Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kind of a tough block of games for the NES run, for me.

37. Pro-Wrestling
i don't like any of these early wrestling games. it takes me forever to figure out what i'm doing. this one was particularly hard. it took me almost all day and i had to get absolutely filthy with the save scumming. at least it sort of gave personality to the wrestlers compared to previous NES wrestling games, and i bet it looked cool if you were into this thing at the time. it's just not for me, even if i can kind of see how it was cool. i was used to the sports games going really quickly so this threw me for a loop. the next two did go fairly quickly, at least:

38. Slalom
this was the first game for the NES developed by the perverts at rare. i had a skiing game for the intellivision that was more fun. you can do tricks when you jump off moguls, though, which i admit was cool. this did take me a little longer than some of the other sports games because it has so many levels.

39. Volleyball
not sure if this would even have been fun 2 player. the game just kind of assigns control to the player it thinks is closest to the ball, which isn't always who you expect, and the other players mill around enough that you don't always know who you're controlling. i just played one match, as the US vs. Tunisia, as the women's team. the game just ends and goes back to the beginning after one match, though. i don't think the teams are any different except for uniforms and skin color. the players gyrate pretty wildly the whole game which is pretty funny.

probably going to push through to castlevania and then go back to dragon quest 4 for awhile, Pro-Wrestling wore me out a little. moving to Rush 'n' Attack but i don't know if i'll finish it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

okay, got through 2 more.

40. Rush 'n' Attack
probably only liked this as much as i did because of the relief of coming off the sports games, lol. the plot is some kind of cold war "kill all soviets" thing but whatever. the gameplay is very similar to stuff like Trojan, but this was easier. all the powerups were limited either by a timer or only had 3 shots(which went away at the end of the level, so there was no need to save them), which i kind of liked. the only kind of bad thing is that the boss fights are mostly just onslaughts of regular enemies, but i did like the final "boss" being a missile you have to blow up by collecting powerups from some of the guys running in. same issue as a lot of early games that a lot of it is about learning how to scroll so the bad guys appear on the side of the screen you want them to.

Track and Field
i had to spend most of my time on this trying to figure out the controls. hopefully the game manual was as clear as gamefaq's odino. once i knew how to do things, the only hard event was archery. i guess this would have been cool with four players back in the day. it just loops around once you do all the events, so i count qualifying as beating it - it continues to loop and each round and quals get harder up to 10 times, but i'm not playing the same game 10 times.

i think my controller is having problems with the down button though, so Ghosts and Goblins isn't AS terrible a port as i thought it was. the burger time guy keeps freezing on the ladders. hopefully i have a spare USB controller lying around somewhere, castlevania is next after burger time and i don't want to have to wait for a controller to ship.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I've never seen level 4 of Burger Time, good luck with Mr. Pickle.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

I've never seen level 4 of Burger Time, good luck with Mr. Pickle.

oh does Lyle have opinions on burger time?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Metroid Dread - hell yeah

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

rush n attack is cool and a pretty decent port

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

its good. thanks for asking

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

since it gives you multiple pathways to complete the level, multiple branching pathways, and risk/reward scoring system, it is simultaneously the best metroidvania, the best dark souls, the best roguelike, the best speedrun game, and the best immersive sim.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

buffalo all day posted:

I think the only thing that killed me was the final boss in the final road chase sequence - but that didn’t make it any less fun.

i hated this boss and all the other motorcycle fights. i don't know if they made any changes in the ps5 version

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i liked roche

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

since it gives you multiple pathways to complete the level, multiple branching pathways, and risk/reward scoring system, it is simultaneously the best metroidvania, the best dark souls, the best roguelike, the best speedrun game, and the best immersive sim.

