Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

droll posted:

Are there environmentally friendly methods to build more water storage capacity in the fewer good rain years near metro areas? I assume it's expensive and will take a long time, if possible. Let's start working on that now.

There's some advances in regards to soft-capping water reservoirs with shade balls, which can improve water safety and reduce evaporation by 80-90 percent (LA estimates it saves them 300 million gallons of water per year). The downside is that it basically drives off all the wildlife because they can't fight through a ballpit to drink.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/why-96-million-plastic-shade-balls-dumped-into-the-la-reservoir-may-not-save-water

https://youtu.be/uxPdPpi5W4o

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Psychomax posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that all these water saving mandates are for the sole purpose of... freeing up more water for the almond orchards and other water vampires...

They're for the purpose of looking like we're doing something about a rapidly growing water crisis. Of course to actually do something about it you'd need to curtail use everywhere, including use by ag, industial, and commercial business, but that would kick politicians right in the donation dollars so it's easiest to just tell people they need to spend less time in the shower or their water bill will shoot up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hence the ELF comment lol. im really only half sarcastic. what the hell else are we supposed to do, besides move out of state and hope there's no refugees in 20 years? this isn't a problem you can solve on the individual level, even if everyone in the state committed to sponge baths and replaced all their lawns with gravel and drained their pools. so far electing liberals hasn't worked.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Actually guys it rained 0.02" today, the drought's over, almonds and lawns for everyone!

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I'm getting a rock lawn soon

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

use your lawn to grow vegetables

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Who are you people with lawns?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

use your lawn to grow vegetables
or pomegranates, or almonds!...

Wait a second...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just gonna commit grand theft aqua and install a fuel pit except pretend like this business fell through and instead I just leave a garden hose in it and steal 10,000 gallons of water or something.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Just wait for the anti-mask crowd to start running their hose straight into the storm drain as a protest against a tyrannical government.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eSporks posted:

Just wait for the anti-mask crowd to start running their hose straight into the storm drain as a protest against a tyrannical government.

:negative:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eSporks posted:

lol. im kind of fascinated to see where the angry "counter" culture types go next tbh. it's pretty funny

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I leave my faucet running while I brush my teeth.

For freedom.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Double Covid Animal Style

In-N-Out blasts S.F. over vaccine mandate shutdown
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/In-N-Out-blasts-S-F-over-vaccine-mandate-16546650.php

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol are any stores or restaurants actually enforcing vaccine mandates. every place i've been in lately has a posted sign saying that a facemask and proof of vaccination are required and will be checked but nobody is actually checking

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, I do sympathize insofar that it's bullshit enforcement of masks and vaccination status ends up defaulting to already understaffed and overworked service workers. Like ffs you've already got to deal with the hell that is fast food customers and now you've also gotta remind them to pull up their masks and check their COVID cards, getting yelled at even more and potentially putting yourself in harm's way if the particular kind of chud who's looking for trouble shows up. Especially for somewhere like an In-n-Out, which is a stupid high volume of customers.

That said In-n-Out is also a stupidly profitable company and the answer is to hire a loving security guy to stand at the door and check vax cards before letting them in, not throwing a big hissy fit to the city as a PR stunt.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

lol are any stores or restaurants actually enforcing vaccine mandates. every place i've been in lately has a posted sign saying that a facemask and proof of vaccination are required and will be checked but nobody is actually checking

I've only gone to a few restaurants since the indoor dining vaccine mandate has been in effect and they have all been checking and enforcing.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Yes. I've been carded, it's great.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yes. I've been carded, it's great.

dang i'm jealous

just went to a peet's earlier today and the employees werent carding and didn't say anything to the guy in front of me dicknosing

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is showing a screenshot on your phone from the state vax page online (the one with the qr code) enough or are they requiring your physical vax card?

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
In weather related news, forecasts are getting more confident that an early-season series of storms will produce fire-season-ending rainfall over the coming week. We are talking 3-7" for NorCal and 1-2" for SoCal, with 1-2 feet of snow in the higher elevations:

https://twitter.com/NWSBayArea/status/1450582514485977094

https://twitter.com/RobMayeda/status/1450523968847286285

https://twitter.com/YubaNet/status/1450522834271232009

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is showing a screenshot on your phone from the state vax page online (the one with the qr code) enough or are they requiring your physical vax card?

