Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The Vortas are people persons. They take the orders from the Founders to the Jem'Hadar and the other lesser races. They're people persons. They're good with people!

Unironically this. I always got the sense that, just like the Jem'Hadar were purpose built killing machines, the Vorta were purpose built talking machines. I don't get the sense that the Founders gave them their own culture, just loyalty and people skills and probably a lot of schooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Who is worse between the Dominion and the Borg? They both don't understand or respect the existence of the "normal" way of life for most of the races of Star Trek, but one is more purposefully engineering genocide, while the other nominally will keep some aspect of its victims alive but is a lot more efficient at eliminating opposition.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

multijoe posted:

Killing the Borg is a galactic level trolley problem though, by killing them you're preventing an untold number of future genocides. If I were Picard I'd have pushed the button

you'd also be preventing an untold number of people ascending to a higher form of existence. honestly i think selfishism is probably something that wouldnt exist in trek if it were made by people who lived in trek. just seems like they'd appreciate the benefit of collectivism more than we can given how insanely selfish our economy and society is structured and petty individuality glorified.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BonHair posted:

Unironically this. I always got the sense that, just like the Jem'Hadar were purpose built killing machines, the Vorta were purpose built talking machines. I don't get the sense that the Founders gave them their own culture, just loyalty and people skills and probably a lot of schooling.

how did the founders go about making other races anyway? they get real good at advanced biotech at some point or.... are they just shapeshifting genetic material in a very specific way to give rise to new beings after some shapeshifter shag down?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen these named as Star Trek VII and VIII before (I'm sure they have, it's just the first I've ever encountered)

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Khanstant posted:

how did the founders go about making other races anyway? they get real good at advanced biotech at some point or.... are they just shapeshifting genetic material in a very specific way to give rise to new beings after some shapeshifter shag down?

The Vorta were uplifted from some kind of lemur like creature - whether the story about those creatures protecting a founder and being rewarded is true or not, I figure we can at least accept that the creatures existed. There was probably some other kind of creature that got uplifted to make the Jem'Hadar rather than them being made out of whole cloth.

'Good with biology' just seems to be one of the Dominion's 'hats'. Even before the Jem'Hadar and Vorta appeared there was that planet afflicted by the engineered plague that Bashir had to deal with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen these named as Star Trek VII and VIII before (I'm sure they have, it's just the first I've ever encountered)

I wonder if they ever make a disco/picard/snw/ld movie will they call it a numbered Trek to differentiate it from the JJtrekverse?

Shyrka posted:

The Vorta were uplifted from some kind of lemur like creature - whether the story about those creatures protecting a founder and being rewarded is true or not, I figure we can at least accept that the creatures existed. There was probably some other kind of creature that got uplifted to make the Jem'Hadar rather than them being made out of whole cloth.

'Good with biology' just seems to be one of the Dominion's 'hats'. Even before the Jem'Hadar and Vorta appeared there was that planet afflicted by the engineered plague that Bashir had to deal with.

I gotcha. It's hard to comprehend their tech level since you barely see it or them interact with it, mostly just think of them as wet perverts who live in a public toilet pool together.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ah I see I clicked on the DISCO trek thread, a bunch of people wondering if Genocide is ok this one time

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

HopperUK posted:

Destroying the Founders would be a bad move (says the Vorta fan, but). You wipe them out, you're effectively destroying the Vorta and the Jem'Hadar too and then chaos reigns in a huge chunk of the galaxy that hasn't known anything else for thousands of years. I mean they *really* suck, but that's some loving around that will lead to some serious finding out.
That's normal. That's what we call a "revolution".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Who is worse between the Dominion and the Borg? They both don't understand or respect the existence of the "normal" way of life for most of the races of Star Trek, but one is more purposefully engineering genocide, while the other nominally will keep some aspect of its victims alive but is a lot more efficient at eliminating opposition.