Prepare to Fry

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Prepare to Fry

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the road chases were cool because the lady said how sexy and cool you are the hole time. BUT, i don't remember if at any point the game shifts to a first person persective so jessie can say I Love You, like the pov does when aerith and tifa say I Love You

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-FcPb2kclU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
burgertime is insanely frustrating. to me

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

b_d posted:

i hated this boss and all the other motorcycle fights. i don't know if they made any changes in the ps5 version

those fights still sucked, I should have said that the game being easy didn’t make it less fun - the
road stuff was def the worst part, but as long as I was winning I just got through it. Having to refight it though and trying to get the speed right, gah

Fungah! posted:

i liked roche

yeah he was cool and that fight was fun

Dlc spoiler: was also p funny when he showed up to play fort condor with yuffi

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fungah! posted:

star fox 64 - hard route. cool fuckin game. no gold medals, i did get enough hits on venom hard except fuckin slippy died. definitely playing more of this for a while but first ocarina

star fox 64 is ftw and it gets even more ftw when u know the secret technique to big scores

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

star fox 64 is ftw and it gets even more ftw when u know the secret technique to big scores

whats the secret?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

trying to jack off posted:

whats the secret?

Shoot more enemies.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

whats the secret?

turning it off and playing space harrier instead :newlol:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

this. ive played that rear end a million times and it's still one of the sickest games

epic claim to fame is being on the couch for the agdq 14 score attack run. please ignore banjo kazooie rapist stivitybobo also on the couch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvYwDotkoTk

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

durr

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its so good, routing each level is insanely ftw. i got all medals on everything but uhhh i think solar? as a kid so i want to at least get hard mode over the next year

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

stivitybobo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

David Lee Roth voice:

b_d posted:

stivitybobo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

kind of a tough block of games for the NES run, for me.

38. Slalom
this was the first game for the NES developed by the perverts at rare. i had a skiing game for the intellivision that was more fun. you can do tricks when you jump off moguls, though, which i admit was cool. this did take me a little longer than some of the other sports games because it has so many levels.

Did you finish Mt. Nasty

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

heehee posted:

this. ive played that rear end a million times and it's still one of the sickest games

epic claim to fame is being on the couch for the agdq 14 score attack run. please ignore banjo kazooie rapist stivitybobo also on the couch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvYwDotkoTk
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

if i avert my eyes from all the rapists, conartists, etc at gdq, how ill i be able to look upon the poggersEpicPepegyashittingParpoHoipe during awesome gaming feats like borderlands 1-3 speedruns and a hotelful of rapists/conartist shouting kill the animals in unison...???

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Carto

Pretty good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
hades upgraded to all achievements unlocked

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

if i avert my eyes from all the rapists, conartists, etc at gdq, how ill i be able to look upon the poggersEpicPepegyashittingParpoHoipe during awesome gaming feats like borderlands 1-3 speedruns and a hotelful of rapists/conartist shouting kill the animals in unison...???

turning your monitor on?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

whats the secret?

basically the multikill bonus for charge shots isn't checking for how many enemies got killed at once by the shot, it's just checking if an enemy got killed by the shockwave and slapping an extra point on if they did. so you can hold both the lean buttons to make it so your charge shots don't lock on, aim your shots so they hit something close to the enemy instead so they die from the shockwave rather than the shot, and get the multikill bonus points on single enemies/extra points on groups

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/1452820630752030731

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

space harrier is ftw as well.... there will be no conflict on this page

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
SF64 ftw and Roche ftw. Felt robbed when the former didn't get any good sequels as a kid and when the later just never showed up again as an adult

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

basically the multikill bonus for charge shots isn't checking for how many enemies got killed at once by the shot, it's just checking if an enemy got killed by the shockwave and slapping an extra point on if they did. so you can hold both the lean buttons to make it so your charge shots don't lock on, aim your shots so they hit something close to the enemy instead so they die from the shockwave rather than the shot, and get the multikill bonus points on single enemies/extra points on groups

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/1452820630752030731

oh my god this is going to make sector z so easy to medal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

burgertime is insanely frustrating. to me

i hate burger time. i managed to get to level 4 by the skin of my teeth (and i had to use two of the pepper sprays) and there are still three levels left. i'm going to have to have a hot dog for lunch tomorrow just to have my revenge.