Maybe? The list is pretty permissive:
https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/files/vaccine-verification-sites.asp

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I carry my card around in my wallet but my parents were out here a couple weeks ago and had no trouble getting in anywhere with a picture on their phone.

Yeah supposed to sporadically rain in San Jose pretty much all week, and right now they have us getting almost 3" on Sunday.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Screenshot has been enough everywhere I've been

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i updated my drivers license and the online record now has my name shown as "Xyzfirstname Xyzlastname" for some reason

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Vaccine checks are just an rear end in a top hat filter.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i updated my drivers license and the online record now has my name shown as "Xyzfirstname Xyzlastname" for some reason

Report it to the DMV. Their system is whack.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've updated my address about 6 times since I was 16 and it still has my mom's PO box from back then on it lol. They keep sending me new IDs with old info. Registration is fine, though.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Centrist Committee posted:

Vaccine checks are just an rear end in a top hat filter.

It's true, the events/places I've been to that haven't done them have been filled with assholes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

I have a friend who apparently shares the same name as someone else with the exact same birthday and that's how they "fixed" his record.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Probably depends on the state but I just wanted to say that the android version of the app to check vaccine records was broken over a weekend, about a week or so ago. It was broken on a Thursday and they didn't get back to it until Tuesday. So yeah, might as well carry the card.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thecommonsproject.smarthealthcardverifier

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat I normally don't trust weather forecasts all that much but we got a bunch of rain this morning. dumped like a half inch in an hour or two lol, everything's all flooded. looking forward to the main storm on Sunday now, maybe I'll get snow

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

drat I normally don't trust weather forecasts all that much but we got a bunch of rain this morning. dumped like a half inch in an hour or two lol, everything's all flooded. looking forward to the main storm on Sunday now, maybe I'll get snow

Take with a grain of salt. But this forecaster is typically more accurate at least for snow than anyone else I’ve seen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve French posted:

Take with a grain of salt. But this forecaster is typically more accurate at least for snow than anyone else I’ve seen.

I'm in the foothills so the high Sierra/summit forecast doesn't mean much but we'll see.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So I, uh, guess NorCal's fire season is done...

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Tayter Swift posted:

So I, uh, guess NorCal's fire season is done...

It'll turn out that PG&E is insulating its new lines with phosphorous or some other crazy nonsense to save $5 this year and we'll get burning water.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MickeyFinn posted:

It'll turn out that PG&E is insulating its new lines with phosphorous or some other crazy nonsense to save $5 this year and we'll get burning water.

This got a good laugh out of me. Thank you friend :)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Not much storm damage in downtown sac that I could find this morning. The river was a few feet higher, with tons of detritus, trees, and branches flowing downstream. Inside the city all I saw was some extra downed branches and leaves. I saw a picture of a tree that took out a street sign on H street, but that must have been an isolated incident. Not too bad for a record breaking amount of rain in one day, 5.44 inches is nuts. And the mountains got even more. Sacramento also opened up some warming shelters for the homeless to stay in last night, including city hall. Much better than letting people freeze to death without warming shelters like what happened in Jan.

A couple pics from along the river looking from downtown towards west Sacramento. Whole tree floating downstream:

The water level was somewhere between the 9 and 7 markers last week, so a couple extra feet of water.

How did other area fare after Sunday's storm?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

jetz0r posted:

How did other area fare after Sunday's storm?

Similar situation 90 minutes north in Butte County. Some big downed trees, a few flooded roads, and streams looking very full, but nothing too severe. Local reservoir is up 20ft. The dry soils were able to sponge up a lot of water, which spared us from serious flooding.

Of course now the ground is fully saturated and it’s only October, so any subsequent wet storms are going to be 100% runoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Tacier posted:

Of course now the ground is fully saturated and it’s only October, so any subsequent wet storms are going to be 100% runoff.

Would it help if more trees were planted or is this an unusual amount of rain? To me it seems it was a lot but not unusual for this time of year.