Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

The D-Seed II is kind of underwhelming. It's not going to do much in the way of adding a worthwhile stereo effect to a mono source. There's a ping pong switch that alternates repeats between fully panned left and fully panned right, and that's it. If you already have something stereo and want it to stay stereo through a delay, it's fine for that and why mine stays hooked up to a drum machine. Tap tempo (important, because rate knob otherwise adjusts in intervals synced to tempo), setting the favorite, and some auxillary functions of the looper involve holding both switches simulatenously which I imagine would be pretty annoying to operate by foot while standing.

It's not worth it for the price point anymore either. You can get very similar functionality, minus the ping pong switch, from the Donner Island Delay, which people have been raving about to the point where it is sold out, for less money (I think $65 to D-Seed II's $80). The Donner pedal also only has one foot switch, which proves the D-Seed II's convoluted switch pressing is totally unnecessary!

If you're willing to spend more money, I would. My general observation is that inexpensive, Chinese-made analog circuits can be phenomenal, but a lot of modulation/digital stuff really typifies getting what you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021

algebra testes posted:

Keeley Eccos is popular now.
Thanks for the recommendation, I didn't know about this one and will add it to my list of options.

kidfresca posted:

The D-Seed II is kind of underwhelming. It's not going to do much in the way of adding a worthwhile stereo effect to a mono source.

Got it, and thanks for the explanation. It doesn't sound what the D-Seed is what I'm after now, but good to know about the Donner pedal in case I ever want to get a stereo pedal with synth or drum machine in mind.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boss DD7/8. I've owned like 3 DD7's because I kept selling them, trying to get something more feature packed and better and coming back to them. Great sound bonehead simple.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Well look at that, Donner makes another stereo delay in the same series. It's tape echo only, but each output has its own full set of knobs, so two independent delays between L and R channels. It's normally $50, but if you have an Amazon Prime membership it's $40 today and tomorrow for Prime Day.

Edit: it's named "White Tape"

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've been trying to think of a rec but all of my favorite delays are mono

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like the TC electronic flashback triple delay. It's stereo, and you can run multiple delays in serial or parallel. Takes up a lot of real estate on the board though.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I like the Boss DD-200. It's stereo, not too big, everything is adjusted by knobs, feels simple to use, and it even has a little display.

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021
Thanks for the new suggestions, after checking out demo videos for each, these all look really cool. I should have had the DD-7 on my original list since a lot of bands I like use it and I like Boss pedals, but I think I overlooked it for being a classic. For some reason I always thought the DD-200 was like $500 but it does look really usable and with a ton of options. I don't have Prime so I'm not worried about missing out on the Donner pedal deal, but $50 is a pretty nice price point on its own, and I bet I'll grab one eventually if it stays available.

I hadn't had any Flashbacks on my radar because I thought they were primarily looper-focused or too similar to the Canyon, but the Triple Flashback is really intriguing. I only play at home for now and like making ambient or shoegazey sounds, so I think I could get a lot of use out of the triple delays in both parallel and series combinations. One delay of choice combined with ping-pong and a switchable reverse seems really interesting, and the biggest criticism of the pedal (aside from its size) seems to be that the tap tempo doesn't control all 3 delays (edit: just the active ones), which is fine for me generally and it looks like if I wanted to I could get around that limitation by learning how to use a MIDI clock to set all three simultaneously. That one has jumped to the top of my list, but I'm still thinking about all the pedals mentioned except for the the MM w/ Hazarai that I originally brought up.

having fun posting fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 22, 2021

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
In the last year or so, I fell down the fuzz rabbit hole. I've had a Walrus Audio Jupiter for a few years and it never really caught me. On a whim, I bought a Black Russian Big Muff from Seeker Seeker Electric Effects. I was shocked at how much I loved it. All the doom metal and 90's alt rock I've loved suddenly made sense. Since then I've bought a bunch more fuzzes from Seeker and have been impressed with each (I have a tone bender mk 1.5, colorsound, supa fuzz, and treble booster now). I cannot recommend Seeker enough. Dude is real cool too and responds quickly and thoughtfully to inquiries if you are tone chasing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I always thought the distinctions people made about muffs was cork sniffing but Russians (green and black) really are different from the others. They're bitey and aggressive whereas triangle knob muffs are horrible flat mid scooped mix ruiners.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

anybody messed around with a walrus mako r1? i really like the size and the power and i wonder how it is to actually program and use, especially live

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just took the reverb tank out of an old practice amp.