Borg's worse, easily. It's possible to negotiate with the Dominion, they're not just a thing running on automatic. The promise of the end of DS9 is Odo will be able to reform the Founders and create a better Dominion that people can live with peaceably. There's never any indication the Borg could change or wants to. Individual drones sure, but the collective as a whole?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Not sure but thinking maybe the Klingons are ok to genocide. They've been a violent threat to the greater peace of the galaxy for centuries. Hard to count the number of worlds they've marauded and pillaged and intimidated.

Not sure but thinking maybe the Andorians are ok to genocide. They've been a threat to the sector's greater peace for decades. The threat they pose to the Vulcans alone should give weight to this discussion.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's funny how 90s Trek has all the answers to the questions that post 9/11 Trek thinks is hard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Borg's worse, easily. It's possible to negotiate with the Dominion, they're not just a thing running on automatic. The promise of the end of DS9 is Odo will be able to reform the Founders and create a better Dominion that people can live with peaceably. There's never any indication the Borg could change or wants to. Individual drones sure, but the collective as a whole?

why would the borg want to change? what's the appeal of feeling lonely with a weak limited mind and consciousness where you might end up with a life of endless empty toil with a bunch of selfish alien weirdoes who can barely communicate with one another, let alone cooperate as a collective. the sole issue with the borg is one of consent and it wouldn't take a genius to think "maybe asking first" could be a more viable long-term strategy.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Not sure but thinking maybe the Klingons are ok to genocide. They've been a violent threat to the greater peace of the galaxy for centuries. Hard to count the number of worlds they've marauded and pillaged and intimidated.

Not sure but thinking maybe the Andorians are ok to genocide. They've been a threat to the sector's greater peace for decades. The threat they pose to the Vulcans alone should give weight to this discussion.

Why are we talking about genociding Andorians and not Vulcans? Everyone knows who the greater threat to interstellar peace is. There's no way you can imagine a bunch of Andorians convinced to wipe out some other races because of logical necessity and the needs of the many. Now tell me you can't see those pointy-eared hobgoblins exterminating the Romulans to ensure peace in the galaxy. Who's the real threat to other cultures?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shyrka posted:

"Uplifted" could mean anything from engineering their sentience from a common animal to the Vorta being their own independent warp-capable civilization and the "uplift" being their conquest and domination by the Dominion, and then they'd only need a little engineering to get brought into the whole system of re-cloning for maximum usage.

The Jem'Hadar though, definitely have more engineering in them, because their whole life cycle seems pretty unnatural even without the chemical dependence.

I'm not sure what the rest of the Dominion is like and how much engineering they have or how much autonomy they have beneath the iron-fisted occasionally genocidal rule of the Founders. There were those trading guys, but do the Founders need them for their logistics or are they just independently trading between Dominion subjects?

Maybe the Founders themselves have done some kind of engineering on themselves to develop perfect shapeshifting and the ability to fuse into a puddle of collective thoughts, that seems like something that would really be the jam of some other Star Trek civilizations trying to perfect themselves. And it kinda makes more sense for all the supposed distrust of the Founders outside of the Dominion to come after the development of a creepy empire rather than before.

I dunno if the Franchise has any interest in looking at the other side of that wormhole again though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Dominion, especially early on, struck me as a Roman Empire kind of deal. All the individual worlds paying tribute to the Founders via the Vorta, and the Jem'Hadar making sure they stay in line, but otherwise they can do their own thing.

I'm also into the idea that the Founders are super good at genetic engineering on their own. They had some pretty advanced tech on their home planet when the crew was captured there. And also the Vorta story specifically mentions that they were not a culture, just animals. If we can trust the story of course.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

Why are we talking about genociding Andorians and not Vulcans? Everyone knows who the greater threat to interstellar peace is. There's no way you can imagine a bunch of Andorians convinced to wipe out some other races because of logical necessity and the needs of the many. Now tell me you can't see those pointy-eared hobgoblins exterminating the Romulans to ensure peace in the galaxy. Who's the real threat to other cultures?

*sighs loudly so you know it's a tough choice for me, the protagonist* I think we may just have to genocide both,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

*sighs loudly so you know it's a tough choice for me, the protagonist* I think we may just have to genocide both,

Do you think I LIKE making these choices? That I ENJOY knowing what we decide here today will lead to billions of deaths? No. I don't. But through a series of tortured contrivances, that is the only option the writers want to present as valid.

