Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Since I've still got nothing to add to the conversation here, I'll just post another pointless picture of some of my gear from the other night. I swear I wouldn't need any lamps in this room if I turned this and everything else on at once.

Edit:

Oh! Oh! I do have something. Anyone else have one of these? Doepfer A-147-2 Voltage Controlled Delayed LFO + VCA. I've just been using it as a normal LFO for now but I feel like I'm definitely, definitely not using it to the fullest of its ability. Wondering if anyone has any cute tricks to try with it.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

Oh! Oh! I do have something. Anyone else have one of these? Doepfer A-147-2 Voltage Controlled Delayed LFO + VCA. I've just been using it as a normal LFO for now but I feel like I'm definitely, definitely not using it to the fullest of its ability. Wondering if anyone has any cute tricks to try with it.

I suppose you already explored the more complex LFO shaping as well it can do? The product page says it can be used as a ring modulator and provides a few patch ideas as well

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Turns out upgrading from an Amazon Basics compressor pedal into a rackmount unit (an Alesis 3630) is somewhat of a stark change. :stare: And here I thought "compressor" was just audio engineer speak for "make poo poo loud button." Not bad for a cool hundo off eBay.

Any other cheap rackmount effects folks have experience with that are worth looking at? Got 5u free in my rack and I can start to feel an itch forming...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

an alesis quadraverb or 5 to keep your compressor company

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Turns out upgrading from an Amazon Basics compressor pedal into a rackmount unit (an Alesis 3630) is somewhat of a stark change. :stare: And here I thought "compressor" was just audio engineer speak for "make poo poo loud button." Not bad for a cool hundo off eBay.

Any other cheap rackmount effects folks have experience with that are worth looking at? Got 5u free in my rack and I can start to feel an itch forming...

wait until you figure out how to use your compressor to sidechain, and punch your drums right through everything else.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

wait until you figure out how to use your compressor to sidechain, and punch your drums right through everything else.

assuming thats the plan given the 3630 name drop

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

compressors let you say the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Where are you guys selling your synths? I have a long history on eBay, but I got sick of people winning my auctions and NEVER loving PAYING, and then having to re-list 30 days after the auction. (Also didn't like how they discouraged Buy It Now vs auctions, etc.)

So I sold my first synth on Reverb. Roland MKS-70 in excellent condition. It sold within 12 hours of listing. A day after the buyer received the package I left them positive feedback (hoping that would remind them to feed me back).

Well then a day after that they message me saying the thing is making a terrible noise when not playing and they are disappointed. They sent me an audio recording and (assuming they weren't being shady) something definitely happened to the synth in transit. The thing was studio-ready when I boxed it up (I even have raw audio recorded from it just 3 days before I listed it), and I packed it well- I've sold a lot of synths.

Anyway, because of the cost I had to pay for Reverb's "Safe Shipping" service when shipping the thing to the buyer, and this seems to just mean that an employee will step in to moderate between the buyer and seller on disputes. They withheld my payment because of the dispute, and nearly 2 weeks after the buyer received my synth I got an email from Reverb that they offered the buyer a "partial refund" (which of course was taken out of my cut of the synth).

I'm really hoping the buyer was being honest and not trying to just get a great synth for less-than-market prices, but I have a closet full of old synths I was planning to unload on Reverb (two of them much more expensive than this one), and now I'm not sure what to do. Is eBay any better in matters like this? (Thinking about it, at least Reverb appeared to have human beings interacting with me, while interacting with eBay is like doing a Turing test, so I dunno.)

Anyway, experiences selling/shipping your gear on either site?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've sold tons of stuff on Reverb with zero issues. I really like their entire setup, not that it's flawless. eBay is definitely worse with that sort of thing overall. At the end of the day I think it's a bit of a gamble when it comes to selling high priced items. Usually you'll get serious and honest people in that bracket but the assholes will always be around.

Sorry about that whole situation, sounds very frustrating.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sadly this kind of poo poo happens anywhere I think. I haven't sold anything but Ive bought tons on Reverb and I've never left anything but positive feedback and moved on.... Hopefully most people are like that and this was a fluke

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Reverb and craigslist as a backup. I try to sell locally whenever possible which is pretty easy here in mega city one

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Radiapathy posted:

Where are you guys selling your synths? I have a long history on eBay, but I got sick of people winning my auctions and NEVER loving PAYING, and then having to re-list 30 days after the auction. (Also didn't like how they discouraged Buy It Now vs auctions, etc.)