I'm hoping to turn it into an effect unit. I like the look of the anasounds controller. Is there anything else like it, but cheaper? I don't know if I'd be up for a DIY kit instead, but maybe.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I looked into this stuff a while back and the Anasounds pedal is the only one I know of.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Same, it's a weirdly empty niche (as that pedal talks about).

It's a very simple circuit to wire up, if you're interested - just level shifting (and then most things have EQ and feedback), should be very easy to find diagrams.

I was gonna do that but then sprung for a Eurorack module that does all that for me, and haven't thought about it much since. This might be completely unhelpful though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It is helpful, thanks.
I might just spring (ha!) for the Anasounds for Christmas.

Looks like I should have done this a couple of years ago when Surfybear was still selling a DIY kit.

edit: Would the above tank even be decent? The brand seems reputable, but it's only got two springs where some seem to have three.
I don't recall my old amp's reverb being all that drippy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 24, 2021

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Are you wanting to use this live/in a guitar rig or are you just using it for recording purposes? If you just need it for recording, what you have should be fine. The quality of these things doesn't vary much. I use a $20-$30 "Mr. Power" reverb tank I ordered on Amazon and simply run cables from and back to my interface. If your interface doesn't push enough signal + has a high noise floor you may want to boost the signal both before and after the tank, depending.

Here's an old vid: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaJ1rW1FdCH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link Audio sounds crappy because I stuck my bottom phone mic into an ear of my headphones. In recordings it came through nicely. You can hear it clearly on the drums and ukulele in this track: https://jtholen.bandcamp.com/track/formations-basidia

Nowadays I have it permanently hooked up to a channel so I can dial in spring reverb whenever I want.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 25, 2021

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just took the reverb tank out of an old practice amp.

I'm hoping to turn it into an effect unit. I like the look of the anasounds controller. Is there anything else like it, but cheaper? I don't know if I'd be up for a DIY kit instead, but maybe.

Does it currently work? If you’ve just got the unit there; you need a circuit that splits your input, amplifies the signal going through the spring, then at the other end of the spring recovers the signal through amplifying it again, then have bring that back into the dry signal.

This guy approximated all of that using things like a headphone amp, DI and preamp to avoid building anything if you need inspo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1m5q8vNh0

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Oh geez just the control pedal by itself is 207 euros? For that price I'd just get a Surfybear

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

UncleBlazer posted:

Does it currently work?
The amp I took it out of reverbed when I turned up the dial, so I suppose so.
I'll check out the vid. Cheers.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

that behringer fuzz everyone likes rules

DS-1 makes a nice clean(ish) boost and I like the tone control better than a ts9 or a klone.

I have a feeling everyone knows this stuff already

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Oh whoops. I guess I should crosspost this here, considering it's kinda the point of this thread. :v:

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Turns out upgrading from an Amazon Basics compressor pedal into a rackmount unit (an Alesis 3630) is somewhat of a stark change. :stare: And here I thought "compressor" was just audio engineer speak for "make poo poo loud button." Not bad for a cool hundo off eBay.

Any other cheap rackmount effects folks have experience with that are worth looking at? Got 5u free in my rack and I can start to feel an itch forming...

(For reference, this is mostly for synth stuff.)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Rack mount aural exciters are cheap as and fun.

That weird situation where you don't think it's doing anything till you turn it off and wonder how you sounded so awful so long.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
anyone got good helix patches?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

muike posted:

anyone got good helix patches?

Yaya. I’ll PM you tomorrow with some links.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mojo Mojo is a dope pedal plus I get to make Power Puff girl jokes.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Like a fool I just bought a 300 dollar pedal.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

PTSDeedly Do posted:

You're only a fool if it's a boutique tubescreamer or fuzzface.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

PTSDeedly Do posted:

if it's an industrialectric RM-1N let me tell you it is 100% worth it

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Strymon El Cap? That was my first pedal and I don't regret it.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
10 SF300s?