*scoffs*

So come back when you have the guts to do more than talk about how things should be.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Picard has killed the space ravioli and is now trying to save the filling.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BonHair posted:

Yeah, they don't seem to have actual culture, but it kinda feels like it was something taken away, rather than something they never had. Weyoun is wistful about art and music in a way that kind of implies to me it's something the Founders sliced out of them as unimportant.

Apparently there was a scene written but not shot where after the occupation of DS9, the Starfleet people come back and Weyoun's been living in Bashir's quarters, and he's collected all kinds of random objects from all over the station and put them on like, shelves and stuff, just to look at and presumably try to understand them. I probably mentioned it here before because it's really moving to me. The Vorta are not very pleasant and completely amoral but they got done dirty.

e: also I wanna see a Vorta in Starfleet in the future. Assuming a little while of peace with the Dominion I don't see why not, it's no weirder than anyone else's bizarro religion.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Jfc Geordi straight up gaslights this woman what the flying gently caress

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brawnfire posted:

Do you think I LIKE making these choices? That I ENJOY knowing what we decide here today will lead to billions of deaths? No. I don't. But through a series of tortured contrivances, that is the only option the writers want to present as valid.

*scoffs*

So come back when you have the guts to do more than talk about how things should be.

2/10, need to be sobbing uncontrollably while genociding as a modern Trek protagonist so we know it's really tearing you apart

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, they don't seem to have actual culture, but it kinda feels like it was something taken away, rather than something they never had. Weyoun is wistful about art and music in a way that kind of implies to me it's something the Founders sliced out of them as unimportant.

Apparently there was a scene written but not shot where after the occupation of DS9, the Starfleet people come back and Weyoun's been living in Bashir's quarters, and he's collected all kinds of random objects from all over the station and put them on like, shelves and stuff, just to look at and presumably try to understand them. I probably mentioned it here before because it's really moving to me. The Vorta are not very pleasant and completely amoral but they got done dirty.

e: also I wanna see a Vorta in Starfleet in the future. Assuming a little while of peace with the Dominion I don't see why not, it's no weirder than anyone else's bizarro religion.

That's true, we never really get to see the Vorta on their own. We get a lot more of the Jem'Hadar, seeing what they can be like outside the Dominion's control, plus insight on them as people even within it. I think the way they interact with the main cast on the couple occasions they aren't fighting clearly shows they have a distinct culture and ethics. The Vorta come across more as mindless machines of the Founders IMO. I don't think that was intentional, it's just the only time we got to see a Vorta out of context was the defector Weyoun and that just didn't give us as much insight.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Plus there's actual characters walking around being like "yeah we live in the Dominion. As long as you listen to the Vorta, it isn't so bad." Guy runs a nice wine business with the freedom to deal with outside agents. His entire relationship with the Dominion is filing his taxes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

The Vorta have no ability to comprehend aesthetics so it seems the Founders not only didn't give them culture, they made them unable to have any. Or at least extremely difficult with a major part like that excised

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Was Sisko right or wrong to fake that holotape?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, like in any other case Star Trek's liberal humanism makes sense and even the Founders, kind of asking for it as they were, didn't deserve to be annihilated. The Borg in-text are just an expectional case where for the sake of life everywhere, if you get a shot you should take it, no other situation in the show ever presents such an existiental threat to absolutely everyone and everything (well, except species 8472 I guess, but conidering how that plotline ended lets forget about that lol)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

punishedkissinger posted:

Was Sisko right or wrong to fake that holotape?