So I sold my first synth on Reverb. Roland MKS-70 in excellent condition. It sold within 12 hours of listing. A day after the buyer received the package I left them positive feedback (hoping that would remind them to feed me back).

Well then a day after that they message me saying the thing is making a terrible noise when not playing and they are disappointed. They sent me an audio recording and (assuming they weren't being shady) something definitely happened to the synth in transit. The thing was studio-ready when I boxed it up (I even have raw audio recorded from it just 3 days before I listed it), and I packed it well- I've sold a lot of synths.

Anyway, because of the cost I had to pay for Reverb's "Safe Shipping" service when shipping the thing to the buyer, and this seems to just mean that an employee will step in to moderate between the buyer and seller on disputes. They withheld my payment because of the dispute, and nearly 2 weeks after the buyer received my synth I got an email from Reverb that they offered the buyer a "partial refund" (which of course was taken out of my cut of the synth).

I'm really hoping the buyer was being honest and not trying to just get a great synth for less-than-market prices, but I have a closet full of old synths I was planning to unload on Reverb (two of them much more expensive than this one), and now I'm not sure what to do. Is eBay any better in matters like this? (Thinking about it, at least Reverb appeared to have human beings interacting with me, while interacting with eBay is like doing a Turing test, so I dunno.)

Anyway, experiences selling/shipping your gear on either site?

…what u sellin (GAS is real). Maybe some folks in the thread might be interested.

I’ve had multiple things arrive damaged AF, I buy more than I sell, and reverb has been far better than eBay for resolving things for the buyer. Haven’t seen how it played out on the seller side because I haven’t had anyone dispute the five or six things I’ve ever sold on there.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Reverb and craigslist as a backup. I try to sell locally whenever possible which is pretty easy here in mega city one

I am gonna test the local waters with my pricier boxes next time. I know there are synth nerds here.

Glad to hear others have had better luck on Reverb, though. Since most of the synths I'm selling are >30 years old I'm wondering if there's ANY 100% safe way to pack these things. Like the MKS-70... it has 3 or 4 boards connected by a hinge inside. If the box got turned upside down for any amount of time, who knows what could happen in there.

I might switch gears and sell a couple less-expensive/more recent gear just to see what kind of issues happen before listing anything precious again.

EDIT:

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

…what u sellin (GAS is real). Maybe some folks in the thread might be interested.

These are all the synths I'm planning to unload, in no order:
Roland: MKS-20, MKS-30, MKS 80 (two of them, both rev. 4), MKS-50, D-110, MKS-7
Waldorf: Blofeld, Pulse 2, Streichfett, Rocket

I'm recording a complete song with each of them before listing them, so it's a slow trickle. Probably 1 a month? (Working on the first MKS-80 track now, and the patch programming is a huge headache.)

EDIT 2: Forgot about the Roland Boutiques. I will def. record tracks with each of them, but not sure yet whether I will sell. Anyway, potential future listings: JX-03, D-05, JP-08, JU-06a

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 4, 2022

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Even in the best of times there isn’t a single package carrier that can make sure your parcel stays oriented upright, and based on what I’ve been seeing loading and unloading trucks at the post office lately there isn’t even a guarantee that it isn’t just gonna get crammed loose into the back of a trailer with 30 sacks piled on top.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

Found in the wild today

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I've sold quite a bit over Reverb over the past year or so and have had almost entirely good experiences as a seller (mostly pedals and eurorack modules). As a buyer, I've had to report a few thing where packages have been packed really poorly and items were ruined. That was fairly painless aside from the frustration of not getting the thing.

I've recently joined a bunch of discord communities that are fairly active and the markets on each are usually pretty good. Mileage varies per person, but most people are not fuckheads and understand general etiquette. You can usually search a channel's history for a person's messages and kinda get a feel for if they're cool or vindictive pieces of poo poo.

Granted, things move a lot slower on the discord channels. I have a bunch of modules I'm selling have sold a few, but a lot kinda sit. Platform definitely favors people more interested in trading items.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Chainclaw posted:

That's my plan for the weekend, yup.