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Dr Robert lol

I do like the sound of lovely transistor amps

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Dr Robert lol

I do like the sound of lovely transistor amps

Putting the tone controls on internal trimmers is a hate crime.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

The pedal sounds really good. Does nice things to the string attack (very chimey, compressed, and hollow) when the mid knob is turned up, does a good sounding spitty/gated thing which affects the bass strings more than the treble strings when the gain is turned up. Mach Schau control was completely useless (too much gain) before turning the internal trimpot.

I'll try to post some demos later.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Oh whoops. I guess I should crosspost this here, considering it's kinda the point of this thread. :v:

(For reference, this is mostly for synth stuff.)

content warning: behringer

----

if you want a 'pure' effects box, the behringer rev2496 is amazing. they're hard to find these days and sometimes marked up, but they have some of the cleanest and best sounding reverbs and delays out there. ive heard rumors they ripped off eventide with their hallmark reverb algo, i dunno for sure, that gossip flies all the time. they're also easy to program with a nice big screen and good push encoders. its definitely oriented towards an xlr/line level type setup and would mesh well with a synth rig. two independent fx engines and you can route them any way you want. mine's set up for two mono inputs and a summed stereo output, i feed the two ins via two auxes on my mixer and return it all through one stereo return.

my rack's built around a rev2496 and the same-line dynamics processor, the deq2496. more eqs, comps, limiters than you can shake a stick at.

e: after a couple searches, they appear to be unobtainium now. ignore that one ebay listing for $3k. i wanna say i paid 249 for mine last year

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
just gonna say it: Behringer is the modern Peavey

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

content warning: behringer

----

if you want a 'pure' effects box, the behringer rev2496 is amazing. they're hard to find these days and sometimes marked up, but they have some of the cleanest and best sounding reverbs and delays out there. ive heard rumors they ripped off eventide with their hallmark reverb algo, i dunno for sure, that gossip flies all the time. they're also easy to program with a nice big screen and good push encoders. its definitely oriented towards an xlr/line level type setup and would mesh well with a synth rig. two independent fx engines and you can route them any way you want. mine's set up for two mono inputs and a summed stereo output, i feed the two ins via two auxes on my mixer and return it all through one stereo return.

my rack's built around a rev2496 and the same-line dynamics processor, the deq2496. more eqs, comps, limiters than you can shake a stick at.

e: after a couple searches, they appear to be unobtainium now. ignore that one ebay listing for $3k. i wanna say i paid 249 for mine last year

Ahh, that's just as well -- already have enough reverb/delay in my setup at this point. I've actually been looking at the Ultra Curve Pro from that series after seeing it in a video, which still seems to hover around that price point.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's an incredible value. It's got those "dynamic compressors" which are basically multiband compressors, though each band robs one of your parametric slots - but those are plentiful anyways.

For my streaming and discord voice chat i run the Behr tube preamp into the ultracurve, then into Nvidia RTX Voice (to nuke my nerd keyboard clicks) and people constantly tell me I sound like an NPR dude.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Behringer being horrible stuff that catches fire hasn't been true in decades tbh. It's kind of like how the reputation for Squiers and Epiphones etc al being horrible trash that will literally disintegrate in your hands lasted far longer than when it ceased being a concern.

Behringer cuts costs in construction, like chassis ruggedness and poo poo. In my experience this doesn't loving matter when it comes to their studio stuff because if you're using your equipment viciously and constantly chances are you aren't running a studio that would have Behringer level stuff anyway.

Behringer pretty much just clones stuff, cheaply, and that's okay. Because gear is just gear. If it works and doesn't die, and it sounds good, just use it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

They have a few dodgy practices though, like I'm pretty sure they've ripped DSP, not just circuits in the past. Also this weird thing

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxe7qx/a-major-synth-company-created-this-fake-product-to-attack-a-journalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

massive spider posted:

They have a few dodgy practices though, like I'm pretty sure they've ripped DSP, not just circuits in the past.

this seems like the same thing to me? just one's code and the other's layout. personally I'm not getting paid to do IP work in either domain so I can't figure out why I should care, especially when there's a financial incentive not to

(the pedal mock up and the lawsuit flurry around the same time are much weirder and I don't want to come off like I'm defending either thing here)