Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's a really satisfying feeling when you take a boss that's been ohkoing you for two hours, and find just the right combination of defensive stats and debuffs to survive it long enough for sanae to buff someone into a 6HKOing it before it self-buffs beyond the point of survivability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Though I did have to grind just a little bit, this was the first lategame boss that both had a dps check and powerful offense and that makes raw stat totals much more valuable. Made it all the way to floor 20 without grinding when the game clearly expects it though so that was a good run

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baffled to see someone say that automatas story was bad..but the gameplay was good...Do you live in opposite land barudak.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They were both mediocre

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked it enough to suffer through the awful gameplay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Baffled to see someone say that automatas story was bad..but the gameplay was good...Do you live in opposite land barudak.

When your starting point is Drakengard and Nier, it's a massive jump in quality.

For what that's worth, anyway, there's better out there. And as is tradition I will say only that and not name any specific examples.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 25, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think drakengard 3's combat is fine when it's not stuck at a godawful framerate and og nier's combat is, not great but comparative to some other action rpgs it's honestly ok and mostly suffers from the fact that the game makes you repeat stuff one time too many

i don't dislike automata's but it does suffer a lot from a lack of enemy variety and the rpg stuff making stuff get a bit tanky

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I liked the combat in Nier 1. It's simple and button-mashy but never as tedious as Drakengard's combat

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think people overstate dod1's combat but i can understand why because until you get pact partners and realize how absolutely broken they are it feels a lot more tedious and tanky than it actually is

my hot tkae is still that i think dod1's dragon segments are leagues above 2's since in 1 you rarely encounter enemies you can't take down with a single shot, compared to every single enemy in dod2's dragon segments taking at least two full lock on volleys, and i would very willingly replay 1 over 2 any day just because the act of getting through it just on a mechanical level is less bothersome because it gives you many more tools to break it over your knee and it doesnt force you to replay it in its entirety twice with little to no unique content across playthroughs

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did the Nier phone game end up being good?

No

mycot posted:

What nihilistic video games are there other than Drakengard 1 and, uh, LISA

Lisa isn't even entirely nihilistic imo. For all the non choices and horrible things you do, you can at least try to have a positive impact on the world around you despite Brad being up there with Zero as a character that has every reason to say "gently caress everyone else".

Maybe OFF or original OneShot?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 25, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I dont think I called it good, merely that wasn't an impediment to finishing the game and the better of the two. The shoot em up sections were pure filth mind you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did the Nier phone game end up being good?

I like the stories a lot, the music and the graphics are nice. The gameplay..would be better if you had any loving indication of turn order.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

I recommend you play Disco Elysium if you haven't then, because you'll do exact opposite of me and get every single achievement on a single playthrough which seems like it'd be a wild and fun playthrough.

i played disco a while back, i do not think we are opposites in that respect but i liked it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

Yes I've noticed that people tend to like to think that anytime somebody says critical things about the games writing, as if there's just no way somebody could possibly think those things about it even with the final ending and the credits shooter and the song and all that, but sorry to dispel any illusions, I did not forget and only responded in kind when asked specifically about ending D for whatever reason.

Sometimes I feel people get too caught up in their own personal impressions and frequent internet consensus opinions that fly here there and everywhere around twitter such that they just can't comprehend that someone could see the whole package any differently than they did and figure that person must have just misinterpreted or missed something in particular that is just supposed to make all the difference apparently. Ending E was a nice sentiment to try to invoke I guess, but it really didn't change all that much for me and my problems with the scripting and narrative after practically an entire game of being hammered in the face by the increasingly exhausting often one note beats (there were some exceptions though), all the nihilism, unrelatable characters yelling at each other about stuff (again usually wanting to kill each other or kill something) and IMO sometimes senselessly wanton misery. I'm not even saying it's his worst game for that that I've seen an LP of or played myself, but it's still kind of a problem that comes up a lot.

Anyway as I keep saying like if that did it for other people and made them feel super uplifted great for them, I can't exactly see that as a bad thing and that they're not allowed to feel positive uplifting emotions just because I didn't, but yeah.....
look i dont know how to say this so ill be blunt: when you write giant walls of text where you project onto other people like this and then go 'but i mean if you disagree thats fine i guess it made you feel super happy or something' its not neutral or consolatory, it comes across insanely condescending and insulting. i wish, desperately, that you would stop posting like this. this is not about your opinions on nier automata it is about how you choose to communicate. it sucks rear end. why are you talking about twitter. we aren't on twitter. why are you talking about internet consensus opinions. a variety of opinions about nier automata have been posted in this thread. please stop doing this. i beg you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont want to blast too hard on the walls of text because ive got a brain tick that makes me type many many words about jrpgs but yeah at this point i literally cant engage with this many words that arent actually responding to anything

also it mightve come off a joke but like. legit man. what are the anime you were referring to that have bleak and ironic endings that are ultra popular these days. i am legitimately curious i've watched a fair amount of more popular modern anime and have no idea what they are if they aren't just notable things that aired in the last decade. i could almost understand madoka because drakengard 3 is deliberately playing off madoka in some respects but madoka was a decade ago

