Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pixel 5 is good unless you plan on using the ear speaker then it's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

re: Pixel Pass: It's also a little wasteful to upgrade your phone just because the company says it's time, yeah? My Pixel 3 is over two years old and still doing great.

Yeah my Pixel 3 XL is still doing perfect. Unfortunately, the 3 and 3XL are going to be out of update coverage range starting next month. So there won't be any more version, or more importantly, security updates for them. I'm waiting to see if there are going to be any good black friday deals or anything, but failing that at least the 6 is relatively cheap and pretty much a straight upgrade.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zeron posted:

Yeah my Pixel 3 XL is still doing perfect. Unfortunately, the 3 and 3XL are going to be out of update coverage range starting next month.

Yeah, it's this. Forced obsolescence.

There is nothing I use a phone for that requires anything a pixel 3 can't do. But no security updates means it's as useful as a brick.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

LRADIKAL posted:

I was kind of waiting for the pixel 5 to go down in price, but I heard it's bad?
I like it so much I'm gonna wait for a major sale on the pixel 6

FogHelmut posted:

Pixel 5 is good unless you plan on using the ear speaker then it's really bad.
The speakers do suck compared to the pixel 3, but the battery lasts like 3x as long, I've gotten ~10hr screen on time on one charge.

5g is seemingly straight up worse than 4g LTE where I live so don't switch just for that either.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zeron posted:

Yeah my Pixel 3 XL is still doing perfect. Unfortunately, the 3 and 3XL are going to be out of update coverage range starting next month. So there won't be any more version, or more importantly, security updates for them.

Well, gently caress. My XL is still chugging along, it's slowing down just barely when I'm typing but I figured a quick factory reset would solve that. But if there's no security updates... :suicide: I'm literally going to finish paying it off in 6 days when my autopay hits too, are you loving kidding me!

Guess I'm jumping in the "waiting for a sweet Pixel sale soon" boat, too. :mad:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Johnny Truant posted:

Well, gently caress. My XL is still chugging along, it's slowing down just barely when I'm typing but I figured a quick factory reset would solve that. But if there's no security updates... :suicide: I'm literally going to finish paying it off in 6 days when my autopay hits too, are you loving kidding me!

Guess I'm jumping in the "waiting for a sweet Pixel sale soon" boat, too. :mad:

buying the protection plan with a new pixel phone is a must, if your phone starts to die because of age you can just get a replacement for ~ 100 + the 7 dollar monthly charge

i have a pixel 3XL that i "bought" in 2019 and i have no desire to not just replace it with another pixel 3XL as long as Google will let me

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm on a 3XL as well that I just paid off, and other than the giant scratch I immediately put on the display the week i got it, it's great. Battery is getting a little tired. Also, most pixels are only 1080p? Weird. Not going to buy a 5 until it's cheaper than 450$

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I was happy to upgrade from my 3 and my wife's 3a to a pair of 6 pros just for the cameras alone, as we aren't really able to carry our mirrorless cameras around while also managing a toddler, and our battery life was getting a *bit* weak.

What feature might make my want to willingly upgrade in 2-3 years is really unknown, I doubt there will be one, and losing security update support would be the only thing that would force me to upgrade.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I'm going to try to get this deal for $200 rebate for switching to Fi: https://fi.google.com/about/promo-terms/?p=2021-october-pixel-6-series

I'm trying to port 2 phone numbers from Verizon over to this (my wife and I), purchase 2 phones, and try to get 2 of those rebates if possible along with 2 sets of buds. It's unclear to me what the order of operations is, and if I can do all of this through one purchase through my Google account. I think what I need to do is:

1. Buy the phones and the Fi plan for 2 lines
2. Get the code(s) for the buds, buy those separately
3. Once the phones get here, activate the Fi plan and port the phone numbers
4. Get the Fi bill credit as long as I did this within 30 days?

I think part of the confusion is if I'm trying to buy 2 phones at once, if that messes things up or if my wife should buy one through her Google account and join my plan. We're in a Google family thing already if that matters.

I might just need to try going through the process once we decide between the 6/6Pro, but I'm hoping someone might know details.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm kind of sticking with Fi because of good deals on phones at this point. The $50 Moto G Power I got for my wife is such a value!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm kind of sticking with Fi because of good deals on phones at this point. The $50 Moto G Power I got for my wife is such a value!

I still regret not buying that phone as a back up phone as it was almost free

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

i am the luckiest shitheap in fyad.

