Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

i thought The Matrix or Shadowrun or Blade Runner would be our future

turns out it's an unholy combination of Judge Dredd and Mad Max

The cities will be like blade runner, everything else will be slums & de-industrialized wastelands and ghost towns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

coming up on what scientists call a big ol' whoopsie-doodle in the future

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
what happened to the ashes, ashes podcast?

did they burn out?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's kinda hilarious that A Canticle for Leibowitz was right about people but instead of being unable to stop nuking ourselves it's gonna be the next sentient species on the planet also burning all the oil and wrecking the planet in an infinite loop.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

err posted:

what happened to the ashes, ashes podcast?

did they burn out?

The last episode they released last year explained that they'd kind of run out of things to talk about and felt like it was gauche to harp on about the world falling apart while the world was actively falling apart. They had some vague plans to maybe come back but it sounded like they were pretty burned out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This popped up on r/futurology and I had a chuckle

https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/clean-energy/the-unstoppably-good-news-about-clean-energy

Good news is inevitable! We just have to let technology take its due process.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Cloks posted:

coming up on what scientists call a big ol' whoopsie-doodle in the future

The world made progress recently? :confused:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Lmao Putin and bolsonaro and jinping have all dropped from COP 26.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Basic Poster posted:

lmao

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
New fun chyron footer on Bloomberg...

"PANERA TO BE CLIMATE POSITIVE BY 2050" whatever the gently caress that means.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Basic Poster posted:

New fun chyron footer on Bloomberg...

"PANERA TO BE CLIMATE POSITIVE BY 2050" whatever the gently caress that means.

maybe it was supposed to say PANTERA TO BE CHLAMYDIA POSITIVE BY 2050

rip dimebag

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

good news and bad news:

The good news is thanks to high temperature superconducting tape (that can be cheaply cooled with LN2 rather than helium) being commercialized, fusion will reach electrical breakeven by the end of the decade in a form factor and size significantly more reasonable than ITER.

The bad news is every single loving watt of it will be diverted to mining crypto!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

if time is the X axis, it’s all progress all the time.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

good news and bad news:

The good news is thanks to high temperature superconducting tape (that can be cheaply cooled with LN2 rather than helium) being commercialized, fusion will reach electrical breakeven by the end of the decade in a form factor and size significantly more reasonable than ITER.

The bad news is every single loving watt of it will be diverted to mining crypto!

That's all good news, though. Just think of how much carbon would have burned if all that crypto was mined on conventional power. Isn't it so much better for the planet that clean fusion energy was used instead.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

C'mon now, at least some of it will be used to mine coal

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

That's all good news, though. Just think of how much carbon would have burned if all that crypto was mined on conventional power. Isn't it so much better for the planet that clean fusion energy was used instead.

Exactly, for an easier to understand comparison, imagine my plan was to poo poo on your face 3 times a day.

But instead thanks to the clean technology of diapers I will only poo poo on your face once a day. Since I was going to do it 3x that means I get credit for 2 prevented face making GBS threads. So I use one credit for making GBS threads on your face in the morning leaving me one credit to sell to someone else who wants to poo poo on your face.

Through this system we’ve incentivized me to only poo poo on your face once by the profit I make selling poo poo credits, and reduced the total number of times you get your face shat on by 33%.

Win-win! This is how some day in a few decades we might get the number of times your face gets poo poo on each day down to 0, if the profits are high enough for me of course.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

Exactly, for an easier to understand comparison, imagine my plan was to poo poo on your face 3 times a day.

But instead thanks to the clean technology of diapers I will only poo poo on your face once a day. Since I was going to do it 3x that means I get credit for 2 prevented face making GBS threads. So I use one credit for making GBS threads on your face in the morning leaving me one credit to sell to someone else who wants to poo poo on your face.

Through this system we’ve incentivized me to only poo poo on your face once by the profit I make selling poo poo credits, and reduced the total number of times you get your face shat on by 33%.

Win-win! This is how some day in a few decades we might get the number of times your face gets poo poo on each day down to 0, if the profits are high enough for me of course.

Wouldn't reducing the amount of times you poo poo on their face to zero just allow you to profit off of letting three other people poo poo on their face?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wouldn't reducing the amount of times you poo poo on their face to zero just allow you to profit off of letting three other people poo poo on their face?