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
uhhh

I would like to state, for the record

just to lighten the mood

that two party members in The Caligula Effect 2 have attacks titled, and I quote, "Mega Yeet" and "Get hosed!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also I'm looking at that Monark game that came out in Japan and the combat really reminded me of that Lost Dimension game that I liked but mostly had a lukewarm reception and it turns out that Monark was also developed by some of the same people (not the same people as the obvious Persona guys tho)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
madoka's ending isn't bleak at all

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's sad that Homura is evidently acarred for life, though not overall bleak.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lesson learned: any time the unread post count jumps like this I'm just gonna assume it's more Kale verbal diarrhea and hit 'Last Post'.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah i agree that madoka's end isn't bleak and is more surreal and subjective. but in this context it's like literally the only thing i can think of that meets kale's vague criteria. i can think of no other modern popular anime that fits what he's said

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Devilman Crybaby?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno how popular it is but Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero season one ends on an incredibly somber note right before the coda asspulls a happy ending that is wildly thematically inappropriate

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei posted:

uhhh

I would like to state, for the record

just to lighten the mood

that two party members in The Caligula Effect 2 have attacks titled, and I quote, "Mega Yeet" and "Get hosed!"

Oh cool, it's like how Tales of Graces has Asbel and Hubert using silly nonsense names for their artes before the timeskip. Like Hubert's got No! and Get Back! And Asbel's got Yah! and Tah-haah!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really like a lot of Richard’s attacks cause half of them are insults, Unbridled Scorn in particular is a great insult attack name.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I really like a lot of Richard’s attacks cause half of them are insults, Unbridled Scorn in particular is a great insult attack name.

It's on the list to try if they ever rerelease it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

my favorite little detail in the whole franchise is that recurring artes are a common thing in the series, and usually its pretty obvious. protagonists usually have a lot of moves that started with the protag of the first game, there's a lot of recurring spells, etc.

Velvet in Berseria doesn't have any of the standard protagonist artes, but she does have a couple callback artes. Richard from Graces and Regal from Symphonia. A guy who was chased down and nearly killed by a family member and then got possessed by basically a demon, and a guy who was in jail for years. Just like her! Great little detail.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

my favorite little detail in the whole franchise is that recurring artes are a common thing in the series, and usually its pretty obvious. protagonists usually have a lot of moves that started with the protag of the first game, there's a lot of recurring spells, etc.

Velvet in Berseria doesn't have any of the standard protagonist artes, but she does have a couple callback artes. Richard from Graces and Regal from Symphonia. A guy who was chased down and nearly killed by a family member and then got possessed by basically a demon, and a guy who was in jail for years. Just like her! Great little detail.

I made a joke about it in the Tales thread, but it’s pretty great that her last arte is Defiant Conviction because behind it sounding cool it fits really well with both the names of her earlier artes and where she’s at narratively endgame.

Missed out on the Regal thing though, it’s been a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Missed out on the Regal thing though, it’s been a while.
A lot of her kick moves are derived from Regal's, some of them have slight name alterations but they're extremely slight. Like Rising Moon vs Crescent Moon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh hey, there's an English version of Monark's starting personality test on the NISA site

https://nisamerica.com/monark/ego-analysis

And it looks like the whole "seven deadly sins" personality thing determines your battle focus

I got Envy and it said this:

"Your Envious Ego and covetous ways allow you to control Daemons that can confer status ailments and strike harder against higher-level targets!"

I can't seem to get anything else, so feel free to take the test and report what the other 6 got

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Anything I should know re:playing neo-TWEWY? On day four or five now and I've been not-super-going-out-of-my-way but chain stacking five battles and breezing through them whenever I get couple of new pins to level before running off to the next breadcrumb.

Which has lead to me having drop rates of like x60 from sitting at level one and having more then enough money to buy out the shops so I am not sure if I am basically super grinding and trivializing the game or if this is just early game is just easy and snooze worthy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gamerofthegame posted:

Anything I should know re:playing neo-TWEWY? On day four or five now and I've been not-super-going-out-of-my-way but chain stacking five battles and breezing through them whenever I get couple of new pins to level before running off to the next breadcrumb.

Which has lead to me having drop rates of like x60 from sitting at level one and having more then enough money to buy out the shops so I am not sure if I am basically super grinding and trivializing the game or if this is just early game is just easy and snooze worthy

Early game is pretty easy, enemies can get killed by basically spamming attacks. Things get more difficult later on, sometimes requiring you to time attacks and focus more on dodging enemies rather than getting in their faces.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are there any good rpgs that are similar to Riviera the Promised Land? I can think of games that do some of Riviera's mechanics but none that do all of them.