Celexi posted:

Battery life is excellent. 3 days before i have to recharge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well, poo poo. I thought the EOL for pixel 3 support was NEXT October. I guess I need a new phone pronto.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's a shame that there's additional phone e-waste due to software support of all things, but at least they're committing to 5 years of security updates with the Pixel 6 (although support and software updates will remain three years). I feel like the number of folks who aren't ready to replace a phone after three years may be significantly higher after five due to hardware wearing out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've pretty much accepted this is the way phones are. You're basically subscribing to a phone and paying it off over two years. If you get a good top of the line model, then yeah you could make it 3-5 years.

I've used to do sub $200 phones for like the last ten years but I decided to finally get a pixel 6 and I'm keeping that 3 years minimum.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'm pretty sure YouTube Music is part of YouTube Premium. I have it and it's just one thing.

Although I got in on like the beta program or whatever it was when it was invite only for Google Play Music, which then got folded into YouTube Red, which became Premium, and then gpm got killed and turned into YouTube Music. As a result of that start I'm grandfathered in at $8/mo and don't have ads in my YouTube videos.

Is it worth full price? Probably, yeah, if you're cool with YouTube Music and hate ads it's pretty great. I guess there's premium YouTube content too but I haven't really touched that much.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Celexi posted:

I was interested for $50, assuming it would be a cash deal, then when I saw they would just finance it normally over 24 months with 0 interest I mashed the "buy" button while laughing maniacally. The $2.xx a month is less than the random variance in my data usage, and is in that sense functionally free

I've had issues with the phone itself commensurate with known flawed inventory being flushed for $50 a pop, and have just dealt with it because that was the deal I was expecting for those numbers. However, the battery life is utterly stupid and I would pay $50 more on every phone forever to get that kind of life included if I could

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Well, poo poo. I thought the EOL for pixel 3 support was NEXT October. I guess I need a new phone pronto.

I wasn't even posting attention, just assumed security support for my 3XL was going to continue for awhile.

I guess I'm either buying a 6 Pro or an iPhone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The dates are guaranteed support, there's nothing saying they can't or won't update it past that date. I know my OG Pixel had a couple of updates past that date.

Not looking forward to retiring my 3a in the coming year, because it really doesn't have anywhere near the problems my OG (or Nexus before it) had towards the end of it's life.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think what usually happens is that Google will push out updates for big time security problems or OS wide stuff. I don't think we need to just drop the phones immediately just because guaranteed updates are ending.

Edit: beaten!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Pixel 6 is good you guys

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, our new Pros are really great and knock on wood this thing lasts me a long time

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm enjoying my 6 and it's gonna be the first phone I keep for 3+ years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrownieVK posted:

Pixel 6 is good you guys

Good. Mine comes in tomorrow.

I hate changing phones, so I'm expecting a frustrating few days of "oh, and now I need to log into THIS app that i forgot about".

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I guess I need to look into replacing my Pixel 3 before too long, just like everyone else. The Pixel 6 sounds good, but to me the 3 was always a bit too large, so it seems like the 6 is simply out of the question...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Got my Pixel 6 yesterday. Tried to buy a6 PRO on the day of the release, but couldn't nab a 256 MB version, and ultimately decided I wanted 256 MB of storage more than 1 wanted a larger phone.

Are there any glass screen protectors that work with the fingerprint reader? The one I ordered (ivoler [6 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 6) wouldn't recognize any of my fingerprints, even the ones I added with the glass screen protector on.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

maltesh posted:

Got my Pixel 6 yesterday. Tried to buy a6 PRO on the day of the release, but couldn't nab a 256 MB version, and ultimately decided I wanted 256 MB of storage more than 1 wanted a larger phone.

Are there any glass screen protectors that work with the fingerprint reader? The one I ordered (ivoler [6 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 6) wouldn't recognize any of my fingerprints, even the ones I added with the glass screen protector on.

LK 2 Pack Screen Protector Compatible for Google Pixel 6 5G with 2 Pack Camera Lens Protector [Not fit for Google Pixel 6 Pro] Easy Install Tray, HD Clear 9H Hardness temepred galss for Pixel 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CMN5J8X/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_T56PJ44884PH295PZVBQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what I used.

It works but you do have to hold your finger for a whole second which I think helps.

I'm used to a fingerprint device that's in the back of the device and that responded quicker.

