Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Samovar posted:

I'd never even heard of this RWBY thing until now.

It's like anime, except even more perplexing mediocre.

I had heard about it before the Hbomberguy video because a guy in my D&D group kept talking about how awesome it was. This led me and another friend from the group to watch the first episode, at which point we both simultaneously come to the conclusion that the first dude had inexplicably terrible taste in media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I listened to a couple of episodes of Mary Cagle's podcast discussing RWBY with her friend and co-host and it sounded like the most absolute trite crap imaginable, and I can't believe it's gone on for 8 seasons and counting now.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It doesn't have solid character design, it has generic character design which lets people create their uninspired OCs.

What in the world are you talking about

Like character design is basically the thing that carried the show. That and the fact that gun scythes and shotgun gauntlets are really cool.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

nine-gear crow posted:

I listened to a couple of episodes of Mary Cagle's podcast discussing RWBY with her friend and co-host and it sounded like the most absolute trite crap imaginable, and I can't believe it's gone on for 8 seasons and counting now.
My absolute favorite part of HBomberguy's video was when he realized/revealed that Red vs Blue is still going on and was on season 17 or something at the time he released the RWBY video.

I think the most obvious thing that went wrong with RWBY was just that apparently nobody had any kind of real vision for the show. They just decided to make an anime and no one involved had a story they wanted to tell or characters that they wanted to develop.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Saagonsa posted:

What in the world are you talking about

Like character design is basically the thing that carried the show. That and the fact that gun scythes and shotgun gauntlets are really cool.

I think the issue here is that there are different standards for character design that people in the discussion are working with: RWBY has reasonably good character designs within the limitations it sets for itself, making effective use of colour and clothing to make its characters visually interesting. The problem I think that some people have is that the show falls into the "paper doll syndrome" you see in some anime where the characters all have the same basic proportions and bodyshape, being defined more by their accessories and hairstyles than the over all physicality of their form.

With RWBY, at least, this is more the result of the limitations of the technology they're working with, but I'm personally not a huge fan of the basic template they use for characters so the designs don't really do it for me.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

NorgLyle posted:

I think the most obvious thing that went wrong with RWBY was just that apparently nobody had any kind of real vision for the show. They just decided to make an anime and no one involved had a story they wanted to tell or characters that they wanted to develop.

Yeah, RWBY was "we should make an anime with the cooo fights guy!" as the entire pitch and Rooster Teeth just happens to have enough cash and viewers to keep it from collapsing. If this was an indie Kickstarter project, they would have ran with the remaining money after the second trailer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, RWBY was "we should make an anime with the cooo fights guy!" as the entire pitch and Rooster Teeth just happens to have enough cash and viewers to keep it from collapsing. If this was an indie Kickstarter project, they would have ran with the remaining money after the second trailer.

Which is kind of funny as now they're owned by Warner Brothers but still trying to pretend they're a garage operation.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Acute Grill posted:

That's also confusing. When they had Monty Oum it doesn't make a lot of sense that the whole like central premise of the show was not 'Anime Girls Punching and Kicking Each Other Every Episode'.

Make Team RWBY part of a smaller school and the underdogs. Make most of the other schools evil Hunger Games District 1 type things so you have a constant outlet both for Monty Oum's seeming desire to add new characters with fancy new weapons all the time and a ready made source of 'Bad Anime Girls To Punch and Kick'. Spin whatever other plot out of that setup.

Also, Sakura Taisen figured out in Game 1 and OVA 1 that nobody wants to actually watch Generic Male Protagonist in the show. Put him in the games, sure, so players can control him and date their choice of waifus but in the show shove Blonde Guy With A Sword into the back of every scene and focus on the characters that are going to get people watching and make you merch money.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the blonde guy with a sword was surprisingly one of the more interesting characters to me because of how low the bar was set once each other character opened their mouth of course then his love interest gets fridged to pump up his "character development" more lmao

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 24, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lunar detritus posted:

RWBY has its problems but the hatedom around it is really weird considering the show is inoffensively mediocre.

I'm of the mind RWBY trades between trashy fun and boring (its very mealy-mouthed attempts at political commentary aside) but there's two different critical branches of RWBY-indulgers.

There's the people who fall in that hbomberguy range of "it has some cool ideas, lots of dumb ideas, and ultimately fails to really be compelling" and then there's the more extreme wing of "nitpick every animation error and get insensibly mad at the show." I get the feeling that second cluster is part of the wider group of people who do that with every children's cartoon. However, it's particularly visible with RWBY because the fruits there aren't so much low-hanging as already-fallen-and-half-rotten-on-the-ground.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 24, 2021

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
One more week til Hallowe'en, and Flash In The Pan has a returning guest to talk about spoooooooooky animations! This one was particularly fun, and the cartoons were both pretty dang good, too.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I have a video: Kuncan Dastner did a video commentating on a handful of content creators who did the whole 'squid games but REAL LIFE?!?!?!' thing and how badly they missed the point of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYrEGJzPiq0

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mix. posted:

I have a video: Kuncan Dastner did a video commentating on a handful of content creators who did the whole 'squid games but REAL LIFE?!?!?!' thing and how badly they missed the point of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYrEGJzPiq0

I only saw the one hosted by Critikal, which felt alright if not a bit odd considering the source material.
I had no idea it was that much of a trend.

(and of course anything MrBeast does is just terrible anyway)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In video discussion, I couldn't decide what to put on for noise behind video games earlier, and Part 2 of Quinton's iCarly thing was in my suggestions so I was like "Whatever" and put it on. I've got to say, the joking "I just don't know who created these Nickelodeon shows!" bit is pretty lovely when you've spent 7 hours talking about the show.