As for Reverb, I've had pretty good luck with it. Most people are super chill and reasonable when something goes awry. Only negative experience I had was with a seller who went off on me when the knob for the module she sent me was totally borked, even though she'd packed the item like total rear end (as in you'd hear the encoder click when you set the package on a table). Accused me of breaking it by removing the apparently super special secret knob cover that her boyfriend who totally owns Error Instruments said would irreparably destroy it.

Reverb offered me a partial discount before they contacted her. Theeeen they messaged me back 20 minutes later with a full refund and told me I could keep the module. :allears: And it was a Mordax. Which I got repaired for free. That was a good week.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 4, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT 2: Forgot about the Roland Boutiques. I will def. record tracks with each of them, but not sure yet whether I will sell. Anyway, potential future listings: JX-03, D-05, JP-08, JU-06a

would be interested in the D-05 and JU-06 when this eventually happens!

If you're serious about selling bigger ticket things, could be worth getting a MW account B/S/T privileges. That's by far the easiest place to buy, sell, and trade imo (if you're down with forums). Prices aren't top top top but you'll get the right eyes on it and scamming isn't nearly as bad as the normal ecommerce spots (or CL)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I will buy any Roland boutiques you wanna sell me as well. Also looking for anything 1U sized lol

Also korg release wavestate se plz

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

lsdj kinda doesn't really sound right or good on a gba, needs to be an oldschool dmg-1 or a color

Well now what you went and made me do :mad:

I actually just wanted one for nostalgia but I'm gonna go ahead and blame you anyway :twisted:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I still have a game Boy color somewhere... back at my parents house

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Starting to appreciate my Reface DX (that I bought two years ago) more, especially as a third track with the Circuit. Still a few things that baffle me though:

• Ratios. I understand certain ratios give you harmonics that are more musical (like ratios of octaves or perfect fifths), but I don't know how to predict if a particular ratio will be good for a specific sound I'm looking for. Like a 1.00:2.00 ratio is musical, but it doesn't sound all that more interesting than just a sine wave starting off. I can make it more interesting adjusting the envelopes/adding feedback/adding effects, but then I wonder if another ratio would have been better. I seem to recall seeing a list of most commonly used ratios, but can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone have a link to a list like this?
  • Modulators above other modulators. One modulator affecting one carrier is easy enough to understand, but I'm not sure in what cases it might be better to use an algorithm where say you have a chain of three modulators before one carrier.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to dig in with Dexed or something in my DAW where I can get more visual feedback on the waveforms.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

you can also just start off with 2-op patches and build from there. the old yamaha pss keyboards sounded great only using 2 operators

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone using or used an SQ-64 yet? It looks pretty well thought but wondered how it worked in practice.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or the Stupid Music poo poo thread, but I actually think this stuff is pretty cool, and interesting controllers are thread-adjacent so: Has anyone been following what Starr Labs are up to?

These are the guys who've made custom guitar-shaped controllers for acts like Pendulum and Destroid (Excision/Downlink/KJ Sawka's short-lived 'live band'). I didn't realize it but they're somewhat mass-producing their fretboard-style and other interesting devices. If I actually was ever arsed to learn to play a guitar, these look like they'd be very fun.

(That's Excision, obviously.)

(Rob Swire's custom joint. Eat your heart out, Mat Bellamy.)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

jasoneatspizza posted:

Starting to appreciate my Reface DX (that I bought two years ago) more, especially as a third track with the Circuit. Still a few things that baffle me though:

• Ratios. I understand certain ratios give you harmonics that are more musical (like ratios of octaves or perfect fifths), but I don't know how to predict if a particular ratio will be good for a specific sound I'm looking for. Like a 1.00:2.00 ratio is musical, but it doesn't sound all that more interesting than just a sine wave starting off. I can make it more interesting adjusting the envelopes/adding feedback/adding effects, but then I wonder if another ratio would have been better. I seem to recall seeing a list of most commonly used ratios, but can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone have a link to a list like this?
  • Modulators above other modulators. One modulator affecting one carrier is easy enough to understand, but I'm not sure in what cases it might be better to use an algorithm where say you have a chain of three modulators before one carrier.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to dig in with Dexed or something in my DAW where I can get more visual feedback on the waveforms.
https://youtu.be/1XbrTC0NndM
This guy is the fm understander.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Destroid (Excision/Downlink/KJ Sawka's short-lived 'live band').

