are large enough to dash around to put distance between you and them, and you can also use it after jumping, giving you huge horizontal mobility for, say, avoiding a dash attack.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

after time to reflect, at first i was kind of down on all the chozo soldier miniboss encounters, but looking back and seeing how quickly you shrrd through them after acquiring your powers they made for great measuring sticks for how kickass samus has become.

if im ranking, its super metroid, metroid prime, then dread but dread and prime are basically the same for quality.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The final boss was intense as hell

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
The second coyote time jump for grapple skip is so satisfying when you finally hit it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Feel like I'm getting near the end. I think I'm going to skip going for all the secrets and just start over on hard mode and look for them there because I'll appreciate them more then anyways

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

ultimate gamer rush when beating phase 3, failing the quicktime event and dying, saying out loud you're going to beat him this time, and then pulling it off the next fight

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black August posted:

ultimate gamer rush when beating phase 3, failing the quicktime event and dying, saying out loud you're going to beat him this time, and then pulling it off the next fight

I failed it, managed to not die and then won with less than 50 life left

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I failed it, managed to not die and then won with less than 50 life left

me and my brother kept trading on each death, we slept one night on it since phase 1 seemed impossible until I learned you have to do a running counter into his taunt, then it was all day learning the art of phase 2 while getting phase 1 down to a no-hit

I haven't felt that good about a final boss in years

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

that bit toward the end where Samus was just screaming as she metroids the boss's face to death was awesome. the whole ending is loving awesome.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Samus runs so fast in this game, this is imo the unsung feature that really ties the insanely good controls together

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

mycophobia posted:

figured it out. i was shooting one block but not the blocks above it. i only had to loop around the entire explorable area about 10 times before accidentally discovering it

This also happened to me lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Samus runs so fast in this game, this is imo the unsung feature that really ties the insanely good controls together

it almost makes up for speed booster not automatically engaging

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

it almost makes up for speed booster not automatically engaging
Gotta admit that click of the stick is the most annoying part of redoing shinespark puzzles

Overall phenomenal game tho, instant replay material (first boss beaten on Hard already). I did first think "man this is rapid-fire on the upgrades", but gradually realized that a) it fits the theme of Samus just wanting to GET OUT to a T and b) it's Fun, Actually

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

finally got to play this a little and got the morph ball and the varia suit and now so much has opened up to explore. my one complaint was that parts of it felt linear, but now so much has opened up and it feels like i can get back to all those places i missed. metroid is back and i love it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

finally got to play this a little and got the morph ball and the varia suit and now so much has opened up to explore. my one complaint was that parts of it felt linear, but now so much has opened up and it feels like i can get back to all those places i missed. metroid is back and i love it.

exactly where i am and exactly how i feel. lost power during the next boss fight and i'd been skipping save points b/c the checkpoint system is so friendly so.. cool more metroid

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

exactly where i am and exactly how i feel. lost power during the next boss fight and i'd been skipping save points b/c the checkpoint system is so friendly so.. cool more metroid

lol, i actually lost power for a quick second at one point just after killing an EMMI and started to curse the sky before i realized that the switch would just switch to handheld mode and then switched right back when i put the TV on. nintendo ftw.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

STONE COLD 64 posted:

after time to reflect, at first i was kind of down on all the chozo soldier miniboss encounters, but looking back and seeing how quickly you shrrd through them after acquiring your powers they made for great measuring sticks for how kickass samus has become.

I adore basically each an every boss fight in this game (even the ones I got stuck on at first), but especially what you posted. I struggled with the chozo quite a bit, and thought “not again” after meeting him a second time shortly after some more upgrades, only to have a much easier time with him and then of course the dual encounters, elite-chozo, x-chozo etc. that follow. Especially in later parts of the game it was a very cool way to learn that not only did you learn their patterns, but also got a lot more tools to beat them.

The pacing of the game is also pretty awesome. Around 2/3 imo there is such a nice pace of “boss fight” / “power up” / “EMMI” / “mini boss” / “boss” / “power up” it’s hard to put the game down.

Currently playing second run on hard mode, and it’s so so good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i love that the best thing to do during the kraid boss fight is exactly what samus does in the cut scene, just fire everything you've got into his mouth quickly. got me a couple of times on the second form though, getting the timing on the jumps was tricky. i'm still only in the fourth area and don't have more than like 40 percent items in the other three, this game must be huge.

i'm going to guess there's something like eight areas - one for each EMMI and one for the Big Boss.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

lol, i actually lost power for a quick second at one point just after killing an EMMI and started to curse the sky before i realized that the switch would just switch to handheld mode and then switched right back when i put the TV on. nintendo ftw.

i walked away as soon as it happened haha. thx nintendo

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the emmi kill animation being slower underwater makes sense but still lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the chozo who gives you the lore dump and the accompanying boss fight :moonrio:

i keep wanting to go retrace my steps back to every powerup i left behind every time i find an upgrade, but i've been pressing forward because i'm too interested to see what the other areas are like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
it feels like the devs want you to go forward every time. i branched off after the speed booster and that whole area is a one way loop that takes like 5 minutes, after a while of map looking i just said trust the game and went onward