Riviera was a mix of the following:
- Characters got stronger through repeated use of items/weapon
- Characters had their own individual uses for each item/weapon
- Items/weapons had a limited number of uses unless you were doing a practice battle which is how you'd power your characters up since several items wouldn't have enough durability for every character to level up from using them
- Exploration was menu based, you'd go from screen to screen and have a few places you can interact
- Exploration was based on a limited number of exploration points, some spots were free to interact with but many required to spend a point from your pool of exploration points and you could only get more of the points from getting high ranks in battles
- Battles were turn based and were also preset encounters
- Many interactive points had quick time events to determine if you perform a task successfully or not
- The items in your inventory could be affected by things happening in the environment, though I can't remember if this was a common thing in that game since the only example I can think of is if you fall into some water in one of the chapters then all of your book-related items turn into wet destroyed books
- The game had 5 party members with 3 slots per battle
- Game had a winged black cat who accompanied you and would sass you

Obviously there isn't going to be some game that is just an exact copycat of Riviera but I'm hoping to find some Riviera-esque recommendations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Junpei posted:

Oh hey, there's an English version of Monark's starting personality test on the NISA site

quote:

Your Desire for Lust surpasses all others.
You long to both love and be loved. You value your
relationships with others more than anything else in life,
and so you're more influenced by your feelings,
motivations, and connections with people.
I'll bet your emotions vary depending on who's around.

Hm... It seems your desires are a bit lacking, somehow.
What desires you do have are strong, but you appear to lack balance.
Are you afraid of wanting things?
None of your desires should be neglected, you know.

Your Lustful Ego and predilection for affection allow you to control Daemons who can charm foes and subdue them with the power of heat!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I want to play Monark

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2 days until Undernauts comes out in English. If that doesn't happen and I've botched the dates Im gonna finish astria ascending because I've played enough good games Im ready now.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any good rpgs that are similar to Riviera the Promised Land? I can think of games that do some of Riviera's mechanics but none that do all of them.

Riviera was a mix of the following:
- Characters got stronger through repeated use of items/weapon
- Characters had their own individual uses for each item/weapon
- Items/weapons had a limited number of uses unless you were doing a practice battle which is how you'd power your characters up since several items wouldn't have enough durability for every character to level up from using them
- Exploration was menu based, you'd go from screen to screen and have a few places you can interact
- Exploration was based on a limited number of exploration points, some spots were free to interact with but many required to spend a point from your pool of exploration points and you could only get more of the points from getting high ranks in battles
- Battles were turn based and were also preset encounters
- Many interactive points had quick time events to determine if you perform a task successfully or not
- The items in your inventory could be affected by things happening in the environment, though I can't remember if this was a common thing in that game since the only example I can think of is if you fall into some water in one of the chapters then all of your book-related items turn into wet destroyed books
- The game had 5 party members with 3 slots per battle
- Game had a winged black cat who accompanied you and would sass you

Obviously there isn't going to be some game that is just an exact copycat of Riviera but I'm hoping to find some Riviera-esque recommendations.

This might be a dumb suggestion since they're not mechanically similar, but you might like the other dept heaven games. Yggdra Union is the closest I guess? It's an SRPG but frankly most of the closest things I can think of are SRPGs.

The series is generally really experimental and weird which is cool but makes finding things that similar to them.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 26, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Funny you should mention that...

Monark Website posted:

Your Ego is governed by... PRIDE

Your Desire for Pride surpasses all others.
You crave self-actualization.
You believe in yourself and your own abilities,
and so your actions are dictated by logic.
You quite enjoy being in control, don't you?

As a whole, your desires are moderately strong.
Something about you seems unbalanced, though...

Your Prideful Ego and strong sense of self-worth allow you to control Daemons that can strengthen themselves and heal damage!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Monark Website posted:

Your Ego is governed by... GLUTTONY
Your Desire for Gluttony surpasses all others.
You grow by gorging yourself on as much as possible.
You're a voracious consumer,
always searching for something new,
but you tend to lose sight of your goals.
I'd guess that your unfocused methods
sometimes lead to you getting burned out.

Your desires are quite strong indeed...
You have a firm sense of self and a stable Ego.

Your Gluttonous Ego and ravenous need for growth allow you to control Daemons that can absorb stats from other units and steal items!

well ok :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Website posted:

Your Ego is governed by... pride
Your Desire for Pride surpasses all others.
You crave self-actualization.
You believe in yourself and your own abilities,
and so your actions are dictated by logic.
You quite enjoy being in control, don't you?

Your desires are quite strong indeed...
You have a firm sense of self and a stable Ego.

Your Prideful Ego and strong sense of self-worth allow you to control Daemons that can strengthen themselves and heal damage!

Extremely fair, honestly downplays it tbh