I'm thinking if it responds better without a screen protector, after I get my case I may have to take off the screen protector. The screen is gorilla glass anyway isn't it?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Wanted to wait for a Pro but looks like it won't be available until January from Google. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Initial report on the 6: Yes, this is very good.

It's much larger than the 3, but not too big....I guess. The fingerprint reader in the screen is better than expected. Not as good at the rear reader on the 3, but I can work with this. When it's in a mount in the car it's quite convenient.

It's really fast and the camera is pretty great.

Otherwise, it's just another pixel. It just works. It's what I'm used to, whatever.

With the size of this thing the 6 Pro must be the size of a mini tablet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Going in completely the opposite direction size-wise...has anyone here spent much time around a Galaxy Z Flip 3? Fi is offering a deal on the Flip 3 5G that would work out to over five months of free service; my parents are well out of contract with Verizon, so I'm trying to get them to come to Fi (they'd pay half what they do now) with one of them taking my S9 (they have S5s, and the very newest models would be overkill) while I upgrade.

e: Non-Fi related, but upgrading to a new phone is still just a matter of moving your current SIM into a new phone, right? :corsair: I could upgrade my husband's S8 to my S9, but the S8 was provided by his company back when the model was brand new; someone over there is still footing the bill for it, but no one knows who or what department or any goddamn thing. A stealth upgrade would be nice, if we could pull it off.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 1, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Motronic posted:

With the size of this thing the 6 Pro must be the size of a mini tablet.

The 6 Pro is only barely any bigger. They really just didn't make a small one this time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GEMorris posted:

The 6 Pro is only barely any bigger. They really just didn't make a small one this time.

Huh, I just found a picture of them side by side. What a strange product line choice.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

This poo poo is unreal.

I bought a Pixel 5a in september.

It was corrupted from the OTA android 12 update on 11/2

I was told I would be over nighted a replacement.

Its now 7 days later.... here is my chat log with support. I've been using google fi since it came out in 2015 and this is the first time they have hosed me over. I still don't have a phone because I shipped back my Pixel 3 for credit.

quote:

Google Support

You’re connected with agent Sneha.
8:05 PM
S
Welcome to Google Support. My name is Sneha. How are you today?
Sneha · 8:05 PM
Hi Sneha, im doing fine
except that my issue hasn't been resolved and its been 7 days.
8:05 PM
S
Glad to hear that!
In case you need to refer to this chat interaction in the future, please take a note of the following case ID: 5-9227000031440
Ian, I'll check and help you with the device delivery issue.
Please allow me 3-5 minutes while I check the details for you.
Sneha · 8:06 PM
sure thank you
ID 9-XXXXXXXXXXXX
RMA#XXXXXXXXXXX
Order # GS.XXXXXXXXXXX

So its a day after the phone should have arrived at the latest, and it still hasn't shipped yet. It has been 7 days. What is going on?

on 11/2 I was told that they would overnight me a replacement. It never shipped. Then I was told last week that I just needed to wait, there was a supply issue.
Yesterday I was told I needed to wait until today to report it so they could escalate because the shipment info was bugged and wasn't updating properly.