:lol: They bought the name, Destroid, from Daniel Meyer of Haujobb because it was one of his side projects. It’s funny that their project ended up being short-lived. Meyer still releases “Destroid” material as “DSTR” or something like that.

Old Destroid:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wRgTcJ4qEzc

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Martytoof posted:

I actually just wanted one for nostalgia but I'm gonna go ahead and blame you anyway :twisted:

funny that. I just reflashed my program cart a few weeks ago. had to disable driver signing to get the flashing software to work. played around with it for a night or two, then started seriously thinking about getting an analog pocket so I could lsdj on a better screen

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Martytoof posted:

I was recently looking for an affordable memory cart for mine, this one, so I can run my copy of LSDJ on it. Everything seems to be out of stock, though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you want it bad enough, the gb usb smart cards are about $80 on ebay. good luck on getting the software working though

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I found a bunch of Wendy Carlos in the cheap classical section at a store one day and bought like six LPs for maybe $15, including the Clockwork Orange score. I need to hunt down a copy of Tron...

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

net work error posted:

Anyone using or used an SQ-64 yet? It looks pretty well thought but wondered how it worked in practice.

from another forum posted last March:

quote:

I have the SQ-64. It’s not good enough. It is nowhere the match of promise/deliver ratio of the SQ1, it hasn’t the immediacy of SQ1 though, granted, it’s much more complex. Jacks going horizontally out of the back make it unsuitable or at best problematic for tight spaces. The buttons are slow and not very tactile. It hasn’t got basic copy/paste. It has incomplete workflow wrt chords. Its live recording is clunky and has no quantise function. It’s prone to electrical interference. The 10V drum track gates on mine stopped working mysteriously (but 5V kept going). A firmware update is nowhere in sight.

tl;dr: It’s not ready to be part of “best standalone hardware sequencer” discussion.

Maybe it's gotten a firmware update since then?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Someone or someones (plural) here was/were considering the Dtronics DT-RDX for their reface DX at some point, and I just happened to notice that my friendly local neighborhood synth shop happens to have a used one available right now for $150, if anyone is still interested:

https://patchwerks.com/collections/used/products/used-d-tronics-dt-rdx

I have no affiliation with the store other than buying stuff from them and knowing some of the folks who own the store and work there as local synth friends. I also haven't checked with Reverb, etc. to see where this price is compared to other marketplaces, just happened to see it and thought I'd let folks here know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not no more it don’t, thank you <3

I’ve been hounding this for a long long time. Words can’t say how happy I am right now.

E: if for some reason it doesn’t gel with me, rest assured I’ll keep it in the family and offer it back to this thread before reverb or ebay or whatever.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 6, 2022

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Worked on getting things physically arranged better on my desk using crap I had laying around the house, it's not pretty or permanent but it's a start. Then I whipped up a quick 16 step song with the Circuit Tracks focusing mostly on the Volca Nubass sound, it's not very good but it was fun to make! I really like the Nubass.

https://soundcloud.com/coolnezzz/005-circuit-nubass-microfreak

Also discovered AISO4ALL so I can input to Ableton via the Model 12 and output to my 2i2 but it doesn't play nicely with the Scarlett ASIO driver. Boo.

I don't think I'm clicking with the Circuit Tracks very well, probably just need a lot more practice.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Chenghiz posted:

from another forum posted last March:

Maybe it's gotten a firmware update since then?

I saw that it got a firmware update in December but this is good info.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

minidracula posted:

Someone or someones (plural) here was/were considering the Dtronics DT-RDX for their reface DX at some point, and I just happened to notice that my friendly local neighborhood synth shop happens to have a used one available right now for $150, if anyone is still interested:

https://patchwerks.com/collections/used/products/used-d-tronics-dt-rdx
Oh man. FM hardware programmers are insane.

Cheers, Marty!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Seems like getting even ratios would be harder with knobs but I guess the touch controls are still available

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Any of you guys interested in any of this stuff?

Squarp:
- Hermod

Steady State Fate:
- 3HP 2x4 Mult
- Autodyne
- Zero Point Oscillator
- Ultra Random Analog

Joranalogue:
- Fold 6
- Morph 4

Xaoc:
- Katowice

- Pittsburgh Case - EP 360

- Pladask Electrisk - Feber

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Finally got my modification up and running, I love it. Stayed up all night making wild sounds.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 6, 2022