I get how talking about the pedophile with the foot fetish would bring down what's supposed to be a fun retrospective series... but it's also kind of bad to just play clips of Miranda Cosgrove being contrived into sticking her big toe in a bath tub faucet so that she can spend a whole episode's B-plot with her bare foot bottom propped out of the bathtub and facing the camera and just not remark on that poo poo at all. Especially when you have a whole jokey aside near the end where you go "Hmm... am I forgetting anything? Hmmmm NOPE!"

And now he's saying on twitter he's working on what looks to be a 6 or 7-hour video of Victorious as a lead up to an eventual multi-hour Sam and Cat video:

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1452379374309687297

And it's like come on dude.... how much do you really need to dig into all of these interchangeably mean-spirited teen sitcoms?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

did quinton get cursed by the fae that requires him to make 50 hours of content about every show miranda cosgrove touched by nickelodeon or else they'll take his true name forever what the hell

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know about anyone else but this is definitely putting me off his channel. I thought he did a good job with his mix of subjects but these super long live action Nick show crap is not interesting to me at all.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mission creep is a hard thing to avoid

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah I think I'll just wait for PopArena to get around to those shows.

Should get there in another 5-10 years yeah?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mix. posted:

did quinton get cursed by the fae that requires him to make 50 hours of content about every show miranda cosgrove touched by nickelodeon or else they'll take his true name forever what the hell

no i think he just sucks rear end

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alacron posted:

Yeah I think I'll just wait for PopArena to get around to those shows.

Should get there in another 5-10 years yeah?

I shudder to think of all we’ll know about Dan Schneider’s Nick years by then.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know about anyone else but this is definitely putting me off his channel. I thought he did a good job with his mix of subjects but these super long live action Nick show crap is not interesting to me at all.
It is remarkable how much better Jose does the same martial. Even if a huge amount of it is just having videos of 1/10 the time or less to cover a full series. Also you know actually talking about how abuse on set re contextualizes stuff like with the Cosby show.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I really think the fact that he made this iCarly retrospective a subscriber push goal is what ultimately destroyed Quinton. The fact that this was a reward for his audience for reaching a subscriber milestone meant he set his own expectations for the video incredibly high, which I think (And as people have speculated on) has led to Quinton feeling like he needs to put out a lot of content about this show, regardless of if there's actually that much to say about it or not.

I'm a bit too old to be in the show's demographic and was never really a fan of live action teen sitcoms to begin with, so my own standards are obviously a bit skewed, but it seems like if you're doing a retrospective on iCarly then talking about how it was made by a pedophile foot fetishist is the most interesting possible thing you could discuss in the video.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

(Apologies if I missed this already being posted)

Tom Nicholas did a really good critique of Veritasium’s terrible video that is just straight up Waymo propaganda, and touches on the bigger issue of all the YouTube science educators who gladly just become mouthpieces for other interests.

https://youtu.be/CM0aohBfUTc

I was a bit bummed out that he didn’t also call out the fact that Waymo’s serious accident rate is not actually better than human drivers.

It perplexes the hell out of me how a channel and creator who defines themselves by their rational rigor could fail such a simple ethics test as "don't take money from people who produce products you report on." Like, I cannot fathom a more obvious conflict of interest.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Samovar posted:

I'd never even heard of this RWBY thing until now.

It's like anime, except even more perplexing mediocre.
No anime is just as perplexingly mediocre

https://i.imgur.com/nWcr9V5.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, some anime, yes. but then stuff like mob psycho exists so truly we live in a complex world

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Almost as if you can judge an entire medium on broad generalizations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The United States posted:

Also, that show was an anomaly for how incredibly terrible it was. The entire production staff was full of people that hadn't worked on a tv show before, and the director had only worked on live action shows before.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Imagine having a genre of entertainment around for more that a century and still being capable of making bad products.

Anyway, time to take a big sip of water and put on the live action Cruella movie and if that one won't play I can alwayd pick Space Jam: A New Legacy or Mortal Kombat instead!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
it's easier to still act like it's 2004 and generalize an entire medium. next up in my outdated edgy act, furries sure are gross, right folks?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
mob psycho is great >:(

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine having a genre of entertainment around for more that a century and still being capable of making bad products.

Anyway, time to take a big sip of water and put on the live action Cruella movie and if that one won't play I can alwayd pick Space Jam: A New Legacy or Mortal Kombat instead!

Somehow Cruella is the most insulting of those 3 movies while undoubtedly being the objective best of the three.

God drat did Cruella suck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh so we're at the "broad generalizations bringing out the ardent defenders" phase of anime discussion again, I see.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokinokaro posted:

Not touching that particular thing because it's become the latest target of the moron Star Wars reactionaries because a female writer on the team dares to have opinions.

You're not interested because reactionaries hate it?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

In conclusion, anime is a land of contrasts!

Now let's return to our spirited debate about the Zak Snyder isekai.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The United States posted:

this show looks badass whats it called

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alaois posted:

this show looks badass whats it called

I believe that's Ex-Arm

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Ex-Arm manga is deeply mediocre, at least the anime version is memorable

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh so we're at the "broad generalizations bringing out the ardent defenders" phase of anime discussion again, I see.

It's the same three jokes over and over again. 'ooh it's a nation of perverts that can't draw a good cartoon haw haw' It's boring. At least talk about the other ways that they gently caress up, like their denial of previous warcrimes or what they're doing to pizza over there. That's ripe for discussion.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

It's the same three jokes over and over again. 'ooh it's a nation of perverts that can't draw a good cartoon haw haw' It's boring. At least talk about the other ways that they gently caress up, like their denial of previous warcrimes or what they're doing to pizza over there. That's ripe for discussion.

corn and kewpie mayo on pizza is a treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RareAcumen posted:

'ooh it's a nation of perverts that can't draw a good cartoon haw haw'

yeah but enough about america we're talking about anime