Yeah but I need to poo poo on their face, which is why I was going to do it 3 times a day before the face making GBS threads cap and trade system

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah but I need to poo poo on their face, which is why I was going to do it 3 times a day before the face making GBS threads cap and trade system

So would you say that theoretically, reducing the number of times their face gets poo poo on to zero in a few decades might involve, for example, making GBS threads in a bucket, and then dumping that bucket on their face? Then you would no longer be making GBS threads on their face, but you'd still be achieving your goal.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So would you say that theoretically, reducing the number of times their face gets poo poo on to zero in a few decades might involve, for example, making GBS threads in a bucket, and then dumping that bucket on their face? Then you would no longer be making GBS threads on their face, but you'd still be achieving your goal.

Yes we're very excited about the potential technology of bucket, but we're going to have to see if the price of buckets falls below the price of face making GBS threads credits. We're also looking into other options like paying other people to put their poo poo back into their butt.

But we're excited to commit to a further 25% reduction in net face making GBS threads by 2050.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"We went to the moon in less than a decade, surely we can fix everything that's wrong with the planet in less than that because we have better computers and blockchain now!" :downs:

Why do people say decade instead of ten years? I’ve been wondering since yesterday. I guess it seems more impressive? Idk.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Why do people say decade instead of ten years? I’ve been wondering since yesterday. I guess it seems more impressive? Idk.

in the moon context, because when JFK made the promise to do it by the end of the decade it was already '61. they're just copying Kennedy for style points.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mawarannahr posted:

decade means ten years, why would you not

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

in the moon context, because when JFK made the promise to do it by the end of the decade it was already '61. they're just copying Kennedy for style points.

Thanks, I mean generally. It seems more like ten years than ten years itself. Ultimately I think I it’s an impulse to sound smarter/more impressive, like saying “to be sure,” :420:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

we choose to go to the moon in this decayed and do the other things

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

bowser posted:

Like, at a certain point the reassuring self delusion that we can all come together and do the right thing will have to give way to full crack ping, right? When we'll see more and more scientists openly declaring that the end is nigh and its too late to do anything about it.

no, nobody will remember last week, let alone that they were part of the problem at any point in their life at all even til they die and perhaps even beyond that.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwjXRD-oEA

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Justin Tyme posted:

good news and bad news:

Link please

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Basic Poster posted:

ah well I'm sure cop 27 will be the one

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mola Yam posted:

ah well I'm sure cop 27 will be the one

The one where the COP dies of choking on its own vomit, maybe

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Enfys posted:

Lol no

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Let's not be hasty. With currently theorized poo poo cleaning technology we could instead get to net zero face making GBS threads, which would allow not only continued face making GBS threads but for that poo poo to be placed into toilets within a business year. Indeed, with wide enough implementation we could also get the crusty poo poo buildup remaining on faces into toilets as well over as little as a century while never ceasing face making GBS threads at all.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Source4Leko posted:

Link please

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_barium_copper_oxide is the material, only recently commercially available as tape

they're using it in that new prototype tokamak from MIT
https://news.mit.edu/2021/MIT-CFS-major-advance-toward-fusion-energy-0908

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mayor Dave posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_barium_copper_oxide is the material, only recently commercially available as tape

Interesting. Hope it works I doubt it will.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
You complain about making GBS threads on faces yet you live in a society where faces are poo poo on?

Curious.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

This is pretty much the only thing keeping me hopeful, it seems real this time and the fact they're talking in terms of engineering Q and not plasma Q + actually demonstrated their monster-rear end magnets makes it not a bullshit grift like every other company headed by a business major with a toy fusor. I will lmao like a madman if they beat ITER because they took so long to build it that new technology significantly reduced the complexity needed.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Be excited but also understand there are trillions of integration/ interaction concerns that they think they understand but don't. A 20 tesla magnet on a test stand is really cool. It as part of an actual built working machine is something else.

Edit: I'm going to have to go hunting for their papers tomorrow on my work connection seems interesting and none of these articles I can find before I make dinner are going into depth on what I want to actually read about. Will report back.

Source4Leko has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Oct 25, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
lmao

https://twitter.com/yayitsrob/status/1452729809122041866

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

We're gonna take this whole party onto the fury road, ride until we die historic.