Personally I think he was in the wrong, and I really would've liked to see him turn himself in for it after the war. It's one thing to make the morally incorrect call, knowing it's wrong but it's the only choice, but when he suffers no consequences for making it kind of rings hollow.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

multijoe posted:

Yeah, like in any other case Star Trek's liberal humanism makes sense and even the Founders, kind of asking for it as they were, didn't deserve to be annihilated. The Borg in-text are just an expectional case where for the sake of life everywhere, if you get a shot you should take it, no other situation in the show ever presents such an existiental threat to absolutely everyone and everything (well, except species 8472 I guess, but conidering how that plotline ended lets forget about that lol)

The way they ejected so quickly on 8472 is one of the more baffling things from Voyager

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Angry_Ed posted:

The Vorta have no ability to comprehend aesthetics so it seems the Founders not only didn't give them culture, they made them unable to have any. Or at least extremely difficult with a major part like that excised

Yeah it feels like a deliberate swipe, they've been just really viciously pared down to be what the Founders need and absolutely no more.

That said, the way Weyoun talks, it sounds like he knows a good sentence from a bad one beyond functionality, so maybe they were left with some little vestiges of aesthetic sense. But I guess you don't want your all-purpose ambassador race to be all 'I tried negotiating with That One Species but they're *hideous* and I hate their carpets'. Better to just slice that out of them altogether

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Could be just not being visual people. I don't think we see him having the opportunity to deal with music. He enjoyed Dabo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1WIAZFYyfw

Weyoun is also specifically a diplomat, so he's trained to be kinda generically positive and friendly about everything without necessarily offering any real criticism. There were a couple military commanders that showed up onscreen, and some scientists were referenced, but never showed up. It's possible that the Vorta have their own little cultures when they're not on duty for the founders, but it's also possible that they might have shallow existences and may have gone through enough genetic engineering and cloning that they can't exist without more cloning.

I guess DS9's overarching narrative kinda comes at the expense of being able to introspectively examine the alien cultures involved in its narrative. There's no telling what life inside the Dominion is really like and the Breen remain mysterious and enigmatic.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

SlothfulCobra posted:

Could be just not being visual people. I don't think we see him having the opportunity to deal with music. He enjoyed Dabo though.

When he's talking with Kira about Tora Ziyal's drawings, he mentions that he does have some envy of people who can "carry a tune", so I think the lack of aesthetics extends to music too

It seems the most likely that the Vorta are purpose-created and bred to be the middle managers for the Founders, and they had any affinity for fellow Vorta or the ability to bond with each other over culture or food or shared interests specifically bred out of them to ensure that they'd feel lost without guidance and have nothing competing for the Founders' attention

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FlamingLiberal posted:

In fairness to Geordi, it's the computer's fault that Holo Brahms came onto him

Which fits with the computer regularly creating sentient holograms

I felt really sorry for Geordi in that instance it isn't his fault AIs find him sexy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HELLO Geordi, you are QUITE GOOD at TURNING me ON

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

J33uk posted:

The way they ejected so quickly on 8472 is one of the more baffling things from Voyager
Yeah....I just passed the last episode where 8472 shows up and it makes it seem like they might show up again after that, but nope

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah....I just passed the last episode where 8472 shows up and it makes it seem like they might show up again after that, but nope

There is something mildly amusing though about their plot arc being wrapped up and the lingering threat they pose evaporating because Chakotay infiltrates an 8492 swingers party and sleeps with one of them, so they then decide not to invade the Alpha Quadrant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

There is something mildly amusing though about their plot arc being wrapped up and the lingering threat they pose evaporating because Chakotay infiltrates an 8492 swingers party and sleeps with one of them, so they then decide not to invade the Alpha Quadrant.
He doesn't even have sex....it's just a couple of kisses, which is even funnier

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eimi posted:

The best solution is the Night Crew solution. Get one Borg to party all Borg will have to party. Just beam over only your most sloshed crew members.

Totally agree. By far my favorite take.

I wonder if Night Crew's Kobayashi Maru is a no-score scenario...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Well they had to move on to bigger and better adversaries- the Hirogen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Well they had to move on to bigger and better adversaries- the Hirogen

The Hirogen were a cool concept, just undercooked like all things Voyager. I wish they kept to the premise they started with in Hunters where the Hirogen looked like they were all 8 foot tall monsters who could just pick you up and toss your rear end clear across a room. And then they were just normal, slightly tall dudes depending on the guest actor for the rest of the show :(