Well the phone still isn't here, i still don't have a shipping number, and I still have not heard when I will be getting my replacement phone, that again, was broken by google with the android 12 OTA upgrade that was automatically installed on my phone.
take your time just getting all the info into the chat... ill be glad to supply ID numbers for the other contacts as well if you want
8:08 PM
S
Thanks for the wait.
Please allow me another 3-5 minutes.
Sneha · 8:11 PM
alright
i will be back in 3 minutes or less
8:12 PM
S
Okay.
Sneha · 8:12 PM
okay im here
8:14 PM
S
Thanks for the wait.
Sneha · 8:19 PM
yeah no problem
8:20 PM
S
Ian, upon checking your account details, I see that your estimated delivery time is till today.
Sneha · 8:22 PM
i included a screenshot of my estimated delivery date
it was yesterday at the latest, and it still shows that it was not even shipped yet
i contacted support yesterday and they told me to contact you again today
8:23 PM
S
I'd request you to kindly wait till today and contact us tomorrow.
Sneha · 8:23 PM
you have to be kidding me
do you have a shipping number for me?
what makes you think its going to arrive today when its 8:24 pm and the email said 11/8 at the latest
and i never received a shipping number
you just told me what I was told yesterday
if you think it might arrive today i request that you send me the shipping number
so I can view where it is currently
order_status.png (copy of my shipping email that showed the last date to arrive was 11/8, as per the person i talked to yesterda)
8:28 PM
S
Thanks for the confirmation.
Sneha · 8:28 PM
So how can it be arriving today?
with no shipping number
8:29 PM
S
I've checked with my resources and I see that the estimated delivery date is showing till today EOD. Hence I request you to kindly wait till today. If in case you do not receive any updates by tomorrow, then you can contact us immediately and we will escalate the case further.
You can keep this case ID5-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for the future reference.
Sneha · 8:30 PM
that is exactly what i was told yesterday
do you not have a shipping number?
you must have one if your status shows that it might arrive today
so please supply me with this shipping number that I don't think you actually have
if it was shipped why was i never emailed as per the order email?
none of this makes any sense
8:33 PM
S
I completely understand your concern.Your package will arrive by the estimated delivery date.
Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Sneha · 8:35 PM
so tell me the shipping number
it has already gone past the estimated date
are you saying you don't have a shipping number but somehow think its going to arrive tonight?
8:36 PM
S
The estimated delivery date has not been passed. I'd request you to kindly wait till end of the day.
Sneha · 8:36 PM
that is literally not true though
they told me the EXACT same thing yesterday
i attached an image
you saw it
8:37 PM
S
As per our update the estimated delivery date shows till the end of the day.
Sneha · 8:37 PM
so just tell me you don't have a shipping number and ill contact you again tomorrow
8:37 PM
S
I got your point. However, I'd request you to kindly wait till today EOD and contact us tomorrow.
Sneha · 8:38 PM
okay so wheres the shipping number.. if it was sent you have to have one right
8:38 PM
S
I've already helped you with the resolution, I'd need to end this chat in order to help other waiting customers.
Thanks for contacting Google Fi!

Sneha · 8:38 PM
was it magically shipped to me
8:39 PM
Sneha left the chat.
S
Thanks for contacting Google Fi chat support. Your chat session is now complete.
Sneha · 8:39 PM
The session has ended.
Message sent

This is my work phone. I need it for a VPN token so I can work from home. I have had to drive an hour each way into the office for the last week because I can't loving login remotely because I don't have a phone. I made this apparent to them as well and they just don't seem to care.

I guess I will call tomorrow during the day and hope that I get someone who isn't loving useless.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Good luck tomorrow!

Really hosed they wouldn’t even give you a tracking number.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wendigee posted:

This is my work phone. I need it for a VPN token so I can work from home.

https://authy.com/

This doesn't help you right now, but really......just use something like this for work 2FA if they allow it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Authy probably won't help if they need to import a mobile token for a specific app.

Bad timing with all the support backlog probably from the 6 launch and the clusterfuck that is Google shipping through FedEx, which is having extreme issues right now.

Honestly I'd go back to the Fi support page and immediately open a new ticket, but this time select the call me option and actually get someone on the phone. I had a 6 Pro preorder get delayed and then finally got to my city before remaining as pending for over a week - basically FedEx lost or more likely stole it.

They called me within 5 minutes yesterday evening, issue sorted after maybe 20 by patiently explaining/confirming with the rep, and I got an RMA email with tracking # today that has already started moving for them overnighting me a replacement.

(through FedEx again though, god help me)

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Honestly doesn't surprise me from my experience with FI support, if it's something very simple, they can do it easily. Anything that is more than 1+1=2, good loving luck if it gets fixed in days, weeks, or ever.

Makes me appreciate our corp/gov Verizon accounts that poo poo gets fixed in minutes for 99.99% of anything, and if it's in the .001%, tomorrow.

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006

Wendigee posted:

This is my work phone. I need it for a VPN token so I can work from home.

Assuming your vpn token is one of the various MFA apps on the play store, can you run what you need on an emulator? The one in Android Studio has worked pretty well for me in the past - https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator

MajesticTrout fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 10, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They've achieved a new level of incompetence for me this week. Their system claims there is a disputed charge on my account, due to which it refuses to take my one debit card, and that the only fix is to call my bank and drop it. Except I didn't file a chargeback over my normal frigging cell bill, there is no dispute to drop, and the bank has no idea what the gently caress they're talking about, either - no dispute filed and the charge they claim I am fighting went completely through from this end. The net result is multiple emails a day threatening to cancel my service over an unpaid charge that they are themselves refusing to accept payment for

which, if they do, I'm just cancelling and moving on, since I've been barely lazy enough not to do so up until now through sheer inertia. This is a comically stupid way to lose a 5 year customer, holy poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I've got a Pixel 3a just sitting here that I could loan out if you really need something asap.